Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ There's Not A Thing I Would Change ❯ Where Do We Go After? ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~*~I've been working very hard to figure out SOMETHING to write, considering I've been blocked and oh so very busy lately. A weird thanks to those who reviewed and have emailed me, though that was a bit creepy. As I said, the chapter comes when it comes. And here it is.~*~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~
 
Chapter Twelve: Where Do We Go After

White. All around him was white. So much white, it was sickening. It looked like the inside of a hard white marshmallow. Groaning, Van closed his eyes and spoke hoarsely. “So much friggin white. I must be in hell.”
A soft groan came from the left, causing him to open his eyes once again. “Has to be hell if you're still bothering me.” Something stirred as Van saw a sandy brunette head on his bed. “Wait…” The head of hair shot up as emerald eyes bore into his maroon orbs, a look of relief and surprise within them. “Oh Kami! You're awake!”
A small smirk appeared on his face as an old joke slipped from his chapped lips. “Thank you, Captain Obvious.” His whole body was in pain when he shifted slightly in the bed, making him wonder. “What happened?”
Hitomi lowered her head a bit as her voice became serious. “You were hit by a car.”
“Feels like it. How long was I out?”
The girl stood up from her chair to stretch out all the kinks in her body. “Well, you've been in a coma for about four months now. You're mom will be back in five minutes.” (A/N: Don't give me that look! It works!)
His eyes went wide as he took in what she had said. “Four months?!?”
“Good to know your ears still work.” At this point, Hitomi was standing by the window, gazing out of it instead of looking at him. She seemed so distant, so lost in thought. What he wouldn't give to know what she was thinking at that exact moment…
A question jumped off his lips before he could rethink it. “Have you been here all this time?”
A sort of snort laugh came from her, though she never turned to face him. “Don't flatter yourself, Fanel. Last I'd checked, I had a life that doesn't revolve around you. I came because your mom needed a bit of rest and asked me to sit with you. That's all.”
The anger and coldness in her voice startled him greatly. “Hitomi…”
“Why?” Her voice was soft, a defeated whisper, but he heard her. “Why did you have to be so stupid? Didn't you see that car? You almost… you could have…” The girl paused slightly before she spoke again. “Why did you…”
Before Van could say anything, Hitomi brought a hand to her face as she turned and headed towards the door. “I'll tell the nurse you're awake. Your mom should be here soon.”
A sense of panic and guilt overtook him as he cried out her name. “Hitomi! Please don't go.”
She didn't even pause as she walked out the door, whispering a tiny “I'm sorry.”
Van kept his gaze at the door even after she disappeared. Even after everything, Hitomi still could not forgive him. You'd think getting hit by a car and being in a coma for four months would gain him something.
His gaze went to the ceiling before closing his eyes, reflecting on all that happened. Four whole months he had lost when he should have been with her, loving her. Then again, he had already lost eleven years of being able to do that. Not too much time passed before Varie came into the room, breaking him from his thoughts as relief came from her voice. “Oh thank Kami. I was so worried.”
Van's eyes opened as he smiled at his mother. “Sorry mom.”
Taking large steps, she quickly came to his side and held his hand in her own. “I had at first thought Hitomi beat you into a coma, which wouldn't surprise me.” Seeing her son's face grow sadder, she sighed. “She was very worried about you. Every single day, she was here, sitting in that chair unmoving. Usually, she spent the night here in that chair with her head resting on the bed. I'm surprised she left the room before I came.” She paused a bit before continuing. “Why was she sitting outside the door crying?”
Lowering his head, the patient sighed. “She felt guilty, I think. She kept asking why, then left before I could respond. I never wanted to make her cry.”
Caution was in her voice before asking, “So you still haven't told her?” A shake of his head was her answer. “Give her a little time after you tell her. It's something to think about, considering everything.”
The man nodded, understanding what she meant. Hitomi didn't really hear that he loved her. That alone she would find skeptical. Why should she believe him anyway, considering what he had done? Would she ever trust him again?
Varie sighed and kissed her son's forehead. “Everything will be alright, regardless of her actions. You never know what will come at the last minute.”
A soft smile formed on his lips. “Dad said that to me. He made me realize everything, just how blind I was.”
Confusion found its way onto Mrs. Fanel's face, but it washed away quickly. “He always had a knack for that, especially for you children. He loved you all so much.”
“He's still here, mom. He always will be watching over us, including you.”
A soft smile formed on her face over his statement when a small knock was heard at the door. Standing there smiling was a man with a long white coat and sharp blue eyes behind nice glasses. He held a chart in his hand as he made his way over to the patient. “It's nice to know you're finally awake, Mr. Fanel. I'm your doctor, Eriol Hiragizawa. How are you feeling?”
“Like I've been hit by a truck.”
“Lucky you. It was only a car. Do you want the bad news or the good news first?”
Confused, Van looked at his mother who had turned her gaze away from him. “Give it to me straight, doc.”
Taking a breath, Eriol began. “The good news is due to the fact you've been resting, most of your injuries have healed. You'll still have to use crutches for awhile, since your foot is not completely healed yet. The bad news is due to the massive head trauma you've sustained, you will be experiencing exceptionally painful headaches or migraines. I can't say how long they will last or when they will happen. You could have them for a month, a year, or for the rest of your life. The longest recorded migraine due to this type of injury was two days. This will physically cripple you until it passes. My main concern is that you don't get addicted to pain killers. It has happened.”
The maroon eyed man sat in silence for a moment. Finally, his hoarse voice broke through the quiet atmosphere. “So my biggest health problem is bad headaches. Doesn't sound half as bad as what I have to do to get her to forgive me.”
Smiling, the doctor consulted the chart in his hand. “Considering everything, including your positive outlook, I think you can be released in a few days, depending on how you do after some physical therapy. Glad to have you back, Mr. Fanel.”
Raising his arm and extending his hand, the man in the bed smiled slightly. “Call me Van.”
Taking his hand and shaking it, the blue eyed man smiled again. “Eriol.” Once the greeting ended, the doctor cleared his throat. “If you excuse me, I have more patients to check up on. I'll be back later to answer any questions you may have.” With a nod of his head, Eriol turned and left the room to two members of the Fanel family.
With a sigh, Van turned to his mother once again. “So, what's happened since I've been asleep?”
Biting her lower lip, Varie looked at her son, questioning whether to say anything or not. After a few moments of deciding, she spoke, “Merle apparently is dating someone, but she won't let me meet him until you're awake. She really values your opinion. Folken's girlfriend moved in with him just two weeks ago…”
“Wait! Folken has a girlfriend??”
“Van, he's been seeing her for over a year now. You've met her at your twenty-fifth birthday.”
Confused, he thought for a moment. “I don't remember her.”
Rolling her eyes, the mother informed him. “She was the one hanging around Folken the entire time. Her name's Naria, very nice girl. She has a sister named Eriya. I think she's a fencing coach or something. Anyway, Naria works at the paper, the advice columnist or something like that.”
Again, Van was in deep thought. When did his brother do anything but work? Seeing his confused face, Varie sighed. “You were probably too busy with Hitomi to notice.” Immediately, she regretted that statement as her son's expression grew sad. Thinking it over for a moment, she decided to tell him what she feared would destroy the boy. “There's something else, Van. I was talking with Maaya not too long ago, and she told me something I think you should know.” When she had her son's attention, she took another deep breath and just let it out. “Hitomi sold her apartment. She's moving.”
“What?” He immediately sat up and winced, as the pain his body felt was still there. “When? Why?”
“She didn't saw when, but I have a feeling it's soon. Do I even need to tell you why?”
Lowering his head, Van brought a hand to his face. “I really screwed up, didn't I?” No reply was given as the man sat there and let his thoughts consume him. Was this truly the end? It couldn't be, not after everything they've been through. There had to be something he could do to get through to her. “It can't end like this. It just can't.” With swift movement, he grabbed the intercom button by his bed, paging the nurse. Before his mother could question him, the nurse came in. He did not give her a chance to speak either. “I need to see my doctor, now.” With the tone of his voice, the nurse did not question as she ran out of the room in search of the doctor. Varie turned to him again as he spoke, “I need to get out now. There's no time to waste.”
There was only silence when Eriol entered the room again. “What is it? Something wrong?”
Van, at this point, was already out of bed looking for the crutches he needed. “You can say that again. I only have so much time before the love of my life leaves for… for who knows how long. I have to find her and make everything alright again. I have to tell her I love her and that I always have without knowing it. I have to, before it's too late. I… I have to.”
The doctor watched this with a bit of sorrow flowing through him. “I'm sorry, Van, but you're not ready to leave the hospital just yet.”
Maroon eyes collided with blue orbs with desperation and seriousness. “I've wasted eleven years before I realized how I felt. It's not a matter if I'm physically ready, but whether I am emotionally. It doesn't matter if I'm ready or not. This is my last chance and I have to take it.”
The doctor looked at the man before him, debating with himself. After another moment of silence, he sighed. “Tell you what. I'll give you twenty-four hours. You must be back in the hospital within that time frame, understand?”
A small smile grew on the raven haired man's face. “Arigatou, Eriol. You have my word.” With a nod of the head, the blue haired man took out Van's IV and got him ready for the outside world.
~
Green leaves decorated the trees, showing that new life had begun in Gaia. Everywhere you turned, there was life happening, whether in the face of a small child walking with its mother or in a man walking by with his head up in the clouds. Life does not stop for a moment. It continues on until the end of time. Even then, something will go on.
At that moment, a man with dark raven hair was seen on the street, using crutches for support. His face held determination as he hobbled down the busy street. Only one thing was on his mind. He had to get to her, convince her to stay.
Her apartment was not that far away. If only he wasn't held back by his stupid foot. `I wonder if they ever found the guy who hit me.' Shaking his head, Van silently pleaded that everyone would suddenly jump out of his way. Knowing that was impossible, he continued on, each stride making him more and more determined.
The door was not within reach. Panting slightly, he soon realized he would need to wait for someone to let him in. Knowing this could take awhile, his impatient side came forth as he pushed a random button on the intercom. With a slight crack, a female voice broke through. “Yes?”
Taking a deep breath, he began. “I'm sorry to bother you, Miss, but it is vitally important that I get into this building.”
A moment passed before the mysterious woman replied, “Who is this?”
“My name is Van Fanel. Please, I beg you; let me into this building while I still have time.”
A confused voice broke through. “Van Fanel??”
“Yes…”
“Wait there a moment. My buzzer's broken. I'll come down and let you in.”
With a smile on his face, he answered, “Thank you very much!”
Leaning against the wall, Van waited for the mysterious female to open the first obstacle between him and his best friend. Finally, the door opened and a woman with red hair stood there, brown eyes wide as a smile grew on her face. “Van Fanel. It's been awhile.”
Confused, the man looked her over. “Excuse me?”
A small laugh came from her lips. “I'm not surprised you don't remember me. Last time I saw you was the high school fundraiser.” Holding out her hand, she continued to smile. “Lin Nagano. We were in high school together.”
Taking her hand in his, Van began to think. Suddenly, it all clicked. “Wait, you mean…”
~Flashback~
“Van! You better come quick!”
The said boy looked up at the girl running towards him. “What's wrong, Lin?”
The little red head took a few breaths for she had been running around trying to find him. “It's Merle.”
Van didn't think twice. “Where is she?”
“The quad.”
With that, he sprinted off in that direction, hoping to get there in time.
~End Flashback~
“And then at the…”
~Flashback~
The lights came up as a woman with vibrate red hair came onto the stage. “Thank you everyone. I hope you are enjoying our Salute to Broadway. It's simply amazing to see such talent hidden in our faculty. And a great warm thank you to Ms. Millerna Aston who came all the way from Broadway to perform tonight! I haven't heard `If I Loved You' from the show `Carousel' sung quite like that. Now, we're shifting the focus slightly to a production more recent than the other more tradition shows. The show is called `Wicked' and the teacher heading this musical area is our choir director, Ms. Hitomi Kanzaki.”
Applause was heard throughout the auditorium as the red head walked off and Hitomi walked on.
~End Flashback~
Blinking a few times, Van looked at the woman oddly as she just smiled. “You've been here the whole time. You were the one that helped me meet her.”
“Hitomi?” Lin softened her smile as she continued to speak with him. “I'm surprised you remembered that.”
Shaking his head, he embraced her, startling the woman a bit. “Thank you. If it wasn't for you, none of this would have happened.”
Pushing him back a bit, Lin focused her brown eyes on his maroon ones, the smile no longer on her face. “But you have to hurry, Van. She's leaving soon. You have to finish what you started. You have to make her understand how you feel.”
“What do you…?”
“I was there, Van. I saw what happened.” Seeing the confused look sent her way, she shrugged. “My cousin invited me to attend. I saw you two talking at one point with his fiancée. Millerna really is such a sweetheart.”
Maroon eyes went wide as his jaw dropped open a bit. “You're Dryden Fassa's cousin??”
“Guilty. After Hitomi was introduced to someone, Allen left her and tried flirting with me. That man should be castrated.”
~Flashback~
Straining her head around all the massive amounts of people, Millerna pointed in one direction. “She's over there. Allen's introducing her to someone. Knowing him, he'll do that then leave her to flirt with someone else.”
~End Flashback~
Van gave her a suspicious look. “Just how long have you been involved?”
Sighing, Lin rolled her eyes at him. “Well let's see here. After graduation, I went to Fried College, just like Hitomi. I found out through my friend Haru that she was there. I think he had a crush on her or something. She also went out with my other friend Kenshin. Anyway, I graduated early and came back here to teach. Next thing I knew, Hitomi was teaching choir and I was principal. I saw you come meet her for lunch now and then, but thought it best not to say anything. Oh, and why did that asshole come get her? That stupid blond bastard. I threw him out first chance I got. Their little date was disgusting as well. It was like they followed me there or something. He was such an ass. Keep her thin figure in check? What the hell was that?”
~Flashback~
“The waiter came and he ordered for me a nice tossed salad. He said it was to keep my thin figure in check.”
~End Flashback~
“Oh, when I saw him walk in one day, I had Hitomi go into her office while I told one of the kids to `have fun' and that I would pardon them this one time. Wow, that was fun. Anyway, that's about it.”
Van continued to just blink at her. “What, were you stalking us?”
“I just happen to be at the same places you two were.” Dismissing his weird look, she grabbed his arm and pulled him inside without further damaging his foot. “How fast can you move with that thing?”
The man looked at her oddly. “I'm okay. Why?”
Lin looked at the stairs, then over to the elevator. “Guess we'll have to use the elevator. Come on then.” Moving as quickly as he could with crutches, Van followed the red head to the magical vertically moving box and waited as it rose into the heavens. “I don't know when she's leaving, but all her stuff's in boxes and ready to go.” Pausing for a moment, she turned and asked, “And why didn't you jump out of the way? The car honked its horn and everything!”
*Sweatdrop*
`She really has been everywhere, hasn't she?' Van sighed while waiting for the doors to open. Once they did, he hobbled over to Hitomi's door, preparing himself to knock. Lin smiled and turned to walk away. “You better hurry, Van. She's been out of a job since yesterday. Tell her how you feel. It might be the only way.” Before he could turn to thank her, she was gone.
`That woman makes me nervous.' Raising his fist, he pounded on the door, still supporting himself with the wooden crutches. After waiting for a moment, the door opened slowly as familiar emerald eyes focused on him. “Van? What are you…”
“Don't do it, Hitomi.”
Shaking her head in confusion, she asked, “Do what?”
“Don't leave.”
Sighing, the sandy brunette leaned against the door frame, closing her eyes for a moment. “Why are you doing this?”
Van felt his entire body begin to panic as he spoke. “Did you really think I wouldn't say anything? Hitomi, you mean the world to me. There is no one else that I treasure more than you. Ever since high school, that has been the case, but I've been too blind to realize it. Please, don't leave the place you consider home because I was stupid. If anyone should leave, it's me. You have a life here, and I never wanted to take it all away from you. Hitomi, please don't leave. Don't leave me. I…”
Before he could finish, two delicate fingers covered his mouth, stopping all his words from surfacing. “Don't say it.” With eyes hidden beneath her bangs, Hitomi continued. “Don't say it. I don't want to hear it. I have lived for eleven years, thinking you were someone special, someone unique. Eleven years I wasted on someone who didn't even truly see or understand me. If you did, you never would have taken so long to figure out at least how I once felt. If you are asking if you are the cause for my leaving, then, in a way, yes. I have to leave in order to find myself and to allow myself to move on, so I can be happy. Do not say anything that will make me lose my courage. I have to leave. Please do not make this even more difficult for me. If you cared at all for me in even the slightest bit, honor our once precious friendship and let me go.” Slowly taking her fingers away, the woman did not even look up as she began closing the door. “It's too late now, Van. You're just too late.” With that, the door closed as the metal chain slid into place, blocking Van Fanel with his once best friend and his one true love, his soul mate, Hitomi Kanzaki.
~Flashback~
To his dismay and horror, Hitomi pulled away from him, out of his grasp. “Van, you're too late. I'm getting married. I've moved on, Van. I'm so sorry.” Shaking her head at him, Hitomi picked up her bouquet and walked towards the door, away from him. As she was about to leave, he heard her whisper softly, “Why couldn't you have figured it out sooner?”
Van whirled around to face her. “Hitomi!” But it was too late. Hitomi had already walked out the door, out of his life and into the waiting arms of another man. The maroon eyed man sank to his knees and tried to force away the tears that threatened to fall. He had lost her, forever.
~End Flashback~
 
With a heavy heart, Van turned and wobbled away, not even bothering to wipe a stray tear away. Behind the closed door, however, an emerald eyed girl sank to the ground with her back against the door. Bringing her knees up to her chest, she rested her head on them before crying her eyes out. It wasn't until nightfall when the female fell asleep laying by the door, unable to move to the bed she had slept in for years.
~
The sun began to rise, brilliant reds and violets spreading across the dark sky. Parents were awakening to take their child from the pleasant dreams of anime viewing and candy. People rose and began getting ready to spend yet another day working. Somewhere in a tall white building with a large red cross was a man with maroon eyes, eyes that peered out to the outside world with great sadness. He sat by the large window unmoving, not listening to whatever his visitors advised him to do. Nothing mattered at that moment; all emotions except great sadness left him, leaving him a hollow shell of a man.
No one could move him from his perch at the window. Folken even took part of the day off to try to make his brother move with no such luck. Nothing could be done for the man, for to him, life had completely ended. In just a few hours, the woman his heart longed for would be gone, possibly never to return and there was nothing he could do about it. He didn't even know where she was going. All he knew was that she was leaving her world behind, leaving because of what he had done to her. A single tear fell from his eye as his head lowered and rested on his knees, grieving for the loss of his other half, the love he never really knew.
Somewhere else, a male with sandy brown hair and deep green eyes walked out of a large apartment building carrying a medium sized box with some difficulty. Behind him, a much larger box with legs came up and kicked him. “Move it, squirt!”
The male looked back and glared. “Hey! It's not my fault you have so much crap.”
The box walked around and put itself down in the big U-Haul trailer. Walking out was an emerald eyed female about the age of twenty-six. “Boy, you've been trying to haul that tiny box for the past half hour. By the time you got it from my apartment to the sidewalk, I practically finished packing up the trailer.”
“Hey, it's not my fault you're freakishly strong!”
“Children! Knock it off before I knock it off for you.” Both of them turned to watch an older woman walking out with a small box in her hands. Emerald eyes focused on the two younger people as she shook her head. “Honestly, you two act as if you're still in middle school.”
“Hitomi started it!”
“Remember, I can still beat you so hard it'll make you cry.”
“Mom!”
“Kenji. Hitomi. Don't make me come over there.”
A sigh came from Hitomi as she looked at Maaya. “Is that the last box, mom?”
“Hai. You might want to head up and take another look, just in case.”
With a nod, the female walked up the long flight of stairs and pushed open the door to her now empty apartment. Looking around, the place looked so lonely and depressing, reflecting exactly how she felt inside. The female walked around as memories flashed in her mind. All the late night movie sprees, the pillow fights, the relaxing moments when they just hung out on the couch. Why were all her memories surrounding… him? A tear ran down her face as she brushed it away with her hand. Could she never get away from him, never have a life without him somehow coming into her thoughts? When had he taken over her life, her mind? Shaking her head, she knew that happened the day she agreed to be his friend, and then when she realized she was in love with him.
~Flashback~
When she got home that day, Hitomi walked up to her bedroom and flopped down on her bed, content with just staring at the silver ring on her pointer finger. Van had just given it to her today and she could not help but look at it all day during class. He had called it a friendship ring, but when he slipped it on her finger, something inside her changed. It was like a million butterflies began fluttering around. That ring felt more like a promise ring, as if he promised to always be there. Never had she had that kind of security outside her family.
Smiling, Hitomi turned on her back and held her hand up to the ceiling, looking over the intricate designs on the Celtic ring. It really was unique and beautiful. Van really was considerate and so nice. It was a wonder he even hung out with her. Eyes going wide, the girl sat up quickly as a blush formed on her face. No way. There was no way Hitomi Kanzaki had a crush on Van Fanel! There was just no way! As images of his face, especially his smile, flashed through her mind, Hitomi sighed and sank into her pillow. “No!” It was true. When did it start happening? It could have been at anytime, considering they were pretty much joined at the hip.
Maaya's voice broke through her thoughts. “Hitomi! Van's here to see you!”
Sitting up, she took a deep breath before walking over to the door. “Get a grip, girl. It's just Van. We're just hanging out like we do everyday. It's okay, no big deal. Get a grip!”
“Do you always talk to yourself or is this a one time thing? Cause we can always stop by the mental institute.”
A nervous smile appeared on her face as she saw the humor in his maroon eyes. “Oh I love that place. With the rubber walls and the white jackets that make you hug yourself, what's not to love?”
That smile on his face sent those annoying butterflies to flight in her stomach. With all her might, she suppressed the heat from forming on her face as she walked towards him. `We're just friends. That's all. It's nothing to get excited about. Just friends.'
“And now you're dazing? Come on, Kanzaki. We're gonna miss the movie.”
With a smile on her face, Hitomi grabbed her jacket and ran out the door. “Race ya.”
“Cheater!” The raven haired male ran after his best friend while she smiled a secretive smile. `I wonder how long it will take him to figure it out.'
~End Flashback~
With a sigh, Hitomi wiped away another tear. “I lost eleven years here. I'm not going to waste anymore. This is the last tear I will shed for that time. Goodbye… Van…”
Nodding her head in determination, the emerald eyed female moved to leave when something caught her eye. In the corner was another small box not taped up or labeled. Curiosity got the better of her, causing the girl to go over and look at the mysterious box. “Mom said she got the last one.” Reaching over, she pulled over the flap and instantly, she hitched in her breath. The box was filled with old pictures, pictures of her and him. Smiling at high school graduation, hang out after college graduation, all the times they had been together. Why? Why now? Closing her eyes and taking a deep breath, she closed the box, picked it up and walked out of the apartment, closing its door and to her life in Gaia.
When she walked out of the building, Kenji was the first to speak up. “I see you found another one. Hey!” Quickly, he ran to catch the box she threw at him. “What's the big idea?”
“Get rid of that for me, will ya?”
Confused, the younger male looked at his sister. “What is it?”
Without looking at her family, Hitomi walked toward her car. “Eleven years of lies.”
The two other Kanzakis looked at each other and sighed. They didn't have to look to figure out what was in the box. Kenji took it to his car. “I'll take care of it, sis.”
Opening the car door, Hitomi was stopped as her mother's hand was placed on her shoulder. “Are you sure about this, honey?”
A small smile was what Mrs. Kanzaki received. “This is what I need to do, to finally move on. Don't worry. I'll call you when I reach Basram.”
“Now, who is it you're meeting?”
“Marlene, Millerna's older sister. I'll be living with them for awhile until I find a place of my own. She said I could repay her by watching her son, Chid, since her husband works a lot. He's about five years old.”
Kenji smirked and a small chuckle escaped his lips. “I thought you hated little children.”
With a smirk of her own, Hitomi looked at her kid brother. “I can tolerate them… for awhile. I'll deal with it.”
“Sure you will.”
“Shut up, you jack ass, and give your sister a hug before she leaves.” Hitomi smiled as Kenji came over and engulf her in his arms. “I'll miss ya, kid”
“I could always kill him for you, that way you won't have to leave.”
A smile graced her lips as she removed herself from her brother's arms. “Then I'd have to visit my baby brother in jail after he became someone's bitch.”
He just smiled as their mother took her daughter in her arms. No words passed between them as they held each other close, not knowing when they will be this close again. As they separated, both smiled at each other, a smile that only women can share after the lost of their loved one. With a nod of her head, Hitomi climbed into her car, started up the engine and drove again, only turning to wave goodbye to her family. With that, she went on the highway and left Gaia as the sun sank into the horizon.
In the hospital, Van lifted his head and watched the golden star fall behind the landscape, a tear falling from his eye. With a sigh, he rested his head on his knees once again. “She's gone.”
 
~*~Oh! I'm so sorry for the delays, but it had to happen. Thanks again for all the emails and such. I really loved hearing from all of you. I have one or two more chapters left in me, BUT YOU HAVE TO WAIT!!! School comes first. Just be lucky you're getting this one. Ja ne!~*~