Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Twilight of Escaflowne ❯ Pleased to Make Your Acquaintance ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ok, this disclaimer applies to all chapters from here on out. I do not own Escaflowne, or Twilight, or any other works expressed in this fanfic.
 
 
-.:Twilight of Escaflowne:.-
Chapter 7
Pleased to Make Your Acquaintance
 
The next few days, I didn't see hide or hair of Van, or any of the Fanels for that matter. It was almost a week before I saw them at lunch again, but there was still no sign of Van. `Must have one nasty cold' I thought.
 
Two weeks after my arrival in Fanelia, I drove into school early to see him leaning against his car…his very nice car… HOW THE HELL DID HE GET A CAR LIKE THAT?!?!? IN A TOWN LIKE THIS NO LESS!!!
 
The object of my ogling was a very sharp red Ferrari. I could already feel my mouth beginning to water. I pulled my not-so-sharp car up right next to his and got out. My mouth obviously hadn't closed yet (in fact, it must have been hanging down to the ground) for Van couldn't suppress his chuckle.
 
“I see you have taken a liking to this baby,” he pointed out.
 
“Yes, it's beautiful. Where did you get a car like this?!”
 
“Oh this is nothing. Wait till you see my sister, Millerna's, car. Then you'll really drool.” He seemed to take amusement in the fact that my mouth was falling off my face cause his smile showed no hint of subsiding. “So, what brings you to school this early in the morning?”
 
“I always come to school really early. I like being the first one here to watch everyone else show up. Plus it gives me sometime to myself before school starts.”
 
“Well, it appears that I beat you.”
 
“Yes, it does appear that away. And why is that may I ask?”
 
“Ah, but I showed up early just for you. Do you mind if I intrude on your “alone” time to take you out for cocoa and maybe a bite to eat?”
 
“No, not at all, but you really don't have t—”
 
“I insist. Really it's no big deal, and you can go ahead and swallow that remark because I intend to apologize for my behavior and you my find that I can be quite stubborn, so you might as well acquiesce.”
 
With a sigh, I complied. “Alright but on one condition,” he looked expectantly at me, “we're taking my car.”
 
“That rundown piece of junk?” I took personal offense to that.
 
“Have respect. This car is probably older than you.” I berated. I saw a peculiar smile flash on his face, but as quickly as it appeared, it was gone. It was sort of a mischievous smile, or like an `I know something you don't know' smile… I would ponder on it for the entire ride to the café.
 
I could see him continuously glance at the clock out of the corner of my eye. Then he audibly sighed, “Can this thing go any slower?” he asked with sarcasm dripping from every word.
 
“Sure it can,” I replied.
 
“Then for God's sakes pick up the pace.”
 
“Are you going to pay my speeding ticket?” I asked and glanced his way. He had a silly grin plastered onto his face. I would come to wonder if he was bipolar. He was a hostile, stuck up, `get the hell away from me' sort one minute, and the next he was a goofball or an airhead for lack of a better word. “What's gotten into you?” I laughed as I tossed my hair out of my face. He inhaled a deep breath through his nose and closed his eyes, as if he was smelling the most delicious fragrance, and slowly exhaled. “Oh, we're here.”
 
“Thank the Lord.” More sarcasm. I was beginning to wonder if it was his middle name.
 
I pulled into the parking lot of a cute little café just 5 minutes away from the school. I took a note of the time—7:15—and got out and locked up the car. I came around to where Van was standing, and we walked in together. He chose a window seat and pulled my chair out for me. I sat down and he went around the table to sit directly across from me.
 
“What can I get you kids to drink?” we both looked up to see a middle aged woman dressed in a white button up shirt with black slacks, holding a pencil and notebook.
 
“I'll have a cup of hot cocoa please.”
 
“Just water,” Van said after me.
 
“Alrighty then, here are your menus and your drinks'll be right out.”
 
“These won't be necessary.” I said as I attempted to hand her back my menu.
 
“You're not hungry?” Van asked
 
“No, I already ate breakfast.” I lied, and right on queue, my stomach growled. He raised an eyebrow at me. “Ok, I didn't eat breakfast, but I don't need to.”
 
“Yes, you do,” he took a menu from the waitress and put in front of me. “It's not healthy to skip meals,” he berated me.
 
“No really, I never eat breakfast,” I tried to explain. In the end, he won. So I accepted the menu and searched for the smallest and lightest breakfast I could find. I ended up ordering a meal big enough for a king, due to Van's bantering. Van had ordered for me sausage, eggs, pancakes, a bowl of fruit, a glass of milk and a glass of orange juice, biscuits and gravy, and steamed vegetables. I looked up at him. “What about you?” he just smiled.
 
When the waitress brought my meal out, it was all I could do from laughing. “You expect me to eat this all by myself?”
 
“No, I'll help you.”
 
“I do hope you're paying for this…” I glared at him.
 
“Why of course. I did say that I would take you out for a drink and a bite to eat didn't I.”
 
“Exactly; a drink and a bite to eat,” I stressed.
 
“Stop talking and enjoy you're breakfast. We're going to be late for school if you keep spouting excuses,” he said as he began to split my meal between the two of us. Even then, I couldn't eat it all. When I looked across the table at him, I noticed that he couldn't finish his either, in fact, it looked like he had hardly touched it. The waitress brought us our tab. I was afraid to look at it. He glanced at it and slipped out his debit card to give to the waitress.
 
“What time is it?” I asked
 
“7:30,” he replied.
 
“Really, it doesn't feel like it's only been 15 minutes. I feel as if we've been here and hour.”
 
“So, since I never did get to properly introduce myself,” he began and held out his hand, “my name is Van Fanel.”
 
I smiled and took his hand in a `cool' grasp “Pleased to make your acquaintance, Van. My name is Hitomi Kanzaki.”
 
“Well Miss Kanzaki—“
 
“Tomi, just call me Tomi.”
 
“Yes, Tomi. The pleasure is all mine.”
I just smiled and sat there in a comfortable silence. “Thank you, Van. The meal was excellent, and I accept your apology. I do hope we could do something like this again.”
 
“Certainly. You're going to have to allow me to intrude on your “alone” time more often,” he said, and revealed perfect teeth to me in a toothy grin. “But next time, I'm driving.”
 
“Deal.” I sighed and looked around for the clock to see it was 7:45. “As much as I hate too, we should probably get back to school before we're late.”
 
“Yes, a dreary obligation.” I laughed.
 
“You dislike school?” I asked, surprised. He seemed like the studious type.
 
“Unfortunately, yes. Well, shall we?” He gestured towards the exit.
 
I fell into step beside him as we left. `Funny,' I thought. `Who would've ever thought that this was the same man so repulsed by me not but a couple weeks ago.' I would have to remember to ask him about his mysterious absence later, and with that, there would be many other secrets I would come to learn about Van and his family. Secrets that were never intended for me (or anyone else for that matter) to find out.
 
I was never prepared for the change destiny held for me. I even wonder today if it wasn't all but a dream. My life was about to take a dramatic twist in what any sane person would consider a nightmare…
 
VvvVvvVvvVvvVvvVvvVvvVvvVvvVvvVvvVvvVvvVvvVvvVvvVvvVvvVvvV
 
HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE!! I hope the year of 2007 is treating you all better than it is me… but those are my issues… =P
 
Anywho, consider this my very belated Christmas present. I was supposed to have it up and posted on Christmas day, but, like I said, the holidays aren't treating me very well.
 
Thanks again, to everyone one who's reviewed and stayed with me so far. You all are soooo patient ^^;; YOU GUYS TRULY ROCK MY SOCKS!!! Lol
 
Well, as always, don't forget to review on your way out ^_~
 
Ciao
TEE