Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction / Flame Of Recca Fan Fiction ❯ Beautiful Alone ❯ Withdrawal ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Flame of Recca is the property of Nobuyuki Anzai as Weiβ Kreuz is owned by Koyasu Takehito and Project Weiβ.
WK/FOR Crossover: Beautiful Alone
Chapter 6: Withdrawal
My line of sight was blurry as I felt the lids of my eyes droop heavily. My mind was totally blank except for my craving of a nice soft bed.
 
'Sleep...'
 
I knew that I needed to keep awake but the sandman's been beckoning me to sleep. In class no less... When I let my eyes close for a second, the sound of a book hitting the floor made me immediately snap out of my sleepy stupor. I realized that my arm had pushed the book off my desk as I was fighting off my sleepiness. Some of my classmates' eyes were on me after hearing the sound of the fallen book.
 
'Dammit...' I sighed before bending down to pick it up.
 
"Psst! Fuuko!" Recca, who was sitting behind me, discreetly caught my attention. I didn't want to take questions from him so I signaled him to halt before he spoke again.
 
I took a piece of paper from my notebook and wrote something down. I slipped it under his desk so as not to get caught by the teacher.
 
He opened the note and read: "Stop bothering me…"
 
I felt his stare burning at the back of my head through out the period.
 
-------------------
 
I clamped my hand over my mouth as I yawned for the umpteenth time that day. Last night was the start of my new job. And for some reason, even when I knew it was a bad idea to take another job from Ms. Kitada, I was desperate enough to take it.
 
The job was simple. But it barely left me to get any sleep. Plus the rain last night didn't help make it any easier. I was awake all night, shaking under duress of the cold torrents and running while retrieving apparently a very top-secret piece of information.
 
Everything was going okay until, I noticed the blinking red light in the corner of the room. Then finally at the sound of the security alarms had me panicking. The job obviously ended sloppily with a really long reprimand from Kitada-san and arriving home an hour before school.
 
So now, I'm trying to catch up with some rest instead of eating lunch even though I was hungry and supposedly studying for next period's pop quiz. I was at the most secluded area of the school which was the shady areas behind the school gym. I leaned my frame against the thick trunk of one of the school's oak trees and found a comfortable position before falling asleep.
 
------------------
 
I felt someone touching my shoulder shaking me awake. I opened my eyes, rubbing them to clear my vision.
 
"You just missed the rest of your afternoon classes..." the unmistakable voice of the stoic Iceman of Hokage had gotten me alert. I forgot that he was likely to show up here in the most secluded place in school. I had also noted the sounds of bouncing balls inside the gym and the voices of the different student athlete team members around.
 
"Yah... I figured much," I got up and dusted my skirt. Mikagami was standing a couple of feet away just beside the thick root where I slept, with deadpan eyes staring at me. Although for the past weeks, his attitude towards me was a little warmer. But even with his indifferent glare, I had sensed the very same look everybody else was giving me since I lost my family. I didn't need it. Especially not from him who should know better.
 
I ignored his presence and started walking back towards the main building to get my bag from the classroom. What he did next caught me off guard.
 
"Your monkey friends were looking for you. They've been looking for you. They asked me to pass you a message by any chance of bumping into you… They're going to the bowling alley," I lifted a brow at his sudden friendliness. This was new. He barely spoke a word of sympathy yet he thinks he can make it up by trying to act friendly. I had to stop him before he hurts himself.
 
I stopped walking and replied, "Nah... I'm kinda busy these days. You can go if you want, just don't play friendly now because of what happened. It doesn't bode well for your ice block reputation," the bitter words coming out of my mouth were shocking even to me. But somehow, it was how I was feeling towards the pretentious kindness he was extending.
 
I continued to walk away and even though I didn't look on his face, I knew the guilty look he had as he stared at my back.
 
Mikagami is the type of person who wouldn't give a damn as long as it doesn't directly affect him so if he thinks all those smarmy insults and cold shoulders he has given to me in the past didn't hurt, then he couldn't really blame me if I just treated him the same way. I'm sure he didn't defrost his heart overnight. And even if he did, all I could read from his extended kindness was pity.
 
My new found cynical façade has fully taken over. It's hard to trust people now even if we've been friends for so long. Ever since Recca had found his princess, I harbored this feeling of abandonment from him. And through out the course of the Urabutosatsujin, I suppressed this feeling. My tragedy just solidified it.
 
After all those years we've been together as friends, only this sweet, can-do-no-wrong, chaste girl came in between and it was over. The worst part was I couldn't hate Sakoshita Yanagi for that. Not because it was wrong but because it was hard to. She was so transparent that she was the easiest person to like. She's like a defenseless puppy that's so lovable and vulnerable that everybody can't help but feel protective of her. It's what pretty much drew all of us together when Kouran Mori was after her.
 
She brought out all our genuine sides, even the resident Ice block. As for me, I found Ganko because of her. And it was okay for a while because I had Ganko.
 
But it finally came to my lowest point that my friendship with Recca had proved to be not as strong as I had assumed. I had lost everything and all I got from everyone was pity, including the person I had known since I was 5.
 
So from that moment during my parents' wake when I realized my value in their lives, I decided to get away from them and slowly remove myself from their lives. I figured it didn't take much to let them go. But it does hurt until now because we've all been through so much together even if it was only for a few months.
 
I made my way back to the classroom to retrieve my bag. The halls only had a few students left. I ran into my homeroom teacher and asked me where I was all afternoon. I could only tell him I wasn't feeling well so I rested in the nurse's office. He reminded me that it was just a few weeks away from finals and I had to work hard to pull up my grades especially in English and History. I remembered the promise I made myself that I had to study more so I could get into a good college. I tucked a mental note in my mind to make time to study even during work.
 
Speaking of work, I had excused myself from the teacher and hurried to get my things. When I got to the classroom, there were still a few students inside who were cleaning. I found my bag on the desk with a folded piece of paper on top. It was a note from Recca telling me that they were going to go bowling tonight and I was welcome to go. I contemplated for a while if I should text Yanagi that I couldn't go. I crumpled the piece of paper and threw it in the trash can by the door as I walked out.
 
`I shouldn't bother telling them I decline… They'll probably get the hint…'
 
As I got out of school grounds, I turned to see that it was already 4:30 in the afternoon. I only had 30 minutes to get to the other side of town where I had to meet Kitada-san, which usually takes an hour. I sprinted towards the nearest train station, bumping into several people and almost getting run over by a car while crossing during a green light.
 
I was still tired from last night's job as well as starving having not eaten the whole day. `Kami-sama, let all of this be worth it…' I prayed as I barely got into the bullet train as the doors were closing.
 
to be continued…
 
Author's Notes:
I really thought I would abandon this fic again… It's been a long time, ne? I got to writing this chapter just a week ago thinking I need to continue this as some form of therapy. Anyway, I'd appreciate some feedback so review if you feel like it. Can't promise you when I could release a new chapter but I will try to finish this. Just keep a look out for my next release.