Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ A New Dawn Arises ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Title: A New Dawn Arises
Author: JadeHeart
Located/Archived: Fanfiction.net. If anyone else would like it, please ask me first
Fandom: Knight Hunters:/Weiss Kreuz
Rating: T
Timeline: Picks up immediately from the ending of Knight Hunters: Eternity.
Warnings: violence
 
Authors Note: I've only seen the second series, Knight Hunters: Eternity, so I am unfamiliar with the previous events unless they were referred to in this series. This story was just prompted because I found the ending of the series especially completely heartbreaking.
Disclaimer: I do not own the characters in this, they belong to the creators, nor am I making any profits from this story.
Chapter 1
 
 
“Hey, are you all right?”
 
The quiet voice reached Aya's ears. He opened his eyes, raising his head a fraction with difficulty to meet the intense blue ones of the young man leaning over him.
 
“You…ji?” His lips tried to form the name.
 
No, he thought as the features swam before him, blurring. No, it wasn't Youji. Youji was gone - long gone. He wouldn't be here. It was just wishful thinking on his part, a yearning for the past.
 
No, Youji wasn't here. He was alone. Like always. He would die here - alone. A fitting end, he thought, a deserveded punishment for his many crimes.
 
He let his eyes close again as the darkness swept over his mind, dragging him down into its depths. He gave himself up to the pull, letting it take him. Perhaps now he might find peace. Finally.
 
*************
 
Youji didn't know why he had stopped. He had been hurrying on his way home through the snow. He had intended to cook tonight for Asuka after she had finished for the day, something that he enjoyed doing when he was able to. It wasn't often that he could so this was the first opportunity for some time for him to extend his culinary skills once more and impress his wife.
 
When the opportunity had arisen for Asuka to come to this city for further special training in her field, it had been too good an opportunity to pass up. They had discussed it extensively and finally agreed that she would accept the position. She had moved here on her own two weeks before, moving into a small apartment that had been provided by the hospital, whilst he had been forced to remain where he was until he could arrange some time off. They had spoken on the phone for hours each night during that forced separation, the first in their little over one year marriage.
 
Youji had found it surprisingly difficult during that time, waking each night with nightmares that he couldn't remember, but were enough to send him jerking from sleep in a cold sweat. All he could remember of them was the overwhelming feeling of despair and pain that continued to claw at the back of his mind for a few moments after waking until they mercifully began to fade. He didn't know anything more about then, but they frightened him.
 
It had been with great relief when he had been able to leave and join Asuka here for a two week break. He wasn't looking forward to having to return alone. Asuka would still have more than another two months before she was finished. He was hoping that he would be able to convince his superiors to allow him to take an extended break, even without pay if need be, just to avoid having to remain on his own for all that time. At least he would be able to be with Asuka, whilst he was with her the nightmares seemed to be held at bay.
 
He had been hurrying down the street, moving past the other pedestrians, feeling the gentle snow flakes drifting down onto his head. He looked up and watched them for a moment, before dropping his gaze once more to ensure he didn't lose his footing. The way the temperature was dropping it would no doubt be freezing tonight, with a heavy snowfall. That would make it difficult for Asuka to get to work tomorrow.
 
As he continued on his way, he stepped around a person in front of him and had seen the figure huddled near the post box by the side of the kerb. He had barely given it a passing glance, thinking it was no more than one of the few homeless people that you would sometimes see. He felt sorry for anyone that would have to be out in the weather that was coming, but what could you do?
 
He hadn't planned to do anything, thinking to simply continue on his way home. But as he drew even with the person he had found his steps slowing until he had stopped. He turned, wondering what he thought he was doing. He guessed he just pitied the person, probably some old man who had no where to go. Perhaps he could give him a little money so at least he could get something hot to drink and eat.
 
Leaning over the huddled figure he spoke softly, not wishing to startle the person, or seem that he was imposing his company on them. They might not appreciate his intervention if they had a lot of pride.
 
“Hey, are you all right?” he asked, wondering if he would receive any answer at all to his question.
 
The man's head rose slightly, his deep dark eyes looking up and meeting Youji's; eyes filled with pain and emptiness, before they slipped closed again and he slumped forward against the post box.
 
Youji had been surprised. It wasn't an old face as he had been expecting. This man was quite young still, although there were lines on that youthful skin that made him think of many years of pain and worry. He grew more puzzled by this turn of events. Just what was this man doing here?
 
He knelt down by the man's side, reaching out a hand to the shoulder, starting a little as the body slid sideways a little. It was then that Youji noticed the knife, and the spreading red stain on the man's shirt below his coat. He felt no shock at the sight, viewing it almost clinically.
 
The poor bastard had probably been a victim of a mugging, he thought, pulling his cell phone out. He dialed the number of the hospital Asuka was working at knowing it was not far from here. He didn't bother trying to call her cell and speak to her directly. If she was working she wouldn't be answering it anyway and it wasn't like she could do anything different to what he was doing right now.
 
He requested the ambulance, providing details of their exact location and the fact that they would be dealing with a knife wound, then had hung up. He knew enough not to try and remove the weapon. Firstly, whilst the wound was still bleeding certainly, the blood would be coagulating around the blade helping to seal the wound from further blood loss. Removing it without proper medical assistance would likely result in the victim rapidly bleeding to death.
 
Secondly, removing the knife could cause extreme damage internally. He had no idea how long the blade was or how far it had penetrated into the body. He had no way of knowing if it had severed any veins or arteries, punctured the kidneys or other organs in the thrust that had embedded it up to the hilt. Pulling the blade back out, the slightest twist could lacerate any other tissues on its reverse passage.
 
Youji didn't know how he knew all this, but he did. It was one of the things that made it easy for him to talk to Asuka about her work. He seemed to know something about wounds and medical treatment, which had made them wonder if at one time he had had medical training. It was just another part of his missing past.
 
He knelt closer to the side of the crumpled figure, reaching out a hand to touch the angular face. The skin was cold to his touch, the blood loss and shock to his body was beginning to take its toll. At this rate the man was just as likely to freeze to death or go into cardiac arrest from the strain on his body. Youji opened his coat and moved to kneel behind the man, pulling him carefully back against his own body, wrapping his coat around the both of them. They probably looked, to the casual observer, like lovers embracing. Admittedly it could look quite romantic with the snow softly falling still. His hand reached out and cupped the side of the upturned face, snow flecking the radiant redness of the hair, the skin still cold under his touch. He didn't seem to be getting any warmer.
 
He rested his cheek on the top of the head, feeling the silky hair touch his skin. It smelt clean and fresh. Obviously this was no homeless man, or if he was he certainly had enough funds or means to be able to keep himself in good condition.
 
He glanced down at the pale face, slightly tilted back. Long lashes rested on the cheeks, hiding those dark eyes he had briefly glimpsed before. Those eyes that had silently reached out to him, drawing him closer, pleading for …something.
 
It was an attractive face; long and angular, with high cheek bones. The short red hair was unusual in its colour, judging from the Oriental appearance of the features and it didn't look to be dyed either. However, in today's world of mixed marriages it wasn't entirely strange. In all, the shade seemed to suit the man. For some reason, Youji couldn't picture those features framed in any other colour except that vibrant red.
 
He saw some of the glances thrown their way by passer-bys, knew what they were thinking as they hurried on their way. He ignored them, simply drawing the other closer into his embrace, protecting him from the elements as best he could. He didn't care what anyone else thought because for some reason this felt…right.
 
He lifted his head quickly as the faint sound of a siren reached his ears. Ah, the ambulance was here. He looked down at this silent partner. Now he might have a chance. If they weren't too late.
 
He didn't relinquish his hold on the other until the paramedics were kneeling by thier side, only them moving out the way as they quickly assessed the damage, laying the stretcher down and maneuvering the limp form into it. They returned it to a slightly upright position to relieve some of the strain on the abdomen muscles that may have been damaged, as they lifted it into the ambulance.
 
Nothing was said as Youji quickly entered after them, although he wasn't sure why he felt compelled to do so. Surely he had done all he could and all that was expected of him. He was nothing more than a stranger passing by, a good Samaritan if you like. He had no further obligations here, and certainly no-one would expect anything more from him.
 
Yet, here he was. Seated opposite, out of the way, watching silently as the medic bagged the other man, monitoring the life signs as they cut away the material from the wound to assess it better. He heard them radioing the information through to the hospital, providing the details as asked for, the silent blasting out as they sped through the snow slick streets.
 
Youji watched carefully as the prone man laboured for each breath, the rise and fall of the chest uneven. He sat there, knees splayed, elbows resting on thighs, hands hanging between his legs casually, just watching, unable to take his eyes from that wane face. Why had he come? He didn't owe this man anything more. He had done his duty by calling the ambulance and that is where it should have ended. There was nothing more he could do now, it was completely out of his hands. It was now up to the man himself if he would live - or die.
 
He looked down at his feet, thinking. So why had he felt that he had to go with him? Why had his heart hurt to see the pain in those eyes?
 
He suddenly froze in place, remembering the one whispered word the man had said before lapsing into unconsciousness.
 
Youji slowly raised his head to look at the recumbent figure. Had he really said his name? Why? Why would he have said his name? Did he know him?
 
Since he had awoken in hospital more than a year ago he knew nothing more of himself. The only thing he had remembered had been his name - Youji, that was all. Whether it was his first or last name, even that he didn't know. He and Asuka had tried to find out more but he wasn't listed as any missing person. There was no-one matching his description through various criminal database either. Even running a check on his one and only name revealed nothing; from credit ratings, loans, or employment records. It seemed as though he had never existed.
 
He hadn't been completely concerned. In fact, in some ways he had felt great relief at this complete anonymity that he seemed to have acquired. As he had said to Asuka at the time, he could start his life anew with a completely clean slate. How could that be a bad thing?
 
He even had very little to go on how he had arrived at the hospital in which he had awoken. He had been told that he had been carried there by a man; his clothing in tatters, bloodied and battered. There had been no ID on him, nothing to say who he was. His saviour had only given his name. The only things to link him to his past were two items that had survived his horrific encounter, what ever that had been. Two items, plus his body. His body had eventually survived - however his memories had been lost.
 
Could this man know him from before then?, he wondered. No, he must have been mistaken. The man hadn't said his name at all. It had been no more than a mistake. Even if he had said his name, it didn't mean that he actually knew him. The man could have been speaking about someone else entirely.
 
They had finally arrived at the emergency entrance, and the stretcher was dragged out quickly and pushed rapidly through the swinging doors at a run. Youji followed after a little more slowly, watching the trolley disappear behind the first curtained cubicle.
 
“Youji!” He turned at the cry to see Asuka hurrying towards him, concern on her face. He opened his arms and embraced her tightly. “What happened? I got your message.” He had taken the time to call her briefly to say he was on the way to the hospital and what had occurred.
 
“He's in there now,” He nodded his head towards the drawn curtains.
 
She followed his look. “I'll try and find out what I can. Do you know who he is?”
 
He shook his head. “I didn't look for any ID. I just called the ambulance straight away.”
 
She smiled fondly at him. “You probably saved his life with your quick actions.” she said warmly.
 
He shrugged, “I don't know about that. We don't know yet if he will even live. It did look pretty serious.”
 
“Wait here and I'll see what I can find out.” She disappeared behind the curtain and after about five minutes reappeared, hurrying over to him with a frown on her pretty face. “It is quite serious, but the doctors are fairly confident he'll make it. He's got no ID so they don't know who to call. He's got money in his wallet so he's not homeless and his clothes are quite well made also.” She continued to frown. “I hope there's no-one waiting for him at home somewhere. I wish people would make certain to carry some form of identification. It's so rare these days for people not to, but it does still happen at times. It's just so worrying when you have no way of finding out most times and being able to contact someone for them.”
 
Youji glanced back to the curtains and couldn't help but wonder. Was that man like him? A man without a past? It seemed so similar to how he himself had arrived at hospital, almost uncanny in its similarity.
 
He turned to Asuka. “I was going to cook tonight but this has kind of thrown those plans out. Why don't we just go out for dinner after your shift?”
 
She smiled, “That would be lovely!” She glanced at her watch and frowned. “But I've still got an hour and a half to go.”
 
“That's okay,” he assured her. “I'll just wait here for you. There's no point going home now, only to come back later. I'll get a paper and read for a bit.”
 
“Okay, if you're sure.”
 
“I'm sure,” he confirmed.
 
She smiled and gave him another quick hug and peck on the cheek. “If I can get off early I'll try to.” she said, racing away with a wave.
 
“Not a problem,” he called out after her disappearing figure.
 
He went and bought a paper and a couple of magazines as well as a coffee, before returning to the waiting room and settling down. It really wouldn't have been much point to go home. It's not because he wanted to see if the man behind those curtains would be all right.