Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Angels of the Assassins ❯ Chapter Eleven: Realization ( Chapter 11 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

"Are you sure she’s really missing? She could just be anywhere." Yuki reasoned out.

"Her things are gone. I’ve checked every cabinet and found no trace of her or her things." The blonde’s voice started to tremble.

"Where could she be then? Omi, Do you have any ideas?" Ken turned to the boy

"Well, she could be staying with a classmate. But I’m not familiar with most of them."

"We need to find her." Yoji said impatiently.

"We’re going t o look for her Yoji, so calm down." Jelmerie said

"Yoji, you better stay behind. You can’t drive in that state, besides, you’ve had too much alcohol." She added.

"But I need to go!" he shouted. Yuki looked at Omi and Jelmerie.

"Okay, but we’re not letting you drive…" she walked to Ran’s door and pulled out a key, moments later, she went out followed by Ran.

"So, can we go now?" Ken and Ran nodded.

"Omi, you coming?" the boy shook his head

"I’ll be staying here and I’ll try to contact as many of her classmates as I could."

"Looks like you’ll be hacking some school files. Don’t worry I’ll help you." Jelmerie grinned.

"Can you two watch over Aya-chan? She’s still asleep." Yuki added.

"You’re staying here." Came Ran and Ken’s voice.

"The hell!!! Ryo’s out there and you two want me to stay here?!"

"Are we going to look for Ryoko, or are you going to stand there and quarrel all night?"

And so in the middle of the night and rain, they all set out to find their missing member. And as the rain continued to pour, Ryoko stared at the tombstone in front of her, tears mingling with the rain. She packed up her things, went to their former house and chucked them inside her room. Then she went straight to the place where she could find solace.

**************************************************************** ********

Sora stood up promptly at the secretary’s bidding and walked to the door, contemplating on whether to enter or not.

"Sora, you may come in now." An elderly man’s voice said.

Sora’s lips curled into a smile as she reached out for the knob. She turned it and pushed the heavy door open, revealing an office inside. An old man sat in a chair near the fireplace, reading a bunch of papers. The old man smiled and motioned her to take a seat not far from him. She looked around and noted that there’s a picture of her, Manx, Birman, Camellia, Morgaine, and four other guys on the wall above the fireplace. The same one she’s been carrying in her wallet.

"I’ve been reading your report and am now considering your request. But tell me all the facts first."

She looked at the warm face of the old man in front of her and started her narration. From the time she knew that Morgaine’s still alive unti ltheir last encounter. Shen she finished, she found the old man looking intently at the framed picture of her and her group taken years before.

"The decision is completely in my hands Sora, but let me just ask you, can you handle what you’re asking for?"

"Yes."

"This matter concerns a lot of people and I won’t have you risking your life for nothing. So, I brought in some audience to help me decide."

At these words, the door opened and two men entered the room, the same men who were beside Camellia and behind Manx in Birman in the picture. They smiled at Sora who returned their smile.

"Michael, Darwin!" the two men grinned.

"They told us to come here so we flew immediately good thing I just finished a mission. Where’s Niniane and Vivianne? I heard they are both handling the group who got rid of Takatori and Esset." Darwin smiled.

"They’re in Tokyo and they can’t come here. You know how hard our job is."

"How ‘bout Camellia, I haven’t seen her, how’s she?" Michael asked

"She’s dead Mike. Erinyes killed her." The two men looked at each other and were silent.

"Is that so? Then what’s the purpose of this meeting?" the old man pushed a folder to them.

"Here, read this."

Silence ruled while the two read the papers, copies of Sora’s report and when they finished, they laid the paper down and looked at Sora and then to the old man.

"So, you want our opinion about her request?" the old man nodded.

"You’ve worked with each other. I’ve talked to Manx and Birman about this matter and they both gave their opinion. Now, I’m after yours."

"And will that count?" Darwin asked.

"It will. I will base my decision on your opinions."

************************************************************* ***********

Inside Ran’s apartment, Aya-chan, Omi and Jelmerie sat apart from each other, all absorbed with what they’re doing. Aya-chan was feigning sleep and coaxed Omi into letting her in with what happened and was determined to help. Omi hacked the school files and gave the student information to Aya-chan who called up Ryoko’s classmate one by one while Jelmerie kept track of Yoji and the others.

"Aya-kun said they were able to find Ryo’s things but not Ryo." Jelmerie reported.

"Where’d they find her things?" Aya-chan asked after another negative phone call.

"Our old house. It seems she planned to stay there ‘coz they found her things inside her room."

"Well, if that’s the case, it’s no use calling up her classmates. Besides, only a few of them are answering my calls" Aya yawned.

"Right. Omi, you could stop now."

"What’ll we do next?"

"I’ll try calling my brother. Maybe he’ll take us out to search for her."

Jelmerie dashed for her phone and dialed up her brother’s number. After a while, Vaughn answered and Jelmerie told him everything. The talk lasted for a while and when she hung up, she was beaming.

"Omi, you gave them tracking devices right? Which one’s nearest to the Aoyama Cemetery?"

************************************************************* ***********

Ken surveyed the cemetery as he drove. He looked around hoping to see any sign of Ryoko but to no avail. He went deeper into the cemetery ignoring the freezing temperature due to the rain until he found something. He drove faster despite the slippery road until he noticed something. He parked his bike and walked cautiously to the seated figure under a tree for a better look.

"Hey Jel, you still there?" he whispered.

"Yeah, why?"

"Secure my location and tell the others that I’ve found Ryo."

****************************************************************** ******

"What do you think?" the old man asked again.

"Sora, you can’t possibly handle this without breaking down can you?" there was a faint smile in Michael’s face.

"This involves personal things Sora. You can’t separate it when you two face each other." Darwin added.

"Well, what would it be?" the old man asked again.

"Sora, if we’re going to grant you request, then we must make it clear that it will be your duty to rid us of Morgaine," Darwin spoke, making Sora shudder.

"Now, we’re going to ask you, can you kill Morgaine?"

************************************************************* ***********

Ken waited a block from where Ryoko is until he saw headlights approaching. Yoji climbed out of the car hastily and asked where the girl is, concern, all showed in his face. He pointed the direction and assured him that she’s okay, only drenched from the rain.

"She could be sleeping since she made no reaction when I approached her. She’s under a tree, and Yoji, you might as well take a look at the tombstones in front of her."

"Well, at last, we found her." Yuki said, getting out of the car.

"Yeah. But it took us all night. It’s just like a mission."

They waited until Yoji reappeared, carrying the sleeping Ryoko in his arms and they all went back.

"How’s she?" Yuki asked.

"Your right, she’s sleeping." He muttered as he stopped in front of the others.

"She’s shaking. We must get her back soon." The brunette observed.

"Right." The blonde said, getting inside the car.

"Hey Ken, I brought these, you look like a kitten who went swimming." she grinned, tossing some dry clothes to him.

"Thanks a lot."

****************************************************************** ******

"Is she okay?" Jelmerie asked anxiously when Yoji and the others returned.

"Asleep, drenched and shivering." Came the blonde’s answer.

Ryoko stirred in her sleep and with the help of the voices buzzing inside the room, opened her eyes in confusion and looked around.

"Where am I?" she asked, sitting up.

"Yoji’s apartment. We’ve brought you back from the cemetery and your things from our old house. You got us pretty worried and kept us awake all night." Yuki smiled.

"Are you feeling okay Ryo? You look pale." Aya-chan commented, feeling her forehead.

"Fever." She concluded, looking at her brother.

"You better change into something warm and rest." Yoji said quietly.

"I know what I have to do." She retorted, sending a glare to the blonde.

"Aya-chan, can I stay with you for a while?" Aya looked at her brother who said nothing.

"Uh, yeah sure."

***************************************************************** *******

Ryoko woke up late the next day. She found the apartment deserted and a note pinned on the headboard of the bed.

"I’ve gone to school. Onii-chan said he’ll drop by to bring you lunch."

She sighed. She still feels dizzy and the prospect of spending the whole afternoon alone is not good. After a few attempts of getting back to sleep, she heard a knock on the door and she glanced at the clock. Seeing that it’s already past noon, she felt her stomach grumble. Thinking that it might be Ran, she hastened to the door. But to her surprise. She found Yoji on the other side.

"How’re you feeling?" he began.

"What’re you doing here?" she retorted coldly.

"I have your food. Aya went out for Yuki and Omi volunteered to watch the shop since Ken disappeared so I brought this here." He smiled, making his way into the apartment.

"You can just put them there." Ryoko said still in monotone.

Yoji placed the take-out food on the table and turned around to face the girl again, and her glaring eyes.

"About the other night---" he began.

"You can go now." Came the girl’s reply.

"B-but Ryo,"

"I’m tired and hungry, so if you may please leave me alone…" she glared.

**************************************************************** ********

"So, have you made up your mind yet?" Darwin asked Sora as they emptied their cups.

"Not yet. What you’ve given me is tough. By the way, where’s Michael? He should be here half an hour ago." She smiled.

"There he is. Oi Mike, you’re ten years late!!!" Darwin shouted with a hand waving to the man.

"Shaddup Win or else I’ll club you down!!!" he shouted back

"Justcome here and try!!!" Darwin smirked.

"You guys never change." Sora chuckled

Michael sat down and ordered a drink, which he drained in just one gulp. After that, he smiled at the other two.

"Hey, ready to give us your decision? You have a day before the judgement."

"Actually, I still don’t have one."

"Well then, I may have something that can help you." He grinned, pushing an envelope to her.

"What’s that?" Darwin asked as Sora opened it.

"Camy gave it to me before they left. She told me to give it Sora when we start pestering her with decision-making again."

"I love that girl. She always know the right time to act, making it look like chance even though she already know what’s going to happen." Darwin smiled reminiscently.

Sora read the three paged letter for two times and faced the two men in front of her with a smile though she’s mustering all her strength to stop the tears from forming in her eyes.

"Hey, what do you say about roaming around the city and telling me things about you guys?"

***************************************************************** *******

Ryoko swallowed the remaining food and cleared the table. She’s feeling guilty of sending Yoji away when she feels the sincerity in him. After throwing the plastic containers and cups away, she went inside the room and retrieved one of her bags. After fumbling inside, her hands closed on something and she pulled back her hand. It’s the picture of her brother, wearing his disheveled school uniform.

~ Flashback ~

Ryoko looked around the noisy crowd and the panic inside her worsened. She’d been walking around the mall but still there’s no sign of her parents or her brother. They were shopping for new school supplies when she saw a display cabinet full of toys displayed inside a shop. She wrestled free from her mother’s hand and ignored their calls and instead dashed to the shop to look at the toys. When she found one that she liked, she looked around for her father but only saw unfamiliar faces. She started wandering around the mall, looking frantically for her family, totally scared.

"Ryoko!!!" she heard someone call.

"It’s her. Ryo!!!" it was her father’s voice.

"Where have you been? You made us all worry." Her mother said, hugging her tight.

"Yeah. Are you okay sis?" *******

"Why didn’t you bring me along?" Ryoko whined.

"Sorry Ryo but our camping is exclusive for high school students only. Okay, I’ll take you to the carnival next weekend. Is that okay?" *******

"Don’t worry. I’ll call you everyday if you want." Kira smiled.

"Can’t you just stay here?"

"Ryo. I’m going because I want to be a soldier. Can you bear to see your brother’s dream go down the drain?" Ryoko shook her head.

"Then, you’ll permit me to go. It’s hard for all of us. But that’s what I want. Don’t worry, I’ll be okay."

"Onii-chan!!!" she cried.

"Just call me if someone hurt you and I’ll kill him. Remember Ryo, I’ll always be here for you." He smiled.

~ End of Flashback ~

"Here."

Ryoko was stunend to see Ran in front of her, holding out a pack of tissue and it’s only then she realized she’s been crying.

"Dinner’s on the table." The redhead said.

She nodded and stuffed the picture back to her bag. She found Aya-chan setting up the table and she gave her a smile. After the dinner, Ran stood up and cleaned the table, she tried to help but she saw that he’s already walking to the dishwasher.

"If someone’s reaching out a hand to you, don’t be afraid to take it. Or else you’ll find yourself alone. Stop making yourself believe something that’s not right."

"Uhm, do you know what he’s talking about?" Aya-chan whispered to Ryoko.

***************************************************************** *******

"Yup. It’s her family’s grave" Yuki answered looking at the .

"Her brother was found dead inside a military school. Everyone said it was suicide but her family doubts it. A year later, she and her family got involved in a car accident. She was the only one who survived." She continued.

"So, that’s the reason why she went there."

"Yeah. She can only feel serenity with them. Besides, she loves her brother so much." She added, looking at the people around the park.

"Is that so?" there was silence between them.

"Maybe… maybe she’s afraid of Yoji." Yuki blinked several times.

"Uh, I didn’t get that Ken."

"Well, you said she loves her brother, and we all know that Yoji’s starting to act as her surrogate brother. Maybe that’s what she’s afraid of, having to have someone that can be a brother to her." Yuki stared at him.

"Maybe you’re right. She loves Kira so much that’s why she can’t reach out to anyone else. She’s afraid she might forget him, and she thinks Yoji’s making her forget him." Ken stared at her as she thought about the matter, her eyes, showing the signs of sleep.

"You’re sleepy." He said.

"Not quite. I was just trying to remember something… I have soemthing in mind before you showed up at school, and now I’ve completely forgotten it."

"Come on, let’s drive home I was supposed to bring you straight you straight from your school to your room."

"But who’s idea was it that we stay here and watch those kids play soccer?" she smirked.

"Alright, alright, my fault. Hey, isn’t that Yoji?" Yuki tried to follow his train of sight.

"Yeah. And Manx’s with him. Wait… Yoji and Manx, together?!?!? What happened to the world?!?!?!"

*********************************************************** *************

Manx looked at the blonde walking beside her. They accidentally bumped into each other in the middle of the crowded street and the look in the blonde’s eyes and the lack of his usual humor told her something’s wrong. And based on the reports that came to her, she instantly understood what’s bugging him. Though it took some time and effort before she managed to get him to speak up, she won in the end.

"Just let her cool down. Maybe then she’ll be able to hear you out."

"Like hell she will." He grumbled.

"She will. The only reason why she’s edging away from you is because she knows you’re treating her as your sister and that’s what she doesn’t like. She has an older brother who died at your age and she’s very close to him. I think that she’s still living in the past until now. She’s still looking at the shadow of her brother and clinging on it as her only memory of him. And now you come into the picture and try to be her bother. I’m sure a part of her is thankful while a part isn’t, but if you’ll just make it clear to her that you’re not trying to erase him from her life, she’ll accept you." Yoji was stunned at the woman’s words.

"Well, it’s worth a try. But maybe you better change her charge, we won’t work together. Ever" Manx sighed.

"Know what? Years before we trained them, there was another set of girls who’re doing just the same job. They were assigned to guard four other Kritiker assassins in Transylvania. One of them didn’t like the assignment a bit, she complained to her companions who in turn consoled and teased her. Things got worse when they met their charges, she was assigned to guard the group’s official mascot, and she, being the no-nonsense type of girl hated the whole arrangement." She stopped, her eyes twinkling.

"Wow, that just sounds like now, though you have to change the guy to, "the group’s cutest member." Yeah, I think that fits it." Manx rolled her eyes.

"The girl loathed every mission and her charge, but as time passed, she learned to appreciate everything, and she stopped ignoring her charge." Manx stopped talking and just looked at the now starry sky. Yoji waited for more words until he realized that the story already reached its end.

"So, that’s it?"

"What? You think they got married or something?! Of course not! They are just good friends. From what I’ve heard, the guy is currently handling an operation somewhere in the west while the girl’s destined to the east. I’m sure it’s the same for you too. Ryoko can despise you for all she likes but in the end, she will find out that you’re important. Maybe she’ll be surprised to learn that you’re just as important as her family." Yoji stared at her for a long time, her words making their way into him. At last, when he had finished digesting her words, he understood what she meant and smiled.

"Wait a minute, What exactly is the name of this girl?"

"The name is classified Balinese, but I can give you her codename if you like…"

"Sure." Manx laughed.

"It’s Niniane." She smiled knowingly.

************************************************************* ***********

Yoji was all smiles the next day, something that surprised the others. Ryoko’s still in a bad mood and did not show up at the shop after school but it didn’t made a slight change of course with Yoji’s mood.

"Hey, why the happy face?" Jelmerie asked when she could no longer bear the mystery of the blonde’s actions.

"Nothing." Was his only answer

"Your war with Ryo’s over?" Omi piped up.

"No."

"Then what is it?" Yuki whined.

"Nothing. Is it a crime to be happy?"

"No. But being happy for no reason at all can land you a room in an insane asylum." Yuki snickered.

"Nice try snow girl, but it won’t work. And if you guys don’t mind, I have to catch something…" he said, taking off his apron.

***************************************************************** *******

Ryoko heard a knock on the door and thinking that one of the Fujimiyas forgot to bring their key, and is one waiting on the other side, she hastened to open it, only to get her blood pressure rising at the sight of the person waiting.

"What’re you doing here?" she hissed at seeing Yoji.

"I’m here to explain." She had no other choice but to let him in.

"Hey, I’m sorry for shouting like that. I shouldn’t have done that in the first place…" He looked at Ryoko whose face is neutral.

"I know I don’t have any damn business with your own life and you’re right, I’m not your family…"

"I just got worried about your whereabouts and at the same time angry at you for not coming to our mission." He shrugged.

"I don’t know if you will accept it but I’m really sorry. For acting like I did and for everything else. I understand that I’m not your brother and I will never be, but remember that even if you still can’t forgive me, I’ll be here." With this he stood up from his chair and walked straight to the door.

"If someone’s reaching out a hand to you, don’t be afraid to take it. Or else you’ll find yourself alone. Stop making yourself believe something that’s not right." A voice in her mind recited.

Ryoko sat glued on her chair, Yoji’s statement followed by Ran’s words repeated themselves over, and over in her head, and before she knew it, she’s starting to cry again.

***************************************************************** *******

"Then I wish him all the luck in the world." Jelmerie said at Omi’s opinion that Yoji went to talk with Ryoko.

"Yeah, that girl’s so damn stubborn." Yuki grinned.

"Yuki." Ran called from outside the shop.

"Where were you yesterday?" he glared when she gave him a smile.

"Home." She answered innocently making the other glare more

"I went to your school and waited for you. Only, I didn’t saw you come out."

"Sorry, I forgot!" she exclaimed remembering that she’s waiting for Ran to fetch her when Ken arrived.

"I tried calling you but you’re phone’s off. I went to your apartment but no one answered the door."

"I…"

Uncertain about what to say, she’s relieved when Jelmerie and Ken came out of the shop and asked if she wanted to deliver some flowers with them. She saved herself from being interrogated by helping the two deliver some flowers.

"Hey, who wants food? My treat!" Yuki said cheerfully after making their delivery.

"Are you sick or something?" Jelmerie asked, reaching for her forehead.

"Nah. So, you guys want it or not?"

In the middle of their pasta, two pre-school girls entered the same restaurant with someone they presumed as their mother. The twins have the same clothes though different in color, the same length and style of her, and the same accessories. The three of them walked past their table and into the farthest corner of the restaurant. They only went back to their food when the waiter blocked the view of the twins. Only then did the idea entered into Yuki’s mind.

"Hey Jel, look what I found inside one of Camy’s books." She smiled as she fished her wallet from her pocket.

She gave the picture Ken found inside the book to Jelmerie and she looekda t it with great interest. She laughed at knowing what Birman, Camellia, Sora and Manx looked like when they were their age but something made her stop.

"I don’t know the one beside Sora-san but they sure look the same." She remarked.

"Wait, I think I saw her before…" all eyes were on her as she thought about it.

"That’s it! She’s with the Erinyes, their new member. What’s her name again?" Ken and Yuki looked at each other.

"Morgaine." Yuki answered.

"So, does that mean that Cammy, Birman, Sora and Manx all know her?"

****************************************************************** ******

A/N: Took me ages to finish this no thanks to that incident when I accidentally DELETED the folder containing this fic and all other files in my diskette in order to save a damn assignment, and the worthless hours I spent in school just to watch as tupid game and stare at nothing. Anyway, thanks a lot to all of you and I’ll try to do the next chappy as fast as I can. Ja everyone!!! ^_^