Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Angels of the Assassins ❯ Chapter Nineteen: Conencting Threads ( Chapter 19 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

 
 
-o0o-
 
Connecting Threads Part I:
Chapter Nineteen: Heart's Strings
 
-o0o-
Jelmerie clutched her bag tighter as a car stopped in front of her. A smile curled on her lips as she expected her brother to open the door for her.
 
“Miss Jelmerie…”
 
The girl looked up to see their driver in front of her, holding open the door to the back seat. Jelmerie's smile disappeared and was replaced by a confused look. The backseat was empty, there's no sign of Vaughn. She looked quizzically at their driver who immediately got the message.
 
“Mister Vaughn went home upon your father's request.”
 
It was a good enough explanation for an eight-year old little girl and Jelmerie was easily convinced. She went inside and waited for the car to get going. As the car passed Vaughn's school, the girl took in the sight and silently reasoned to herself about her brother's recent actions.
 
“He's in junior high now. Maybe their teacher's making them do loads of stuff.” She said in her mind.
“Miss Jelmerie…” Their driver interrupted as they momentarily stopped for a red light.
“Mister Vaughn told me to give you this…” Out of a compartment, the driver took out a pack of candies and handed them to he girl.
“Really? Gee, thanks.” She smiled gratefully.
 
-o0o-
 
“HOW MANY HELLISH TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU TO STOP SMOKING YOU STUPID, BLONDE KITTEN!?!?!?!?!” was Ryoko's opening remarks as the angels and Joshua entered the shop.
“The freaking smoke from your cigar is unhealthy for the plants and people in this place! So if you have the tiniest amount of decency in your system, you'll stop that worthless vice of yours for the sake of everyone's lungs!!!” Ryoko continued shouting.
 
Yoji raised both hands in surrender after disposing of his cigar with Ryo still ranting in the background. Slowly and ever so casually, the blonde made his way to the door and slipped out.
 
“That guy… I'm wondering how much of his lungs are left in his chest cavity…” Ryoko muttered to herself. Then her eyes caught sight of Yoji quietly sneaking out.
“Oi, you! Wait! Where in hell do you think you're going? Come back here Kudou!!! Ryoko hollered as she marched in pursuit of the escaping kitten
“They're so cute.” Aya-chan giggled as soon as the door closed behind Ryoko.
“Sheesh. It would've been easier if Ryoko just said in Yoji's face that she's worried about his health rather than shouting other things.” Yuki muttered.
“That one nearly shattered my eardrums.” Joshua chimed in.
“Oh, you know Ryo. She'd rather volunteer for a whole month of household cleaning than admit that she's beginning to grow fond of Yoji.” Sora laughed.
“They make the perfect siblings!” Yuki snickered.
 
Jelmerie had to agree. Seeing Ryoko and Yoji getting along in what their case is “well” makes her forget.
 
“Jel, you okay there?” Omi asked with a smile.
“Nevr better Mitchii.” She smiled.
 
-o0o-
 
Footsteps were heard echoing along the hallway. The sounds were faintly heard inside Jelmerie's room and the little girl quickly pulled the blanket up to her chin and closed her eyes knowing what will come next. Soon enough, light flowed into her room as the door opened. Jelmere forced herself to relax, knowing how much she needs to make her act look real.
 
“Good night my dear, sweet dreams.,” a male voice said.
 
The girl continued feigning sleep until she heard her door close and waited until the footsteps died down before she sat upright. Casting aside her blanket, she jumped off her bed and headed towards the door.
 
-o0o-
 
“Is there something wrong around here?” Joshua asked as he joined Sora, Yuki and Jelmerie in the living room that afternoon after their shift.
“Wrong? No. We're perfect.” Yuki answered.
“Well, it's just that the house seems to be miraculously quiet.” Joshua retorted, looking around dramatically.
“If you're talking about Ryo, she went to Yoji's apartment to ask help for a project.” Sora grinned.
“Uhm, Sora-san, I'll be dropping by my pad for a while for some things. Is it okay?” Yuki asked. Her superior nodded with a smile
“Wanna come Jel? We can check Ryo and Yotan.”
“Of course! But I'll just catch up with you `kay.” Came the auburn-haired girl's answer
“Sure! How bout you Josh?”
“I think I'll pass. I'd like to enjoy the calm and quiet of this house while it lasts.” He replied, stretching on the sofa.
 
-o0o-
 
 
After passing by Yuki's apartment, the two then proceeded to Yoji's unit where a slightly haggard Yoji greeted them.
 
“Hope we're not disturbing you guys.” Yuki smiled.
“No, not at all. In fact, I'm glad you girls came. I could abrely keep my eyes open.” Yoji yawned.
“Where's Ryo?” Yuki asked, looking around the messy floor of the apartment.
“I let her sleep. Can't have her sweating out all night for this piece of crap can I?” Came the blonde's answer.
“Want some help?” Jelmerie piped up with a smile.
“Hell it's good!” Yuki exclaimed as the three sat back and admired their joint efforts.
“Yeah. I'm proud of us.” Jelmerie snickered.
“Now I can sleep…” was Yoji's only statement.
 
The two accompanied Yoji to his room where the sleeping Ryoko was. The blonde placed the model on top of the table and afterwards walked to the bed and straightened the girl's blanket. Just as they were about to go, Ryoko suddenly spoke.
 
“Come back here so I can cut off your head.” The girl muttered in her sleep.. Jelmerie and Yuki tried hard to suppress their laughter while Yoji rolled his eyes.
“Yojinii-san…” Ryoko muttered again.
“Well at least…” Yuki grinned, patting Yoji.
“Honestly Yo-tan, I think Ryo's found a new brother in you.” Jelmerie said, looking at Ryoko.
 
-o0o-
 
“Big brother?” Jelmerie called while her hand pounded on the door.
“Jel? What are you doing here, isn't it past your bedtime already?” Answered Vaughn who obviously had just woke up.
“I know. I pretended to be asleep when dad came. I wanted to see you. Our driver said father called you after class. Why?”
“Oh that, well…” the boy looked sideways, trying to think of a good answer.
“…he asked me about school stuff. You know, about how I feel being in junior high.” He grinned nervously. To his relief, his sister nodded.
“Are you to meet him again tomorrow?”
“Yeah. I can't put off my training now.” Vaughn answered absent-mindedly.
“Training?” Jelmerie blinked. Vaughn suddenly jerked awake by his sister's reaction.
“Er… Tutorial. Yeah, tutorial, that's what I mean. Dad said I need some tutorial lessons.” He answered nervously.
“So we won't be coming home together?” the girl pouted.
“I'm afraid so Jel. Honestly, I don't think I can do that from now on. There are a lot of things to do, but don't worry, I promise I'll make it up to you okay?”
“Promise?” Jelmerie squeaked.
“Promise.” Vaughn replied, beaming.
 
-o0o-
 
“Very good. Well done Miss Jelmerie.” The instructor smiled at her.
“She's a fast learner and I think she has the talent with a violin.” The instructor turned to her father.
“That's very good to hear. She's been playing ever since she's five and we know she's enjoying it.” Her father smiled.
“I suggest you enroll her in a music school sir, to hone her talents.”
“Yes. I'll do that, thank you.”
 
After the instructor left, Mr. Seymour requested Jelmerie to continue playing while he listened intently and savored the music. Some time later, his phone rang and he reluctantly answered it, hoping it's not a call from work.
 
“Dad?” it was Vaughn's voice coming from the other line.
“Oh son, how're you?”
“Fine. I've finished my training earlier than usual. I'll be going home shortly.” The boy reported.
“That's good. Come back here as soon as you can for you to rest.”
“Okay. Uh dad, is that Jel playing?” Mr. Seymour looked at his daughter before responding to Vaughn's answer.
“Yes. And she's great. She can play very well and it's possible that she'll be going to the same music school as you.”
“Dad? Are you planning to train her as well?”
“I'm afraid so son. She needs to know self-defense. It's for her own safety/” his voice was reduced to a whisper.
“What if she decides to join the group… like me?” Vaughn asked uncertainly.
“I hope not. I regret giving you permission and I won't make the same mistake concerning your sister. I don't want my children to get themselves a very complicated life.”
 
-o0o-
 
 
Jelmerie gently closed the door of Yoji's apartment but she didn't let go of the knob.
 
~ Flashback ~
 
“Thank you for helping me.” Yoji smiled as they finished cleaning up the blonde's messy floor.
“Thanks for helping Ryo.” Yuki grinned.
“Jeez. This is the sanest relationship I ever got into.” The blonde breathed as he escorted the girl to the door.
“Yup. It's give and take. No one's getting trampled on by the other, and of course, it's bound to last for life. There may be fights but never a break up.” Yuki added.
“Well we need it.” Jelmerie smiled.
“And it's nice to know that I have something that I can call `family'.” Yoji said wistfully.
“Family? So, whose our mom?!” Yuki smirked.
 
~ End of Flashback ~
 
“…the sanest relationship…”
“…It's give and take…”
“…it's bound to last for life…”
“…something that I can call family.”
“…”
 
...sane
...relationship
...give and take
...last for life
...family
...no one's getting trampled
...family
...fights but never a break-up
...thank you
...family
 
“Jel?”
 
The girl was startled but the subtle call and found Yuki standing a few feet from her, with a concerned look on her face. Jelemrie regained her composure and smiled a her friend.
 
“Sorry. Had a mental lapse for a while there.” She grinned sheepishly.
“Oh okay.” Yuki muttered, still looking concerned.
“Ne, it's been a while since I last rode my bike around Tokyo, want to go with me for a short sight-seeing?” Jelmerie smiled hopefully while Yuki's jaw dropped.
“Uh Jel, I brought my motorcycle with me. Uhm… motorcycle Jel, motorcycle…” she reminded trying to make Jel see sense.
“Awww come on Yuki...” the younger pouted.
“Oh hell, what problems do to an insane mind...” Yuki thought.
“But there's no way we can arrange things... I mean, I can't slow down for your bike and you can't keep up with mine. Surel---” but Yuki was cut off by Jelmerie who was grinning broadly.
“How bout this, we go on our own way first then just meet up somewhere to chill out?” Yuki sighed in defeat.
“Okay fine...” she finally agreed.
 
-o0o-
 
“HAPPY BIRHTDAY!!!”
 
The greeting in chorus and the sound of the part poppers were enough to send Jelmerie two feet into the air. After recovering from the shock, she looked at the sea of grinning faces, identifying who's who.
 
“Hey Jel, what're you waiting for? This is your party so start it already!” Vaughn grinned, dragging her into the crowd.
 
The party reached its height but then after everything was laid out for everyone, it ended. Yet despite the party's termination, Jelmerie continued to celebrate in her room by flooding the floor with colorful presents that hid her gifts.
 
“May I come in?” her father called from the hall.
 
Jelmerie ran to the door and opened it then immediately embraced her father for giving her such a wonderful party.
 
“How's my young lady?” he smiled as he joined her on the floor.
“I'm not a lady yet. I'm just ten.” Jelemrie replied.
“But soon enough you'll be.”
“Dad, thanks for everything. Now I know why I wasn't let out of my training when I've already done what they taught me.”
“You thought something was up?” her father asked amused.
“Uh huh.” Was the girl's plain answer.
“How smart of my little Jelmerie.” Jelmerie beamed at him.
“Hey dad, look what brother gave me!” Jelmerie said excitedly, showing him the gift.
“A light saber. You always wanted one right?” he chuckled.
“yes! Oh I love it!!!” Jelmerie exclaimed.
“Say, I have my camera here and if you want we can take a picture of you and your light saber and maybe a family picture too!:
 
Jelemrie eagerly agreed and father and daughter proceeded to barge into Vaughn's room and dragged the half-asleep-still-in-pajamas-and-yawning boy to Jelmerie's room for the photo opportunity. After Vaughn returned to his room and after all the presents were opened, Jelmerie was called by her father.
 
“Have you noticed something with the gifts?” he asked with a knowing smile.
“Yeah. There was none from you.” She pouted.
“Of course! You thought so because it wasn't in the pile but look…” He held in front of him a closed palm which he slowly opened and revealed a small blue box.
“Open it Jel.” He smiled and the girl obeyed.
“Oh daddy, thank you very much!” She cried, embracing him tight.
“No need for that my dear, it's your gift.”
“Thank you dad, I love you!” the girl said as she cried with joy.
“Happy birthday Jelmerie.” Her father whispered with a smile.
 
-o0o-
 
After losing her way around Ueno Park, Jelmerie at last arrived at the spot where Yuki was waiting. The girl was sitting on a bench, not far from her was her parked motorcycle. Jelmerie pushed her bike and let it stnd beside Yuki's vehicle before she too sat beside her.
 
“Hell that was fun…” Jelmerie said sarcastically when she sat.
“What?” the other asked.
“I got lost on my way here.” The auburn-haired girl replied with a sheepish grin.
“Oh, sorry, I forgot you're not that familiar around here.”
“It's okay. Why'd you choose this place anyway?”
“Nothing . I just, I just want to see this place.”
“Why?” came the enxt question.
“Nothing special. Just wanted to drop by.” Yuki shrugged.
 
The two sat in complete silence for some time, each one immersed in her own thought. Only when the thought of her brother overwhelmed her did Jelmerie decided to speak up.
 
“I'm worried about Vaughn.”
“It's okay Jel. We can't do anything about it now. We can't abandon our mission no matter how much we'd like too.” Yuki explained in a mild voice.
“He knows what he's doing. He won't get in trouble.”
“Yes, but being there is real. I'm scared.” The girl confessed.
“Sometimes I think of what will happen and it scares me even more.”
 
Yuki thought about it deeply. Like any other agent, she's sure Vaughn was trained to defy attacks and torture but she also know that as much as possible no agent should be caught and if capture is inevitable, then suicide is greatly considered an option. Even without a breeze, Yuki felt the cold seeping into her and she shivered. If she, a person completely not related to Vaughn is terrified fro what might happen, how much more would be his own sister? The girl looked sideways at Jelmerie and sighed.
 
“Just trust him. He'll get through with it soon enough. And don't worry, we can make inquiries about him and the mission if we want. We can ask Willow to check on him for us.”
 
-o0o-
 
“Dad, can I watch brother while he's training?” Jelmerie asked her father one afternoon after her training.
“Sorry but we can't visit him Jel.” Came the answer.
 
Jelemrie lowered her head and continued walking. She had been asking the same question for a couple of times before but the answer remained the same, `We can't visit him.' She's wondering why she's not allowed to go when Vaughn sometimes drop by to visit her.
 
“Dad? What's the difference between brother's training and mine?” she asked, still determined to learn more.
“Dad?”
 
After getting silence as a reply, Jelmerie resigned herself to the truth that there are things hidden to her by her father and brother. Fighting back the tears, she dug her fingers deep into her skin and just looked at the dull, cemented road. Meanwhile, Mr. Seymour as thinking about other things. Just recently, Jelmerie started asking him questions. It seems that he can no longer hide this secret, the family's secret. He heaved a deep breath and laid a hand on his daughter's head.
 
“Dad?” Jelemrie repeated, looking up at him.
“You wanted to know the difference between your brother's training right?” Jelmerie's face lit up at her father's words.
“He's in an intermediate training program which means that what he does are more complicated that what you're studying, and not to mention more dangerous.” The girl nodded.
“But can't we just take a peek at him? Please…”
“oh okay dear but not now. We'll make a surprise visit to him next time. Promise.” He smiled upon seeing his daughter brighten up.
“You go ahead dear. I have some business to look after. I'll just see you at home.” Jelmerie nodded as she boarded the car.
 
Mr. Seymour watched as the car drove away. Sooner or later, his daughter will ask more question as Vaughn start to take on serious operations. He heaved a deep breath. He's lying to his beloved daughter is one thing he wished to avoid but given the circumstances, it looks like all he could tell her are fabricated realities.
 
-o0o-
 
“See? They agreed!” Ryoko whispered to Omi who sighed.
 
The two went to meet with Jelmerie and Aya-chan to ask them for an afternoon at the mall to which the two greed.
 
“Uhm… Aren't we expected at the shop?” Aya-chan asked.
“Don't worry bout that. I'm sure the others can handle it.” Ryoko winked.
 
The four squeezed through the throng and started window shopping. Yet the mall really was full with people that they were soon separated.
 
“Where are Omi and Aya?” Jelmerie asked Ryoko.
“We've been separated. Damn those people. Oh we'll I'll just send them a message.”
“Come on, let's look around.” The girl continued, starting to walk away.
“Eh? Aren't we going to wait for Omi and Aya?”
“Our prince and princess need to have a time for themselves…”
 
-o0o-
 
Even in sleep, Jelmerie felt the tension in the house and she woke up, mildly disturbed. There were voices outside, she could hear their murmurs from her door. Afraid of what might be happening, she silently turned the knob of her door and opened it a crack.
 
“Be careful Vaughn.” Her father said.
 
Through the small opening, Jelmerie saw her father and brother, facing each other and talking. Her father had his back turned so she was not able to see his face yet from the tone of his voice…
 
“Dad…” Jelmerie thought.
“I won't be long…” Vaughn answered with a lopsided grin.
 
The girl's brow furrowed in confusion. Long? What does Vaughn mean by that? Pushing the door a few inches more she saw a glimpse of bags outside beside her brother. So he's going on a trip… But where? Surely he would have told her of any excursion. But as she thought over it, she realized that he's not at all talking to her like before.
 
“He's hiding something, they both are…” her mind concluded.
“Jel?”
 
The soft voice startled her. Vaughn , it seemed he had seen her and now both he and their father were standing outside her door. Abashed, the girl made a quick motion to close it but Vaughn was quick.
 
“Why are you still awake?” her brother smiled.
 
She lowered her gaze upon getting caught. Vaughn, who was still smiling embraced her.
 
“Where are you going?” the girl squeaked.
“To grandpa but I won't be long.” He replied
“Why didn't you tell me?” she said in a pained voice. It was her father who answered.
“It was sudden dear.” He explained.
 
Jelmerie nodded, taking in their explanation for the meantime. Then, her father had asked her to come and accompany Vaughn to the waiting car outside their estate. The girl agreed and followed, holding onto her brother's hand. At the gate, father and son tightly embraced each other then the turned to her before boarding the car. As the vehicle drove out of sight, Jelmerie glanced up to see her father. He was staring blankly at the night.
 
“Dad?” she asked. Her father shook his head and then turned to her.
“Come on dear, let's go inside…” he smiled
 
-o0o-
 
Ryoko and Jelmerie enjoyed themselves by going into one shop after the other and afterwards resting in a food joint, snacking on sundae cones.
 
“Ne, Ryo-chan are you free Wednesday next week?” Jelmerie asked.
“Why?”
“I have two tickets for a concert…” she trailed off with a smirk
“Who's playing?” Ryoko rolled her eyes after the other girl replied.
“You do know they're playing classical music right?”
“Come on Ryo…” the other pleaded in a girlish voice.
“No. Way. In. Hell…”
 
Jelmerie was about to plead some more when Ryoko's phone rang. After a brief conversation, Ryoko tapped her.
 

“We're wanted by Manx.”
 
-o0o-
 
Jelmerie made a dash down to the basement of the shop. She was surprised to see Sora, Birman, and Manx together with Yuki and Ran.
 
“Where are the others?” She asked.
“Sit down Jel.” Sora spoke. Jelmerie spoke, knowing better not to disobey orders like those sat beside Yuki.
“What's happening here?” She asked again.
“Joshua and Yoji set out to check a target's hideout while Ryoko and Omi are busy.” Birman said.
“Then why are we still here?” she asked again.
“Someone's hacking into our database.” Came Manx's voice.
“What!?!?!” she exclaimed.
“Yes. It seems like the databases in England and Japan are being infiltrated. That's what Ryoko and Omi are doing, setting up firewalls.” Sora reported.
“I still don't get us being here…”
“That's because you three have a special mission.” Sora continued.
“We've been given reports that our operations in England have failed. Well, 82% of them did.” Jelmerie gaped at Manx.
“We're suspecting that the hacker is somewhere from London and Persia had already received distress signals. That's why we're sending you three there. Find out who the culprit is, the organization he belongs to, his cause, and you know what to de after.” Birman said. Jelmerie sighed

“You will leave in two days.” Were Manx's closing statement before their meeting adjourned.
 
-o0o-
 
Jelmerie walked through a sea of black and white with small, frightened steps. The clenched fists at her sides closed tighter as people parted to let her pass. Like a dream, each step was slow and her surroundings gave out an eerie aura. Dream, yes for her it's all a dream… No, it's more of a nightmare. Jelmerie then saw the brightest part of the room, yet she knew that it was also the darkest and saddest. Indeed, it is a nightmare, her worst nightmare. She tells herself over and over again that she will soon wake up and everything will be fine. A hand stopped her from walking, but to her disappointment, it didn't wake her up. She glanced at its owner, seeing an elderly woman kneeling beside her.
 
“I'm sorry about your loss my dear. Your father was a great man, you should be proud of him.” The old lady said.
 
-o0o-
 
“What's all the noise a this hour?” Ryoko smiled pleasantly, entering the living room.
“It's called music Ryo.” Jelmerie grinned
“Whatever. Why're you still awake?”
“Having a hard time putting myself to sleep. And you? You should be tired after working in front of the computer.” Ryoko shook her head and perched on the couch.
 
Jelmerie continued playing while the other girl listened. Ryoko had slipped into a reminiscent state as the notes slowly penetrated her system. While toying with her pendant, her eyes slowly got glazed. Jelmerie watched her from the corner of her eye and lowered her violin. Walking towards her friend, she noticed how the other didn't budge. Snickering, she made her move.
 
“HEY!!!” She shouted in her ear, making the younger girl jump from her seat. Ryoko promptly glared at her as soon as she was back on the couch.
“What was that for?” she snapped. Jelmerie answered her with a shrug. Jelemrie was about to open a conversation when her eyes fell on the necklace.
“Hey I almost forgot, what happened to you in Okinawa?” she asked.
“Huh? What?” Ryoko rolled her eyes.
“Come on, what happened to you in Okinawa?” the other repeated.
“Well to tell you the truth…” she started in a serious tone.
“It was annoying, very annoying, and very, very annoying.” She let out a fake sigh.
“Come on, Yuki was raving about something what was it?!” she insisted.
“Oh, you know Yuki, she makes a big deal out of practically nothing.” Ryoko shrugged.
“So you won't tell me?” Ryoko gave her a smug look.
“Okay fin~ne then I think I would just have to ask Yoji or Aya-chan about the Prodigy thing…” she snickered. Ryoko jumped for a second time and turned to the other in alarm. Jelmerie was surprised at her reaction and she smirked.
“So… there really was a Prodigy thing… Wanna tell me what its all about?” Ryoko shook her head.
“You're hiding something aren't you?” she asked, giving the other a suspicious look.
“Of course not!” Ryoko retorted.
“Then why did Yuki say that you hate him more than Calvin?” Ryoko twitched.
“It's because he's an enemy!” she replied with conviction
“Yeeeeaaaahhhhh riiiii~ggggghhhhtttt…” Jelmerie snickered.
“Oh hell shattup…” Ryoko glared.
“Looks like our lil' baby's in love with the enemy…” the girl jeered, while Ryoko's glare intensified.
“Who knows, maybe you two will end up together!!!”
“Stop acting like Camellia!” Ryoko scolded.
“Did you say `Camellia'? Man, you hate him so much then! I wonder why…” Jelemrie looked at her, eyes glinting mischievously.
“Shut the hell up!” Ryoko barked.
“But it's not impossible! Know what, that's exactly what happened to my mom and dad…” Jelmerie said softly. Ryoko turned to her and gaped, not sure if she was telling the truth.
“Are you kidding me Jel?” Ryoko voiced her thoughts. The other girl answered her with a smile.
 
Jelmerie sat beside the girl and smiled reminiscently. It was a story she like so much, a perfect fairy tale, perfect and real.
 
“I'm not. My mom used to be part of a private army of some underground association. They take orders from various people to do dirty jobs, kill rivals, blow up plants, beat up someone, anything a bad guy can think of and only scums are welcome to avail of their services.” Ryoko gasped.
“You really sure??? But how did she end up on the other side?”
“During their younger days, both my grandparents had a relationship. Since they were both from affluent families, no one intervened with them, not until my grandmother found out that she was betrothed to someone else and had to migrate. Years later, she met my grandfather again and had a short affair, ending up having a child with him. Her husband soon found out about this but because of family reputation, he didn't divorce my grandmother. It was terrible because he mistreated her and my mom. The beating did not stop and when my grandmother died, he turned to my mother. Mom was left alone to fend for herself and decided to run away. Some of grandfather's enemies have in one way or another learned of the family secret lured my mom to join them.”
“And your grandfather?”
“He didn't know a thing during that time.” Jelmerie smiled.
“How did she and your father meet then?
“My dad worked for my grandfather and was assigned to take on the organization by being one of them. Soon enough, he gained popularity and became well-known in the underground, he did so well that he was considered to be given a place among the leaders. That's when he started taking the organization apart. Soon, all the eladers fell, throwing the organization in disorder. My mom was lucky to survive everything and together with other members, they set out for revenge.”
“Then how come they ended up together?”
“My dad actually fell for her during the time the organization was still strong. They went to do some work together and he couldn't help but fall…”
“But then my mom hated him so much that she took it to herself to kill dad. Sounds familiar? Ryoko's attentive look turned to a fierce glare.
“Shut up and stick to the fats.” She snapped.
“Fine, fine…” Jelmerie grinned sheepishly before continuing.
“Mom wanted to kill him so much and yet she wasn't able to do so when they fought one on one. Some of her groupmates were captured with her and was about to be taken away when dad seized her and made a run for it. They fled, just the two of them, bringing nothing…”
“They did that? But your mother hate him? What happened?”
“Mom was so shocked that she wasn't able to react. Anyways, they were intercepted even before they went too far. Dad save mom from a bullet and it softened her a lot.” Jelemrie smiled
“Then they got a call from grandpa. It seems that someone told him about my mom's true identity. Father and daughter met, and after some time, mom and dad got married.” Jelmerie finished with a smile.
“So that's your proof that even if you're enemies, there's still chance that…” but she was cut off by Ryoko
“Ever heard of loopholes? Exception to the rule?” Ryoko glared.
“Fine. But remember what Cammy said one time? History might repeat itself…” Jelmerie paused for a while.
“She was talking to the two of us then, maybe she saw something… Ne, what do you think? Maybe she's directing that statement to you…” she snickered.
“Like hell, I'm not stupid enough to fall for anyone, especially for an enemy!” Ryoko huffed while Jelemrie just shrugged.
“And besides she might have meant it for you.” Ryoko smirked.
Jelmerie was momentarily frozen with Ryoko's words. Then with shreds of doubt in mind, she shook the thoughts from her head.
-o0o-
 
Ran sighed as he watched his sister sat absorbed in a lively conversation. She had been kidnapped and all but still she's out there as if nothing happened. Ran shook his head, maybe it's something that runs in their blood.
 
“She's old enough.” A familiar voice said from behind. The redhead turned around to see Sora smiling at him, snow cone in hand.
“You can't tail her forever you know.” She added matter-of-factly. Ran just looked at her and then turned back to watching Aya-chan
“Just reminding you, the flight's scheduled tomorrow.” The woman said before turning to leave.
 
Sora was already far off when she felt someone following her. Glancing behind her, she was surprised to see him walking behind her.
 
“What're you doing here?” she asked. He replied with a shrug
“You're weird.” She muttered.
“By the way, you haven't told her yet? She deserves to know.” She said.
“No.” Sora rolled her eyes.
“You're too protective of them. They can very well take care of themselves already. It's hard to let them go but sooner or later they will part from you on their own free will.” Ran just stared at the pavement. Sora sighed inwardly, giving up on talking to the cat.
“Sora.” Ran spoke finally. The woman looked at him.
“Watch over Aya when I'm away.” Sora smiled and nodded.
 
-o0o-
 
Jelmerie carelessly threw her bag to the chair before collapsing on the mattress. She groaned as the thought of homeworks and quizzes filled her mind. The training for that day was strenuous and the fact that it was extended for a full hour didn't help. Exhausted, she lay on the bed for some time, pondering on the past years. It was then that her eyes fell on the picture frame on the table. Jelmerie reached out and looked at it. Soo, a small droplet fell on the frame's glass, followed by another until it kept falling.
 
“Dad, I miss you so much…” she whispered.
“Jelmerie?”
 
The girl sat upright, wiped her tears and opened the door. TO her surprise, she saw her grandfather standing outside, smiling.
“Grampa? What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be in a meeting?” she asked, silently hoping he won't notice her eyes.
“I let Vaughn attend it for me. I'm too old for things like that.” He chuckled.
“May I come in?”
 
Jelmerie nodded with a smile. She led him inside and offered him a seat. Her grandfather gazed at her, his aged eyes noting the expression and dullness of her eyes. He then proceeded to look around, silently hunting for any clue that might help.
“Grampa” Jelmerie asked
 
He turned to her and smile, it was then when he saw the picture frame. Picking it up, he knew that he had found the answer.
 
“Your father was a very good man. I've never found someone like him before. He was efficient in his work and diligent in taking care of his family. I'm lucky to have him as a worker and as a family member.” Her grandfather began.
“He never wanted you or Vaughn to be dragged into this dirty business. He promised that to your mother before she died but circumstances changed everything. And yet, he always looked after your safety.” Jelemrie's tears started to fall again.
“Then why'd they kill him?” she asked bitterly.
“Your dad had enemies. The ones whom the law failed to judge. They wanted to get revenge on him. In this kind of work, it is inevitable.”came the reply.
 
Jelemrie gritted her teeth. She'd known that for years now but she still can't find why her father should be taken from them.
 
“Sometimes I feel guilty for what happened. I shouldn't have let them go back here. I feared something might happen, and worse, you and your brother could be involved.” he added in a wearied tone.
“We can defend ourselves grampa.” She retorted. The toehr looked at her and smiled.
“You're just like your mother. That's why your father's been spoiling you all these years.” He laughed.
 
-o0o-
 
“Hey Jel?” Yuki said, poking her head inside the room.
“What is it?” Jelemrie answered from behind the other girl
 
Yuki turned around, not expecting Jelmerie top be outside the room. She gave her a sheepish grin.
 
“Er, Sorry. Your door's open and I thought you're there so…” Yuki explained.
 
“It's nothing.” Jelemrie smiled.
“Have you packed alreasy? We'll be leaving early tomorrow.” Jelemrie nodded.
“Ne Jel…” Yuk isaid hesitantly.
“Hm?”
“you want to go to Vaughn right?” the other just stared at her.
“Of course. Why'd you ask suddenly?”
“Well… I have news that he's in New York right now for his mission. I also happen to have access to his current location and other stuff.” Jelmerie listened, nodding once in a while.
“If you want, I'll handle the London mission while you and Ran go to your brother.”
“But…”
“It's okay. I know how much you want to see him.”
“Does Sora and the others know?” Yuki smirked at her.
“No. Well, they'll eventually hear about it when you're already with Vaughn so they can't do a thing. They can't and certainly won't risk exposure if they'd contact you there.” The older girl explained.
“You sure about that?” Yuki nodded.
“We'll arrange things when we get to London. You need to stay there for a few days to let everyone think you're really there for the mission…”
“And you?”
“I'll be fine. I can handle the mission on my own.” Jelmerie gave her a grateful smile.
“Ne Yuki, does Ran know about this?” Jelmerie inquired.
“Uhm, actually…” she began.
“I'm just about to tell him…”
“Huh!?!?! What if he refuse?” There was a hint of disappointment in her voice.
“He won't.” Yuki answered, waving.
 
-o0o-
 
 
Ran silently watched Jelmerie and Yuki during the flight and until they set foot on the Angel's mansion. He's still reluctant about Yuki's proposal but agreed anyway having known how awful it was to have a loved one in danger. Though still concerned for Yuki who will be left alone, he decided to call for help.
 
“Sora...” he muttered as the woman answered.
“Hi! How are you guys, any problem there?”
“I think we're going to need reinforcement.” he said directly.
“Huh? Why so early? Is there anything wrong?” Sora's voice showed concern. Ran flinched.
“I figured it is necessary.” was all he said, not wanting to elaborate.
“Okay but we're also a bit full here since there had been an urgent mission. If you want I can send for the new kitty.” Ran would've been more irritated if he was seeing the mischievous glint playing in Sora's eyes.
“Maybe we can make arrangements. What do you think?” she added, trying hard not to chuckle.
“Nevermind. Bye.” he said then hung up. He hasn't finished shaking his head when his phone rang again. It took a few seconds before he answered it.
“Oh kitty, I forgot to tell you something...” Sora said from the other line.
 
-o0o-
 
“WHAT!!?!? YOU'RE GRANDFATHER'S HERE?!?!?!?!?!” Yuki shrieked then flopped down on the bed.
“Yeah. Ran received a call from Sora earlier. What are we going t o do now?” she said exasperatedly at having their plan ruined so early.
“Well we can't move yet, let's just bide our time.”
“But brother!” Jelemrie blurted out.
“I know but we have no choice, one wrong move and we're done for.”
 
-o0o-
 
“Jel, you're grandfather's downstairs.” Yuki said from the other side of the door.
 
Jelmerie sighed and nervously made her way to the receiving room where her grandfather sat waiting. The old man's eyes sparkled and he smiled at seeing her.
 
“You're looking good and healthy.” he smiled
“How's your wound?”
“It's okay now. Jelmerie smiled
“This is why I didn't want any of you two joining the organization. Just knowing that you're out there is enough to kill me.” the old man sighed.
“I'm sorry but it was our own choice. Don't worry, we can take care wof ourselves.”
“You call being wounded taking a good care?” his grandfather said with raised eyebrow. Jelmerie grinned sheepishly.
 

The old man laughed and ruffled her hair. Afterwards, the two went out around the city and had conversations about the time they spent from each other. All trhoughoutt he morning Jelmerie was able to laugh freely. Being weith her grandfather again made her forget her anxiety over Vaughn but at the same time made her feel guilty. Is she to risk losing his trust just by going to help Vaughn?
 
“Grandpa...?” she began hesitantly
“Hm?”
“Do you have any news about brother?” the old man sighed.
“He's doing well. I'm sorry but that's all I can say. Jelemrie nodded and just looked out at the horizon.
 
 
-o0o-
 
Jelmerie wandered aimlessly around the city after telling her grandfather that she needs to go somewhere else. She did so in order to think things out but hours after she and her grandfather parted, her mind still refused to function. Frustrated, she decided to give up and go home. It was then that she noticed that she was already in front of the music school she used to attend
 
~ Flashback ~
 
“For the summer, you'll be taking your lessons here, just like your brother. You said you want to practice right?” his father smiled as he and Jelmerie walked into the gate.
“Really? I can't wait!” she smiled, clinging onto his arm.
 
~ End of Flashback ~
 
After gaining entrance, she walked to the director's office and greeted the director who had been good friends with her father. After a short chat, she decided to go around the premises. Walking up to the floor where violin classes are conducted, she peered into each and every room, looking for her former instructor. Some rooms were empty and those with classes are not being handled by the one she's looking for. Sighing, she decided to just finish the tour and go back when she noticed that the farthest room stood open and a sweet tune was coming out from it. Curious, she walked closer and she could discern the almost familiar tune coming from that particular room.
 
“'Teacup?'” she wondered.
 
At last, she reached the door and from there she saw the lone musician in the room, a boy around her age, with short, blond hair playing the violin. She stayed until the boy finished, impressed at his skill. Her mind reeled back to her days with the violin. When she came back to her senses, she was already face to face with the smiling boy.
 
“Er...” she began shyly.
“Are you new here Miss?” he asked gently.
“Uhm. N-no. Actually I... uhm...” she stammered still embrassed.
“By the way, I'm Shin, Shin Windsor. How about you?” the boy asked, holding out a hand.
“Jelmerie Seymour.” she replied.
“The daughter of Mr. Conrad Seymour?” Jelmerie nodded.
“I'm so glad to meet you, may I invite you to step inside for a while?” Jelmerie nodded and followed the boy, taking the seat offered to her.
“You knew my father?” she asked curiously. Shin nodded.
“He is a good family friend. Actually it was Mr. Seymour who used to bring me music sheets.” He smiled but Jelmerie's face fell.
“Oh sorry if I said something bad.” he said, his face showing genuine signs of concern. Jelmerie shook her head and smiled.
“No I'm fine. By the way, the piece you just played, I was wondering if it was Gackt's 'Teacup'” Shin's face lit up suddenly.
“Yeah! How'd you know?”
“From a friend of mine.” Jelmerie replied, remembering how Ken and Yuki fought over Gackt a few days after the angels moved to the kitties' place.
“It's weird that you're playing such a piece instead of classical ones.” she remarked.
“Actually I like both pieces...” he wasn't able to continue as a voice boomed from the door.
“Miss Jelmerie is that you!?!?!” Jelmerie looked around and saw her former instructor outside the room. She stood up and greeted her.
“I'm glad to see you agaiun Miss Tonkin!” she smiled widely. At the same time, Shin stood up.
“I see you've met Mr. Windsor. He is our newest pride here, inborn musician and is actually a multi-instrumentalist.” the instructor beamed, patting Shin.
“Miss Tonkin, I believe that is already grandstanding. I'm just a plain student here.” the boy smiled while the instructor grunted.
“Oh stop it Shin, you are the best student here and everyone knows it. By the way, if you must know, Miss Jelmerie here was also a prized student during her stay here...”
“You studied here?” Shin asked.
“Why of course! She had won five trophies from different contests and citations for her concerts!”
“Grandstanding.” Jelmerie grinned and the three laughed.
 
-o0o-
 
Ran looked up from his plate to see Jelmerie running. The girl stopped upon seeing him.
 
“Good morning!” she greeted enthusiastically. Ran answered with a nod.
“Where's Yuki?”
“Still asleep.” the redhead replied.
“Uhm, is it okay if I go out for a while? I promise I'll helpo with the mission later.” she said nervously. Ran considered her request for a while but eventually assented.
“Yay thanks! Bye!!!” with this, the girl ran along, leaving the redhead looking at her.
 
-o0o-
 
“Mi~it~chi~ii...” Ryoko smiled as she joined the brunette after class. The boy replied with a small smile.
“Ne, you okay Mimi?”
“Yeah. I'm just thinking about something.” he said, feigning a smile while the girl rolled her eyes.
“If it's about what Aya-chan said...”
 
~ Flashback ~
 
“Thinking deeply about something Princess? Here have a coffee.” Yoji smiled, offering a cup to her,
“No I was just...” but she was cut off by Ryoko.
“Oi you, don't tell me you're planning something bad just because her brother's away.” Ryoko sputtered indignantly. Yoji just rolled his eyes.
“I'm thinking about that boy, Nagi...” Omi, Ryoko and Yoji gaped at her.
“I don't know why he's on the other side, why he's fighting...” again Ryoko cut her off.
“Because he's a complete and total idiot!” was her matter-of-fact statement.
“No, that's not what I mean Ryo-chan” the older girl said mildly.
“Didn't you notice how gentle he was?”
“No!” Ryoko glared.
“But you can see it in his actions. Yes he's doing his job of guarding us but at the same time he's letting us do what he wants.”
“That's because he's weak and you're there. It's obvious that he likes you.” Ryoko shot back.
“There's more to him and I'm sure of it. Ryo-chan, have you noticed his eyes?”
“No!” the girl lied.
“His eyes are so sad, as if he hasn't found happiness yet, or that he won't find it ever...”
“Do you like him Princess?” Ryoko snickered.
“Fascinated may be the word. It's like I'm drawn to him...”
“I know what you feel Princess...” Yoji smiled.
 
~ End of Flashback ~
 
“It's not really the end of it you know. She didn't admit she like him and besides, you're here while Naoe's with Schwarz. Fight, Mimi!” Ryoko cheered. Omi gave her a small smile.
“But in the end it will be all up to her.” he said, in a voice almost like a whisper.
 
-o0o-
 
Ran sat away from the computer, tired of reading the reports and examining the case. With Jelmerie and Yuki investigating, he was left alone in the mansion and as much as he hates to admit, he's already bored out of his wits. It was then that his eyes feel on his phone on the desk and before he knew it, he was already hearing a ring from the other line.
 
“Hello?”
 
The redhead seemed to be roused by cold water at the voice. He took the receiver away from him, wondering why exactly he called her. Shaking his head, he ended the call and laid down the phone. Not a minute later, it rang, displaying Aya-chan's ID.
 
“Aya?” he said quickly.
“So kitty, why did you call?” Ran gaped at hearing Sora's voice.
“Kitty?” Sora repeated when he failed to answer.
 
Once again, Ran shook his head and ended the call.
 
-o0o-
 
 
“Weird... Oh by the way, thanks Aya-chan.” Sora smiled, handing the phone back to the girl.
“What did he say?” Aya-chan asked.
“Nothing. He hung up on me. Again.” she shrugged. Aya-chan giggled.
“Eh? Why are you laughing?”
“Er. Nothing, nothing Soranee-san!”
 
-o0o-
 
Ryoko tossed and turned in her bed as the prospect of sleep seemed impossible. Annoyed, she decided to finish the book she borrowed from the library. After flicking open the lights, she sat on the bed and reached for the said book. When she did so, a small sound caught her attention. Looking at the floor, whe saw the yin yang necklace which was knocked over to the floor. The girl held it up and stared at it for a long while, her mind trailing back to Okinawa.
 
“That stupid Prodigy!” she thought when the accidental kiss played over and over in her mind
 
She angrily flung the necklace to the desk as it reminded her of how much she hates the boy.
 
“He's even making Omi more miserable and to think, it's already personal matters.” She muttered indignantly
 
But then Aya-chan's observations floated in her mind, shattering her thoughts.
 
`Didn't you notice how gentle he was?' `His eyes are so sad, as if he hasn't found happiness yet, or that he won't find it ever''' over and over the words turned inside her head and was added by another memory.
 
~ Flashback ~
 
“What are we doing here?” Ryoko inquired, looking around the airport.
“Saying good bye to a friend.” Camellia smiled. Ryoko's brow furrowed, trying to remember who was about to leave. Her answer came soon enough as Nagi walked over to them.
“You're letting him leave? Why!?” Ryoko hissed in disbelief.
“I told you I like his future.” The other smiled.
“Take a good care of yourself.” Camellia said before Nagi disapperead into the crowd.
“That was serious treachery.” Ryoko glared as soon as the boy was out of sight.
“Yeah I know but as long as the others don't know about this, there's no treachery. Not unless you squeal.” Camellia smirked making Ryoko roll her eyes.
“Ne Ryo-chan, I have this little message for you.” The girl smiled knowingly as she handed an envelope to the other girl.
“But don't open it yet…” she added quickly as the girl motioned to rip apart the envelope.
“And when can I do that?”
“Where's the other half of your necklace?” came Camellia's reply.
“I think I misplaced it or something. I remember wearing it at the hospital but the rest is a blur. But it'll eventually turn up.” Ryoko shrugged.
“So, when can I open this damn letter?” she continued.
“I'll tell you Ryo-chan, just wait.
 
~ End of Flashback ~
 
Ryoko sighed. She ahd received Camellia's go signal. The letter which Yuki brought from Transylvania told her when… the time when she finds the missing half. She stood up from her bed, completely forgetting about reading or trying to sleep. She retrieved Camelli'as letter from a box and with shaking hands, slowly opened the flap.
 
-o0o-
 
Jelmerie patiently waited for the elevator to arrive. Whilst he car ascended, she ran through her speech in her mind. She knew what she is about to face and she needs all the confidence she can muster. At last, the elevator door opened and she walked onto the floor where her grandfather's office was.
 
“Jelmerie, is that you already dear?” a voice boomed.
“Mrs. William! I'm so glad to see you!” she smiled.
“Me too. You've grown to be a beautiful young lady. I heard you're on top of your class again. That's good. By the way, why don't you give us a call sometimes?”
 
After a few more words, Mrs. Williams departed, leaving Jelmerie alone, waiting for the time she will be called in. Not long after Mrs. Williams had left, the door to her grandfather's office opened and out came a dashing woman who smiled upon seeing her.
 
“Jel!” she greeted.
“Miss Belle! What are you doing here?” Jelmerie grinned, happy at the sight of one of her trainers.
“I just dropped some files. Oh, you're records are pretty good, keep it up with your training okay?” the woman smiled again then walked to the secretary's desk.
 
A double life, that is how she lives. On one hand she is a straight A student, on the other, a top trainee of a secret organization. Sooner or later, she knew she would have to choose between the two. She can only take one road and today, she has finally arrived at a decision.
 
“Miss Belle…” she spoke up, walking behind the woman.
“Yes?”
“Do you think I can make it as a Rebelling Angel?”
 
-o0o-
 
“Wh yare you still awake?” Manx asked as she and Birman found Sora at the living room floor, sitting in the middle of folders and papers.
“And what are these? The Angels'files?” Birman asked with a raised eyebrow upon reading a discarded piece of paper. Sora nodded not looking up from the papers in her hand.
“What exactly are you doing?” Manx asked. Sora sighed and dropped the papers.
“Isn't it weird that Jelmerie chose to be an Angel…” she said, looking at the two.
“And why did you say so? She has all the skills an Angel needs.” Birman answered matter-of-factly.
“Because she isn't supposed to join the organization and it was her choice to be trained as an Angel. I didn't see her name in the original list.”
“You mean she didn't go through the entire process?” Manx chimed in.
“She did. But I'm wondering why she chose to be an Angel?”
“Well it's an elite team, made only of the best.” Manx xhrugged.
“I asked her once why she decided to join the group. She said that it was for her father…”
“Her father was assassinated right? Maybe that's the reason.” Birman reasoned out.
“Revenge?”
“The group behind the assassination were wiped out. All of them and yet Jelmerie pursued her training…” Sora said wistfully.
“So you're wondering what is her real purpose in joining…” Manx sighed.
“Well, that is the one question only Jel can answer.” Birman said.
 
-o0o-
 
“What's up?” Yuki smiled as she joined Jelmerie in the garden. Jelemrie answered with a smile.
“Did you go back to your music school?”
“Uh huh. I miss the place a lot.” The girl answered.
“Looks like you're enjoying your stay.” The other girl nodded.
“That's good. At least it takes the tension off.”
 
-o0o-
 
The next day, Yuki waited at a street corner a block away from Jelmerie's music school. She and Jelmerie will be talking about the hackings, and also of their personal mission. After a few minutes, she caught sight of Jelmerie and smirked as she saw a boy walking beside her. Jelmerie eventually saw her and soon waved good bye to the blonde boy.
 
“Who was that?” Yuki asked playfully.
“Just a friend of mine.” Jelmerie shrugged.
“Oo~hh… Okay!” the older girl grinned mischievously.
 
The two settled for some snacks and discussed their missions. Afterwards, the talk shifted to other things.
 
“I feel like I'm back to my normal life again.” Jelmerie sighed.
“I know what you mean but this will not last long.” Yuki replied wistfully.
“Ne, will you trade being an Angel for a normal life?” Yuki stared at Jelmerie.
“Depends. Why?”
“It's just that I joined the Angels because of my family but now, it looks like I'm missing the normal life.”
“We are assassins now because we've made it our lives and only something more significant can change that. If, despite everything, your outlook remains the same, then you won't get out of this life. But if you find yourself thinking about letting go, then maybe you've found a reason that outweighs your cause and even your blood.” The older girl answered.
 
-o0o-
 
Shin stood up nervously as Jelmerie approached.
 
“Uhm… Thank you for coming. I'm sorry if it was unexpected.” The boy explained nervously.
“It's okay. I'm not doing anything at home anyway. So, why did you call me?” she smiled.
 
The two were walking along the deserted school grounds. It was already dark and only the security personnel was in the premises. Shin had waited at the gate and is now leading her to the room where they had first met.
 
“Sorry if it's inconvenient but I only finished it now.” He apologized as they entered the room.
“Finished what?”
“Well, I'll be going to Japan in a couple of days for a diplomatic meeting.” He said shyly.
“Really? That's great!”
“Actually, a friend invited me and asked me to play a piece in the party to be held there.”
“Jel… I would like you to listen to the piece. It's the one I'll be playing during that party.”
“Sure!”
“With a wide smile, Shin bowed then proceeded to take his place in front of the room. After one last bow to his sole audience, he started playing.
 
-o0o-
 
Jelmerie eyed her grandfather after she had told him of her request.
 
“Jelemrie,do you know what you're asking?” the old man spoke up after a sigh.
“Your father and mother won't let you if they're alive...” he continued.
“But I'm doing this for them...”she replied quietly.
“Still, they want you to be a normal girl Jelmerie.”
“How can I do that? My family's all working underground!”
“We would like the tradition to end with your brother.” Jelmerie sank back in her chair.
“No way. I'm going to join no matter what.”
“My father was shot in front of my very eyes when i was twelve----” her sentence was cut of by her grandfather.
“If you're planning revenge...” this time, Jelmerie didn't let him finish.
“It's not revenge. I want to protect others.”
“You can do that in other ways, not by being an assassin.”
“No. I want to be an Angel. I want to protect my charge and kill gor his sake because I know that even an assassin has a life. I want to protect someone the way dad had protected me. Please grandfather” she pleaded.
“This is my own choice.”
 
-o0o-
 
“Jel are you okay?”
 
Jelmerie looked up and saw a pair of clear blue eyes looking at her with concern. Shin was half kneeling on the floor, peering at her.
 
“Oh, sorry...” she smiled, wiping her tears.
“Maybe you're tired. I'm sorry, I was selfish to have you come here and all...”
“No, it's not that. It's your piece, it's too moving and it reminded me of a lot of things.” she said.
“It's very beautiful, did you compose everything?” she asked, now back to her usual spirits.
“I had been working on it for years but it's only now that I've finished it. This afternoon actually.” he smiled.
“Really? That's great!” the girl smiled.
“Actually, the reason why I wanted you to hear that is... Well, I owe the whole piece to your dad.” the girl gaped at him.
“He used to tell me stories about England, about his family. I would then imagine all that he says and the tune would soon follow. During the times when he visits us, I was able to compose most of this piece but stopped when he left. Even when we moved here I can't continue it. Only once have I added something, and that was when he died. I thought I won't be able to finish it but when you came, it's just like the notes started poring into my mind. Jel, I think that your father would like you to hear this piece...” Jelmerie started trembling in her seat for as soon as the boy started playing, memories of her family flashed into her mind, making her cry.
“Dad, what are you trying to tell me?” she thought.
“Jel, can I ask something of you?” the girl looked at him.
“Is it okay if I name this piece after you?”
 
-o0o-
 
“Tsk, tsk, tsk, you've been working at this place for ages and still you can't do things straight?” Joshua sighed, shaking his head at Ryoko who was caught in a mass of tangled ribbons.
“Shut up!” she shouted.
 
Sora laughed at the two. If it wasn't Yoji and Ryoko fighting, it would be Joshua and Ryoko, and of coursem the little sweet moments of Omi and Aya-chan are to be followed closely.
 
“Well at least there's no dull moment here.” she grinned as she helped Omi and Yoji close the shop while continuing watching Joshua and Ryoko bicker. But she was soon interrupted by the ringing of her phone.
“Hello?” she answered, not even looking at the display scrren for the caller's ID.
“Ran!?!” she then automatically turned to the clock at the shop.
“It should be close to dawn there, Are you guys okay?”
 
-o0o-
 
Ran flinched at the tone of concern in Sora's voice but answered anyway.
 
“We're fine. How're things there?”
“We're all okay here. Ryoko and Omi are doing great with the firewalls and they are starting to track th hacker. How bout the mission there?”
“Well, we have a theory that the hackings are connected to the upcoming visit some members of the Parliament to Japan.”
“Really? But why,what does it have to do with that?”
“The hackings here were detected some time after the announcement was made about the visit. The people here are afraid that the hackers have already penetrated the systems long before it was detected.” he explained. On the other line, Sora bit her lip.
“Omi and Ryo said that the hackings in Japan started only two weeks before. Could it be that they are planning to reveal the whole organization?”
“Possible. Or maybe that they are planning to make the two countries go to war. They can make it appear that Japan has a private army to assassinate the members of the Parliament and at the same time, London is conducting surveillance operations on Japan and its government.”
“Omi and Ryo have secured the databases here and are keeping close watch. Have you got any suspect?”
“We thought it could be a politician or diplomat. We're already doing background checks...” in the other line, Sora nodded.
 
-o0o-
 
“Joshua Johnston you jerk!!!!!!” Ryoko shrieked angrily, followed by a crash. This diverted Sora's attention from the call to the riot at the shop.
“What's happening?” Ran asked from the other line.
“Oh that? Josh had just made Ryo very angry and they are now on a cat and mouse chase around the shop. Casualty? Two pots, a vase, and yards of ribbons.
“Oi stop it!!!” Yoji yelled but was unheard as Ryoko finally caught up with Joshua and in her fury grabbed a ribbon and started strangling the boy. Sora laughed hard.
“Sorry about that. It's just that Ryo's doing Yo-tan and is now strangling Josh to death, with a ribbon that is.” to her surprise, he heard laughter from the other line.
“Uh Ran are you okay?” were the words that came out of her mouth.
“Yeah.” he answered after his laughing fit.”
“Anyway, that's all I can tell you right now. If there are any progress, we'll contact you as soon as possible.” he continued, his voice back to its usual monotone.
“Okay then. By the way you should get some sleep.” she smiled.
“I will. Good night.” Ran answered then hung up.
“Did I hear him right?” Sora thought as she stared at her phone, surprised at the unexpected response from the usually cold Abyssinian.
 
-o0o-
“Ne Jel, I have a breaking news!” Yuki said excitedly.
“Your grandfather's leaving the country tomorrow.” Jelmerei's eyes widened.
“And there's a flight going to ________ at the same time too. Ne Jel, are we going to push through with the plan?”
“What time?” Jelmerie asked after a deep breath.
 
-o0o-
 
“I'm sorry I have to go Jel, An unexpected busines came up.” her grandfather apologized as they talked on the phone.
“I understand. Is it about brother?”
“No. It's pure business. Don't worry your brother's fine.”
 
Jelemrie sighed and walked back to the room where Shin was practicing. As their gazes met, Jelmerie smiled.
 
“Jel...” Shin started,
“I'm going to have a concert here tomorrow. Can you make it?” he asked, presenting a ticket. Jelmerie was dumbstruck.
“T-tomorrow? At what time?” she asked, dreading the answer.
“Six pm.” her face then fell.
“Shin... I---I don't think I can make it...” she muttered, avoiding his gaze.
“I will be going with my grandfather. Our flight wil be tomoroww afternoon.” she added quickly.
“It's okay. By the way, since we won't be seeing each other tomorrow, can I ask you out for lunch today?” the boy smiled shyly.
“A date?” Jelmerie snickered while Shin blushed bright red.
“Sure!” she grinned, holding onto his arm.
 
-o0o-
Ran watched as Jelmerie went up to her room, leaving Yuki behind. He entered the living room and joined Yuki on the couch.
 
“Good luck with your mission. And take care of Jel!” she grinned.
“Yuki. You know assassins don't have the right to indulge in personal matters...” he said. Yuki flinched inwardly. So her cousin was eavesdropping...
“But we can't help it can we? Not even you can faithfully follow it.” she smirked a scoring against the redhead.
“Yet it doesn't mean that we go tolerating it.”
“I just want to help her!” the girl reasoned out.”
“Yes. But a the same time impliedly telling her it's okay to be more than friends with someone. You know one of them will get hurt in the end right?” he said watching Yuki's expression change, knowing he had scored against her now.
“Like I said, I just want to help her” Ran sighed.
“The last time you did that, disaster happened.” he reminded her gently.
“I know that's why I'm doing it again. This time I swear I'm going to do it right. I just want to make up for that disaster and besides... the situations less dangerous so I can pull it off without anyone getting hurt.” she smiled. Ran sighed knowing that his cousin won't let him win.
“You just be careful okay?” he said standing up. Yuki watched him until he was almost out of sight.
“Ranya-chan...” she called.
“Next time, don't just talk about the mission, say good night then hung up like that. Just talk to her about things. You know you want to.” Yuki grinned knowingly.
 
-o0o-
“Mr. Shin Windsor?”
 
Shin turned to the speaker, a girl with raven hair. His brow furrowed as he failed to recognize the stranger who had just addressed him while who was smiling.
 
“Yes. What can I do for you miss?” he asked smiling.
“Jelmerie wanted to give this to you and sends her apology for failing to come.” with this, Yuki handed him an envelope.
 
Shin thanked the girl and then proceeded to read the letter. Folding it, he tucked the letter in a pocket. Jelmerie had told him that she enjoyed her and and wished him the best of luck. But what made him happier was the invitation to visit her at her house in Japan and a certain shop where she works part-time.
 
“Mr. Windsor, the concert will start i ntwo minutes. Are you ready?” a production staff asked.
“Yes.” he smiled widely.
 
-o0o-
 
A knock on his door woke up Vaughn. Looking at the clock, his senses flared. He's expecting no one a this hour and yet the knocking is persistent. He walked to his open laptop and consulted the feedback of the camera he had planted outside,
 
“It can't be...” he stared.
 
-o0o-
 
“Hi Ryo-chan!” Sora smield as the girl walked into her office.
“Are you okay?” she asked noticing her restless state.
“Are you busy?” the girl asked.
“No . Why? Do you need anything?” she asked kindly.
“Well...”
 
Ryoko did not continue and isntead placed a piece of paper on the desk. Sora took it up and read it then looked back at Ryoko.
 
“It's from Cammy. I was wondering if you can decode it for me.” the gril muttered.
“You also have a message from her.” she added. Sora looked at the paper once again
 
Ryo-chan,
ITTHECTHUOOUNIRFOIRFAEYABHHEMYWTDMAAMNUMMLOVEIEYEOWUIETWETEIHL UIALFAAUHRSTEHSHVNAYWNUDURNWOEBHDOOIIEPOIGTRTEDIYHYEPLNSSCPULTIEURNLOUTSAEE IIAYTLHFNRYALUSHERBASOMTHBRUIEOOKRBEPTEGANMOAEELNTYKNFATAOCATOY
 
 
P.S.,
The next part is for Sora. If you're having a hard time with my message, you can ask help from her.
 
 
SDESOOANAFEONEELPGTTOODSRURYCRMTDTITEAITRNEAYSIAEEYEJHTHVSLIAT CGOENNAELTEEJEEETMPGOEUEGGNTIOLYUMRCHELIDBNHTNDOTYILSTYRECEVEATEHEFSTUMLTOT EROAEDCIRECEHLKSLTKHTIMSTMKLWYKEAEIUOEEIUGEEHETYEILLRNARVLENNHS
 
Cammy
 
“That girl, pulling tricks from beyond the grave.” Sora sighed, shaking her head.
“Just leave it here and I'll work at it.” She smiled. Ryoko nodded hesitantly then went out of the room.
 
Sora turned to the letter once again, her hand moving along the letters. With a knowing smile, she grabbed a paper and started writing.
 
“Ha!” she exclaimed a the result then started laughing.
“Now you've done it Cammy. Good job!” she mused as her phone rang.
“Yes Ran?”
“Sora, about the reinforcement…”
“You guys aren't in serious trouble are you?” she asked.
“No.” the redhead replied irritably.
“It's just…” Sora listened as Ran laid out the plan.
“But that's…”
“She can't handle it on her own.” The redhead said.
“Okay but like I've told you, we can only send for him. Joshua's pulling out already and we have loads of missions.” He did not answer for a while and Sora knew he was considering his options.
“Fine.” He grumbled finally.
“Then I'll arrange everything. Don't worry.”
“You guys take care. That'sa avery dangerous mission.” She added.
 
-o0o-
 
Aya-chan sat down on the swing at the playground waiting for the other to talk.
 
“I'm sorry I got you in trouble last time.” He finally said.
“It's not your fault. So, what do you want to talk about?” she smiled.
“I'm flying to London for a mission.” He said.
“So, you're really in? I'm sorry if I'd put so much pressure on you.”
“No. It was my own decision.”
“By the way…” she began but was cut off by a look from him.
 
-o0o-
 
Nagi walked to the park where he used to see Aya-chan. He settled on a bench then stared at the people passing by. Guilt still overwhelming in him at having betrayed the girl. He was too deep in though t that a hand on his shoulder startled him.. Only the crowd stopped him from making the intruder fly and instead, he looked sideways and was surprised to see Aya-chan standing beside him.
 
“Can I join you?” the girl smiled. When she did not receive a reply, she took the liberty of sharing the bench with him.
“Was it also you who was at the park before?” Again the boy didn't answer.
“Thanks for being kind to us while we were at Okinawa…”
“I don't deserve it…” he said finally.
“I… I was the one who told them about you, where you can be found.” He confessed. Aya-chan's face fell
“Well I guess it can't be helped. W e are opposing teams.” She sighed.
“We saw, or rather felt yoiur presence. When you thought we'd left, we just hid somewhere and then I followed you here.” Nagi stared at her.
“Did they send you to spy?” she asked softly
“No!” cam hius automatic answer. Aya-chan noted the strain on his voice. Nagi then stood up and walked briskly away from her.
“Nagi-kun wait!” Without thinking, Nagi stopped.
“I don't care if we're enemis or not. You look like a nice person. So…. Can we be friends?” she smiled, extending a hand.
“Princess…” he muttered. Aya-chan laughed.
“I see you've been eavesdropping for a long time to learn that.” The boy blushed bright red.
“Friends” she asked again. This time Nagi responded by taking her hand with a smile.
 
-o0o-
 
Connecting Threads Part II
Knots
 
-o0o-
 
Manx shook her head after reading Sora's message. She should have known that including Jelmerie in the London mission has a hidden agenda. Pushing the though out of her mind, she emptied her glass and was about to ask for her bill when a waiter placed another glass of drink in front of her.
 
“Wait, I didn't order this…” she said but the waiter just smiled.
“It's from the gentleman over there…” He explained, pointing at the seat a few feet from her. Manx followed his train and found Yoji, glass raised and smiling.
 
-o0o-
 
Yuki looked around discreetly, trying to locate someone as she passed tables and waiters. At last, she found him, long platinum blonde hair, stunning blue eyes that goes with his pretty face. She approached the table where he was sitting. The man looked up and after a moment smiled.
 
“Mr. Millard Pitschurt? I'm Madison Davies.” She introduced, holding out her hand.
 
Milalrd stood up and shook hands with her but not without a surprised look on his face. He then motioned for her to sit down after which he called for a waiter.
 
“No. It's okay.” She smiled at the waiter who handed her the menu.
“Two of your house specialty please.” Millard said then the waiter departed.
“So, you're from Kritiker's England base.” Yuki nodded.
“You're too young for espionage.” He remarked making the girl laugh.
“I think age is not a problem. We can consider it as an advantage but never a problem.”
“I don't think your superiors think the same if you know what I mean.” The two laughed.
“Mr. Pitschurt, we have discovered that it was you who was hacking into our database.” Yuki began. The man smiled knowingly.
“Did you come to kill me?” Yuki shook her head
“You've gone deep into our system to know who we kill. Like what I've said in my e-mail, I only want to talk.”
“Don't worry, I'm not going to expose your organization…” Yuki stared at him, studying his features.
“Then maybe you have another thing in mind. Perhaps a bargain?” she smirked.
 
Millard was about to reply when the waiter came back, pushing a small food cart. He then began laying the food in front of them. After a bow, the two were once again alone. Millard picked up his utensils and prompted the other to do the same.
 
“Let's talk about it after the meal. Don't worry the food is safe.” He smiled.
 
-o0o-
 
“That's what you get for being a huge bag of hot air!” Ryoko smirked, letting go of the controls.
 
He girls cheered while the boys tormented Calvin with insults. Ryoko gave a smug smile, grabbed a soda, and settled on the floor. In front of the TV, another set of players took over the controls and the noise started again. Not a minute later, the door opened and in poked the head of her friend's brother.
 
“Keep it down kids, you can do anything you want just don't wake up the neighbors.” He winked then closed the door.
“You really have a cool brother Nami-chan!” one of her classmates grinned.
 
Ryoko stared at her unopened soda can as memories rushed back, transporting her back to the time her family was complete.
 
“Kira…”
“Oi Ryo, a message.” Nami said, holding up her phone.
 
This broke her trance and she reached for the gadget but did not read the message straight away for it reminded her of a similar scenario…
 
“Yoji”
“Are you okay Ryo-chan?”
“Yup! But I have to go guys, my evening's complete after defeating Calin the jerk.” She grinned, gathering her things.
 
On the way home, she read the message which came from Sora saying she went out with Birman and will stay out late and that the house is entirely hers for the night. Ryoko sighed and decided to retrace her steps.
 
-o0o-
 
“About your question earlier. No. I don't want or need anything in return. Let's just say that I support your group.”
“Really?” Yuki asked with an arched eyebrow.
“Not entirely. But let's face it, we have people who are really above the law whose deeds deserve some punishment. I'm not saying that killing for that reason is right but it has to be done. Besides, your group hasn't been meddling with national affairs which is surprising for such an organization. I would like to assume that your leaders are influential men…”
“Well, we're not interested in those matters.”
“That's why I decided not to talk.”
“Your sincerity seems genuine Mr. Pitschurt but further reports from the field do not say so. May I ask sir, about your contacts in Japan?” the man stared, obviously surprised.
“What do you mean?”
“Since you've gone into our system, leakages about our operations started. We believe that the hackers ship information t another person or group. Plus, the Kritiker database in Japan is also being penetrated, the hackers being traced to be here. We think that both hackings are being simulated by only one entity. Whether individual or group we don't know, that's why I'm here.” Silence crept for a while before the man finally spoke.
“I don't know what you're talking about. Surely I've known that Kritiker is an international organization but my area of concern is only UK…” the girl watched him closely then sighed.
“We have a theory that the hackings are politically motivated. It may be used by both countries against each other thus, start a war. You and your family will make a state visit to Japan right? Something could happen during that visit. A disaster of some kind to you or your family and I believe that you've been receiving death threats recently. I need to know how you came across our database” The man laughed.
“Have you been going through my private mails and phone lines? It's part of life Miss Davies, but to answer your question, we need to go somewhere else…”
 
 
-o0o-
 
Yuki stood in front of Takaaki Daiemon's desk and had just finished delivering her report.
 
“Sir, Mr. Pitschurt seems innocent.” She added.
“Well that's good. I always knew he won't do a single thing. An admirable man…” the old leader smiled.
“Did he tell you who's behind everything?” Yuki nodded then gave the answer.
“An anonymous sender huh? Looks like things are getting harder…” the man said with a chuckle
“Sir, do you think it's wise for us to cooperate with him? What if it's a trap?” the ld man chuckled.
“I've been in this business for a long time Sachiel and Millard is not the kind of person who would pull such tricks. He might be cooperating for his own personal reasons but none of them would do harm to us.”
“It looks like you trust him a lot sir…” the man nodded
“And you should too…”
 
-o0o-
 
“Don't get me wrong Kudou. Having me here doesn't mean you can already hit on me.: Manx said as the two drove off in the blonde's Super Seven.
“I'm not so sure about that.” He smiled. Manx just rolled her eyes.
 
Minutes passed then turned to hours but the ride didn't stop. Yoji seemd to have no intention of a destination while Manx sat quietly beside him, taking in the night's scene.
“Hana…” Yoji finally said.
“Hn?”
“About what I told you last time… I…” he stopped as if thinking about what to say next.
“I'm sorry…” he continued making the woman look at him suddenly.
 
~ Flashback ~
 
“Kitada-san!” Manx turned and saw Corrine who had just entered the bar and sat beside her.
“Are you feeling well now?” she asked nonchalantly while the other nodded.
“Takatori-san was very kind.”
“Expect that from him, he likes to play knight sometimes.” The redhead said with a lopsided smile. Corrine laughed then ordered a drink.
“Is that why you're drawn to him?” Manx stared at the other woman.
“N-no, not really…”
“then I guess there's something more to him…” Corrine smirked.
 
Manx did not reply. Her mind had started to wander to another time, another person.
 
“So, how come you came to work with him Yusuke Takatori?”the other asked slyly.
“It's a long story…” came the answer.
“Isn't it hard to adjust, I mean, Shuichi-0san and Yusuke-san are different on every aspect…”
“It's not once you get the hang of it…” she said running her hand through her hair.
“I must've been drinking a lot already.” She thought as her brain started to function slower. Meanwhile, Corrine pushed another glass towards her.
“But who do you prefer?” Whose side are you really on?” she almost hissed.
“Mine of course!” Yoji said out loud, joining the two.
“My beautiful Hana wouldn't choose a guy who betrayed the family and was a disgrace to the people, a spineless coward, and someone could almost be her father…” Yoji smiled as he motioned to put an arm around Manx but stopped as a hand fell on his cheek in a loud slap. People around the bar now turned to them.
“Don't you dare talk about him like that!” Manx glared.
“Hana, you've had too much to drink, come on, let's head back to the room.” He said gently.
 
Manx was about to argue when finally the world dissolved into a blur of colors and she fell forward. Yoji, with his quick reflexes supported her then took a seideward glance at the glass on the table.
 
That's what all she remembered. The time she woke up, she found herself inside Hinagi Rachel's room, the woman saying that Yusuke brought her there and then elft abruptly. Instinct firing up, she made a grab for her phone and cursed as she wasn't able to reach the blonde.
 
“Hinagi-san, didn't he tell you where he was going?” her question received a negative answer which made her more irritated. Just when she was at the verge of stomping off, her phone rang.
 
“Manx, where in hell are you all this time and why ddi you switch off your phone?!?!?!” Birman demanded from the other line
 
In a few minutes, Manx had laid out what happened and Birman told her their findings. Too concerned about the mission, the fact that the Angels, Birman and Sora had planted a bug on them failed to distract her but she made a mental note of revenge just the same.
 
“Kitada-san where are you going?” Rachel asked.
“I lost a kitten!” she said, hurrying towards the door.
 
-o0o-
Omi and Aya-chan looked at each other as soon as the door of Yoji's apartment closed behind Ryoko. Aya-chan had come up together with the girl while Omi chanced to be just going out of his apartment when the two came.
 
“She seems upset.” Aya-chan remarked.
“Yeah. I wonder why”
“Kira.” Omi nodded in understanding
-o0o-
“ Thank you…” Morgaine said before hanging up.
“So what's the news? Folter asked, her eyes gleaming expectantly.
“Everyhting's going fine.” Came the reply
“Well that's good to hear. But when will we strike?”
“Soon enough Hecate…” their elader smirked.
“That's good.”
“Hey, have you guys seen Tod?” Folter asked looking around
-o0o-
 
“He's here again…” Todesursache said to herself as she watched Nagi.
“Always at the park.” she thought, her mind trailing off.
“This is where…” she remembered how they were able to capture Aya-chan and that the information came from Nagi himself.
“I wonder…”
“What are you doing there?”
 
The girl was taken aback but recovered easily. Once again the boy spoke,
 
“What do you want?” the girl took a deep breath then walked beside him.
“There are lots of people here, why do like this place?” she asked, trying to start a conversation.
“It's weird really, finding you here and all, but I guess you really like this placer despite all these people.”
 
Todesursache sighed as the boy remained silent. She looked down in defeat but then her eyes fell on Nagi's hand.
 
“What's that?” She inquired, Nagi immediately closed his fingers asround it.
“You always have it around don't you? What is it?” she asked smiling
“Nothing.” He said at last.
 
Nagi then turned around and walked while the girl watched silently. Before he was out of sight, she saw him put something around his neck.
 
“I wonder…” she said once again but was interrupted by a call.
“Hello?”
“Hey Tod where are you? When will you go back, it's late!” Folter said.
“I'm on my way, don't worry.” She smiled.
“Nagi-kun…”
-o0o-
 
“I really can't believe you've done this!” Vaughn muttered to himself for the umpteenth time.
“Stop mulling over it. We're already here and that's that!” Jelmereig rinned.
“She's right Vaughn besides, having them helps.” A woman chimed in then grinned to Jelmerie.
“Sorry to have you dragged all the way to Mexico just because of my spoiled brat of a sister.” Vaughn apologized to Ran who just shrugged.
“And you Nicole, stop siding with Jel!” he hollered to the woman.
 
Layer, both men were engaged in document review, profile checking and brainstorming while Nicole and Jelmerie chilled in front of the TV set.
 
“Hey Jel, mind if I switch to the sports channel?” Nicole said with an uncertain smile.
“Just go ahead, there's no problem with me.”
 
The remote switched hands and the program shifted too. While Nciole was absorbed to the program, Jelmerie took her time studying the woman beside her. A very pretty and mart agent dispatched together with his Vaughn. She's bubbly, active, and easy going which sometimes reminds her or Omi and Ryoko. But it's not her pretty face nor her personality that intrigues the girl, it's the fact that she'd been Vaughn's ex-girlfriend, something, she had known just recently.
 
“Uhm, Nicole, how long have you and my brother…” she started, thinking if she was asking the right question. Nicole turned to her and seemed to read her mind.
“Five years.” Jelmerie gaped at her.
“That long? But why…” Again she stopped, uncertain to ask. This time, Nicole tilted her head backwards and shouted to Vaughn.
“Vaughn. Your sister's asking why we broke up. Should I tell her it's because we skipped an important mission just to go out for ad ate?” Vaughn twitched while Ran stared at him.
“Shut up Nicole!” he shouted back. The woman grinned at Jelmerie.
“I'm going to turn in now. Just wake me if there are developments.” She said while stretching.
“Oh, I was just kidding with what I said Jel., Vaughn's dedicated to his work. We both are.” She winked yet Jelmerie felt that something's amiss.
 
-o0o-
 
Ryoko looked around the empty apartment, went into the room, opened the cupboards, and finally the fridge.
 
“This guy wants to die early!” she exclaimed upon seeing it full of beer cans.
“That stupid, good for nothing, blonde, Balinese kitten…” she hissed under her breath.
“Oh wait…” she grinned upon a sudden idea.
“Our beer party was busted last time, so maybe tonight…” she thought pulling out several beer cans and proceeded to opening one.
“Ugh… How in hell did he get into this stuff???” she choked after one sip.
“Yuck. Oh well, if he got used to it, maybe we will. Too bad Yuki and jel aren't here…” she sniggered, grabbing a handful of bottles and headed towards the door. But the door swung open even before she reached for the knob.
“What the…” she said.
“RYOKO TSUKISHIRO!!!!” Yoji shouted from the outside.
“Oooopppppssss…”
“What the heck are you doing with those!?!?!?!” the blonde glared eyeing the beer cans.
“Hey this one's open… Don't tell me…” he said through gritted teeth.
“What's happening?” Aya-chan said peering out of her door. A second later, Omi's room opened and out came the boy with the same question.
“A little misunderstanding.” Manx smiled.
-o0o-
“Not going to rest?” Vauhgn smiled as he passed Ran who was still bust with the computer.
“Maybe later.”
“Hey, thanks for accompanying my sister here. By the way, do you know of any guy named Shin?” Ran stopped for a moment and stared at Vaughn.
“I heard her talking about him with Nicole…” Ran sighed and told him everything, at least everything he knew.
“Is that so…”
“Vaughn…”
“Aren't you worried about her? I mean, getting involved with Shin…” Vaughn smiled at him.
“Not really. As long as the guy is okay and I know that he won't hurt my sister, it's fine with me.”
“But she's an assassin, the same as you. You know we're not free to do everything and besides, people might run after them.” The redhead retorted.
“Yes. But who knows, maybe he can pull her out of this life, or maybe he could just be her reason to fight and live. If she'll be happy, it's fine by me.”
 
Long after Vaughn had lef6, Ran was still thinking about what he said. A little while later, he heaved a deep breath and smiled.
 
“Maybe they're right, maybe I should stop fussing now.”
 
-o0o-
 
“What are you doing here anyway?” Yoji asked after a round of bickering with Ruoko.
“Nothing.” Came her answer.
“You know I don't believe in you “Nothing” right?”
“Hmph. I'll be going now.” Ryoko rolled her eyes and made her way out of the apartment.
 
-o0o-
 
“I see.” Millard nodded after Yuki told him of the developments in their case.
“At the party.”
“Yes. Making an attack now might make you think that we are the ones responsible.
“So they already know?”
“It's not yet sure but it's safer to assume that.”
“Secretly round up your bodyguards, I'll give you a plan of the place with the excape route highlighted. Once their lookouts are down, you can escape.”
“Any loss of communication will alert them you know.” He smiled.
“That's why the power will go out shortly after that. What do you think is the map for?” she grinned back.
“That's a good plan but leave those part to us. I'll have you meet my bodyguards later so we can talk things. I have another plan.”
“And what is that may I ask?”
“We'll try to find out who is behind it all…”
 
-o0o-
 
“Ryo, Ryo wake up…” Sora gently said as she nudged the girl.
“S-Sora? What time is it?”
“Six. Wake up now Ryo-chan”
“Why? It's too early for school…” she yawned, getting up.
“You're not going to school today Ryo, we have to go somewhere.” This time, wide awake, Ryoko noticed how tired Sora looked.
“Eh? What's wrong?”
“It's Yoji…”
 
-o0o-
People looked at the pair as Millard and Yuki enetered the ballroom. Everyone threw questioning and astonished looks at the girl as she held on to the man's arm. Yuki smiled sweetly at everyone, loving the reaction from the people around.
 
“Who is the young lady Mr. Pitschurt?” a man asked.
“Miss Ma---“ but Yuki cut him off.
“Eunice Ashcroft.” She smiled sweetly.
“She is a relative of my wife.” Millard added.
 
Millard proceeded to introduce her to as many people as possible, telling her of their status and achievements, and adding some private information while they are out of earshot.
 
“Any one of them can be the mastermind.” He whispered.
“Yes. But it's hard to pinpoint who.”
-o0o-
 
“You jerk, you really want to die early don't you?!?!?!” Ryoko shouted as she sat beside the sleeping Yoji.
“Getting in an accident like that isn't like you at all. You're really stupid!!!!” she continued as tears fell from her eyes.
 
 
It turned out that Yoji accompanied Manx home the previous night and got into an accident. He managed to survive with a few concussions and fractures. Sora and Manx watched him over and Sora then went home to take the girl to see him.
 
“I--- I didn't even apologize for what I did last night. I didn't say good bye when I left…” she said sobbing.
“If something happened to you I won't forgive myself. I was there, I should've stayed…”
“Stop crying Ryoko…” the voice was weak but it was enough to make Ryo stop.
“I'm actually glad you weren't there because now you're safe, and don't be too hard on yourself Ryo-chan, it takes more than a drunk driver and his SUV to finish me off. But next time, do say good bye before you leave, I will truly appreciate it if you do that.” He smiled. Ryoko nodded and embraced hi tight, making him yelp as his injuries were brushed.
“Don't leave me, promise me you'll never leave…” she said
“I will never leave you, I promise.” He said gently stroking her hair.
“I---I love you, Yojinii-san…”
-o0o-
Yuki watched the man as they silently sat throughout the ride. The words of her superior flashed back into her memory. Yuki snuck sideward glances at the man, as if trying to read him.
 
“Mr. Takaaki trusts him… I wonder why…”
“Miss Davies…” Millard said suddenly. Yuki turned to him.
“Will it be okay if I invite you to dinner with my family? I want you to meet them ad besides, we can discuss our plan further.” He smiled.
 
-o0o-
 
At the moment he saw Aya-chan's face, Nagi was sure something's wrong.
 
“Good morning Nagi-kun.” She greeted with a small, forced smile. The boy nodded
“It's been a very long morning for me. And you?”
“I'm fine today…” Nobody talked for a few minutes, they just sat there, looking at the people passing by.
“Aya-chan…” he finally managed to say.
“Is there something wrong?” he asked softly. Aya-chan looked at him hesitantly.
“Sorry…” he said later.
“No… Sorry bout that… Well, there are some minor things but everything will be fine.” She smiled. Once more the conversation stopped and they resumed to their ponderings.
“Aya-chan…” he said, standing up.
“Let's go somewhere else…” he said extending a hand to her.
-o0o-
 
“Hello!!!” a three-year old boy grinned.
“Uh… hi…” she answered back.
“Daddy will be coming down in a minute, please wait a little more.” He said as he sat beside her.
“I'm Quincey…” he added offering his hand.
“Madison.” Yuki replied, shaking it.
“From where are you Miss Madison?” he asked.
“Uhm… Japan.”
“Really? You know, we will be going there soon. Me, and daddy and mummy, and grandpa, and Uncle Lowell and his friends! We will be meeting with a lot of people and Uncle Lowell promised to tour me around the place!!!”
“Well that's good!”
“Will you be joining us? You should know where the beautiful places are!!! Are you going to be our guide???” he asked expectantly
“No. I'm afraid not Quincey-chan.”
“'Chan'?” The boy blinked, obviously not knowing what the word meant.Yuki found herself answering a barrage of questions about Japan.
“Ken I need you here, where in hell are you…” she stopped at the thought.
“Miss Madison?” Quincey asked
“Quincey, there you are!” A woman said as she entered the room. Yuki bowed her head in acknowledgement.
“He's a really active kid. Sorry if he's bothering you.” The woman smiled.
“No, it's okay Mrs. Pitschurt.”
“Please wait a little more for my husband, an unexpected business call came up but he'll be on his way soon.” Yuki nodded and soon, mother and child disappeared from the room, leaving her to her thoughts
“I wish you're here…” she whispered softly.
“Miss Madison!!!” Yuki looked up and saw Quincey running towards her, holding a flower in one hand.
“You look sad so I brought this for you. It's from mum's garden. She said it's okay if I give one to you…” Yuki stared at it for a while.
“It's so pretty Quincey-chan, thanks a lot.” She smiled.
“Well, I guess you're here with me…” she thought.
-o0o-
 
Aya-chan smiled as she and Nagi went back to the park. They didn't go anywhere and did anything in particular, they just roamed around the city and never did they said anything during that time.
 
“Thanks. I feel good now.” She smiled.
“If I can be of any help…” he said
-o0o-
Yuki started sorting out the papers in front of her as a few more papers came out of the printer. She studied the pages carefully then stopped as she thought about her new mission.
 
~ Flashback ~
 
“So it's your brother…” Yuki said after hearing Millard's story.
“He and his friends. I got the information a several days ago…”
“And that's when you penetrated the system?” Millard shook his head.
“I didn't. I've been hearing things about your group already. Only when my delinquent little brother started doing it did I believe the story. But everything I told you during our first meeting is true…” Yukie raised an eyebrow but inside her mind, the words of her superior resounded.
“Mr. Takaaki trusts this man…” she thought.
“What do you plan then?”
“I need your help to find out who's behind everything. I have a hunch my brother and his friends are being used.” Yuki thought for a moment.
“Okay sir, I'll help you out. But I won't be ruling out your brother or his friends yet…”
 
~ End of Flashback ~
 
The phone's rings prompted the girl to leave the papers and attend to the caller.
 
“Someone at the office left Miss Madison Davies a message” a female voice said which Yuki recognized as Mr. Takaaki's secretary.
“This is Madison speaking. What does it say?”
“Permission for your request had been granted.” Yuki was silent for a while
“Thank you. Please tell the management the business trip won't take long.”
-o0o-
Omi stared at the flowers in the shop, his mind wandering silently. Everything about him seems different, and yet the moment Sora entered the shop, the shine in his eyes returned and his frown was replaced by a smile.
 
“Hi Mitchii! How's the shop going?” Sora smiled after receiving a warm greeting from the boy
“I just came back but Ryo said everything's fine.”
“Well that's good. I'll just go down to the basement and then help you okay?” Omi nodded with a smile but as soon as Sora was out of sight, his face fell once more.
“Why…” he said to himself.
“Aya-chan…”
-o0o-
 
Ryoko went to help in the shop the following day. Despite being tired from school, and visiting Yoji, she chose to spend the time in the shop rather than with her thoughts at home. Sill trying to struggle from the drowsiness creeping into her system, she managed to open the door. Inside she saw Omi, the boy had his back turned to her and was half kneeling on the floor, looking at a potted flower.
 
“Mit~chiiii!!!!!!” she squealed, throwing herself on him, making the boy yelp.
“Ryoko???” Omi said as he emerged from the back room, holding a boquet.
“Eh???” With this, Ryoko immediately stood up and saw that the boy whom she mistook for Omi is older, has longer hair, smaller eyes, and TALLER.
“Uhmm… Sorry…” she muttered looking at the floor beneath her.
“It's okay.” The boy smiled, ruffling her hair.
“What the hell happened to you!?!?!?!” Omi asked when their customer left the shop.
“I thought he was you!” she whined.
“We're different…” he pointed out
“In all aspects…” he added.
“Awww…. Stop hammering it Mimi!!!” Ryoko glared, marching to a corner wile Omi laughed.
“Ne, you okay Mimi?” Ryoko asked as she noticed his sudden change.
“Huh? Yeah! Of course I'm okay!” he said, flashing her a wide smile.
“Are you sure?” The boy nodded.
“Of course I'm okay…” he muttered to himself, still thinking about his discovery.
“I guess…”
-o0o-
 
“So?” came the greeting the brunette boy got as he entered the car. It came from another boy, with oriental features that countered his European face. He was at the driver's seat, hands still on the steering wheel.
“So what Chen?” he shot back with a sheepish grin. He placed the bouquet on the seat beside him and faced his two friends.
“Is it them?”
“ I saw only one, but I'm positive we've got them.” He answered.
“Good. I'll let Lowell know…” said, starting the car.
“You know your Jel is one of them too right?” Chen added, looking sideways at the boy sitting beside him.
“I know, and yet…” Shin said, looking out the window.
 
-o0o-
 
“Mr. Pitschurt, Mr. Wu, Mr. Brigham, and Mr. Windsor have already left for Japan. By now they must be doing their investigations already.” Yuki said as she reported in front of Millard.
“That's bad. You should alert your friends there Miss Yuki but don't reveal their identity yet if you please.”
“Yes sir. I'll do it as soon as possible.” She said then prepared to leave.
“Miss Yuki…” he called again
“ I'm sorry you had to quit your group, I haven't been thinking when I let you be seen in the public.”
“It's nothing sir. Besides, I can go back whenever I want. I just don't want an unnecessary exposure for our organization.” She smiled.
 
The girl immediately went to the garden after her meeting. Millard's house will be her sanctuary for as long as her mission isn't finished and she took the liberty of hanging around with the only thing that is familiar to her.
 
“Aunt Yuki!!!” Quincey said skipping towards her.
“Good morning! Won't be going to school today?” she smiled.
“Nope. It's a school holiday.”
“What are you doing here?”
“Me? Nothing, just thinking things. I love it here since it's peaceful.” She smiled.
“Me too, but I also love the flowers. See here…” he said, holding a failair flower in front of her.
“This is what you gave me when we first met right?” Yuki smiled.
“Yup! It's uhmm…” the little boy stopped, thinking about what to say.
“I forgot…” he grinned sheepishly.
“It's a Gladiolus, also called Sword Lily” The boy's mouth was agape after this.
“Well, I have friends at a flower shop back in Tokyo.” She explained, loving his reaction.
“Can we go and visit them?” he asked. Yuki answered with a nod. When the boy left, Yuki was left alone with her thoughts.
“Shin is one of them. Did he became close to Jel because he knew she's an assassin? Who is Lowell Pitschurt, the boy who managed to get Britain's most promising young men to hack Kritiker, and who is behind it all?”
 
-o0o-
 
“Tell me again…” Nicole giggled as Jelmerie told her about Shin
“No way! I wont!” she retorted.
“You like him don't you?” Nicole smirked. Jel rolled her eyes
“Don't deny it little sis, I know it…”
“I don't!”
“Imagine, you're close to Shin Windsor-“ Jelmerie cute her off quickly
“It's only natural! They're a family friend” she added In defense.
“But you like him!” Nicole laughed.
“I don't!”
“but you just admitted that you miss him didn't you?!” Jelmerie blushed.
“See!!!! Wait til Vaughn hears about this.”
“Wait, Nicole… Is it okay, me liking him and all? I mean, aren't we supposed to be assassins?”
“of course it's alright. What do you thin k about me and Vaughn? We breaking up doesn't mean it's the end already. Of course we'd like to be together one day. So it's okay, Lady Jelmerie.” She grinned.
-o0o-
 
“Dammit… What bad news…” Ryoko muttered as she placed the receiver back. Yuki had just called her and warned her about spies who might be watching them.
“Frist that blockhead blonde got into an accident, next, Sora goes off to train Aya-chan leaving me here, and last, a blackout. Great! Just great!” she muttered as she made her way through the candle light. As she passed the life size mirror in her room, she stopped and thought about what she heard from a classmate.
 
~ Flashback ~
“They say you can see your future husband!”
 
~ End of Flashback ~
 
“Stupid superstition.” She muttered as she stared at herself.
“What the hell am I doing???” she muttered after a few seconds of staring at her reflection and shook her head.
“Really now I should be going to slee---” she wasn't able to finish her sentence as she saw another reflection.
“Hell it can't be…” she said and turned around.
 
-o0o-
A/N: Nope I'm not dead…. Yet. But school is doing its best into trying to kill me. Sorry for the hiatus but I really can't help it. Hope you like this chap. :D