Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Blood and Cigarettes ❯ Blood and Cigarettes ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Weiss Kreuz.

Summary: After getting into a fight with Aya, Yoji realizes just how much he had pushed everyone during his own self-pity and depression.

Blood and Cigarettes

The lingering smell.

A dense cloud of smoke.

Cigarettes.

Aya wrinkled his nose in disgust as he walked upstairs to his room to grab a clean set of clothes and then take a shower. The further up he went, the stronger the smell and the thicker the cloud of smoke. He almost gagged as he hurried into his room and slammed the door. Yes, he was used to Yoji smoking but not when the older man was held up in his room, smoking some twenty-odd packs - coupled with alcohol - while he was in a serious bout of depression and self-pity.

It was even worse now, since Yoji had been up in his room for three days.

Aya sighed inwardly and gathered up a pair of jeans and a cream-colored sweater before heading into the bathroom and turning the shower on.

<XXXXX>

Yoji placed his last cigarette butt in the ashtray and stood up. His room was littered with liquor bottles and empty cigarette cartons. He heard the shower turn on and gave a small frown. The redhead was on a warpath. He could hear Aya's reprimands already.

It had been the same thing for three nights in a row.

Yoji crossed over to the window and opened it, letting the frosty air filter into his room. He hadn't been cooperative for nearly a week, each of his other teammates having put up with his bullshit and his laziness.

It was nothing new.

Still, he couldn't help feeling like he was just another sorry excuse for this assassination game to continue. Leaning against the sill, he drew in a deep breath before entering a coughing fit.

<XXXXX>

Omi winced as the shower stopped and the door to the bathroom slammed shut. He tried to remain focused on typing up the mission report but hearing Aya shout at Yoji was the perfect distraction. The yelling hadn't started yet but it was just a matter of time.

Omi was already counting.

One.

Two.

Three.

Sure enough, as soon as he got to three, the redhead's voice was speaking through a closed and locked door. Ken looked up from the soccer game on television.

"How long do you think it will take Aya to finally get Yoji off of his ass?"

Omi gazed over at Ken, temporarily taking his eyes off of the computer. The athlete was being serious for once.

"I think tonight's the last night. Aya's been seething all afternoon and on the mission. He speaks even less than usual."

They glanced at the stairs as they heard the door to Yoji's room being kicked open.

<XXXXX>

Aya knocked on the door, for once keeping his anger in check. The blond was refusing to open the door. The stench of cigarettes was slowly simmering from the room. Aya's frown deepened. He banged on the door, his voice easily filtering through the wood of the door.

"Yoji, open the damn door." There was a muffled response as a whiskey bottle slammed into the door. "Yoji, you better open this fucking door." He heard Yoji's words clearly.

"Go to fucking hell, Aya. I'm not putting up with this shit."

Aya's lavender eyes narrowed into dangerous slits. His foot swung out and, with full force, he kicked the door in.

<XXXXX>

Yoji turned around just as the door swung in and crashed into the wall. His hands balled into fists and he stormed angrily over to Aya. He threw a punch. His wrist was easily caught and he felt his back hit the hallway wall as Aya rammed him into it. Angry violet eyes glared at him. Yoji attempted to kick out and found himself hitting the wall again.

"I'm tired of putting up with your bullshit, Yoji."

Yoji felt himself being dragged to the kitchen. He lashed out, managing to catch Aya in the leg and causing the younger man to stumble slightly. The stairs loomed ahead of them. He struck again and his foot crashed into Aya's shin, successfully knocking the man off of his feet. The redhead slipped down the stairs, landing in an inelegant heap on the floor. Yoji carefully walked down the steps.

He watched as Aya slowly and carefully got to his feet, shooting Yoji a loathing glare. The blond didn't know what hit him until a fist slammed into his chin and sent him spiraling down the rest of the stairs. He didn't have a chance to get up before Aya jumped on top of him, pinning him to the wooden floor. Green eyes opened to acknowledge the redhead and saw the stream of blood pouring from Aya's cheek, lip and temple.

"Aya, you're bleeding."

The redhead didn't seem to hear him. Another punch landed against Yoji's cheek, sending his vision on the verge of darkness. Distantly, he heard Omi's voice yelling at Aya to stop. Weiss's leader didn't seem to want to stop. The voices faded away and he blacked out.

<XXXXX>

Yoji looked up to the sky and frowned. The day was gloomy and dark, despite the fact that it was almost noon. There was no one in the store. Well, on one except Aya. The redhead was busy brooding and working on floral arrangements. Yoji walked over to him and rested his hip against the workbench. Aya glared at him and went back to work.

"What do you want, Yoji?" The blond folded his arms over his chest.

"I was just thinking, Aya." He looked around. "Do you even know why we do this? Assassinate people?"

Aya's hands fumbled with a piece of ribbon before the younger man stood up and face Yoji. Yoji held his breath, not knowing what the redhead was going to do. Aya walked passed him and turned the 'open' sign to 'close'.

"Don't think so much, Yoji. It isn't you." Yoji stared dumbly at the redhead before following after him, realizing that the cold, brooding one had just cracked a dry joke.

"Did you just manage a joke, Aya? Now that isn't you. You're never funny." Aya ignored him until they reached the roof. He turned to the blond.

"I do this for my sister, Yoji. Why do you do this? Is it because you have nothing else?" Aya tore his eyes away from the older man and looked over the city. "Is it because of Asuka?"

Yoji choked on the air he was just trying to breathe in. He glanced warily at Aya, wondering what the man was getting to. Aya wasn't acting normal. He hardly ever said more that five words to him during the day and most of the times on missions. Why was he suddenly opening up now?

"Maybe. I'm not sure anymore, Aya. I want to leave but I know I'll never be able to. Not with Kritiker the way they are." He saw Aya look back at him. "Would you quit this if you had the chance to?" He saw Aya shrug.

Weiss's leader didn't have an answer for once.

"If my sister was awake..."

<XXXXX>

Yoji jerked awake, gasping for air. He felt gentle hands push him back down. His eyes opened and he saw Omi looking over him. He sat up and felt a sharp pain in his side. He heard Omi reprimand him about something but he couldn't understand the words. He was pushed back down on the bed.

"Yoji, don't get up. Your ribs aren't in good shape." Yoji made a small sound of displeasure but remained still. His throat felt dry but he still managed to ask one question.

"What happened to Aya?"

Omi shook his head, blue eyes glancing quickly at the door. Ken had obviously made sure that Aya hadn't left his room. He looked back at Yoji and frowned. The older blond was just lucky that Aya hadn't broken more than just two ribs.

"We had to knock him out, Yoji. He started attacking Ken. I don't know if he's awake yet." Yoji felt the younger blond's blue eyes gaze into his. "You've pushed almost all of us to the edge Yoji. Just get better soon."

Footsteps faded into his memory. The door opened and closed. Yoji groaned as he stood up and took a look around. It was nighttime. The moon was out.

Was he really pushing everyone to edge?

<XXXXX>

Yoji climbed onto the roof and gazed over the city. He remembered the conversation he had had with Aya less than a month ago. Questions filled his mind. The same questions he had asked Aya.

Why was he an assassin?

Was it because of Asuka?

Would he quit if he had a chance?

Did he really want to leave his friends behind?

Did he want to make the same mistake he had made years ago?

Shaking his head, he turned around as the door to the roof open. Aya was standing in the doorway. He looked exhausted. Bruises covered the left side of his face, showing harshly against the pale skin. A few bandages covered the cuts that had marred the skin earlier. The redhead was staring dead at him, his lavender eyes void of all emotion.

"Have you figured out why you do this?"

The question hung strangely in the air. Yoji took a few steps forward.

"For Asuka."

He saw Aya nod. The redhead left, not looking back. Yoji watched in silence, slowly following the younger man down the stairs to the kitchen for supper. He grabbed the younger man's shoulder and stopped him before Ken and Omi noticed them.

"Was I really pushing everyone so far?" Aya glared at him. He opened his mouth to apologize. Aya put his hand up.

"Shut up, Yoji. Apologies don't suit you." Aya walked off without another word. Yoji let a smile crawl across his face. Aya was warming up to his newfound friends, even though it took a good number of years in Weiss to get him that way.

"I swear, Aya, you're changing so quickly. All you need now is a girl."

Yoji hurried into the kitchen before Ken ate all of the food Omi had prepared. Now wasn't the time to hate everything anymore.