Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Commissioner ❯ Investigations and Anime ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Weiss Kreuz is owned by some pretty spiffy people in Japan, one of them being its rather talented singer and seiyuu, Koyasu, who also created it. As I have never met Koyasu-sama (though a friend owns the coat he wore in the Gluhen Concert… the white one! It's in her closet.) I can't possibly own Weiss Kreuz.
 
Warning: shonen ai… slight OOC
 
Pairings: Nami/Ogi, ken/schuldig, Ran/OC (past relationship), ran/yotan (future)
 
Summary: Nine years after he left, Ran returns to Japan to become police commissioner under Mamoru. The world as he knew has changed so much…. How will he cope? This chapter: YOTAN'S ENTRANCE! *laughs gleefully*
 
^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^ ~^~^~^
 
He was woken the next morning by a gentle shake to his shoulder, followed by a “Fujimiya-san? It's morning.” He sat up slowly, looking to see Kenshin.
 
“Good morning Kenshin. What time is it?” The older man smiled, turning toward the wardrobe.
 
“It's approaching seven, Fujimiya-san. Would you like me to choose your clothes for you?” Ran made an assenting sound, standing and heading to the bathroom. When he came out, a suit was laying across the bed, and Kenshin was nowhere in sight. He dressed, and pulled a comb through his shoulder-length hair, the odd style long gone. He pulled it back loosely, grabbing his phone before going into the parlor. Kenshin was waiting, a smile on his face.
 
“What's the schedule today, Kenshin?”
 
“You are to meet the Prime Minister for breakfast, and then you will sit in on a session of Parliament, to be introduced, and after that, the day is yours, sir.” Ran nodded, picking another rose, a dark red one, and breaking the stem expertly, causing the servant to wince.
 
“Don't worry. I know what I'm doing.” He casually slipped the roe into the button hole on his lapel, and then turning to the mirror. The rose was the exact color as his hair. “How do I look, Kenshin?”
 
“Very good, Fujimiya-san. Shall we go?” Ran nodded, snatching the wine and chocolates he'd brought from a table near the door. When they reached the dining room, he handed the chocolates to Mamoru and the wine to Nagi, who both looked at him strangely.
 
“I forgot to give you these last night.” Then he realized there was another person sitting at the table. “Yoji.” The blonde man looked up at him, shock written across his face.
 
“We didn't exactly tell him you were here,” Mamoru explained as ran took a seat across from Yoji.
 
“Smart of you, Mamoru-kun. Good morning, Yoji-kun.” The other man finally nodded, and then grinned.
 
“Good morning, Ran-kun.” Ran looked at him for a moment, and then realized that besides being a private investigator, Yoji was also a hacker, and above all, friends with Ken Hidaka.
 
“How've you been?”
 
“Good. So you're my new boss?”
 
“I suppose so.” Ran started to eat, seemingly oblivious to the fact that Yoji was staring at him. He heard a grunt, and realized that Yoji had been kicked by Mamoru, who was sitting closest to him.
 
“So, Ran, have you called him back yet?” Nagi asked, and Ran flinched, before continuing the motion of bringing his coffee cup to his mouth.
 
“We talked last night. Thank you for thinking of my comfort. He told me.” He put the cup down and fiddled with his eggs. “We've gone our separate ways, for good it seems.” He knew that Mamoru, being a Sensitive, not strong enough to be called anything but that, would feel the raw emotion in that statement, but it was Yoji who spoke.
 
“He meant an awful lot to you, to leave him like that.”
 
“Nine years creates a bond hard to break without pain,” Mamoru said softly, yet firmly, reprimanding the older man for his callous words. Ran smiled, looking up.
 
“It does indeed, but three years in crisis creates a bond even stronger.” Yoji grinned at that, and held up a hand. Ran did the one thing he thought he'd never do, so long ago, in those days that everything hurt except the oblivion. He grasped it with a large smile, larger than he'd shown here. Yoji seemed to understand, and squeezed his hand before letting go. Mamoru, on the other hand… “What?”
 
“You… you touched Yoji… willingly and without intent to harm! Who are you and where did Aya Fujimiya go?!” His eyes darkened, and he sighed.
 
“Aya Fujimiya died. With her went Aya. There is only Ran now. Also, nine years does wonders on a torn heart.” Nagi touched Mamoru's hand, and looked pointedly at his watch.
 
“Oh heavens! If we don't leave now, we'll be late! Yoji, get some more rest, do you hear me? You haven't slept except for last night in three weeks! Come on, Ran-kun. Time to meet the lions.” Ran stood and nodded to Yoji, who just grinned, following the other two out the door. Kenshin fell into step beside him, and he felt a faint appreciation for the man.
 
When they reached the Parliament building, Kenshin and Nagi fussed with both of their ties, and Kenshin broke away at the door.
 
“I'm not supposed to go in there,” was his explanation, delivered in a low whisper, as Ran was gently propelled forward by Nagi, who seemed to serve a double purpose; Chief Aide and Bodyguard to the Prime Minister, as well as a representative for Ran. The room was filled with members of Parliament, most of them new since Ran had last been in Japan, obviously chosen for their intelligence. He recognized a few people from University, and guessed that they recognized him, based on the stares he got. But that could be because of his coloring.
 
“Good morning. I called this session to introduce to a candidate for Police Commissioner. This is Ran Fujimiya. He was a highly ranked officer in the Geneva police bureau, and he turned down the position of Commandant there to come here.” Ran bowed fluidly, the old actions coming back.
 
The rest of the members looked at him for a few moments, then a hand raised in question, followed by others.
 
“Noritaki-san has the floor.”
 
“Fujimiya-san, what was your official rank in the Geneva Bureau?”
 
“Senior Commander Under the Commandant, Second-in-Command. I'd held the position for two years.” Another member was called upon.
 
“Why did you turn down the Commandant position?”
 
“Japan is my home. I had political connections here long before I entered Switzerland. When I was offered the position here, I accepted immediately. Partly because of my own convictions, and partly because when Takatori-sama asks, you simply can't refuse.” This made the entire room laugh, and after that, most hands went down. There were the usual nasty characters, asking him questions far too personal for an official meeting, which he simply ignored, a faintly disappointed expression on his face when the questions got particularly stupid.
 
Finally, Mamoru called a halt to the questions, and set a vote for the next week. The parliament members left with a dull roar, all of their murmurings giving him a headache. He rubbed his temples self-consciously; he'd never liked political trappings of any kind, and this was worse than he'd seen in a long time.
 
“Nagi and I have a business luncheon to attend, but Kenshin can accompany you back to the House if you don't want to come.”
 
“I would like to get back there. I think I should look for a new house here, because as much as I'm your friend, I'll not live with you.”
 
“Of course. You can have Kenshin begin the search, or start it yourself. I never expected you to stay with us.” Mamoru smiled, and the limo pulled up in front of the House. Ran got out, followed by Kenshin. The door closed, and the limo pulled away, leaving the two men alone on the steps. The front doors opened, and Yoji stood there, dressed in a respectable suit of dark green, a bright cattleya orchid in his button-hole.
 
“Fujimiya-san, I was wondering if I could ask you some questions.” Ran nodded, and dismissed Kenshin when he reached the doors.
 
“I'll start the search myself. How many were you thinking on gathering?”
 
“Only three, Fujimiya-san, a cook and two maids.”
 
“Good. That gives me an idea of how many rooms to look for. You wanted to speak with me, Kudou?” He felt the mantle of Police Commissioner slipping on with little effort, even though he wasn't holding the title officially. When the Prime minister wanted someone on his cabinet, there was little point in arguing.
 
“Yes, sir. If you'll follow me?” Yoji deftly led him to a small study on the same floor as Mamoru's, with a wall of windows covered in a series of roman shades. Yoji raised them all halfway, and took a seat in front of the large desk on another wall. Ran settled into the chair behind the desk, wondering why this felt so right.
 
“Speak on, Kudou.”
 
“I know you aren't Commissioner in fact yet, but I thought I'd go ahead and fill you in on the situation here, and what has and hasn't been done to correct mistakes.” He placed the manila folder he held in front of Ran, then sat back. “Those are the pertinent files in the prosecution of the former Commissioner, which I thought would be a good place to start, as most of the mistakes are detailed inside.”
 
“That's good.” He chanced a glance at the clock hanging on the wall, and reached for his remote, calling Kenshin. A few minutes later, the servant arrived, and stood respectfully near the door. “Kenshin, I want lunch brought in here, if that's possible. And if it isn't, I want the dining room I ate in before prepared.” Kenshin bowed.
 
“Eating here is permitted, Fujimiya-san, though Noriko-san frowns on it. Lunch for two?”
 
“Yes.” He knew better than to ask the man to join them. They would be discussing things best left unheard, and besides, it just wasn't done. Yoji, as Chief Aide, was able to eat with him because he wasn't a servant, but he wouldn't eat with him unless invited.
 
“I shall return soon.” When he left, Ran opened the folder.
 
“I hope I wasn't presuming?” he asked, and Yoji shook his head, political persona firmly in place. Ran wondered where the womanizing playboy had gone for a moment, before he realized that they had all grown up.
 
“Not at all. I was getting hungry, myself.” Which Ran knew meant that he would have starved before asking for food in the roles they both played. He nodded, a smile playing on his lips, dying as he concentrated on the file before him. At one point, Kenshin returned with a tray and they moved over to a table on the window wall, but he hardly gave a glance to what he was eating.
 
“this dealing, here, in August of last year, you knew nothing of it before it went down and sour?” he asked absently, not really concerned with the answer. He wanted to know how thoroughly Yoji had studied the contents of the folder.
 
“No, not until I started hearing whispers from one of the cartels of a bad job getting worse. I looked into it, and that's what came up.” Ran wasn't remotely surprised that the blonde had contacts with cartels and yakuza. He himself had contacts in such places; it was bad politics not to. Know thine enemy and all that.
 
“Good.” He continued to read, wondering how Yoshiro had lasted the four years he'd been Commissioner. Yoji had been Chief Aide for only two of those years, but this investigation stretched back to Yoshi's political infancy, under the original regime of Takatoris. Yoji was great at what he'd been trained to do, he'd give him that.
 
“Why wasn't all of this discovered before?”
 
“Takatori-sama was firming his own opposition. He had no time to deal with such things until a few months ago. I've been conducting the investigation for the last three years, however, after the incident in Kyoto.” The incident was the first report, a scandal that even Ran had heard about in Geneva; things like that got passed along in law enforcement.
 
“Good. At least the information was fresh.” They finished the meal in silence, and then Ran went over to the desk again. “Are there keys for this desk?” Yoji produced a set.
 
“This was my base of operations for the investigation. No one will come in here, not even a maid. But it never hurts to be careful. This will be your office until you get elected, and anything you want hidden can go here.”
 
“Good to know.” He placed the folder in the drawer, and locked the entire desk, pocketing the keys. He saw Yoji's eyes tighten briefly before the easy placidity was back. “You'll have full access to this room. You need only ask.” He knew Yoji understood what he really meant. `Now that I'm in charge, you go through me. I'll know when you're doing anything in here.' Yoji bowed respectfully.
 
“Fujimiya-san, that's all I had to discuss with you.”
 
“Very well then. Is there a tv anywhere in this place?” he shed the Commissioner as easily as he'd donned it, and saw the glimmer return to Yoji's eyes.
 
“Depends on what you want to do.”
 
“I was thinking of a movie. I've been out of the loop for awhile, you see.” Yoji grinned, leading him out of the room, opening his phone.
 
“Kenshin? If Fujimiya-san calls for you, we're in the Entertainment Room. You're welcome.” He hung up, and then turned so he was walking backwards, a habit that would have annoyed Ran not three years before.
 
“What movie will I be subjected to?”
 
“I need to get you caught up on your anime, my friend.” Ran's anime experience had ended a long time before.
 
“The last anime I saw was Escaflowne, I think.” Yoji waited until they were in the room before hooting in laughter.
 
“Then I have to introduce you to Gundam Wing. It's for your own good.” Ran had heard of the popular show, had seen posters of the OVA. The characters were a bit too pretty for his tastes, but the storyline sounded okay, from what he'd heard.
 
“Alright.” The next few hours had him ensconced on a beanbag, jacket and tie gone, slippers toed off some time before. He was fascinated by the interplay of politics and honor, along with a healthy dose of war. He was up to Episode 9 now, and it was only getting better.
 
“Ahem.” He jerked, looking to the door to see Mamoru and Nagi, both dressed in lounging clothes, staring at him. Nagi was obviously holding a smile at bay, while Mamoru's humor was evident.
 
“Oh, hello. Sorry, I don't think I can get up at the moment to greet you properly,” he said softly. Yoji was sprawled across two beanbags, and even then, he was tall enough that his head was cushioned by Ran's legs. He'd fallen asleep around Episode two, and Ran admired his earlier insistence of showing him the investigation.
 
“I wouldn't expect you to. I see he's got you hooked on GW.”
 
“You could say that. The boys are still too pretty, but their apparent histories and the struggle is amusing.” He knew they'd understand what he meant by that.
 
“Anyway, we wanted to know if you were hungry or anything, but it seems you're fine.” Ran had a bag of baked potato chips open next to him, and a large bottle of cola. There were the remains of a veggie plate as well.
 
“Yes, I am. Kenshin told you where I was.”
 
“Yeah. When we're finished eating, can we join you?”
 
“It's your house, Mamoru-kun.”
 
“Yes, but you're our guest. I think Ken and Schuldig are coming this weekend. They're due for a visit anyway.”
 
“Good, I wondered how Ken was. He stopped writing about four years ago.”
 
“That's when his therapy ended. At least officially. I have the feeling that he still fights his problems, but Schuldig helps a lot.”
 
“I suppose he would. You can join me once you've eaten. I shouldn't wake him up, or I'd go with you for the company.” An explosion on-screen caught his attention, and he swore; he'd missed something. He heard amused snickering before the door closed, and he scowled as he pieced together what had happened. Soon enough, he'd caught up, and settled back to watch more.
 
Yoji stirred when Mamoru and Nagi returned, yawning and scratching his head as he moved back onto his own beanbags, showing no embarrassment, if he even felt any. “How long have I been asleep?”
 
“It's episode fifteen, and you've been asleep since episode two.” Yoji grinned, and reached over to snag Ran's soda. A knife was at his throat before he'd completed the movement. Ranblinked, and hurriedly pulled the blade away, stowing it back in it's sheath on his wrist. “I'm sorry.”
 
“I forgot you have the same reactions as me. My fault. Can I have a sip of your soda? I'm thirsty.” He didn't look angry or anything, just a little sad. Ran dutifully handed over the bottle, which Yoji chugged until it was empty. He raised an eyebrow, accepting the bottle back.
 
“A sip?” Yoji shrugged, sinking back into the bag. Ran just rolled his eyes, focusing back on the screen. The other two were playing some bizarre card game, and saying `Kanpai' every few minutes. He supposed it was a drinking game; there was an open bottle of liquor in front of them. He sighed as something else exploded, his mind rolling over the philosophies presented in the futuristic show. He knew he'd have some ideas on how to reform the police system once he'd finished this series.
 
At eleven, a servant came in, and announced that the Prime Minister and his Chief Aide had an early meeting the next morning, and that they should get to sleep. Ran laughed as she shooed the two young men out of the room, tsking at the empty bottle before pressing a button on the wall. Another servant came in and cleaned up, asking if they wanted anything else before he left. They said no, turning off the player and replacing the disk. They left the room, and Yoji led him back to his room, before waving and walking off, covering a yawn.
 
He went inside, calling Kenshin as he went. Kenshin came in minutes. “Atsuki told me you'd one to your room,” he said, taking Ran's jacket from him and patiently waiting for the rest. Ran put on another pair of pajama pants and handed the rest of the suit over, smiling faintly as Kenshin placed them in a neat pile by the door to pick up on his way out.
 
“Anything else, Fujimiya-san?” He shook his head, dismissing the man.
 
“Go on to your bed, Kenshin, we'll have a busy day tomorrow, because I'm going house-hunting.” Kenshin bowed and left. Ran didn't bother with a shower; he was too tired. He set the clock to wake him early so he could clean up, and fell into bed with a contented sigh.
 
^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^ ~^~^~^
 
Ano, I don't know if this is any good, but it's going to get better… (I hope) as always, we poor artists starve without payment, which is reviews in this case.
 
I am aware that Escaflowne (or Visions of Escaflowne for all you literalists) and Gundam Wing (New Report Gundam Wing) were contemporaries, but keep in mind that Ran was probably only able to watch what his sister wanted, and she strikes me as an Escaflowne girl. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Gundam Wing Fanatic, myself, but I don't know if she'd like the storyline as much. And after she went into a coma, he lost interest. I figured he'd think the characters were too pretty, but fall in love with the story. That was my first impression of the show. Anyway, no more babbling.