Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Crawford: The Art of War ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Title: Crawford: The Art of War

Author: Ann

Rating: PG. My stories tend to include male/male sexual inclinations and relationships. If you are too young for mature themes, or don't care for this concept, please stop reading now.

Pairings: None for this part, though it's part of a series featuring BxS... eventually.

Disclaimer: Weiss Kreuz characters and all rights belong to Takehito Koyasu and Project Weiss. This is fan fiction and no profit is made from this endeavor.

Notes: AU. A short piece that continues the series that started with "Walking in London" then continued in "Pilgrimage." Another Brad POV. Thought they went to Rosenkreuz, and were under Esset's control? Think again! Still, if you disregard the Schwarz CD's, this can be considered an alternate timeline leading up to the events in Weiss Kreuz.

They can't all be songfics, sadly. Instead, the quotes within (which are encased by //) come from Sun Tzu's "The Art of War." Originally written over 2,000 years ago by a Chinese general, the book of strategy has influenced military and political minds ever since. A translation of the book is available at http://www.sonshi.com. Any mistakes are mine alone.

***

//One who knows the enemy and knows himself will not be in danger in a hundred battles.//

An Oracle faces two major obstacles in life, the primary one overconfidence. The visions are useful, of course, but more important is how I interpret, then act upon them. Quick thinking and sheer force of will have gotten me out of more than one deadly situation in the past, including a near fatal encounter once with another precognitive.

I've sometimes wondered since that day: did she see her own death, yet presume she could alter the events to her benefit? Are some outcomes simply unavoidable, unchangeable, despite the advance warning? Or are we precogs all too human in the end, our gifts failing, leaving us blind to our own demise?

Ironic, isn't it? There are things an Oracle does not see. I don't allow myself to ponder such morbid ideas too often, but they serve as a warning to myself. 'The bigger they are, the harder they fall' may be a cliché, but it is also a painful truth.

As a result I scrutinize myself as often as I do those dangerous to my plans. Strengths, weaknesses, motivations, needs, all carefully analyzed. I rarely act in anger, and never react in fear.

I am in control.

//There are no more than five musical notes, yet the variations in the five notes cannot all be heard. There are no more than five basic colors, yet the variations in the five colors cannot all be seen. There are no more than five basic flavors, yet the variations in the five flavors cannot all be tasted.//

The second obstacle, seemingly benign yet quite dangerous, is boredom. It is far too easy to see the future, yet not experience the present, where life truly takes place. A vision cannot be allowed to replace the actual experience, should I not change the events to come. Sometimes the importance of a moment is in the small details, the tone of a voice, the nuances of body language. At other times, the emotions invoked matter most. No vision can fully prepare you for the reality of events.

Besides, what use is planning for tomorrow if every day is spent that way? When does tomorrow finally turn into today? And what is the point of living if I don't know how to live?

If there's anything that exasperating German has taught me, it's the importance of living in the moment. He challenges me daily, asking questions, disobeying orders on a whim, every action done with a wink and a smile. I'm forced to concentrate on the present, and far too much on *him*: my life has never been so complicated. It's also never been so enjoyable.

//In ancient times, those skilled in warfare make themselves invincible and then wait for the enemy to become vulnerable//

My plans are, as all the best plans are, relatively simple: use Esset, then destroy them. It's when you fill in all the details that it gets a bit messy. I certainly can't do it alone: I need a team. The first step was finding Schuldig, my temperamental telepath. I won't take any of the talents available from Esset; they may be gifted, but they have been broken, and I have no use for the weak.

Once again I am forced to wait. Time, and my visions, will tell. This time, however, I am not alone. He's watching me again, that languid pose and lazy grin not hiding the intelligence and curiosity found in those sharp greenish-blue eyes.

Waiting doesn't seem so bad after all.













< br>