Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Discord in the House of Assassins ❯ Boil, Boil, Toil and Trouble ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Abandoned warehouse on the docks suddenly alive with activity from armed men in black overalls. Tight security. Vans constantly traveling in and out. An outbreak of senseless killings and missing persons near the vicinity. Suspicious goings on. All elements for a mission all ready and mixing in the cauldron, all it has to wait for is the addition of the main ingredient.
 
The Assassin sent by Kritiker.
 
* * *
 
“Aya, don't be that way…”
 
Yohji slumped against the door to Aya's bedroom, desperately flicking his silver Zippo lighter open and close, trying to distract himself through petty amusement. On the other side of the door, Aya gruffly checked his combat gear again and again as he bought time before he had to face Yohji out on the corridor. Or, he could escape through the fire exit and leave Yohji pleading nonsense to an empty room. He heard another round of knocking, which was the fourth time, coupled with jangling doorknob sounds. Aya sighed and shot the window a long-suffering look. He shook his head and began to disrobe.
 
“Naked does look so fetching on you, Aya~n.”
 
Startled, Aya's hand instinctively went to his katana laid out on the bed. Whipping around, katana at hand and clad only in black silk boxer shorts, he faced a bemused Yohji leaning against the door while dangling a picklock set on one finger.
 
“Get the fuck out Kudou.”
 
“That wasn't what you said just last Saturday…”
 
Opting to flip the bird instead of the verbal alternative, Aya ignored Yohji and laid the katana back reverently on his bed before picking up the leather pants and putting them on.
 
“Don't be that way Aya…”
 
“You've been saying that over and over I'm sick of it. Shut up or go Kudou.”
 
“I'm serious. You don't have to do this. In fact, you can't…”
 
“I've sold my soul and immersed myself fully that I can't see a way out, remember?”
 
“That… well, yes… I wanted to… er… you see I was…”
 
“Pissed? Well so am I. Let's see if you have to pick up my ass in the morning. `Till then, fuck off.”
 
Letting out a great, big, theatrical sigh, Yohji ran a hand through his hair and sat down Aya's bed, much to Aya's chagrin. Yohji wouldn't look at Aya though; he just stared at the mission gear beside him on the bed. And though Aya made a great big deal of communicating through his body language that `this was better than Yohji jabbering around, but he still felt put upon, but then again what would one expect from Mr. Insensitive himself', a really annoyingly nagging feeling took residence in the pit of his stomach all the while he finished donning clothes and checking gear.
 
“What?” Aya asked irritatingly towards Yohji's direction. As if startled from a daydream Yohji shook his head and blinked furiously before trailing his gaze back to an irritated and mission-ready Aya.
 
“What?”
 
“I said what?”
 
“Oh.” Yohji shrugged and looked away.
 
“Oh don't give me that.”
 
“Hn.”
 
Aya felt like someone just infringed his copyrights, and he felt consequently indignant. Much to his own chagrin, Aya sat down beside Yohji, but that doesn't mean he couldn't cross his arms on his chest and scowl, which he did.
 
“What're you doing, lounging about and ignoring me in my room?”
 
“Nothing.” Yohji scratched his face lazily, stood, stretched a bit and looked about before going to the door, looking for the entire world a normal, disinterested pedestrian before an amateur mime artist. Before leaving, however, he turned a bit, looked at Aya with a lazy-eyed, `cant-do-anything-about-this' face, and shrugged. Then he left Aya who was stumped sitting on his bed with a funny feeling of a memory of an incompetent high school teacher he had before who acted the very same way as Yohji just did. The teacher usually annoyed him so he always made an extra effort for a comeuppance through a really brilliant paper, or an outstanding project, but he knew that won't work with Yohji (because what the hell would Yohji do with a paper mache likeness of the Empire State Building?). He didn't get it, but Yohji just turned the tables against him yet again! Yohji came in soothing him and Aya ended up soothing the blonde moron! Annoyed, Aya kicked the leg of an oft-abused chair beside his bed, stood rigidly for a moment, and then kicked the chair again.
 
“What the hell was that about?!”
 
Taking a deep breath, he instead focused his mind on the mission at hand, the one he accepted due to a wish for comeuppance that'll blow the other three way away and make them admit they were wrong to think Aya couldn't handle himself without them. It wasn't as if this was the first mission Aya accepted on his own, he'd been doing solos before he ever was with Weiss. This one though, was kind of odd, and Aya bit his lip without noticing it as he skimmed over the mission folder one more time. Yohji had a point- he shouldn't do this one on his own, everything about the mission tells it needs a team of more than one. The warehouse was too big to cover alone, and the number of goons guarding it for just one night is unbelievable. Besides, Kritiker didn't even know what was in the warehouse.
 
`Well, that's why they're sending you over… you find out what's inside the warehouse.'
 
Ah yes. Have you met Aya's other voice? The one inside his head? Aya's other voice (who insists one being called Edouard but is always overruled) isn't his Id, Ego, SuperEgo, Conscience (scoff), Little Angel or Little Devil, it's not his dark side or what; it's just a “parasitic disembodied opinionated little fuck” (to quote Aya himself). It enjoys agitating Aya at every opportunity, and also enjoys the fact that Aya can't kill it without killing himself (hence the complete disregard of Aya's sharp katana when mouthing off). It also has the capacity to talk in such a way that one gets the idea of italicized words. Yohji, curiously, is the only other person to witness an argument between Aya and his other voice, and to quote Yohji, “it ain't pretty”.
 
“I know that.”
 
Humming a little tune his other voice happened to despise, Aya took his duffel bag and katana, surveyed his room one more time, killed the light (not with his katana, but with the handy light switch) and went out. A second later he came back, annoyed, locked the door and closed it.
 
As soon as he heard Aya's determined footsteps down the stairs (and this was a feat, since Aya was a quiet mover that even other Assassins thinks he's quiet), Yohji peeled his body off of his bedroom's door, inserted a finger into his ear and shook it around to make sure it was still okay, and grimaced. The damn fool was still going through with the mission, but Yohji was going to make sure Aya wouldn't be alone. He smelt a trap, it was too… he can't put his finger on it but the mission seemed wrong. It didn't arrive with Manx, for one thing. Aya should've noticed that, and though it was a perfect copy of Kritiker, right down to Persia's idea of espionage videotapes (learn how to be an Assassin's boss with flowery descriptive words!), Yohji smelled a rat. Granted, he hasn't cleaned his room for a great while, but that wasn't what he meant. If Aya wasn't so spurred on by his driving vengeance on anything that offends him (he was witnessed to have exacted vengeance on an unfortunate ketchup bottle by buying and using another brand of ketchup in front of the offending ketchup bottle to spite it, then he broke the bottle as if exacting justice*), he wouldn't have taken the mission either. But no, he has to go and take it to show Yohji and the others that he can do it on his own, without Omi's guide and Yohji's stealth and charm and Ken's… bugnuks.
 
“Foolish bugger.”
 
Yohji has to make sure of another thing though, that Aya wouldn't notice him following. And though he's a superbly stealthy Assassin, Aya could tell he was following even to the gum stuck to his left boot and the color of his boxers without turning around once. This has so unnerved Yohji once he even forewent the undies just to see if Aya could sense that**. Aya was that sensitive when on mission mode. So, to be able to hide from Aya without losing the redhead, he has to call on the sinister forces to help him. Not that he wants to though. With his face still in a grimace, he lit the candle and turned off the lights, and prepared himself for summoning the devil.
 
 
 
*witness to such an account has yet to surface, but it is an urban legend among the three other Assassins.
 
** Aya did, but he just shook his head at such “apparent stupidity”, going native on a mission wasn't exactly the most comfortable thing to do, sure you feel the breeze when you do the roundhouse kick, but in one unguarded moment and somebody hits the family jewels, then where are you? That's why a jockstrap can be oh so handy, especially when you have to fight women who have the uncanny ability to zero in on your Johnny even when in an arm bar.