Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Discord in the House of Assassins ❯ Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Someone once told him that if you stood before a mirror in the dark midnight, bent over and peered between your legs while holding a candle, you'll meet the Devil through the mirror and you can ask him of your future spouse. It was three hours to midnight, and Yohji didn't want to see the Devil and ask him about marital affairs, but it can't be helped. It was the middle of the week, the time when the other is quiet and sated. If it was a Friday, Yohji knew he didn't have to succumb to such idiotic rituals best left to pre-teens out to scare themselves and get marital advice while they're at it, the other would simply come to him. But it was a goddamned Wednesday, and though he finds his Wednesdays lucky, this one Wednesday wasn't. He has to follow Aya without the other knowing, and he needs all the help he can get, supernatural or not. Not that he wants to, he just needs to.
 
Nobody asked him to look after Aya-n.
 
Damn it.
 
So he cared for the idiot. If only for the monthly sacrifices the redhead does for Yohji*, he owes Aya that much. They were buddies now. Oh dear sweet Jesus, buddies with Aya. Okay, so he was gruff with Aya over the mug thing. Sure, Aya took it to heart, he always does. But heck, he and the others had a very big point: Aya had better learn to play nice and consider them equals, or else next time their quarrel would be bigger than just mugs, and he doesn't want that. At the risk of being mushy and considering the boys as his only family now, well, it's reality. They're supposed to be dead on papers anyway. And in this world, when you don't have papers, you're dead anyway. No use for looking for another family. Sure, he could pretend to be somebody else, find a new life, and no one would be the wiser, but he'd still have nightmares. And for Yohji, he'd rather have nightmares in a house where everyone else dreams the same nightmares he does.
 
Comforting himself with that thought, and justifying his otherwise irrational action as well, Yohji stood before the mirror, face in a very determined grimace **. He looked at the mirror as if willing it to ripple, and when it refused to, he muttered a curse and turned his back to it, bent over, and peered through his legs. All he could see was yellow though, so he stood up and hurriedly tied his hair with some string he found in his pocket, and then bent over again. Seconds after nothing happened, so he ventured saying magical words, feeling silly as he did.
 
“Oh, devil of the mirror, show yourself unto me.”
 
Nothing happened still.
 
“Er… mirror, mirror on the wall?”
 
Still, not even one ripple.
 
“Fuck. Open sesame?”
 
Still nothing.
 
“Fucking hell… come out from there you bloody bastard, I know you're in there. Come out or else.”
 
Another slew of seconds before the mirror moved, defying laws of physics yet again as it often did that physics got tired and just took it off its list. Breathing out a sigh of relief, with his face all red, Yohji stood up and faced the mirror properly, a face of pure irritation. What was on his mirror though, was a Yohji with a very amused look on its face.
 
Mirror mirror on the wall, whose ass is the prettiest of them all? Dear Yotan, you never fail to amuse me. Hmm. Call for the devil. Haven't seen that for a very long time, and in Japan might I add. Although, it's not midnight.
 
“I wasn't calling the devil” snarled Yohji, “Although you're the devil of my life. Now shut up. I need your help.”
 
You? Need my help? I'm sorry, I can't help but be curious, when you said `or else', what could you have possibly thought of as a threat to me?
 
“Help me, or you'll lose your precious Aya.”
 
At which the reflection promptly became serious.
 
* * *
 
Somewhere about the vicinity of the abandoned warehouse along the docks, Aya stalked silently through the shadows, careful to not let anyone see him. He peered over a standard wooden crate*** and surveyed the scene. There's not too many guards out tonight, he mused, by some lucky coincidence perhaps they changed routines and lessened the security the very night Aya was sent to reconnoiter. He risked a silent snort ^, in a mission with your life at stake, there's no such thing as a lucky coincidence. When he infiltrated the warehouse without anyone the wiser, the voice in his head panicked.
 
`Abort! It's a trap!'
 
* * *
Running at an incredible speed in absolute silence, not even one twig snapped underfoot, Yohji had to admit he was impressed. After striking a bargain wherein the V-man^^ inside him would take over Yohji's body to lend him the supernatural faculties' innate in the V-man, but without relegating Yohji's consciousness in the backseat as per usual, but rather giving him the rein, Yohji sped after Aya without hesitation. He was a tad late though, when he got there, Aya was already inside the warehouse.
 
Seeing the inside of the warehouse, Yohji confirmed his suspicion. It was a trap. There was nothing, absolute nil, inside the warehouse.
 
Are you going to stand there, or are you going to help him? I got the impression that you went here to rescue him, but I might be mistaken, what with you doing a great rendition of a sculpture.
 
“Oh, trying to be witty, are we? Shut up and let me think.” Snarled Yohji in a hushed voice.
 
Your mental faculties amaze me. What is there to think of? There are two of them, and the both of us. I doubt they can hold their end of a fight.
 
“No, you don't understand. That's Schwartz. Specifically, Mastermind and Berserker. They can hold their end of a fight.”
 
In the middle of the really abandoned warehouse^^^ stood a bloody Aya, sword drawn but the blade devoid of enemies' blood, panting and on the defense before an amused Mastermind and a… berserk Berserker. It is a wonder that he even got as far as living longer than 10 minutes before the two, since he is handicapped with having no special powers at all except for the family-inherent healing thing, which is a whole new other story#. Panting and with a look on his face that might have been the same look on the faces of Kamikaze pilots in WWII, Aya lunged at Mastermind, who expertly sidestepped. Carried by the momentum, Aya continued to move forward, to the delight of Berserker who pivoted with daggers in both hands, slicing Aya's body as blade and skin met.
 
Up on the rafters, where Yohji hid, the whole scene seemed a macabre dance choreographed by some really depressed person (who might have watched a tad too much of Wagner's operas). The blood from Aya's newly cut wounds seemed magnified to Yohji's heightened senses, and he could feel, smell and hear the blood drop on the blood below, as his eyes became blood red and his pupils constricted. At this point Yohji could no longer control his body as the other took over.
 
There are not many things that surprise Berserker, but a Balinese suddenly appearing in between him and Abyssinian by way of jumping off a rafter from above, from where there couldn't possibly be any way to get to, is something to merit a prickling of interest.
 
“Balinese!”
 
Holding in his surprise, Mastermind instead smirked. “Well well. The more the merrier, I always say.”
 
 
 
*refer to Crazy Sunday Mornings on this one.
** being, the grimace determined to stay on Yohji's face for a very long time despite whatever ridiculous thought may pop up.
***Any self-respecting action sequence on the docks in an abandoned warehouse wouldn't be caught dead without proper wooden crates lying about.
^Aya's talents are endless.
^^ Yohji really has no idea of the name of the other being, so he calls it the V-man instead, assuming of course, that it was male.
^^^ because it really is abandoned, what with being just a set-up and all. To the expense of some American's account, no doubt, because its Schu.
#that thing with Aya-chan, you know, that power to stay alive and not get old?