Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Incubi, Succubi ❯ 04 Bound ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
--

~ 4 ~ Bound

"We will be invincible..."
- Pat Benatar, Invincible

--

It was unfair. Completely unfair.

Omi tried very hard to will himself back into place, back into his own physical form, but failed. He felt like he was spinning, but he wasn't dizzy, he felt his cheeks grow warm, but he couldn't touch them. It was as if a gong had sounded and it called specifically to him; the reverberations were hindering his train of thoughts. This was a buzz he wasn't supposed to feel.

Then he remembered - Nagi. The world he had lost was spinning too quickly.

There was nothing more he wanted, than to cry right then. Sure, it was unmanly, and he could probably take anything on after his experiences, but this... this was a specific example of the complete inaccuracies and idiocies of men.

Youji had just proclaimed his love.

Omi felt himself twitching with anxiety as he analyzed the situation. Here, obviously, Youji was trying to cause such an amount of surprise that would give him a chance to break through. He *had* been a private eye, he had to have guessed something was wrong before. And it was working - all too well.

This was something he wished would happen, in the back of his mind, for so long. So many times he'd caught himself staring at Youji, struck with awe and delight. So many times, he'd hated the cigarette smoke that would waft into the shop around this slacker, and cursed his inability to complete a single task without arranging at least one date within the hour. Yet, he had also been filled with a giddy ambivalence, warped with weak-willed desire and just as apprehensive.

And now... finally... his wish came true.

Untrue.

He didn't know what to think.

It made him feel, to his surprise. A weight leaden in his heart, like unrequited love - though not as fickle - a slow pain that pulsated with cognizance. Slowly, he realized that he was gaining control of his body. Pain was beginning to seep into his being, and he *had* limbs that were numb and throbbing. Youji's ploy had worked.

All to save the idiot who just opened Estet's door to the world.

His numb body leaked blood in several places, his heart wept, and his stomach turned into itself.

Guilt, love, and regret. It made him feel sick.

*

Ken was in pain. He was vaguely aware of that, but that's all he could comprehend, other than the fact that he was laying uncomfortably on the floor. Without moving (because he felt he'd forgotten how to do that) he discerned that the pulsating pain originated from the back of his head.

/Artifact. Get the artifact./

He almost said it to himself, but his lips couldn't form the words. Recalling his objective, he plunged back into his memory to remember being attacked by a pale figure wielding a very large stone. With hazed horror, he realized it was his enemy with the artifact. It couldn't have been anyone but Farfello.

/Aw, crap.../

"Hmph. That was easy." Farfello blinked down at Ken's stilled body, wiping blood off of the artifact with his hand. He licked his fingers clean as he nudged the brunette with his toe. "You surprised me - I didn't expect any of you to live through our fight. When I found the young one, I knew the rest of you couldn't be far. He is the most fragile, after all."

/Omi? Are you talking about Omi??... I swear, if you.../

"I don't have time to kill you right now, and I lent my favorite knife to Nagi. He probably finished the kitten off. We'll finish our own fight later, Weiß," Farfello parted with a nod, striding out of the exit door to meet his waiting teammates.

Finally, in worry for Omi, Ken managed to open his eyes. Through the haze of pain that greeted him, he squinted and realized that he was watching Schuldich and Crawford. The two elder members seemed to be in disagreement. Nagi was nowhere to be seen.

"Omi..." Ken gasped and shut his eyes as the sound of his own voice strained his ears and the world began to spin. When he finally caught his breath, he realized that as much as he wanted to he couldn't do a thing for Omi, but if he could just get closer, he could hear what was going on between the other Schwarz members. Pulling himself along on his elbows, he inched closer to the open door.

*

Omi's entire body stiffened for a moment, then jolted as his senses met with pain. "Y... Youji-kun!" Omi gasped out. Youji grunted as the smaller form went limp in his arms, with small hands grasping the front of his jacket. He fell with Omi, catching and supporting him carefully when as the boy's legs buckled. "Ah.. Itai..." Omi looked down at his bandaged hand, then looked back up to Youji.

Youji pulled away and looked into the youth's imploring eyes, the sparkle of life finally returned to his cerulean blue eyes. Tear-filled eyes. "You don't really mean-" Omi's breathing was stilted as he took in full breaths of air, taking in all he couldn't feel before.

Youji replied with silence, offering only a solemn intent in his gaze as he moved a hand to cup the doubtful face. Sincerity tinged his own emerald eyes, a quality even the truest playboy could not duplicate.

"Youji-kun..." Omi turned away, disgusted with himself and unable to look at his friend. "No. It's too late. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

"Sorry? What the hell for?" Youji frowned, wiping away a tear. Was this Omi? Had he actually gotten through? He expected Omi to be happy to return... The boy rejected his touch, flinching and pushing Youji's hand away with his own hand. It was the same hand that had crushed a mug earlier in the week, still bandaged and tender. "Omi," Youji said, probing the dressings with his fingers, "This was you, wasn't it?"

"I wanted to stop them. I thought tonight, we could. I didn't know. They're too powerful now. There's only one way to stop them, Youji-kun.." Omi began to tremble.

"You need to stop caring about me. You need to let go of me. Ken-kun, and Aya-kun need to forget me as well."

"Omi, what are you saying?" Suicide? Youji never knew Omi to be hopeless.

The boy embraced him, resting his chin on the taller man's shoulder as he spoke. "They're too powerful now. And it's my fault. I won't hurt if you kill me - you have to kill me. I can't feel anything when they're in power. -- Soon, I won't feel at all." It hurt his heart, just wanting to stay where he was in Youji's arms. "I don't have the time -- I just wanted to say..."

Omi paused, shivering as he pulled away from the hug. Then he gasped and raised his head, pushing Youji away. "Youji-kun!"

Youji caught himself as he was forced backwards, and watched as Omi dodged a knife that was flew on its own - previously aimed for his own back. He looked down quickly at Nagi, and realized that the boy was fighting his own inward struggle as his eyes fluttered. So, Omi's possesser had the power of telekinesis.

"No!" Omi sobbed, hugging his knees. "I won't do it! I CAN'T DO IT!-- I love--" He gripped the sides of his head, trying somehow to get the entity out. "Get out of me--"

Youji felt his jaw drop. "Omi, you-"

"Youji-kun..." Omi looked up at him, shaking his head awkwardly.

/Nigete./ [1]

Youji watched carefully as Omi's tears stopped, his eyes widening slightly. With a quick glance he realized the knife was nowhere to be seen. Then he heard the whisper, the one audible threat he hoped he'd never hear from Omi's lips. Omi leaped up quickly, seemingly recovered, and revealed the blade within his hand.

"Shi-ne."

*

Ken watched with surprise as Crawford and Schuldich clashed. He didn't think that they might ever do that. Schwarz was just the group of evil-doers he and his teammates couldn't be rid of. It was almost comforting to see them face off, almost human. But still it was very disturbing to think of what they had almost achieved on the eve of this anniversary.

"No wait!" Schuldich pulled his arm away, glaring at Crawford, who continued walking and glared back at him. "This doesn't make sense. Nagi can't--"

"He's not going to die," Crawford replied. "I'm sure of it. I've had a vision of his survival."

"I think he'd know when he was dying," with a twinge of urgency, Schuldich recalled the desperation in Nagi's thoughts, "*I* felt like he was dying. That's hard to fake or imagine." He cleared his throat, almost flinching at a childhood memory that glimmered briefly.

"Whatever semblence of fear you had pertaining to Nagi is irrelevant," Crawford shook his head dismissively, "And I think I'd know if he were going to survive."

"You're not hearing me," Schuldich replied, saying each word slowly, "This *doesn't* happen. It's never happened. *Why* is it happening now?"

"There's a first for everything." Crawford shrugged.

"Look, I know you're our 'uber-leader' and all, and I've never doubted you, but this just doesn't feel right," Schuldich rubbed his temples and closed his eyes as if he were in pain. "We need him, you and I both realize that. I can handle people's minds, but we'll depend more on him than we want to. We need the strength that he has to take care of physical problems. I don't want to lose that and compromise our future."

Finally, it seemed like Crawford was beginning to understand Schuldich's behavior. "...What's wrong?"

"Nothing, my head's just starting to really bother me."

"No, I mean I've never seen you so doubtful before," Crawford paused to look examine Schuldich's face, his glasses reflecting a passing glare as his eyes pried at the German's eyes. "Hm," he smirked. "I think you're letting your emotions get to you."

Then the night seemed to stop. Ken felt himself holding his breath against the tension, though his sight still struggled through haze and fog. Two small flies caught his eye, having appeared among the stars; he watched them pirouette towards a bush and settle among the leaves, wings glistening like the brush in the moonlight. The night's air remained rigid, held fast against his body and refusing to budge. Even Farfello had slowed his steps to silence, observing his teammates carefully.

"What did you just say?" Schuldich asked calmly.

"Exactly what you heard," Crawford retorted, resting his index finger on the bridge of his glasses after nudging them upward. His eyes, a thoughtful hazel, glanced downward for a moment then met again with Schuldich's stunned emerald gaze. "And don't even try it - I'll dodge."

"I'm fast." Schuldich bit back. "And you don't know everything. I wasn't really going to punch you." Ken hadn't noticed Schuldich's clenching fists until Crawford had acknowledged them. He wasn't sure he'd seen the telepath this angry before; this anger was of rarity, spawned by personal despair rather than cynicism or social provocation. With each passing second Schuldich was growing more bewildered, his temper flaring as a result. It was something his omniscience didn't know how to handle.

Emotions, Ken mused. He couldn't imagine the reality for this particular Schwarz member.

"Where's Nagi?" Farfello interrupted, staying a short distance away from the pair. "Is he still-"

"We're leaving Nagi here. He'll return to us later," Crawford held his hand out for the artifact. "Was it hard to find?"

"No." Farfello relinquished possession of the stone, backing away as Crawford noticed and large crack in the artifact's face.

"What's this?"

"A souvenir from Weiß."

Crawford nodded, then turned to leave. "Let's go."

Schuldich looked at Farfello, almost daring him to go first. "We're leaving Nagi." He'd begun to slouch down, fists jammed into his pockets like a juvenile hoodlum. The look on his face seemed young, Ken realized, and his voice hadn't left the low, calm tone characterized by his newfound anger.

Farfello nodded, then started after their leader. "He'll come back - he has to return my knife."

As Ken watched Schuldich scan the area, rubbing the back of his head gingerly, Ken pulled himself back into the building and leaned against the door. "Out of sight, out of mind," he assured himself. He peeked out again to see that all three had departed, catching the slouch of Schuldich's jacket in the moonlight.

"Nagi, huh?" He didn't know what to do with the information; he looked into the twilight's darkness and knew he wouldn't receive a reply. The flies had rejoined the stars, puzzling his eyes as their wings twinkled still. Night smelled good, his nose told him as the air seemed able to move again; it smelled like peace. Like life, cut so flawlessly and perfectly that it numbed your nose because you'd pierced the very heart of its spice.

"To each his own," Ken whispered into the night, inhaling deeply what part of night he rarely managed to enjoy for himself. "Mission failed, sorry guys." Then he pushed himself up from the floor, and stumbled to find his own teammates.

*

Youji closed his eyes and pulled his own fists outward as Omi came at him. He waited to feel the blade in his gut; nothing happened. When he opened his eyes, he found the wire looped around his fingers had come to his aide. His arms shook as he unwillingly tugged the wires, securing their hold. The knife fell to the floor.

He'd been expecting the change, having learned from his experience with Neu. Omi's body was bound - his wrists secured by one tugging hand, his throat caught in the wires of the other. Though Youji realized it was necessary for his own sake, he couldn't stand the sight of it.

/Just like her.../

Omi's consciousness regarded the remembrance flashing in Youji's eyes. Too close. It had been too close to Youji's death at his hands. His hold flickered for small bites of time as Aria struggled in his place.

"Who the _fuck_ are you?" Youji's smooth voice hardened with each word, the last touching in an animalistic growl. He was on the verge of killing Omi, but he felt that his arms couldn't carry out the act. What else was there to do?

"I_can't_breathe, idiot." Omi choked out.

"That's the point." Youji's eyes thinned, assessing objectively the tautness of his wire. He relaxed a bit, offering one centimeter of slack. He couldn't help to feel some sympathy as he watched blood make trails along Omi's legs.

"Well, aren't you mad?" Omi smirked when his airway opened up a bit. "Hold onto that passion, because I'm something you can't defeat more than once."

"Really?" Youji lowered his head to whisper into Omi's ear. "You seem to be in a precarious position as I see it. I may feel the urge to let you live, if you tell me who you are."

"Won't you have to?" Omi choked out, pressing his cheek to Youij's lips. "I doubt you have the strength to kill someone you *just* professed your love to."

Youji paused, then tugged harder, forcing a cry out from Omi's throat as he pulled his face away. "He gave me permission to kill him - you. I think I'll give him the one thing he asked for."

"Even if he'll feel it?"

"He won't."

"Won't he?" Omi's eyes challenged him. "When I decide that I can't take anymore and relinquish control, won't it hurt for the few seconds that he feels the wire close in around his throat, for the few seconds that he sees the determined hate in your eyes? Won't it hurt for him to die by your hand?"

The wires remained frozen in time, as their puppeteer fought indecision.

Conviction - Omi's voice was laced with his usual assured tone. This tone was always right. Youji knew in his heart that he couldn't deny it.

/Youji-kun! NO! Damn you, stop torturing him!/ The last thing Omi needed was for Youji to feel guilty for him. Hadn't he heard? The entire ordeal was his own fault!

"As soon as I'm gone - He'll feel it," Omi's words tumbled into a threatening whisper, "I guarantee you."

/No! Please!... Just kill me.../

This was where the difference lay, Youji realized. Asuka, when acting as Neu, had put all of her heart into everything she did - for the love of Masafumi Takatori. Omi was trapped in his body, possessed by something that acted completely against his will; he was still Omi. Neu had died as a true enemy of Weiß and humanity. If Omi died, he would die as an innocent.

It was Youji's turn to feel sick. Necessity versus emotion, the struggle was pulling him in all directions. It was imperative that he smother this flame before it grew. But he couldn't forget that Omi was still in there. Alive. With a smile he wanted so badly to see again.

/I'm sorry Omi, I can't./

Webs of silver went slack. "Shimatta." Youji closed his eyes, thankful that neither Ken nor Aya were present to watch his pathetic weakness "Who are you?" The gravel in his voice melted into a harsh, urgent whisper. Then somehow, he knew. There was something to be said of Weiß' enemies, and not many were intelligent enough to pull off what had just actually occured. Desperation seeped through him like grease through paper, as he hoped to whatever god he had that he was wrong.

/Youji.../

Omi shrugged the wires from his body with a sound of relief. "Considering that we've met before, it's funny you should ask." After pondering his response, he reached out with both hands and pulled Youji's face to meet his own. "I am - or, was - Aria Mikata, first executive branch of Estet," he smiled, cerulean eyes glowing all too happily. "Yoroshiku."

*

The room, to Nagi, seemed too dark for comfort. He felt smothered by something, a very cold something that seemed to hold him. It wouldn't let go.

He recognized what surrounded him - the four white walls, the cold floor beneath his body, the now two Weiß members separated by a cold barrier - but he wasn't seeing them through his eyes. The numbness that had set in with the dart's poison, was beginning to fade into a worse sense of numbness. The incessant prickling he'd felt before had completely stopped and he couldn't move.

Nagi knew the body wasn't his anymore.

/Get out of me./ Calling to Schuldich didn't work, and he doubted anyone else would hear his cries. The other trapped Weiß member was too occupied at the moment.

/Boy, do you forget who you're speaking with?/

/And do you forget that you're dead? Get out of me now, old man. And if you were so damned powerful, why the hell do you need me?/ Nagi never cared for the "Estet elders," as Brad had referred to them once. Actually, none of Schwarz ever did - they only had to pretend to be subservient before they had their chance to get rid of the three dependent executives. He hated them with a desire that helped him improve his powers throughout his earlier years as their prodigy.

/I'm afraid it's too late, Naoe./

/It's never too late to kill an old shit like you. I have a friend who's done it before/

/I'm afraid others *have* tried. But none had your powers, boy. You would have done yourself a favor in informing us about your condition earlier./

/These powers are MINE. You can't steal them, even if you have my body./ The thought of hosting one of them revolted Nagi; his body was one of the few things he'd managed to preserve from them. It was one of the few things he truly owned in the world.

/On the contrary boy, they are very much a part of your body. And in having your body, my powers will be magnified./

/My team will come for me/ Nagi countered.

/They've already given up on you. You were the expendable./

The comment stung, mostly because Crawford had said it once before to young, inexperienced Nagi. He remembered how much it hurt to go through the trials of Schwarz, but also the unpredictability of his teammates. /Nothing is certain with them. And you don't know everything./

/Is this how you three gained power? By using others' bodies? Your ritual wasn't the only thing full of crap./

/Such language, Nagi. Thankfully Aria's not here, or she'd have a fit./

/I wouldn't care about her if she *was* here. You're senile and dependent on others. Give it up, Gramps. The future isn't yours for the taking./

/You're right. It's yours. And I shall see it through with you./

/GET OUT!/ Nagi felt a jolt of panic when his body moved without his control.

/Settle down - I'm the one who has the authority now. My name is Pulmin, by the way. David Pulmin. Don't worry, you'll get used to it./

*

"Balinese," Aya's voice erupted from the doorway, "Have you seen Siberian?"

Omi turned around in surprise and raised his hand, sending the knife flying towards Aya. The redhead's eyes widened, and he dodged the attack, apprehensively unsheathing his katana to fight. "What's going on?!"

"You!" Omi growled. "You're the one who killed Jack..."

Aya furrowed his brow, then looked to Youji, who shook his head silently. Youji held his watch up to indicate his wire, and mouthed for him to "run, now." Aya narrowed his eyes, then nodded as the compartment in Youji's watch opened.

The wire flew almost wildly, in a large pattern designed to encircle their target. An invisible force roared through the office, and Aya was caught from his stride, slammed against the walls.

"Bakayarou," Omi smirked. "I've never said it, but it's my favorite Japanese word."

"K'so." Youji backed away as his wire lashed back to him and watched as Aya fell to the floor like a broken doll, his katana clattering loudly.

"Uh-uh. Too late." Omi's eyes thinned in anger as he turned to face Youji, who winced as he was slammed backwards into another wall "You love him, huh? Sad story, but you've irritated me." The pressure increased.

"Omi! Omi, I know you're in there, you have to hold on. You have to-" Youji put a hand to his chest as a pain throbbed. He grunted, then collapsed, barely conscious. "I'm sorry, I couldn't...."

"I would have given you a chance. But it's too late now. All of you will die." Omi sauntered to Youji's fallen form, bending closely over him and brushing hair away to whisper into his ear. "He weeps for you. You'll have to tell me about Asuka the next time we fight." Omi's lips dipped down for a chaste kiss on the cheek, next to his ear. A wet tongue slipped out to tease his earlobe. "But don't die too soon... We've got one hell of a show planned."

With one last gasp, Youji's consciousness was stolen away into darkness.

"There, that wasn't so bad." Omi said, nodding to himself as he dusted his hands off.

Though all of Aria's adversaries in the room were down, her success was not followed by silence, for a gasp was choked out. "...A... Aria?" Nagi sat up dazedly, rubbing the sore spot on his torso.

"Da...David!" Omi ran to hug him, holding his body tightly. "Oh finally! Now we both have bodies."

"It's Nagi, isn't it?" He smiled and placed a comforting hand on his head. "We have new lives now. More than enough power. All we need to do is get Jack a body, then perform the ritual. Without so much flash this time." Midnight blue eyes twinkled. "We'll get this done," and with a smile he said the name, "Omi."

"We will...Nagi." Omi sniffled happily. "We will. And you'll enjoy being young again."

*

Omi watched, plagued with helpless horror as his body plotted with Nagi's newly possessed one. Then, feeling a boiling heat near him, he realized that Nagi's soul was trapped in the same situation.

/Good job, Weiß. You've screwed us all over, now haven't you?/

/You're one to speak. Weren't you the one who worked for them? Didn't you have any idea that this was possible?/ Omi didn't know how to handle the guilt. He knew if he couldn't escape it soon, he wouldn't be able to keep himself from cracking. But who was there to help him through this predicament?

/Like I gave a shit about those three. Wait... there's a third, isn't there?/

/Yes, there is. You'd best be careful what you say./

/It doesn't matter now. We've completely fucked the future up. I doubt Crawford is going to have a good time dealing with this one./

In the silence, a third voice rang out, slow and steady.

/Crawford, did you say? I'd forgotten about the prospect./ The new frigidity, the third Estet member's manifestation, floated between them curiously.

/Don't tell me - you're going to possess Brad and give him the ultimate payback./ Nagi guessed.

/Close, but no. Bradley doesn't do a thing for me. I've had my eye on a quick young body for ages. Don't blink, boys, lives will be going fast in a few days - including yours./

/We're doomed./ Omi moaned dejectedly.

/There's no need to state the obvious, blondie./ Nagi replied scornfully, inwardly wondering how hard Crawford would kick himself in the ass for leaving him to die, again.
-----

[1] = "Run."