Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Incubi, Succubi ❯ 06 Faux ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N: Whoa. Long time no see... Thanks to anyone who has reviewed to this old fic. Sorry it's weird, it's been a while!

--

~ 6 ~ Faux [False]

"We're gonna scream until we're satisified..."
- Pat Benatar, Invincible

--

Schuldich almost made it. If Nagi could have broken through one more time to help him before the door slammed shut, he would have made it. But as the door closed, so was his fate sealed.

Nagi wasn't fazed as he listened to Schuldich's stream-of-consciousness cursing. While the German's mind busied with vexing the three Estet executives, Schuldich's body performed a sort of strange dance, hopping from side to side as the three gathered bodies went down to take care of the remaining Schwarz member in the house.

"Jack--er... whatever-- What are you doing?" Nagi asked, pulling out a full ring of keys as he stopped before a door.

"It feels like a new suit," Schuldich complained. "It's stiff and everything."

"You'll get used to it," Omi said.

Nagi jingled the keys before him, asking himself: "Which one?" When apparently no answer came, Nagi shook the keys angrily. "We don't have time for this boy. I'll make Crawford's death slow and painful if you don't tell me--" Suddenly, one key was raised on the ring. "That's better." Nagi hurriedly unlocked and opened the door.

"Weiß!" Farfello yelled and reared dangerously as he spotted Omi, held back by chains as he jumped forward. Omi stood a foot-length away from the Irishman's face, admiring as the hallway light illuminated his form.

"Right," Nagi said, slipping into the doorway. "Not anymore."

Farfello stopped. "...What?"

/We couldn't stop them,/ was all Schuldich could offer in his thoughts.

"Don't you recognize me?" Nagi growled, "You did kill me one year ago."

"Don't stay too close... Nagi," Schuldich warned. "He's a dangerous animal. We should dispose of him immediately. After all, we have to find a new body for the ceremony."

"No, wait," Omi said slowly. "He is dangerous... He is an animal.... He's the one who doesn't feel pain, remember?

"Look at his body, those scars. Can imagine what he's been through? What he can survive?"

Nagi frowned. "Ar--Omi, you aren't suggesting that our answer has been in front of us the entire time," he scoffed.

"I'm saying that time has just proven itself to be a friend," Omi replied, peering lustily into Farfello's eye. "Gentlemen, we've found him." Omi couldn't help smiling as he continued. "He's our pale horse."

"So-" Schuldich pointed to Farfello, gathering his thoughts, "-We won't kill him, we'll keep him down here until we need him. And Crawford?"

"I have a plan," Nagi murmured thoughtfully.

"What is it?"

"He dies."

*

Manx's eyes burned as she flipped her gaze between Ken and Aya. "I don't appreciate being lied to, not when this much is at stake. Believe me... Now, there is *much* at stake; if Schwarz has the artifact the second branch of Estet won't be far behind. Defend Omi's actions, or prepare to fight against him."

Ken opened his mouth to say something, only he didn't know what to say.

Then the basement door opened, and a tired-looking Youji appeared through a bed of smoke. "There isn't much to explain Manx. It's not him."

"Who else could it be?"

"Would you believe me, if I said 'Estet'?"

"That's impossible."

"If it's so damned impossible, Manx, could you explain to me why that artifact scares the hell out of you and Kritiker?"

"Not Kritiker," Manx whispered.

"What?" Youji blurted. "I don't understand."

Manx inhaled deeply. It was time to stop being the messenger and take action. Kritiker had only so much power in this situation, and she could offer so much more. Deep in her heart, entwined with the fear of the truth, was the knowledge that Kritiker didn't have.

"*They* don't understand the full story behind this incident," Manx continued. "They know what happened last year will repeat itself if the artifact is not recovered. But they don't understand that the incident will occur at the hands of the same perpetrators.

She avoided the strange looks the three Weiß members were giving her.

"When I was a girl, before I became Manx, I engrossed myself in a religion that understood the strength of powers like Estet. Wicca. I was a witch."

"Do you know what we're facing?" Aya asked curtly. He began to grow irritated at the lack of information Weiß seemed to be faced with with this new predicament.

Manx nodded. "War, pestilence, and famine."

"A witch who reads the bible?" Youji raised an eyebrow. "You're one well-rounded woman."

"For once, I'll accept that compliment," Manx said dryly

"Wait," Ken interrupted, holding his hand out as he racked his brain. "Those are .. the horsemen right? And the fourth--"

"We avoided the fourth last year," Manx sad gravely. "But we'll have to try again."

"So that means--" Youji was interrupted by the phone. He considered letting the machine pick it up, but he needed a distraction to calm the heavy thoughts in his mind. "-Last night, Omi wasn't fighting, he was recruiting. --Moshi moshi."

"That must be it."

*

When Crawford opened the door to the apartment, the last thing he expected to find was an unconscious Nagi blocking the entrance. "Nagi?" Crawford asked in alarm, bending forward to feel the boy's pulse. It was faint and fast, a dangerous combination. "Nagi, can you hear me? Dammit, we shouldn't have left you..."

He remained completely unaware of the real struggle occuring in the young boy's body. David Pulmin's spirit was fighting not for control, but to relinquish momentary custody back to Nagi's consciousness. It was this turmoil that caused the convincing weakened state. Meanwhile, Nagi fought to warn his leader of the oncoming danger. But David's hold prevented him from getting the message through.

"Crawford..." Nagi groaned, his eyes fluttering as Crawford gently shook him. "Don't--- Leave-... Kill..."

/Crawford!/ Schuldich managed to get through. The clairvoyant flicked his gaze around the apartment, before spotting Schuldich's still form, limbs strewn uncomfortably over the couch. /Crawford you need to--/

/--I know,/ Crawford interrupted, pulling out his weapon. /They're still here aren't they?/

"Youji-kun?" a familiar, sweet voice echoed from the kitchen. Then its owner cleared his throat, and tried several more times. "Youji-kun. Youji-kun? I don't have much time."

"You've got that right," Crawford muttered, quietly clicking the safety off, advancing in the direction of Omi's voice.

/No, Crawford-- Listen to me! Doesn't anyone in this fucking team listen?! Crawford!/

*

"Youji-kun?"

Youji froze. That was Omi's voice on the phone, full of its natural sweetness. He tried to remember that it wasn't really the genki teenager, but when he did that, he could only feel a stab of remorse for the boy. Manx, Aya, and Ken all looked at him questioningly as he struggled to find his own voice. "Omi?"

"Trace it," Manx hissed.

"Youji-kun, I don't have much time," Omi whispered desperately.

Youji shook his head and answered: "What is it Omi? Where are you?"

"Youji-kun, I just wanted to say. Schwarz is--"

A gunshot finished his sentence.

"Omi! OMI!" Youji yelled into the receiver. The sound of a body falling filled the line, before it went dead.

*

"--Gone," Omi finished, still aiming his gun where Crawford once stood.

/Bastards.../ Schuldich thought in agony, watching as his body peered over Crawford's bleeding torso, asking if the American was dead yet. /He didn't have a chance./

Omi's consciousness floundered in the sudden grief surrounding him. The Schwarz members did have the capacity to feel, he realized with surprise. Nagi in particular, was having trouble with a sudden torrent of emotions. /I'm so sorry,/ was all he could think, feeling the viciousness of the spirit inside his body.

Feelings were internal matters. They could be buried, but were not tangible. They could be locked away, but with no true hiding place. Where did feelings go when one did not use them in everyday life?

"Stupid American," Nagi muttered, putting his face close to Crawford's as Crawford took slow, painful breaths, "Your team is ours." David couldn't help but watch with curiosity the soul he saw through Crawford's eyes. They were void of fear and anger; all that registered through his expression was extreme disbelief. "You know who we are now, don't you?-" Nagi smiled cruelly, "-You tried to steal our future. Now you won't see the rest of yours."

"What are we doing? We can't just sit around and watch Crawford die!" Schuldich exclaimed, a tone of victory in his voice. "We've got a ceremony to perform!"

"Fine, we'll dump his body somewhere," Omi replied, admiring the weapon in his hand. "I think I remember a good place."

Two light teardrops fell from Nagi's eyes, splashing onto Crawford's cheek.

/Crawford.../

"David, what's wrong?" Omi asked. "--I mean, Nagi." He smiled sheepishly.

Nagi looked up and shook his head, wiping at his face. "Silly boy and his emotions."

None of the intruding spirits realized it was the first time these bodies - including Crawford - had actually seen Nagi Naoe cry.