Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Mend my Heart ❯ Snippets of the Past ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 

"Ohayo Fujimiya-san." The receptionist greeted cheerfully. He had become a regular and mostly all the reception staff knew him. They even had his visitor's pass ready, right on time for him. He was always punctual although for the first time in years he had woken up a little later than usual. He attributed that to the exhaustion he felt when he got home last night.

He replied respectfully then headed up to Aya's room. As he walked, his thoughts began to wander. He still didn't know how to deal with what happened yesterday. He had gone into that room out of curiosity and now he couldn't get the boy out of his thoughts. There was something about the youth that captivated him, he just didn't know what exactly. What he did know was that he had to stop worrying about the boy and think about his sister. She needed him and there was surely someone who was checking up on the kid.

Then why did he suddenly find himself standing in the doorway of that room again? Somewhere his mind must still be functioning because he never entered the room, just stood at a distance. His gaze automatically seeking out and finding the lithe form. The brunette seemed peaceful once more, no sound or movement simply deep in sleep. The room was silent except for the sound of the typical machinery. No visitors waited patiently. Just four comatose figures lay in the four beds. For a few more hesitant moments he lingered before turning away.

He was there for someone else. Nodding a greeting to the nurses on duty, he turned into the much smaller private room where his sister stayed. They were fortunate in one sense. Their father was a prominent figure in a bank and had accumulated a significant amount of money. Upon their deaths, Ran inherited the moderate wealth along with Aya. As the executor, he set up an account dedicated to paying for Aya's stay until she was able to leave. He only kept a small amount liquid to pay for his studio apartment.

Thus he commenced his vigil. At first there was only silence but after a while he began muttering softly to her, encouraging her to wake. Finally, he ran out of things to say. He sat for a time in the void of non-thought. Eventually, his stomach informed him that it was hungry. He glanced up at the clock and noticed that it wasn't yet time for lunch. So he decided that the vending machine in the waiting room down the hall would provide enough to satisfy until he was ready for lunch. Softly, he said, "I'll be right back."

He walked briskly down the hall and into the room. Ignoring the orderly who sat reading the paper, he went right up to the machine and selected a small bag of chips. He bent down to retrieve his change and the bag. Just as he was shoving the change in his pocket something caught his attention. On the table in front of the orderly, the rest of the paper was haphazardly strewn about. A small blurb on the side of one of the sections was the object of his curiosity. Leaning over he read, "Verdys found replacement for Hidaka. Page 6." He glanced up and noticed the heading of the section. "Sports."

For a moment, he didn't move. The overnight nurse had said that the boy's name was Ken Hidaka and that he was some sort of athlete. He wondered if this was referring to that boy. The sudden drive to find out more had him speaking before he knew it. "Pardon me, but may I look at this?"

The orderly looked up at him startled but soon smiled as he saw Ran. "Sure go ahead. Take whatever you want, I'm just about finished with it."

"Thank you, but this is all I wanted." Taking the paper, he hurried back to Aya's room. He checked on his sister briefly before settling into his chair and flipping to page 6. His eyes scanned the page and found what he was looking for.

J-League Team Verdys(1) has finally named a permanent replacement for Hidaka. The title of the article said. Eagerly, he read on. The Verdys had been a no name team just over a year ago. Desperately trying to keep their team alive, the owner Hiro Makamura gambled on hiring a couple of young rookies. Fortunately enough the gamble paid off. The names Verdys and Hidaka suddenly rose through the ranks to become some of the most popular in the sport. Hidaka, dubbed The Wall, was one of the hottest Goalies in the league. His virtually impenetrable defense allowed the rest of the team to develop their game without worrying about the other team scoring. Soon they made it to the playoffs and managed to win the championship last year.

The team was psyched and ready to prove to the world that it was not a chance happening. They had just made it into the playoffs for the second year in a row. However, their dreams were shattered when Hidaka was involved in an accident putting the young man in a coma. There are still some skeptics that question the accident and Hidaka's injuries but as far as the reports go, Hidaka's bike was struck by a drunk driver late one night. Since then the team had been floundering. Demoralized, Verdys could not retain their hold on the championship and were soon eliminated. Some held out the hope that Hidaka would recover and save the team once more, unfortunately that was not the case.

Now that the season was over, Makamura was in the market for a replacement. Today they signed another young up and coming athlete to fill in the gap left by Hidaka's absence, Ashida Tachikawa. The team believes that Tachikawa will bring back some of the fire and are looking forward to reclaiming their title again next year. Next week, check out our exclusive spotlight on Tachikawa.

The article was brief but it was enough to whet his appetite. Nibbling at the tidbits of newfound information, an insatiable hunger filled him. He wanted to know more. No doubt he would have to research, but he was used to that. He had already been trying to research the man who had destroyed his family. How much more could it take to look up Ken Hidaka? Set in his resolve, he returned to the world around him.

Looking down at the sweet face of his sister, he began his inner monologue. I've been coming to visit you daily for these past few months and never noticed anyone else. It never even occurred to me that there were others in this place that fate decided to turn her back on.. And yet, last night I found out that we're not alone in this. Of course the circumstances may differ but there are other innocents lost in the sea of Darkness.

Yes, I'm referring to that boy, Ken. In a way he reminds me of you and I don't know exactly why. He's young, probably your age but that's all I can tell really. And yet, I find myself drawn to the innocence that surrounds him. It's the same feeling I get when I'm around you. Why is that? How can I get such a sense of someone when I have nothing to base it on?

But there was definitely something there. I stumbled upon him because he was lost in a nightmare. The nurse said it was a possibility that he would wake up. And do you know what, I was happy for him. I didn't even know his name and I was happy for him. I think it was because it gave me hope. If he could wake up then that means you could wake up too. And I so dearly want you back in my life. I'm so alone sometimes and I would give anything to have someone to talk to again.

Until then, I'm still looking for the bastard who ruined our lives. It gives me the purpose I need to go on every day. I've also decided to look into this Hidaka kid more. There's something about his story that intrigues me. But we'll see what happens later, I already have a lot that I'm doing. I have practice again this afternoon, but tomorrow I'll be with you all day.

Please, imouto, I need to know you're all right. Come back to me.

Once again his stomach protested the emptiness and he glanced over at the clock. He was ready for that lunch now. Getting up, he said his bye's to Aya and walked out. Passing by Hidaka's room, he stole a peek inside. The lights were off as no one was there other than the sleeping patrons. He wondered where the boy's friends and family were but shrugged it off for the moment.

Ran's day went by smoothly. He ate and returned to the Hospital after his lessons. He stayed with Aya the rest of the evening, his thoughts drifting back and forth. When he finally decided to return home, he stopped at Hidaka's doorway once more. He didn't linger too long but he began to wonder how this boy was able to break into his thoughts when the rest of the world meant nothing to him.

Once he got back home, he had a quick bite then went to his computer. Running a search he found a number of articles about the rising star. He printed a few of the more in depth stories and features out for him to read while at the Hospital tomorrow. As soon as the printer finished up the last page, Ran shut everything down and readied for bed. Before long he was sound asleep.

--------------------------

 

1- Now, I've read a couple of fics where this was the name of Ken's Soccer team. I cannot confirm this and if someone made it up, I apologize now for borrowing it without permission. Gomen!! If someone did make this up, please let me know and I will either change it or note you as the team creator.

 

On another side note, if you hadn't already guessed, I'm going with Anime Ken with the blue-green eyes rather than brown. Just thought I would mention that. ;)

 

Thanks for reading and please review if you have a moment! Domo!

 

~Ari-kun ^_^