Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Paying the Devil ❯ 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Paying the Devil 5/5

By Nix for Shumea-chan and her Ken muse

Disclaimers: I don't own them, but if you want to see the ones I do own, please visit www.onepinkrose.com.

Paying the Devil 5/5

"Moshi moshi," Omi answered the phone, holding the cell phone to his ear, as he continued searching the internet using wireless access as Youji drove them towards where Aya had said they were. "Aya-kun?"

"No. My name is Doctor Seigo. I have seen your friends. We're waiting for you on the highway. I spent three years in South American, did part of my internship there."

"Okay," Omi said, not at all sure how that connected to Ken and Aya.

"The red head said you have something to do with a flower shop."

"Yes," Omi agreed, motioning for Youji to be patient.

"Your friend, the one that got bitten by the 'snake'," Dr. Seigo said, his voice strained as if he were about to tell them he were seeing purple elephants or something as unlikely. "I finally remember where I smelled that flowery scent I smelled on his breath. It was used as a death sentence in a small town. Particularly nasty."

Omi bit his lip, fingers tapping lightly against his keyboard. "Do you know the antidote?"

"No, but I kept the patient alive until the poison worked out of her system. Bring me caffeine pills and benadryl. And you'd better get the police after that 'snake'."

"Benadryl and caffeine? Okay. We're hurrying." The line went dead then, quite suddenly and Omi's hair stood on end. Just the way the conversation had been, the intake of breath on the other side. He'd been expecting the doctor to say something else. "Hurry Youji. I think it's bad there." Omi hated when innocent people died. It was even worse when good people died.

<><><>

The shaking started sometime as the rain let up. Aya held him, soothed his hair, and wished. Ken had stopped responding somewhere in the shaking. Aya grew more frantic. Holding the life of someone he loved in his arms, once again, feeling them slip away, he just wanted to scream. Nagi had said it would take a week. He should have had a week!

A branch broke outside the tent. Aya froze, one hand reaching silently for the hilt of the sword at his back. Assassin senses suddenly at hyper vigilance, he smelled blood. Fresh blood. Ken brought both hands up to hide his face, blocking some blows that only the soccer player could see.

A red dragon, Aya pulled away, curling up onto his knees, barefooted, wearing just his shirt and boxers, he pulled the sword free of the safety, paused, then caught the distinctive scent of expensive wool suit, no wet and standing too close to the fire. Aya drew the sword, slashing through the front of the tent, breaking the little tent pole, and leaving him there in the rain, wearing his borrowed sword and a protective frightening hatred.

Crawford smiled, a ghost dragon in white Armani. Farfarellow attacked from behind, jumping over the still shaking Ken, to barely dodge Aya's reverse double handed thrust. The Irish man danced back as Aya spun and extended the thrust.

Using a pair of sai, three pronged Chinese daggers, Farfarello caught Aya's katana and tried to force it down towards the ground. Ken's arm lashed out though, from under the ruined tent to hit one Irish leg, knocking the man just enough off balance that Aya had a quick breath to withdraw his sword.

Schuldig was there, faster than a man should move, simply punching Aya hard in the kidneys, laughing as the red head stumbled forward, sword lower, but still held in defense.

"Mr. Fujimiya," Crawford said, voice thick with American sarcasm. "If you are fast, you might be able to run yourself through with that thing. That is the Japanese way, isn't it? The way to deal with abject failure?"

Schuldig grinned, green eyes glinting hungrily. "No, no. Bad kitty. You're mine."

Ken rolled over, slashing at Schuldig's leg as if he had his claws on. This amused the telepath. It amused him more when he brought his boot down hard on Ken's unprotected hand. Ken howled. "Time to put this kitty to sleep, I think."

Aya lunged, veering at the last minute to spin towards Crawford, who dodged, surprise showing on his face.

The fire sparked as Crawford back stepped. Nagi whimpered and fell, a crossbow bolt in his thigh. Aya had no time to notice the black eye, swollen jaw on the youngest Schwartz. Another bolt came by Schuldig's shoulder, aimed more at his throat than his legs.

Wire flashed and Farfarello grabbed for his throat. Blood already pearled along his pale throat. Schuldig spun, eyes narrowed and Youji gasped, called out for Omi in horror. Farfarello stumbled forward when Youji released him and Schuldig caught him, fingers pulling at the wire around his throat, not caring that their blood mixed together.

Crawford had his pistol now, aimed right at Aya. Aya held his ground, katana pointed just above the impeccable tie. "Kitties only have nine lives," the Oracle said sweetly, "But Black is forever."

Schuldig threw Farfarello over his shoulder and disappeared into the forest. Crawford turned and walked away. Aya wanted to chase him, impale him on the katana, take his head, but somehow, he blinked and the ghost dragon was gone.

Omi came into the clearing, running right to Youji, who grabbed him into a hug, then shoved him away.

Nagi struggled to get into the dark of the forest, but Omi got to him first. Omi noticed the battered face, the wary eyes. "Let us help you," he offered.

Aya didn't notice that either, or Omi probably wouldn't have gotten away with it. He was examining Ken's broken hand. Youji turned the lights on in the jeep that was a few meters back from the camp. Youji felt it then, the connection between Aya and Ken, the rightness between Omi and Nagi. He wasn't an oracle, just a playboy, a lonely playboy, but he drove them back to the city.

Weiss was one bigger, and one antidote smarter. Youji's secrets were safe, even if Aya's secrets and heart weren't quite so hidden. The wire is a sharp weapon, a narrow lie to hold. Near the lights of Tokyo, he found himself watching Aya comfort a sleeping Ken. Whatever else had happened in the forest, Aya had paid the devil, found a bit of freedom in loving Ken.