Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Reality's Game ❯ The Beginning ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

I don't own the series Weiß Kreuz. It is owned by Takehito, Koyasu, all rights belong to him and may he never sue me for using his characters without his permission.

Note: Italics, expresses a person's mental thoughts throughout this story. Also this is most definitely and Alternate Universe story… so if you don't like my interpretation of the characters… then… Oh well… no skin off of my teeth ^_^

Reality's Game

Chapter 1: The Beginning

"How are they doing?" A voice spoke out in a tiny room.

"They seem to be doing fine, then again they are highly adept at hiding their emotions and thoughts."

The soft tapping of nails on hard wood seemed to fill the silence that grew in the few minutes after the last disembodied voice spoke.

"Good, speed up the process then. We have to know what will happen before we can make a sound judgment."

"Impossible! Doing that could kill them!"

The tap, tap, tap of the nails ceased abruptly. "And if that happens to be the case… they aren't worth our time or effort."

~

As every weekend went by, a person could always find Ran Fujimiya in the electronics and gaming store within the mall. He was one of those few people who lived for nothing but the games, but he also lived majorly for his sister and family as well, and that was what ended up brining him to what he wanted to call a dilemma, which he was facing at the moment.

He looked at the latest gaming system and sighed. He longed to buy it, but he couldn't, he was helping his sister out by saving his money, so she could go to the nursing school she wanted to go to, and that meant no more spending money on new games, or new systems, such as the one he was currently looking at.

It was a virtual reality system and top of the line at that. No longer had a person have to use control pads to play, but your own arms and legs. You were actually yourself, not some made up character, and that had most gamers drooling from the get go. The only draw back of the system was that it had only one game to it and there was no word about another to be released but Ran had this feeling that the creators of the system were just bidding their time, waiting to see how big of a success they would make before bringing out any other games. Their way of figuring out if their system was a bomb. Which Ran approved of whole-heartedly.

If I get this now, he thought to himself, then it would take me even longer to get Aya the money for school, on the other hand… she has no idea that I'm doing this for her, so it would only cut me back by a few weeks worth of pay.

Ran sighed, he had set a goal before him, to get his sister enough, or at least part of the money for her schooling, by the time of her sixteenth birthday came around. So far, with the rate he was going, he was succeeding. Yet, he couldn't help but feel slightly bitter, because he was unable to get what he would like to own for quite some time.

"Ran, honey, its time to go now," his mother called out to him from the entrance of the store.

"I'm coming," he said and with one last look of intense yearning, he turned around and left the store.

~

A few weeks had passed since that day in the mall. Ran would always go back to that store, would always stand there, staring at the machine with some others, hoping that they could afford it, then turn to leave, saddened by the fact that he couldn't have it, but not really begrudging the reason to why he could never have it.

Ran walked through his front door. "Mother? Father? I'm home," he called out as he dropped his book bag on the floor next to the door and walked over to the couch.

He was just about to sit down on the plush couch in weariness, when he saw a note addressed to him lying on the coffee table.

He hadn't been expecting a letter from anyone, but he was curious to find out what it said and whom it was from, so he picked it up and glanced at it.

The letter really wasn't long one. It barely contained twenty words, and what it did have just said, "Meet us in the kitchen son, we have something for you. Love, Mother, and Father."

Ran raised his eyebrow at the letter. It was rare of him to receive such a note from his parents, much less them having something for him. They rarely bought things for him except for the occasional new clothing and such items that were a necessity to have. He let out a soft groan. They probably have another one of those ugly orange sweaters that mother thought would just look sooo "adorable" on me, he thought as he made his way over to the kitchen door. I wish she would finally realize that orange shirts, of any kind, really clash with red hair, pale skin, and violet eyes. He shook his head and walked through the door.

His mother and father were seated at the glass dining room table, where the family gathered at least twice a day, or tried to, sipping on cups of hot green tea. The aroma from the tea drifted lazily over to Ran, tantalizing him and at the same time reminding him of how tired he was.

His mother looked up from her cup, spotting her son, and smiled at him. "Welcome home," she said warmly. "Would you like a cup of tea?"

Ran nodded, "Hai, please?" Walking over to the table he sat down at his customary place, in the middle of both parents, while his mother stood up and made him the mug of tea.

As his mother went about doing this, he glanced over at his father, hoping that he would speak up and finally tell Ran what all this was about. He had no such luck though since his father was currently enthralled with the day's newspaper and not paying attention to anything around him.

After a few moments of silence within the room, the soft clank of the teacup hitting the table reached his ears. He looked down. A cup of steaming hot tea sat in front of him, placed there by his mother. He moved his eyes over to where she sat and found her sitting there, gazing at him in expectation.

"Thank you," he said and took a sip from the cup. The taste of the bitter tea filled his mouth and a warmth flowed through him, momentarily washing away the weariness that was still over powering him. He set the mug down and smiled. "This tastes great, mother."

A small smile crept over her lips. "You're welcome, dear. Now, your father and I have something for you." She turned to look at her husband. The smile that delicately graced her lips slowly bent into a frown when she realized that Ran's father was still engrossed in the newspaper. Gently she laid her hand on one of his arms and spoke up again, "Honey, why don' you tell him about it?"

Ran's father pulled the paper down from in front of his face, "Huh? Tell who, what?"

She rolled her eyes at her husband's air headedness, "Tell your son about what we bought for him."

"Oh, yes, that." He folded the paper and laid it down on the table. "Alright. Son, your mother and I, we know what you've been doing for your sister this past year." He started out.

Ran grew slightly pale as he father said that. His parents were the type of people who always believed that if you couldn't work for something you wanted, then quite obviously you didn't need it, so they tend to look down on a person who would go out and buy things for another. Babying someone, his parents would call it. "You do?" he asked softly, afraid that his parents would be angry with him for it.

"Yes, we do, and we're proud of you son," his father smiled at him. "You've really shown us how responsible you are, so we bought you something that we thought you'd might like to have." With that, he pulled out a large wrapped box and handed it over to Ran. "Consider this an early birthday present, son."

Ran looked at the package as he took a hold of it. It was too big of a box to be one that held clothing, beside it looked more like a big square than a flat rectangle. Anyway, he was glad that it wasn't one of those boxes. The idea that he might be receiving another one of those nasty orange sweaters had made his skin crawl, but now those thoughts were wiped from his mind.

"Go ahead and open it, dear," his mother said.

After only a moment's hesitation, Ran tore into the brown wrapping that covered the package in front of him. He stopped as his eyes came across words and grew wide in recognition of what his parents had just gave to him. He had been drooling for the last few weeks over the self same system, and now it was here in his hands. He could hardly believe it. This thing coming from his parents, who thought that giving him sheets of paper for his school work, would be a suitable present to give to a person like him.

"This… this is for me?" he asked them.

Both his parents nodded.

Ran smiled, jumped up, and threw his arms around his mother, giving her a hug. "Oh, thank you so much!"

Ran's father smiled, "Why don't you go try it out. We know how much you've been wanting one, so don't waste any time out here with us."

Without further encouragement from either of his parents, Ran jumped up, ran into his room carrying the box with him, and began to assemble his new game system.

It took him less than an hour to get the thing set up and running. The eyepiece was on top of his head and he was about to rock and roll, when he realized that he had forgotten one tiny piece. The game came with a tiny earpiece and microphone that he had to wear during game play, he had an idea of why he needed it. The game that it came with was played on two levels. You could be by yourself or it actually connected you to other players so you could get a better experience of the game. He didn't want to play it alone, so he set it for the connection to other setting and put the last few pieces into place. Pulling the eyepiece over his eyes, he turned the game on and was soon dazzled by how real it seemed.

It only took him a few moments for him to register everything via the online connection. He was only in the game for about an hour when everything turned black on him. Lifting the eyepiece he looked around in his room and found his sister standing there holding the cord that plugged it in.

"Ran-nichan! I've been trying to call you for the past ten minutes!" she said wearing a small scowl on her fifteen, soon to be sixteen-year-old face. "Dinner's ready, so come on!"

Before he could yell at her, or get a word in edge wise she was out the door and heading towards the kitchen.

He sighed, setting all the equipment off to the sighed of the room, where all the other systems he had were store and followed her.

Author's notes: Well… now… I wasn't going to start another long fic… but this was too good to pass up. I will say this fic was inspired by a dream I had a couple nights ago… although it's not exactly like the dream… If it was… I'd be in there making out with Rannie *purrs*

Schu: They do NOT need to know about the hentai thoughts that float around in your head involving Ran…

Hush you!

Schu: *rolls eyes* Anyway, so as she said it was inspired by a dream… and I just made it better. *smirks*

… He's full of himself… Anyway… guys I honestly need you're opinion of this story… because if you all like it… at the end I'll be doing some altering of it… and probably going to try to get it published… anyway please review. Ja!