Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Social Suicide ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

“Social Suicide”
by Viridian5
4/29/12

RATING: PG.
SPOILERS: small, vague one for Schwarz’s plans in “Mission 25: Ende des Weiss-- To the Knights.”
SUMMARY: Crawford has to weigh the risks as he chooses teammates.
ARCHIVAL/DISTRIBUTION: Anywhere, as long as you ask me first.
FEEDBACK: can be sent to Viridian5@aol.com.
DISCLAIMERS: All things Weiß Kreuz belong to Koyasu Takehito, Project Weiß, Polygram k.k., and Animate Film. No infringement intended.
NOTES: Written for Crescentium and the sixth line prompt meme. A few additions have been made to the text since then. My song is “Satellite” by Pigface, and the line is “Commit some social suicide.”

=================
“Social Suicide”
by Viridian5
=================

Crawford considered the piles of files in front of him. A foolish man might be flattered by the Elders giving him his choice of teammates, but he knew better. They’d given him the opportunity to hang himself. He and whomever he chose would be scrutinized for suitability and motives.

He’d worked hard and long to seem the obedient, loyal, efficient operative, and it had gotten him this far. It might seem easiest and garner the least scrutiny to choose teammates who were (or seemed to be) the same way, but not even those who only seemed to be the same way would necessarily be the best for him and his long-term plans. He needed rebels... but rebels who obeyed him. That made things harder.

He believed that he made his own future, but the flashes of vision and success he’d gotten showed him hard blue eyes, a wide smirk, and long orange hair. The orange hair might not be there yet, but one telepath with a thicket of red flags on his file had the eyes and mouth, potent even in the bland ID photo. With that dark green hair, Schuldig would offend Eszett’s authorities the second they saw him, never mind all the citations for attitude, disobedience, and mysterious deaths of a few fellow students. Only the high strength of his telepathy, with its potential to be useful to the Elders with him as an operative or at least breeding stock, kept him from execution thus far.

Did this telepath enjoy tempting fate or just want to die? Whichever, if Crawford made him part of his team it would have to stop.

Crawford might say that he’d taken Schuldig in to reform and tame him, but the Elders could counter that such an effort and Schuldig’s attitude would take time away from the team operating at peak efficiency and make Crawford pay for it. It could jeopardize all his previous work, and he’d also have to deal with this telepath’s nonsense until he had him properly trained, broken, and indoctrinated. If the telepath refused to fall in line with Crawford’s goals and keep them secret, he’d have to be killed in a way that wouldn’t arouse the Elders’ suspicions. So much trouble for just one of the teammates he’d have to choose.

Schuldig better be worth it.

  **********************THE END***********************   More Viridian5 stories can be found in The Green Room version 3.0 at http://viridian.shriftweb.org/ No-frames but no-frills access available at http://viridian.shriftweb.org/index2.htm   Fandoms represented: Weiß Kreuz, Saiyuki, GetBackers, Trinity Blood, Andromeda, due South, Hard Core Logo, Twitch City, X-Files, Once a Thief, the Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie, Angel, Two Guys and a Girl (was Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place), X-Men, Smallville, Doctor Who, Fight Club, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine