Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ The Coven ❯ Shedding Innocence ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Coven - Chapter 5 - Shedding Innocence
 
 
At an apartment…
 
“What's the emergency?” Omi asked, almost tripping over his feet. He saw Ken and Yoji's faces. “What's wrong? You look terrible.”
 
“Here,” Yoji handed him a remote control. “Ken and I discovered this in Kelly's room. I'll be in the kitchen. I badly need a drink.”
 
Puzzled, Omi switched it on, activating the video player. The television screen flickered in streaks of black and white. Then, out came the contents. At that time, Ken looked away.
 
“That's Kelly with Sara, Roberto, Eva and Hiroto…” Omi said slowly. Then, the screen changed to a room. A classy decorated room. There were two people on the bed, lying on top of each other. Naked. Omi felt a knot in his stomach. Minutes later, the one on top rolled away, revealing his partner's face. Instantly, Omi's jaw dropped.
 
“That's Michalik…” Omi spluttered, pressing the `stop' button on the remote control.
 
“You know him?” asked Ken. “In case you want to know the other person, that's Kelly's father.”
 
“Oh god…” Omi slumped onto the sofa. “Back at the university, I found out that Michalik was seen with Kelly, minutes before she fell to her death. Hiroto was there too and…”
 
“Whoa, slow down,” Ken interrupted. “Listen. Start from the beginning.” Quickly, Omi told him his findings. Ken nodded every now and then, listening attentively to every word.
 
“I see now,” he said when Omi finished. “Somehow, Kelly found out her father's secret affair with Michalik. That was why she was horrified to see Hiroto with him at the airport. Probably, she tried to tell him but he wouldn't listen and broke up with her. Emotionally upset, she tried to blackmail Michalik, threatening to expose him if Hiroto doesn't return to her. At the night of the party, Michalik went to see her with every intention to get the disc at all costs, without informing Hiroto. Hiroto must have found out through Raphael or else the two wouldn't be here. Hiroto went up to Kelly's room but then, something went wrong.”
 
“Michalik killed her.” Omi cried out loud. “That confirms it!”
 
“A strong motive, yes, but that doesn't confirm he did it.”
 
“For goodness' sake! Since when are we cops?” Omi retorted. “We are assassins, damn it! Michalik killed her. Hiroto witnessed it and wanted to report to the police. They killed him to silence him. Roberto tried to tell me but I was too stupid to notice it. Now, they got him too!”
 
“Omi.” Ken tried to calm him down. “Roberto died of a heart attack. The autopsy report is out…”
 
“Listen, Ken! These people, Gau, Michalik and Raphael, have some occult powers, which I may have too since these university kids kept saying that I'm the chosen one. If I don't do something now, two more lives are at stake.” Omi headed for the door. “I have to go.”
“No! Omi!” Ken grabbed him, like a hawk onto its prey. “There is a fine thin line between an assassin and a psycho serial killer. You are becoming too emotionally involved. You are in no condition to continue this mission.” He pushed Omi to the floor. The boy writhed fiercely. “Don't take the weight of the world upon your shoulders. You are not a Saviour. You are Omi Tsukiyono.” He hugged him savagely. “A member of Weiss Kreuz. Hunters of the night. We punish those who tried to escape the arm of the law. Remember who you are! Remember who are your friends!”
 
Breathing raggedly, he looked at Omi, who was lying still. He could see the smoldering conflict in his eyes. Sighing wearily, he hugged him again and kissed him on the forehead. Withdrawing, he stood up, gesturing out his hand. However, Omi brushed his hand away and got onto his two feet on his own. Just then, Yoji came in.
 
 
“Got a call from Rex. One of Kelly's friends, Eva Chaurasia, was found strangled to death a few metres outside school's back gate. The police apprehended the murderer. Took a lot of men to hold him down. Judging by his mental state, the police are opting to send him to an asylum.”
 
“Who's the murderer?” asked Ken.
 
“Err… Raphael Chaurasia. Hmm? They both have the same family name… Hey? Where's Omi?”
 
“What?” Ken spin around. Then, the two heard the familiar sound of a motorcycle. “Omi!”
 
“Let him go,” said Yoji, almost inaudibly.
 
“What!” Ken stared at him in disbelief.
 
“He's a man now,” Yoji answered. There was a tint of despondency in his voice. “We have passed all of our knowledge and beliefs to him. It's up to him to decide how he wants to live.” He placed his hand upon Ken's shoulder. “Come on, we have to return. Rex is expecting us.”
 
“We can't let him deal with it on his own.” Ken protested.
 
“Sometimes, it is through the hard way that we truly learn.”
 
 
 
The bookstore at Juzte Street…
 
 
“Hello!” shouted Omi, kicking the door open. “Hello! Is anyone here?” Pacing around the entire bookstore, he shouted again. “Hello!”
 
“Yes! Who is it?” called out a woman. It was the bookstore owner. Omi slightly frowned. Her braided hair was extremely black and she dressed in a white Indian sari. “Oh, it is you. I remember. You bought that book about elements. How is it, so far?”
 
“Look. I need your help.” Omi produced a small photo. “This boy, Hiroto Kazeyousei, may have come some months back. I think he wanted to buy something. Some magic talismans or potion… Can you recall? Please, this is an emergency. People's lives are in danger!”
 
“I'm afraid you cannot help them,” she said solemnly. “Yes, my dear child. I remember him. Very distraught. Very emotional. He wanted to know a binding incantation, a spell to seal another's powers for eternity. I told him that it requires a great amount of concentration. He ignored me.”
 
“That binding incantation?” Omi pressed on. “How does it work?”
 
“That depends on whom you are using on,” she said like it was a joke. “And on the capability of the user. If you intend to use it, you will cause no more than a scratch.”
 
“Then, is there another way? Because…”
 
 
“You want to stop them,” the woman crudely interrupted. “Yes, my naïve child. I know why you are here but I do not know how willing you are to unleash your hidden power. That boy, Hiroto, had the spirit but lacked the understanding of committing to the spirits. Like all children, it was simply for the thrill to hurt or fix someone, to take what is not theirs, to go the easy way without learning.”
 
“I was told that they went to Thailand.”
 
“Why shouldn't they?” she mocked. “Thailand is a tropical paradise. You can get anything, even becoming a warlock. What they do not realize is that those things are often come with prize. Mostly, deaths of the innocent, all because of their stupidity.”
 
“Listen carefully, your vigilante ways will not heal the wounds inside you. If you open yourself to the things beyond human understanding and virtues, it will only cause more pain and suffering. Some even worse than Death.” Omi was about to speak when she held out her hand. “No. You don't have to tell me your past. As long as the Mother is willing to accept you, I will aid your journey.”
 
“The Mother?” asked Omi, bafflingly. Then, it steadily occurred to him that he was clueless about the spirits that Gau and the others invoked to obtain their occult powers.
 
“Born out of the ashes from time to time. Remembered and forgotten. She is the ancient one that keeps the living force is its continuance. The air you breathe, the earth you walk, the water you drink, the fire you take for warmth… She is all of them. Together, they form a perfect circle. A unity. Should it break, chaos and death would descend.”
 
“You said the Mother is willing to accept me?” asked Omi, not understanding a single word she said back then. “How does she know?”
 
“She is all around us,” the woman waved her arms in a dance fashion. “Seeking out mortals that would be her fledgling. There are many who intimate her powers. For instance, those people you were with. They have angered her and it is you who will have to face them. On that day, you took out that book. That was no coincidence. It was her way of testing.”
 
“Testing?” Omi raised a brow. “So, what now? Am I supposed to undergo some ritual and later lightening comes and zap me with immortal powers?”
 
“Have you no faith?”
 
“Lady, having faith or not is not going to stop Gau and Michalik from killing innocent people. Raphael is caught, so, that takes a load off my mind. Until then, I have to find a way to bring them down.”
 
“Why, child…” the woman paused. Her eyes turned to the left. She stood there, still, as if she was listening to someone. “The Mother has spoken to me.” Her arm pointed to the beaded curtains at the far end. Omi frowned, certain that the curtains were not there on that day. “Come, follow me. We shall begin your initiation.”
 
Stretching out her hand, she pushed aside one side of curtains, beckoning Omi to enter. When he did so, he thought he heard the rumbling sound of something heavy moving from within. Turning around, he was shocked to find the bead curtains replaced by stone walls. Striking a match, the woman lit a lamp, shedding humble light to the dark surrounds. With the lamp, she began to light the lamps that stood half-buried in the walls, muttering a prayer as she walked by. Thinking that it would be wise to remain quiet, Omi followed her. With each step, he smelt sweet floral incenses a few metres away. Soothing singings echoed all around her though he was not sure where it came. Bewitched, Omi soon found himself humming to the rhythm.
 
Then, they stopped at a silk curtain that was hung slightly a head higher than Omi. He sensed an incredible force behind the curtains, driving his knees to the point of crumbling. The woman knelt down and murmured another prayer. Barely lifting her fingers, the silk curtain pulled opened. Omi felt his breathe stealing away at the sight that awaited him.
 
A white marble statue of a woman sat on a throne, her dainty hands laid flat on her thighs. She wore no garments save for an Egyptian like headdress that sat gorgeously on her beautifully sculpted head. Gold bracelets and rings adored for her curved arms and fingers. Under the gaze of her almond shaped eyes that glowed under the lamplights, Omi fell to his knees, gradually lying flat out. His heart pounded greatly.
 
“Yes. Yes,” the woman encouraged. “Be in awe of her presence.”
 
Omi couldn't hear her for dizziness was beginning to overwhelm him. He couldn't tell whether it was incenses that seemed to smell stronger by the seconds. He couldn't tell how many minutes have passed. A chill crawled up his spine. He shivered and tried to rub his shoulders. As soon as his fingers touched his arms, he realized his shirt was missing. A cool breeze swept between his legs, heightening another realization. He attempted to get up but his limbs failed him. It was like they had become an iron statue, cast into the sea to drown.
 
“Close your eyes,” she coaxed. “Rest in her arms. Let the Mother show you.”
 
Struggling to keep awake, he forced his eyes wide opened. The more he tried, the heavier his eyelids became. Surrendering, his eyes finally closed.
 
Then, Omi found himself at a place where the sun shined for all four seasons. The soft sands crushed under his soles. He saw palm trees, exquisitely tall, stretching out their beauty to the sun. He heard the sea roaring, its blue waves crashing upon the shores, producing white foams as they withdrew. As he walked, he felt himself floating and yet, each time he looked down, he saw his feet stuck firmly on the sands. Far ahead, he saw a group of boys - Gau, Michalik, Raphael and Hiroto - crowding around a campfire. They threw coloured powders into the fire, causing its flames to burst into exotic colours of heat and smoke. Then, he saw Gau standing over the fire with a handful of yellow papers with black markings on them. In a loud voice, he chanted. Omi covered his ears at the foul noise but kept watching.
 
Gau set the yellow papers on fire before putting them onto a clay pot of water. Mixing it, he took out a small knife and pricked his finger. Squeezing the wound, he dripped the blood into the clay pot. The rest of the boys followed suit, repeating the chant. One by one, they took a sip from the clay pot, swearing allegiance to the coven. Omi saw a sliver gauze wrapping the skies, swirling the clouds into a dark whirlpool. The winds began to howl and grew colder, almost sweeping the boys off their feet. With hands raised, they chanted, proclaiming their everlasting allegiance to the Mother, asking her for blessings. From the fire, wisps of spirits rose, entwining themselves onto the boys, seeping into the cuts on their fingers. Possessed, the boys shook violently, collapsing into the sands like sick men with fits. Horrified, Omi moved back till he lost his footing and fell into the shadows.
 
Half-suspending in the shadows, Omi saw a beckon of light from a distance. Sweeping his arms forward as if he was swimming, he moved towards it. Once his fingers touched the light, it engulfed him, teleporting him into a room filled with people. Recognizing the place to be where Kelly held the party, he immediately searched for her. Barely reaching the staircase, he saw Michalik approaching her. Loudly, he called out to her. However, she was oblivious to his voice. Stretching out his fingers to touch her, Omi was taken back to see them penetrating through her. Once again, Kelly remained unaffected. Helplessly, he followed her and Michalik into the room and watched.
 
Flashing her eyes hatefully at Michalik, Kelly demanded to see Hiroto. Michalik stood there, undaunted. In fact, smirking. Seeing it was useless, Kelly held up a tape, threatening to expose Michalik's homosexuality. He laughed, mocking at her stupidity. Her parents were heading for a divorce. Bitter, Kelly's father retorted to alcoholism. If it wasn't for him, he could have been a useless drunken old man. He confessed that he wanted to break off the relationship but her father's money was irresistible since he needed it to pay his school fees. Removing his glasses, he offered himself to Kelly. He had done it for her father. She was no different. Disgusted, Kelly slapped him. Michalik strained a smile as he rubbed his cheeks. Covering his face with both palms, he slide them backwards, ruffling up his navy hair, producing an exact replicate of Hiroto's face. Impaled, Kelly moved away from him.
 
Just then, the real Hiroto entered. Shocked, she turned and saw Michalik transforming to his original self. Terrified, she moved backwards to the balcony doors, clutching her cross necklace. Her mind was at a blank. Hiroto pleaded Michalik to leave her alone. Displeased, Michalik reproached Hiroto for his lack of commitment to the coven. Why should he be with an arrogant woman who treats others like dirt? Was she worth it at the expense of the coven? Why should they sacrifice their powers for a mere mortal such as her? Fearing for her life, Kelly tearfully begged Michalik to forgive her, vowing to keep the entire incident to her grave.
 
Scoffing, Michalik replied he had long given up on vows. They were meant to be broken. Those who made it are liars and they must be punished. White wisps materialized around Kelly. On his knees, Hiroto beseeched Michalik to stop. Michalik ignored him and chanted a verse. The white wisps twirled into a typhoon like image, scooping up the petrified girl in its invisible grasp. The balcony doors slammed opened. Glass broke out from its frame. In its clutches, the wind violently blew out the girl off the balcony. Her high-pitched screams ended with a bone-crushing thud. Weakened and stunned, Hiroto slumped, supported by his hands only. As Michalik dematerialized, he reminded Hiroto of the consequences should he choose to leave the coven.
 
Omi stood over the weeping Hiroto. Again, he tried to communicate to him futilely. He saw Hiroto wiping the tears away. Rage was in his eyes. Omi could almost taste his thirst for vengeance. Forcing himself, he turned. Omi tried to move away. He was too late. As soon as Hiroto touched him, a bright light appeared to engulf him. The same light he saw in the shadows.
 
He found himself standing of the white statue of the Mother. Hiroto was there, arguing with the woman who brought Omi here, whom Omi now believed to be a priestess of some sort. He wanted a blinding incantation. He could have it, the priestess said. However, his strength was incomparable to the others. Pointing to the Mother, the priestess said his only chance was to give himself up to the Mother, to beg for forgiveness for intimating her powers and ask for acceptance into her grace. Suspecting that the `Mother' was another source of damnation, Hiroto refused. If the Mother was a peace-loving being, why didn't she stop Michalik? Taking the incantation with him, he left.
 
The scene changed to a living room. Hiroto was on the floor, defenseless against the powers of Gau, Michalik and Raphael. Driven by an unknown power, they floated and hovered over the defeated boy. Not far away from him, Omi saw linen bandages and three crude figurines. Rising a dagger, Gau slit deep cruel wounds on Hiroto's wrists, spurting fresh hot blood. Michalik's hands stretched out over Hiroto, no doubt, using his occult force to immobilize the boy. On the other hand, Raphael was dissuading the others. Hiroto's death would result in a break in the coven. The witchdoctor in Thailand had warned them about the inevitable prize they had to pay, the disease of Madness.
 
Omi's ears pricked at the word `witchdoctor'. Could it be the witchdoctor whom Wei Kreuz barely escaped from? The very one who caused Aya's blindness?
 
As the scene faded away, Omi stood still, watching flashing images of Gau taunting Roberto before finishing him off, disguising his kill in a form of a heart attack. Then, there was Eva, the one who tried to shield the evil with her feeble shaman abilities, pleading Raphael to give himself up to the authorities. Mentally unstable with his own inner demons, he forfeited, giving in to the Madness that eventually led to Eva's untimely death. It took a considerable amount of policemen to apprehend him. The asylum was probably the best choice for him.
 
 
Watching the scene disintegrated, Omi assumed he returning to conscious. Turning around, he saw a young woman with sea green hair staring sickly at a mirror. It was Sara. Her eyes were red. The television was on in the background. Eva's death was all over the news. Omi could see her fears exploding in her. Her closest friends were all dead. She was all alone. In a half-crazed singsong fashion, she kept uttering that she was going to die. In her hand, she held a shaving razor. Instantaneously, Omi called out to her, screaming at the top of his lungs. Sara moved, startled, as if she heard him. At that moment, he realized why the others couldn't hear him. He was in the past. It had already happened!
 
 
 
 
Then, he also realized that he was now in the present, watching Sara. Watching? He gasped, suddenly realizing that she was still in danger. No sooner as he perceived it, Sara saw her reflection staring back at her in the mirror. She noticed something very wrong. Very dangerous. It was smiling wickedly at her, as if it knew what was going to happen to her. Using the razor, it lifted it towards its neck and made a deep slash across the neck. Omi panicked, stretching out his hand to reach her. Then, he heard the priestess' voice.
 
“Don't!” she cried. Her voice sounded a dimension away. “You are not ready!”
 
Sara touched her neck and looked at her fingers. They were heavily stained with blood. So was the razor. Gasping, she toppled to the floor. Her face tightened at the pain. Once again, Omi tried to touch her. This time, his fingers did not penetrate through her. There was still hope.
 
“No! No! No!” the priestess cried louder, though her voice was growing weaker. “The ritual is not completed!”
 
Omi didn't care. Too many people have died. If he could save one, that would be enough for him. Mustering his strength, Omi forced himself to get closer to Sara. He felt her hands. He could smell the blood on her. He could hear her painful cries. As if he was squeezing out of a rabbit's hole, he pushed himself out of the magic and almost landed on top of Sara.
 
 
 
“Sara!” He shouted to the girl. She was losing conscious fast. He tore off his sleeves, pausing for a second. He had his clothes back! With the sleeve, he wrapped it around her neck tightly, hoping that the pressure would slow down the bleeding.
 
“Stay with me, Sara. Stay with me.” He shook her roughly. Her eyes were fluttering. She murmured something nonsensical. Taking out his handphone, he dialed a number.
 
“Come on. Come on.” He hissed. “Hello? Ken! Omi here. Quick, get me an ambulance. I am with Sara Mikagami, the last of Kelly's surviving friends. She needs medicinal attention now!” Without letting Ken a chance to speak, Omi turned it off.
 
“Stay awake, Sara!” He shouted. “It's not your time yet!”
 
“Oh yes, it is!” laughed out a voice. “And it will be yours as well if you don't cooperate!”
 
“Gau!” Omi yelled. “Michalik! Where are you?”
 
“Come out, Kazuki Asataka! Or should I say, Omi Tsukiyono?” Omi flinched. “Come now outside and meet us. Playtime is over. Let's end it right here, right now!”
 
TO BE CONTINUED