Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Vengeance ❯ The Rise ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Weiss Kreuz or any of its characters and am not making any profit off of this story. This pleasure belongs to Koyasu Takehito and Project Weiss. I have no money, so suing me would only get you an old computer and a very angry cat.
 
Aya sat, staring at his sword, unmoving. When had everything gone down the drain like this?
He turned his gaze outside to the downpour that had started around noon the day before. It hadn't let up at all for their mission last night. The mission had been doomed from the beginning.
They had found next to no information on their target, a high ranking company CEO turned drug dealer that had recently dipped his greedy fingers into the business of human trafficking.
Then came the debacle with Omi. More of his memories had returned, nightmarish memories from what Aya gathered. He and Omi had been working in the shop, fending off the usual horde of girls vying for their attention while Ken and Yohji did reconnaissance, when Omi simply broke down. One of the girls had brushed against him and he screamed, grabbed her hand and snapped her wrist in one fluid motion, then ran through the back door and down into the mission room.
Luck had been with Aya that day, for not thirty seconds later, Yohji sauntered through the door, followed by Ken. Yohji had dealt with the sobbing girl while Aya went down to see to Omi. After the girl had left for the hospital, it had taken the three of them the better part of an hour to convince Omi that no one was going to harm him, and another to coax an explanation from him.
It hadn't been pretty.
The three oldest members of Weiss had wanted to scrap the mission right then and there, but Omi had refused, professing that he was fine now and that he'd do the mission alone if they backed out. In light of his ultimatum, they didn't have any choice but to continue.
His laugh was mirthless as he looked down at his bloodstained hand, partially washed off from the storm outside. No choice? Did he really believe that, or was he just trying to convince himself? Trying to find some reason for what had happened that night?
He clenched his hand into a fist and slammed it down on the table next to him. It could have worked! The plan still could have worked!
They had scraped together enough information to attempt the kill. They had had several feasible plans ready, and even Omi seemed to pull himself together.
The plan had been to infiltrate the target's high-rise office building after everyone else had gone home. They had learned that the target preferred to run his darker business at night so he couldn't be interrupted by his more vanilla coworkers. They were to sneak through the back door, which only had a single security camera and keypad to dissuade potential criminals. Defeating both would be child's play to Omi. Then they would ascend to the ninth floor, take out the few guards posted there and then take out the target himself.
And so Weiss had shown up at the building at the appointed time, ready to finish a job that should have taken less than a week but had been drawn out to more than three.
Everything had gone according to plan until they reached the fifth floor. Either Yohji had done shoddy reconnaissance, or they had been found out, for there were clearly triple the guards on that floor than there should have been. Ignoring prudent reasoning screaming that they should turn back and try again another day, they pressed on, attacking their foes with something akin to abandon.
They dispatched the guards on that floor with relative ease, but as they climbed the floors, more and more guards came at them. Ken took a bullet in the leg at the seventh floor and was forced to fall back, leaving the other three Weiss to finish their dark task.
At the eighth floor, they came to a standstill. There were simply too many
And the mission might still have been a success had Schwarz not appeared.
Aya took a delicate vase in his hand and hurled it at the wall across from him, taking some solace in the crash and the spray of shards it produced.
Damn Schwarz! Damn all of them to hell!
They were just starting to get the upper hand in their battle when Omi dropped his darts and collapsed to the ground, screaming and writhing in pain. He earned himself a bullet in his shoulder before Aya or Yohji could get over to him.
The next several minutes seemed like an eternity to Aya. He and Yohji fought desperately to get to Omi but were sent crashing to the floor, only realizing a few seconds later that an explosion had gone off somewhere above them. The roof above their heads started to crack, raining drywall down on them. Throughout the chaos, Omi's cries had fallen silent and he was nowhere to be found. He and Yohji had to run; there was no other way, though they were loath to leave their youngest teammate behind.
Aya nearly choked at that thought. It was possible that they had just left Omi's body behind.
As Aya and Yohji fought their way through the chaos of the guards trying to escape the now burning building, they were waylaid by two members of Schwarz.
“You're too late Weiss,” Schuldig smirked as he aimed his gun at Yohji's head. “Nagi's taken care of the brat and Farfarello is probably done with the soccer fanatic by now.”
“You will not escape this,” came Crawford's voice from off to the side. “You have outlived your usefulness and now your existence is unnecessary.” Crawford's nasty smile sent chills down Aya's spine. “I have seen your deaths tonight.”
This was all too much for Aya and he charged at the leader of Schwarz, sword leading, just as Yohji let his wire fly at Schuldig. But just as suddenly as they had come, the two Schwarz disappeared, leaving only Schuldig's nasal laugh behind. Aya and Yohji stared blankly at each other, but they both suddenly understood Crawford and Schuldig's intent as the floor beneath their feet shook dangerously. They hadn't wanted to kill Aya and Yohji. They had only wanted to stall them long enough for the rest of Weiss to have no chance of escaping the collapsing building. Giving them the news about their fallen teammates was only icing on the cake to Schwarz.
The next few moments seemed a blur to Aya as he and Yohji ran towards the staircases, but somewhere along the way, Aya lost Yohji in the commotion. He couldn't even spare a second to look for the blond as the building crumbled around him making him black out.
Aya had no idea how he had gotten to the safe house, he only remembered waking up on the floor in the living room, his entire body throbbing from the pain. He didn't know how long it took him to be able to move well enough to clean his sword from the blood. All he knew was that it was at least noon, though you couldn't tell from the cloud covered sky, and none of his teammates had come here, or even contacted him.
At first he had tried to deny it, but now as she sat against the wall, staring blankly at the rain beaten window, the only words that came to his mind were, “They're gone. They're all gone. And I'm the one to blame.”
He must have spent hours repeating that mantra when he finally realized that it would do him no good. He was responsible for this and he had to get vengeance for his fallen team. He picked up his sword and stood up, staggering a bit from the pain, the gleam in his eyes not quite sane.
“I'm coming Schwarz,” his steps did not falter now as he walked back out into the storm, “I'm coming and you can't stop me.”