Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Black Fires ❯ Donuts ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I own nothing except a couple of aku nekos.
KBDamn, I thought I'd never never start writing again. -Takes a sledgehammer to a large block of wood setting on her computer desk- Stupid Writer's Block!!
SoffiaKB also got banned from ff.net for a really bad story she wrote over two years ago.
KBShut up. Anyway, I'm back now . . . So I'm going to try and start off with a good chapter. ^.^ (But you'll have to forgive me, it's been a while since I've watched WHR)
I'm switching gears and adding plot^.^
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
“What if you had been seen!!”
“But he wasn't, so stop freaking out.”
“How do you know that, Yusuke?”
“I . . . .”
“I was seen, but I took care of it.”
“What's that supposed to mean!?!?”
“I took care of it.”
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
Yusuke stared at the door in Koenma's office as his smallest friend slipped through it. The koorime's last words rang in his ears. Coming from Hiei, the simple words “I took care of it,” could be deadly and usually meant trouble.
“Do you think he meant that the way it sounded?”
Yusuke turned to look at the toddler sitting behind the large oak desk. The Reikai Tantei just shrugged; considering that they were talking about Hiei, there was no telling.
“Did you see anyone?”
Brown eyes drifted closed as their owner tried to think back to the few hours before. It had just been Yusuke and Hiei in a fairly deserted alleyway, the other two members of the team had been half way across the city following a different youkai. It had been a rough fight, one that seemed to go on for hours, and yet only lasted a few seconds at the same time. Both of the demons were female and both had long teal hair; they were fighting in a way that prevented Yusuke from telling what their powers were. Something had happened; Yusuke wasn't sure what, but something had made Hiei go off. He had attacked with the Darkness Flame, and only seconds later had let off a large blast of energy; enough energy to stun a weak demon. Hiei had most likely sensed someone watching them, but try as he might Yusuke couldn't remember actually 'seeing' anyone.
It was strange, Yusuke had been under the impression that normal people couldn't see Reiki or Youki. If someone had seen the small fire demon's Youki then it couldn't have been anyone but a very spiritually aware person.
Hiei's victims had beenonly two of a large group that had broken through the Kakkai barrier net; Koenma had ordered the Reikai Tantei to find them and bring them back to the Reikai, dead or alive. It was a good thing he had added that last bit, seeing as Hiei had deep fried them both.
Now that he thought about it, Koenmastill wouldn't give them any information on the race or class of their targets; not that that was anything unusual. What was really worrying Yusuke was the fact that seconds after Hiei killed them, they vanished into thin air. It was like they had never really existed.
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
It was almost like she was sleeping. Karasuma's chest rose up and down in a steady rhythm. There were only two things that interrupted her peaceful sleep, the way that her body would twitch ever so slightly ever few seconds, and the look of pain etched on to her features.
In a room not far away from the couch on which Karasuma was laying the rest of the STN-J were getting briefed on their next target, the witch that had attacked the young Telepath.
“Ms. Karasuma was found laying next her car this morning so she must have been attack a little past midnight last night, that's when she left. She wasn't attacked directly, there was no one else on the camera outside Raven's Flat. I've reviewed all of the outdoor security cameras in the city, for the most part there isn't anything out of the ordinary. Except this one.” Michael's voice droned through the silence in the room as he brought up a footage from an alley a few miles away from the Flat.
Two women stood perfectly still in the center of the alley. Both were wearing clothing that seemed to come out of an ancient Japanese fairy tale and both had long teal hair. Puddles of muddy water were scattered all around the women and the ground was littered with trash. A group of trash cans, overflowing with unnamable substances stood in the corner of the camera's field-of-view. Nothing moved for several moments; if it hadn't been for the slight breeze that ruffled the women's long hair world could have been a movie on pause
.
“Uh, maybe they like pretending to be statues.” That was the most logical explanation that the rookie hunter could come up with. Michael just rolled her eyes, “Will you please let the tape finish.”
Two young boys suddenly appeared behind the women. The tallest of the two was wearing a green jumpsuit, his black hair slicked back with truckloads of gel. His smaller companion had spiky black hair and appeared to be wearing a black cloak. Words seemed to be exchanged between the two parties before both disappeared suddenly. Only seconds later the camera seemed to be momentarily engulfed in a deep black flame.
The clip ended and Michael started talking again but Robin couldn't hear him. Her eyes glazed over slightly and she stared at the last image of the clip that was being displayed on the screen in front of her. “Black fire,” she whispered in a voice too low for anyone to hear.
“It seems likely that this case is closely related to that witch you were hunting yesterday.” Robin's eyes refocused as Michael brought up an image of the witch from the warehouse, then images of the two women from the alley.
Amon nodded, rising from his chair, began walking towards the elevator. Without turning his head he called back, “Michael, keep looking for anything on the witch from yesterday, and the two from the alley. Also see if you can find anything on those two boys.”
“Okay.”
On the couch in the corner Karasuma continued to sleep fitfully. As Sakaki, Doujima and Robin walked past her trying to catch up with their leader a light red glow began to surround her body. A glow that no one could see.
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
“Did you have any luck?”
The redhead sighed as the rain beat down on the leaves all around him. Kurama sat in the branches of a large oak tree overlooking the forest. Silver droplets of rain caressed the lush leaves beside his face before sliding off and falling into the jungle of grass far below him. Several feet away his best friend propped against the trunk of the tree with his katana in his lap.
“None,” he answered in a stressed voice. “The youkai we were tracking just vanished in the breeze. Though I did hear about your mishap.” He offered the fire demon a lite smirk. “You didn't do any lasting damage I hope?”
Hiei merely frowned and to watch the rain fall.
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
“Hey Amon, I found a little something on one of those boys. I ran their pictures through all of the school databases in the area and something finally turned up.” Michael's voice cut through the silence on the radio in Amon's headset.
“What is it?” Came the sullen reply. Robin, who wasn't wearing a headset, turned to look at her partner in the drivers seat. The two were driving towards the alley in which the footage from the briefing had been shot.
“The one with the hair gel, his name is Yusuke Urameshi. He is a sophomore at Sarasaki High School. It looks like he doesn't attend class much though. He has more fights on his record than a professional boxer. He just looks like a punk to me, no mention of powers of any kind. I can't find him, or his friend, in any of the witch databases either.”
“What about the women?” Amon was as serious as ever and said only what was needed to get his question across. Robin could barely hear what the young hacker was telling her partner. She turned to the window beside her and watched as they drove through several near-deserted and messy streets. Her eyes narrowed as they passed an old man who obviously hadn't shaved in years. His hair was gray and his cloths were worn and dirty; he was sleeping in a box, like the one-eyed witch the team had recently hunted had.
“I can't find anything on them.” Michael's voice reached her eyes from a distant place and Robin's eyes were drawn to the phone in Amon's hands. What kind of witch could disappear that swiftly?
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
They had searched for the unknown witched all day and well into the night before finally calling it a day. The majority of the STN-J members had left for the night, and Karasuma had been moved to a hospital. The doctors had been suspicious that no explanation was given for the young woman's condition, but after treating past injuries of the witch hunters they knew better than to ask questions.
Michael sat alone in at his desk typing away far to fast for even the fastest eyes to follow his movements. He had a feeling this was going to be another long night for him, something about this case wasn't setting right in his mind. He had already made up his mind, he wasn't sleeping until he found 'something!' He had never felt this useless; in the past there had always been something he could find, someway he could help.
“Donut?” Michael jumped at the one word and turned to look into the green eyes of the youngest hunter. It wasn't uncommon for Robin to stay late and talk with him, especially when there was a hunt going the wrong way. A small smile worked it's way onto his lips.
“Thanks.” Robin sat a box of powdered donuts on his desk and left to make coffee.
Ever since that morning the dream had been bothering her. After a few hours the details had become fuzzy but she remembered the roses, and the two opposing sides. She remembered the witch from the day before and watching the two teams facing off in the alley before the alley was covered in black fire. Most of all, she remembered the fire. She remembered feeling the fire nip at her skin, feeling hot and cold at the same time. She remembered that when the fire had engulfed her own fire it had turned black.
Through all of this remembering the coffee maker dripped into a large pot, with only a small red glow in the corner to prove it was doing it's job. Robin sighed and poured two mugs of the steamy liquid before heading back to the office. She was going to help Michael find out what was going on; she knew that if she didn't, the fire would come back to her tonight.
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
Michael looked up briefly as Robin sat the coffee on his desk beside the untouched box of donuts. He nodded one before returning to the thousands of windows open on his desktop.
“Aren't you hungry?” Michael looked up again and smiled slightly. It wasn't that he wasn't hungry, he hadn't eaten all day so he would have loved some food, but something was scratching at the corner of his mind. He felt like there was something he wasn't seeing, like there was a door on the edge of his consciousness the was opened just the smallest crack. Just open enough to taunt him, but not enough to see what was inside. It made his stomach rather unsettled and frankly nauseous. He told the young craft-user this, but only the part about feeling sick.
Robin excepted this answer and sat down at Amon's desk to look over the files the older hunter had left there.
For a long time the only sound was the lightning fast clicking of Michael's fingers on the keyboard and the occasional shift of papers. Neither teen could say how long they had sat there silently in each other's company; seconds, minutes, and hours all seemed to melt into one. It was abnormally quiet but if either minded the silence they didn't say so. After a while Robin broke down and grabbed a donut from the box between them, she also noticed that her coffee had gotten cold long before.
She grabbed the two mugs, both were almost full of the cold murky brown substance that at one time had been decent coffee. Walking slowly she made her way past the clutter of Michael's desk and poured them both fresh coffee. As she was replacing the coffee pot in the machine she heard the clicking stop, and seconds later Michael called her name.
Robin skidded to a stop behind the hacker as he pulled a camera feed onto his screen.
“Found one of our mystery boys.” That was the only explanation Robin Sena needed to understand the video loop before her. It was the smaller boy, he suddenly appeared on the screen appeared to talk to someone above the camera before smirking and disappearing again. Then the film began a loop and the scene replayed.
Robin turned her attention back to Michael as he picked up the phone by his monitor and hit a button.
“Amon, found one of those boys in a park on the other side of town. I'm feeding you the address. He was there about twenty minutes ago, so if you hurry he should be somewhere in the area.” With that Michael hung up and started scanning all security cameras within half a mile of the park in question, he wasn't going to get away.
Robin looked at the loop one last time before it disappeared and was replaced by other, vacant, feeds from different cameras. Unconsciously she patted her pocket, when she felt her glasses under her finger tips she walked away from Michael's desk and towards the elevator.
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
Author's Note: I'm not going to write any actual romance into this story, so don't ask. If there is anything there, it's going to be subtle and implied. And before anyone asks, I will never, ever, write a shonen ai fic between Kurama and Hiei, I hate that pairing, they are just friends.
KBWell? How is it? Longer than the first two chapters right?
Saceria– I should hope so.
KB-Knocks her most obnoxious muse out with aforementioned sledgehammer- Please R+R

Converting /tmp/php0HvmMH to /dev/stdout