Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ Choices ❯ Choices ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Administrator sat back in his chair, and once again regarded the young man in front of him. Despite the treatment he'd received over the past 36 hours, the boy still managed to retain the sullen, tight-lipped attitude common to teenagers the world over. He was certain, though that with the repeated questioning and sleep deprivation they'd forced the teen to endure it would now take very little to push him past the breaking point.
 
“The home you were living in when you breached our system has been destroyed,” he began in heavily accented English. “Your family has already been notified of your death.”
 
He paused a moment to give the boy a moment to absorb that before continuing. “Your mother, they said, was particularly…what is the word…? Oh, yes, she was particularly distraught.”
 
If he had not already been watching the teen's face, he would have missed the flash of naked horror that broke through the mask of sulky indifference. Yes, he was very close to breaking, indeed. It was definitely time to apply the last bit of pressure, to try to salvage this potential resource. Changing tactics, the Administrator continued speaking. This time in Japanese, but slowly so the boy could understand.
 
"However, I am not without generosity."
 
The look of contempt he received was so predictable, it almost became comic. Smoothly ignoring both the look and the muttered English epithet that accompanied it, the Administrator responded with a mirthless smile that he knew only made his eyes seem colder.
 
"I am willing to allow you to live—if you agree to work for me. You would still disappear of course, and a set of suitably unidentifiable remains would be provided to the proper authorities to give the matter official closure.”
 
Reaching forward, the Administrator pushed a leather folio across the desk, within the boy's reach.
 
“The terms are simple enough. As you no longer exist outside these walls, you may not leave these walls; your compensation will be your room and board as well as a small stipend for personal belongings; and in exchange we do not return a set of identifiable remains to your home country.”
 
“If you wish,” he concluded, gesturing to the folio. “You may review the terms set forth in the contract I have just presented you however, I expect your answer in ten minutes.”
 
Just as sullen resentment had given way to contempt, contempt had given way to dull eyed acceptance. The young man swallowed audibly and shook his head, then directly addressed the Administrator for the first time.
 
“There's no need, sir,” he said hoarsely. “I accept.”
 
The response elicited another smile from the Administrator.
 
“Very well, Mr. Lee. Welcome to the STN-J.”