Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ I Promise You Freedom ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

I Promise You Freedom

~~~

"Be careful Inari," the woman called, watching the door close behind her son.

"Yeah, mom" came the typical reply, followed shortly by the sound of the door slamming. Sighing, the young woman turned back to her book. But every time she tried to read, her eyes burned and the symbol for "witch" filled her vision.

~~~

"You can go a little faster, you know."

"Well I don't want to go a little faster."

You're only doing 40."

"Who cares? Why are you in such a hurry?" Sakaki glanced over at the woman sitting beside him and grinned as her sparkling blue eyes met his. They always bickered like this over pointless issues, but it was all in good fun and there was no malice behind their teasing words.

"I want to go home, I'm hungry," she replied, turning and looking out the window at the late afternoon sun.

Sakaki laughed and peeked down at her swollen stomach. "I'm beginning to think that's from all the food you've been eating, not from the baby, Yurika."

With a cry of outrage, his wife reached over and slapped his leg. "Keep your eyes on the road Haruto, or you'll kill all three of us!"

Still laughing, Sakaki faced forwards once more, and immediately slammed on his brakes. His good arm reached over to steady his wife as a slender form darted out of the road and onto the sidewalk. "Stupid kid," he muttered. Then, raising his voice, "Watch it, twerp! You're gonna get yourself killed!"

But the child, who looked to be about 11 or 12 years old, merely stood and stared at them, huge eyes luminous in the fading light. Grunting, the hunter started the car again and drove off, this time keeping his eyes riveted on the road.

"Haruto…" Doujima said though truthfully, she could be called that no longer. Her eyes were wide and frightened as she too stared straight ahead.

"What?" came the worried reply; eyes flickered towards her pregnant form, deciding she was more important than any careless child.

"That boy…he…he looked…" She paused for a moment, and Sakaki waited patiently, knowing by now that his wife would let him know when she found the words.

"He looked like Michael…"

~~~

With a sigh, Nagira snuffed out his cigarette and pulled is lanky form to its feet. Grabbing his coat, he headed towards the door, but was stopped by an inquisitive Hanamura. "Going somewhere Mr. Nagira?"

"I'm gonna go check up on a client, see if she needs anything, then I'm going home. Why?" He gave the blonde woman an annoyed glance, which she promptly returned a thousand fold.

"Because we have clients coming in early tomorrow morning, and you have to be here! So don't be up and about until all hours of the morning!""

Shrugging, the tall man brushed by her and left the Nagira Law Offices building, getting in is car and heading towards a slightly more run-down part of the city. He whistled a little and double-checked his pocket for the tiny, square disk with its precious, illegal contents. He had promised it to Inari a week ago, and had only just gotten a hold of it now. He smiled at the thought of the 12-year-old boy and wished, for what must have been the millionth time, that the kid was his own son.

Ever since the boy's father had died (he was after all a witch, and witches were hunted), Nagira had become his father figure, checking up on him and bringing him little treats and surprises when he could. Shaking his head, Nagira wondered if maybe he hadn't spent as much time with Inari as he should have; the father had died before his son was old enough to remember him and besides his mother, he had no one in his life.

The side-burned man did not remember ever becoming this attached to one of his clients before. From the time when Amon's half-brother had started helping this particular family, nearly 20 years ago now, they had been in hiding. At first, the woman, who was also a witch, had been afraid only for her husband's life, but as time wore on, her concern spread to her own life and to that of their child's. Even though Solomon had stopped hunting them, the woman had chose to keep herself and Inari well out of sight.

Now, as her powers were flaring up once more and Inari's own were blooming, the hunt was beginning anew, and Nagira was worried.

Stepping down harder on the gas pedal, his flickered between the road and his surroundings, searching for any signs of trouble.

~~~

Robin stared out the window at the dying sun and sighed softly as its rays warmed her face. She rubbed her slender arms, for the room was chill, and turned back to the shared bed. Rumpled sheets and twisted blankets met her eye; the old habits impressed on her by the nuns at the convent had long since faded.

A willowy form was stretched out on top of the coverings, watching her with eyes that gleamed in the golden light. Smiling, she turned away from the small pane of glass and joined the other person on the bed, wrapping her arms around the other's body.

Night crept slowly over the small room as the two on the bed lay in each other's arms and fell into a light, restless slumber.

~~~

Well, here it is, my promised sequel! ^.^ Yes, I know the title is cheesy and unoriginal, but I was out of ideas, ok?! Plus, I was sitting in school doing all this so cut me some slack. ^-^

Sorry if this chapter seemed a little confusing, but it will get better, I promise! I have reasons for doing what I'm doing and you'll find out as the story progresses.

I love starting new stories, I really do. And I love finishing them even more (Heh-heh) but somehow, I have a feeling this is going to be a long one, kinda like "I Cannot Offer You Freedom" was. That was my longest fanfic ever and it was over 22,000 words! @_@ So anyways, I'm really exited about this, and I'm awaiting your feedback impatiently! ^_~

~SanoGirl