Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ Miracle ❯ Chapter I ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Miracle:

Chapter 1

~*~

The pain was overwhelming and all consuming; all that surrounded and filled her was this seemingly endless torture. She could feel the blood, warm and sticky, coating her skin and trickling to the ground, but she could make no move to try and stem the tide. It was all she could do so as not to choke on her own vomit, as she rolled over and emptied the contents of her stomach onto the dirty ground.

Robin's entire body screamed out in agony at the slight movement, and she rolled onto her back, wincing and groaning. Here and there, pieces of her black dress still clung to her slim frame, but most of it lay in tatters around her, along with the crushed remains of her glasses.

Silent tears now slid down the hunter's cheeks as the full awareness of what had happened to her, washed over her in a flood. She felt so…dirty.

Mustering up the last reserves of her strength, she reached down with one hand and tried to wipe away the blood from between her legs, but there was too much, and she was too weak. With a whimper, the blonde girl let her crimson hand drop back to the ground and allowed herself to sink once more into unconsciousness.

~*~

"Hey guys…where's Robin?" Michael's voice broke the silence of early morning at the STN-J and several faces turned to him. "She's usually not late like this."

"Dunno," Sakaki shrugged. "Maybe she's sick or something."

"Yeah, there's a first time for everything," Doujima chimed in.

"I'm not so sure…" Karasuma murmured. "If she were sick, she should have called in. It's not like Robin to just skip work like this. Did she seem okay last night, Michael?"

"I thought so," the hacker replied, his fingers stilling on the black keys of his computer. "But then again, she left pretty late and I really wasn't paying too much attention." He sounded sheepish now.

With a sigh, Karasuma shook her head and turned to Amon, who was standing by the window and staring out with a blank look on his face. He had not spoken a word to anyone as of yet.

"Maybe we should go check on her," Doujima offered.

"I think Amon should, he is her partner after all." The rookie hunter turned back to his computer, not waiting for a response from any of the others.

"I still find it hard to believe she's just sick," Michael added worriedly. "Now that I think of it, she left really late. Maybe something happened to her on her way home." His fingers remained suspended, motionless, above the keyboard.

"Robin's not exactly defenseless, ya know." Sakaki turned around once more and looked at the rest of the STN-J team. "She's got some pretty wicked powers and all…"

"But she still cannot control them as well as her potential suggests she could." Amon's deep voice joined the conversation for the first time that morning, and all heads swiveled to face his dark form. "Call her house, see if she's there and check with her roommate to see if she ever returned home last night." His face turned back to stare out the window once more, and Michael picked up the phone quickly.

After a few rings and a brief conversation, he set the phone back on its cradle and turned to the expectant hunters. Sadly, he shook his head, worry shining through his eyes, visible even behind the tinted glasses he wore. "She's not there, and Miss Touko said she never got back last night."

"Shit…" Sakaki breathed. "Maybe something did happen to her…"

"We have to go look for her!" Doujima exclaimed, jumping up and almost knocking over her chair in the process. "She could be hurt!"

"Calm down, Yurika," Karasuma said in an even tone. "We'll go look for Robin, just wait a minute."

"No, I'll go look for Robin." Amon spoke again as he brushed by his co-workers. "You can all do as you wish here, but I will find her myself." The elevator doors swished shut behind him, hiding his tall form from the dumbfounded stares of the others.

"Wha…what?" The brunette leaned back in his chair and let out his breath with a loud whoosh. "What's gotten into him?"

"Robin is his partner, after all."

"But still…don't you think he's acting a little…strange, Miho?" Doujima's voice sounded unsure and her eyes wavered with indecision.

But the older woman just shrugged. "When Amon says he's going to do something, he's going to do it. I know he'll find Robin if that's what he' truly set out to do."

Michael, who had been silent up until this point, now turned back to the glowing monitor before him and set his fingers on the keyboard. "We can track him!"

And as the others crowded around his computer, Michael brought up a detailed map of the city, and sure enough, a little red dot was moving along the roads at a quickened pace. "See, he's following Robin's route home," the hacker explained, tracing the route with his finger. Robin's apartment was marked off in blue and her route in yellow.

"He's not gonna be able to find anything if he doesn't slow down a bit," Sakaki muttered wryly, his eyes on the digits next to the red dot.

And sure enough, as if on cue, the dot slowed and the figures next to it dropped. Michael's fingers were silent one again, and he rested his chin on his hands, waiting. The others waited also, their breathing the only sound in the room.

At last, the dot stopped completely and did not move for several long minutes. "I think he's found her," Karasuma said needlessly, and she was met with nods from all around.

~*~

Slowing the car, Amon swept his eyes over the shadowed alleyways and darkened doorways as he went, glancing back towards the road every once and a while. His hands gripped the steering wheel in a white-knuckled grasp, and jaw was clenched tight.

Suddenly, his sharp eyes caught a small flicker of color as he passed a particularly dark aisle between to buildings. Slamming on the brakes, he stopped the car and got out, slamming the door behind him. His feet carried him quickly to the entrance, eyes taking a moment to adjust to the dim light.

And when they did, he immediately wished they hadn't.

"A…mon?" Robin's unsteady voice floated out of the shadows and into his ears.

Stepping forward unsurely, he peered closer, wanting to make sure that he was not being deceived by some trick of the light.

But sure enough, what his eyes had first shown him was true. There, amongst a pile of shredded black cloth and red blood lay Robin, her legs spread apart a little and her hands lying limply at her sides. What little clothing remained on her battered body had done nothing to shield her from the night's chill and her face sported several cuts and bruises as well.

Dropping to his knees by her side, Amon took off his overcoat and swept it over her battered form in one fluid motion. She stirred a little and turned to look up at him with shame-filled eyes. "Amon…don't…don't touch me," she whispered hoarsely, trying in vain to pull away from him. "I'm dirty…"

Snorting a little, Amon only leaned down and wrapped the edges of the black coat tighter around her body. "Don't try and tell me what to do," he told her, his voice hard.

Making a small sound of protest as he lifted her in his arms, Robin felt her head falling limply against his shoulder as she was brought out into the full sunlight. Blackness once more stole over her vision as she found herself being laid in the backseat of Amon's car; she vaguely remembered a door slamming and an engine revving up before she was out completely, and once more stolen by the realm of dreams.

~*~

Hi, SanoGirl here with another WHR fic! ^.^ I've gotten a few requests from people to do an Amon/Robin story once I was finished with my Michael/Robin one. Now, I realize I'm not finished with my "Freedom" Trilogy yet, but I have a nasty habit of starting new fics before finishing the old ones. (Which is probably why I have such a back up of work to do on my 7 or so fics, but hey! That's cool.)

Anyways, reviews, comments, or feedback would be nice. Second chapter will hopefully be a little longer then this one!

~SanoGirl

P.S. Oh, and if someone is willing to beta this story for me, I would be much obliged. Please, all that I ask is that you have some basic knowledge of grammar, since mine is very poor, and a willingness to read these chapters when you get them. I like to post my work ASAP after I've finished writing it, so it would be nice if my beta could maybe get them back within, say, the next two days or so… Sorry if this sounds demanding, but if someone is up to it, I will be forever in your debt! ^-^