Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ Miracle ❯ Chapter III ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Miracle:

Chapter 3

~*~

"Miss Karasuma…Miss Karasuma!"

Mumbling something unintelligible, Karasuma stirred and tried to open her eyes. Immediately after succeeding, she shut them once more, for even in the dim alley, it was too bright. Her head pounded as if it had been hit with a lead weight, and her eyes felt as if they were going to burst from their sockets. Never had she had such a headache; she could barely even hear herself think over the pounding in her ears.

"Oh good, you're awake, Miss Karasuma!" Sakaki's voice floated through her cloud of pain and she moaned when the sound of his words buzzed in her ears like a million hornets. "What happened?"

Finally attempting to open her eyes again, the brunette managed to squint up at her rookie partner, looming worriedly over her. She could feel his strong arms supporting her and suddenly remembered why she had such a headache.

"I think…I think I'm going to be sick…" she whispered and clapped a hand to her mouth.

With a strangled sound, Sakaki sat her all the way up, letting her empty the contents of her stomach noisily. Amon stood nearby, watching everything impassively, his arms crossed over his chest.

Trembling a little, Karasuma sat back, then pushed away Sakaki's hands irritably. "I'm fine," she told him as the world dipped beneath her, even while sitting.

"Of course," he replied with a wry smile.

Putting her head in her hands, the woman took a few deep breaths to calm her trembles and to let the events of before refresh themselves in her aching head.

She remembered coming here with Amon and Sakaki…to the site of Robin's rape…yes, that was it. And she had touched the ground, to feel the emotions, just like any other day, and then…and then…

Eyes widening, Karasuma stared at the ground, the sensations from earlier flooding her consciousness once more. Her trembling returned as she felt herself being swept away on the tide, the emotions coursing through her body were so strong, and so varied…everything was spinning around her again.

"Miss Karasuma!"

Sakaki's shout brought her back and she blinked, finally breaking free from her imprisonment. "It's pain…like I've never felt before…" she managed to get out. "And fear…terror, but different. There's…something else to it." She stopped here and frowned. "And if that in itself weren't disturbing enough, I can also feel an anger, a sort of hatred almost, and an overwhelming sadness. The grief here is unbearable." Her head fell to her hands once again.

"Whoa, now that's confusing!" Sakaki exclaimed, sitting back on his haunches, still squatting by the older woman, in case she decided to pass out again.

"Anger?" Amon asked.

"Yes…anger…but there is a wrongness about all this that screams of deceit and betrayal. Something is not right." Her frown deepened and concentration creases appeared on her forehead.

"Not right? Huh?" Thoroughly confused, Sakaki sat down all the way and crossed his legs, scratching his head.

His head turned at the slight rustling noise, and he found Amon looking around the alleyway, searching for any trace of the rapist. His sharp eyes took in the reddish-brown bloodstains and the crushed remains of her glasses lenses. Fragments of black material were scattered all over, and yet, he saw no sign of a real struggle, no burn marks or char anywhere.

"Robin was right," he said suddenly. "She would have at least attempted to use her Craft, had she been able."

Sakaki nodded, his eyes darting between the two forms of his co-workers. "Well, what are we gonna do now?"

"Nothing," Amon replied emotionlessly. "Go back to the Flat and see what Michael has found. There is nothing else of use here."

Karasuma rose unsteadily to her feet, supported by Sakaki, who told her he would drive her back to Raven's Flat and come back for his motorcycle later. Amon swept out of the alleyway before them, his face impassive, but his eyes stormy. Karasuma was correct…something was definitely not right here.

~*~

Soft footsteps, and a door closeing awakened her, and Robin's eyes fluttered open to take in the view of a dull, dim ceiling. Her groggy mind was still flooded with images from her nightmares, and her senses were still overwhelmed by the feeling of total loss and helplessness that she had felt upon that night. Most of the soreness was gone, but an utter sense of despair and misery now took its place.

She had been raped, her virginity taken, and her body discarded like a used piece of paper. Was nothing sacred anymore?! This wasn't supposed to happen to her! Tears formed at the corners of her eyes as her swiftly awakening mind finally realized the gravity of what had happened.

The sense of dirtiness and worthlessness returned full force now, and she rolled over, burying her face in the cushion of Amon's couch. Her mind was spiraling rapidly down into the pits of despair, and she felt as if things could never be right again. It was supposed to be sacred, the first time one slept with a man; a blessed union between married people. But hers had been stolen from her by rough, uncaring hands and a deceitful, powerful person.

Powerful…yes…for she had been unable to use her Craft. Her body had failed her and so had her Craft. What was there left for her, now? Even her friends had failed her, for no one had come to her aid, no one had saved her. Amon hadn't been there…

Her stomach churned as sensations of that night washed over her in a tidal wave of pain, fear, and pure terror. Amon hadn't protected her!

Her memories would not leave her alone, no matter what she did.

Amon hadn't been there!

She was dirty now, unfit to serve God as she had done before. Amon…

"Robin."

Startled, she look up at him, wild-eyed, and instinctively curled up in a ball upon herself. "Wh-what do you want?" Just having him look at her sent chills through her body; every slight movement made her tremble as she relived her rape a thousand times over in her head.

"I'm taking you to a doctor," he replied, shrugging into his overcoat. The girl had slept for the past two days, and in that time, he had replaced his coat with a more suitable blanket. Now, as she sat up, the blanket slid from her shoulders and pooled around her waist.

Gasping, she pulled it back around her barely clothed body and watched as Amon turned and picked up a stack of folded clothing from a chair. "Put these on," he told her, setting the clothes on the small table by the couch. "Doujima sent them over for you."

Robin nodded and waited until the older hunter had left the room before she even made the slightest movement to take the clothes. Even though Amon had left, and shut the door firmly behind himself, Robin still changed beneath the security of the blanket; afraid he might walk in upon her and some part of her body would be revealed.

All the while, she fought down the tremors of revulsion that rose within her; she still felt dirty, even this long after the deed was done. Just how long was I asleep for…?

Fully clothed once more, Robin gathered her courage and rose from the couch, her feet carrying her to the kitchen door where Amon had exited the room. Quietly, and with great hesitance, she pushed open the oak panel and saw a table with a plate of food before her. "Eat quickly, so that we may go."

The man's voice startled her, and she immediately crossed her arms over her chest. Amon stepped away from the counter on the opposite side of the room and motioned towards the still steaming food.

Taking a deep breath to calm herself, Robin sat down and immediately was tempted by the smells of the breakfast that had been prepared for her. She was ravenous. "How…how long was I asleep?" she asked softly.

"Two days," Amon replied, striding across the room to stand across the table from her.

Nodding in response, Robin lifted the chopsticks to her mouth and within minutes the food was gone. Giving her a look that could be considered one of satisfaction, had Amon actually been one to show emotion, the dark man left the table and held the door open, obviously meaning for Robin to head back out into the main room.

Shuddering as her arm brushed his body when she walked by, Robin bit her lip to keep from crying out.

Sensing this, Amon made no unnecessary movement, and waited until she was fully out of his way before closing the door once again. He strode past her and out the front door, knowing she would follow without him having to tell her.

Slipping into the bright pink jacket Doujima had sent, Robin did follow the taller man and waited while he closed and locked the plain wooden door of his apartment. She listened to her softer footsteps echoing his heavier ones as they descended the stairwell, presumably going to the parking garage beneath the building.

Upon discovering her hunch was correct, Robin followed Amon to his black car and slipped inside as he held the door open for her, dark eyes boring into her battered form as she settled herself into the leather seat. Slamming Robin's door, then going around and opening his own, Amon got in also and started the engine.

Soon, the two hunters were speeding down the highway towards, in Robin's mind at least, an unknown destination. In all her time in Japan, she had only had to go see a doctor once, and she had gone to the hospital; the cold that had infested her body hadn't been even half as bad as this.

About twenty minutes later, the car turned one final time and screeched to a halt in a parking lot outside a rather small, drab looking building. In a dream-like state, Robin stepped out of the car, noting to herself that all doctor's offices seemed to be boring, at least on the outside. They always came in shades of brown and gray, adorned by dark wood and metal.

Once more she fell in step slightly behind Amon, her mind still on thoughts of doctor's offices. Even that was better then thinking of…

She almost bumped into Amon's s broad back as she stopped suddenly, turning to face her, eyes unfathomably deep and dark. "Robin?" he asked, more of a question in his tone.

Shaking her head a little and rubbing her eyes, Robin glanced back up at him again.

As she did so, the dark hunter saw the clearing of her eyes and the straightening of her posture. What the hell was that? Shaking his own head to rid himself of unwanted thoughts, he turned once more and pushed open the clear glass door. What did I just do? More importantly…why?

Disturbed even more now because of these new questions invading his mind, Amon's pace slowed a little and the creases on his brow deepened considerably.

"Mr. Amon?"

Glancing up, Amon found himself and Robin standing before the receptionist's desk. "We're here to so Dr. Nakano," he replied, recovering quickly, and somehow managing to maintain his usual emotionless tone. But just barely.

"Ok, please sit down; the doctor's a little behind schedule today, so it might be a bit of a wait before he can get to you."

Nodding, but hiding his disapproval, Amon turned sharply and strode across the brightly lit room, sitting himself down in one of the uncomfortable waiting room chairs in a swirl of black fabric. Robin, however, did not sit down immediately. She wander aimlessly around the slightly crowded room, her fingertips scanning the covers of the many magazines scattered all over every available surface.

They always seemed to be out of date, and Amon had learned long ago to not even bother looking at them. Some of them seemed familiar, and he could have sworn he had read a few of them on previous visits…a few years ago.

Not that he would ever admit it, who would think the great Amon ever got sick, much less went to a doctor.

But his thoughts were interrupted as Robin sat down next to him, taking one of the very few empty chairs left in the room. Her slim hands held a magazine, and flipped open to a page that one finger had been marking. Amon's eyes slid unconsciously to the cover, and he caught a glimpse of one of the brightly colored headlines that dotted the glossy surface.

"Rape: A Survivor's Story."

A sharp intake of breath accompanied his eyes as they moved to her and she met his wondering look with an ashamed look of her own. Her eyes dropped and the shameful look on her face only seemed to intensify.

"Don't look away," Amon told her, voice a little more intense then he had intended to make it.

Her eyes flickered towards his face and he repeated his command again, in what he hoped was a gentler voice. Giving a barely perceptible nod of her head, Robin raised it a little more and tried to meet his stormy gaze head-on. A hint of what could almost be called approval kindled in Amon's eyes, before Robin's eyes had fallen again.

Frowning, the other hunter noticed her shaking shoulders and her teeth digging ridges in her bottom lip. It seemed it was going to take quite a bit more work than he had originally intended…

"Mr. Amon?" A trim, pretty nurse stepped into the noisy room, raising her voice slightly to be heard over the din of voices.

Standing up, his overcoat billowing out behind him, Amon went to her and felt, rather then saw, Robin's timid presence behind him. The three left the noise and crowd, walking down a quiet hallway and eventually entering a white, sterile-looking room. "Dr. Nakano will be with you shortly," the nurse said. And with one last glance at Amon, she left, her cheeks a little flushed.

Ignoring what the nurse had hoped he'd missed, Amon seated himself once more, this time in the chair across from the examining table, his eyes scanning the room and its instruments, noting the whiteness of it all and the almost overwhelming sterile smell.

"Amon…I'm scared…" Robin's hesitant whisper came from the direction of the table, and he turned, taking in her slender form with questioning eyes. "What if…what if-"

But before she could finish her statement, or before Amon could come up with some soothing words, the door opened and a young, tall doctor stepped into the room, running his fingers agitatedly through short, reddish-brown hair. "Mr. Amon?" he asked, extending a hand to the hunter and Seed.

Amon took it and nodded. Nakano turned and greeted Robin in much the same way, extending his hand a second time and watching as she took it slowly, her body tensing up. Hiding his quizzical look for now, the 27-year-old man washed his hands and sat down upon the rolling stool which was the only other 'chair' or sorts in the room besides Amon's.

"So," he began, spreading his hands, "what seems to be the problem?"

Glancing over at Robin, and seeing her mouth firmly shut and her teeth once again worrying her lower lip, Amon sighed and proceeded to relate the story as quickly and plainly as he could, shying at the thought of going into the particulars, most of which he did not know. Eyes widening a little, Dr. Nakano listened to the whole thing, occasionally nodding his head and turning dark brown eyes upon Robin, who refused to look at either of the two men.

He too sighed when the other man had finished and turned on his stool to face the trembling girl upon his table. One hand reached towards a box of plastic gloves sitting on the table that held the rest of his instruments and things, and the other pushed up his sleeve. "I'm sorry, Robin, but I'm going to have to take a look and make sure everything's alright. Then, we're going to have to do a few tests to confirm that you haven't contracted any STDs or that you haven't gotten pregnant.

God forbid that you have, the young doctor thought to himself, even as Amon hoped the same thing.

Swallowing hard, and shooting a glance at Amon, Robin stood and began to slip out of the pink jacket. With a muttered "Excuse me," the dark hunter rose and slipped from the room, closing the door firmly behind him. It would only make things worse for Robin if he remained in there while the testing was being done; it was bad enough the only doctor he had been able to schedule was a male one. No use adding insult to injury.

His feet carried him back to the waiting room, and his eyes fell upon Robin's discarded magazine. Curiosity getting the better of him, for once, he sat and flipped through the magazine until he came to the rape article, eyes scanning the words and brain taking note of everything he read.

~*~

"It's alright, Robin. I'm not going to hurt you."

Dr. Nakano's voice was kindly and soothing in her ears, and Robin thought it funny that those were the very same words Amon had said to her. But even so, she still clutched at the table sides in panic when his hands touched her, and every muscle in her body seemed to tense and spasm.

"Please, try and relax a little, if you can." The young doctor's voice was still soothing, and very patient, and Robin tried to do her best to comply with his wishes.

Chewing on her tongue to hold back both the sobs and the quiet screams that rose within her, the Craft User tried to divert her mind to other topics and other thoughts then the hands probing her rather uncomfortably. She allowed her mind to wander to Amon, and as she did so, a small smile touched her lips. Amon…

But a sudden jolt of pain shot up from her stomach and she couldn't stifle the cry this time.

"Forgive me," Dr. Nakano apologized, glancing up at her. "I should have warned you beforehand that this might hurt a little."

Nodding, Robin relaxed from her half-raised position and tried to settle herself once more. It was a long hour and a half.

~*~

"Mr. Amon?…Mr. Amon!"

Startled a little, Amon woke from his dozing state with a jump and gave Dr. Nakano a disoriented look before he remembered where he was. Standing swiftly, and doing his best to cover up his lapse in attention, the dark hunter gave the doctor an expectant look.

Motioning for Amon to follow him, the chocolate-eyed man took him back down the quiet hallway until they were standing outside of the door to Robin's room. "She's inside getting changed again," the doctor explained.

Amon nodded. "Well?"

"Oh! Forgive me!" This time it was the young doctor's turn to jump. He sighed, before raising his dark eyes to meet Amon's own. "I'm sorry, Mr. Amon…"

"Sorry for what?! What is it?!" Amon's voice took on a slightly demanding tone and his stance shifted ever so slightly into an agitated, almost battle-ready one.

"She's pregnant," Nakano replied in a soft voice. "She tested negative for STDs, but in nine months, Robin is going to be a mother."