Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ Miracle ❯ Chapter VI ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Miracle:

Chapter 6

---

Robin woke to bright sunshine painting fire and starbursts on the insides of her eyelids. As she sat up in bed and felt the warm sunbeams slide over her pale skin, she felt as if the sunny day outside was mocking her, mocking her feelings and predicament. The bars of light that slipped through the blinds striped her skin with gold and splashed garish color over the blankets that covered her lower half.

It was only a few days ago that she had been assaulted and raped by…someone…someone with extraordinary power. What little she could recall about the incident only gave her a shadowy picture of a tall man with a strange aura about him. Something about him had felt different, as if he were not truly the person he pretended to be, as if he were wrapped in someone else's cloak.

And his power…what a fearful combination of brute strength and magic. He was a Craft User, Robin could tell that right away, but what had scared her the most was that her Craft had not responded to her frantic calls for usage. She had tried and tried multiple times throughout the stages of her rape, but nothing had ever happened. It was as if there were a barrier between her and the deep pool of the Craft inside her that kept her from accessing her power.

Shuddering and whimpering slightly, the blonde girl brought her knees up to her chest and wrapped her arms tightly around them, resting her head on her forearms. The past few days had been a whirlwind of emotionally exhausting experiences and confusing mental disturbances. The physical ache was almost gone by now, and she was glad for that, but there remained a part of her mind that still questioned things.

Should she really be alive after what had happened to her? She was a dirty, dirty person now and dirty people were the spawn of the Devil. She had been raised to believe that her entire life, raised to believe that sex was something sacred shared between a husband and wife after marriage. But her rights had been violated and she was now unsacred. Was it right that she continued to live? Should her life be forfeit to pay for the unspeakable sin that now weighed on her soul?

The girl did not blame the child, nor hate it. It wasn't the child's fault that it had been created by an illegal act and by unmarried parents. No, she could never hate an innocent being…but could she give it the love and care it would need? She guessed the love would come easy enough, for how could a mother hate her own child, but the care was another story entirely.

Silent tears fell onto her skin, where the bruises from the assault were now fading. Why had this been done to her? And who would do such a thing? Whoever her rapist had been had used her, impregnated her, and thrown her away. Only someone without a conscience would do something this terrible. But…why her? Why?

The sun still warmed her skin and Robin felt like screaming at it's mocking light. How could the world go on living as it did when she was here all alone and defiled with a baby that would soon be hers, sometime before the next year was out.

I'm only 15! I can't have a baby! Disparaging thoughts such as these swirled in her frantic mind as the tears fell ever faster. Why me, God? What have I done to deserve this? Is this some sort of punishment for a sin I committed? Sitting up, she slipped one hand down to rest on the still flat planes of her lower stomach. Soon, there would be a growing bulge there, visible proof of her humiliation and shame; something for the entire world to see and sneer at. There would be whispering, behind carefully raised hands, of how disgusting it was that girls her age would do those sorts of things. And somehow, somehow, the Craft User knew those words and looks would hurt worse then the physical rape ever had.

And along with the shame and humiliation would come a horrible sense of aloneness. Even now, the very first stages of an overwhelming isolation were stealing over her. After they knew what had happened, no one would want her, least of all her baby. Normal people didn't like those who were dirty and normal people only loved their own children, not one whose father was unknown.

What would the others at the STN-J think of her? Would they look at her with pity and disgust in their eyes, too? Would they also reject her and turn her away after seeing the taint that now lay on her skin. She didn't think she could stand it if Michael and the others turned away from her-they had been her only friends in a long time and the only ones she could depend on, at least at work.

Yes, it would cut her deeply to see their looks of disgust and repulsion. Maybe…maybe she just shouldn't go to work…yes, that was it. She would just stay at home, locked away in her room, where no one could see her or the proof of her shame. She could hide away here, alone, until-

A rather loud, almost rude knock at her door cut off that train of thought right there. Jumping, Robin immediately lay back down and pulled the covers over her head, curling into a ball beneath them. Was someone here to rape her again? Was she going to be attacked just as on that night? Trembling, she bit her lip and squeezed her eyes shut as the knocking came again, this time more persistent in sound.

The soft sound of an exasperated sigh reached her ears. "Robin? I know you're there. Answer me! Robin!"

Eyes flying open once again, Robin sat up quickly, bringing the blankets with her and using them to cover her chest. "A-Amon?" she asked, relieved that she was safe from another assault.

"I'm coming in." The warning came several seconds before the door actually opened, as if giving her time to prepare herself before another human's presence came into the room. There was no question of whether he could enter or not, Amon did just what he pleased and there was no stopping him, but the blonde haired hunter was grateful for his pause.

Frowning the moment he stepped into the room, Amon's eyes immediately sought Robin's and narrowed considerably when she let hers drop, unable to meet his gaze.

She still trembled a little when his eyes fell upon her. Even though he was someone she knew and trusted, the hands that clutched the blankets too tightly to her chest were white-knuckled and shaking. Whenever he shifted his stance, as if to move one way or the other, she almost seemed to shrink back a little, as if trying to hide herself among the pillows and blankets.

"Why….why are you here?" The question came after several moments of soft silence, and its asker dreaded the answer.

"I've come to pick you up, we're going to the STN-J. There's a backlog of hunts and-"

"Work?!" The Craft User's voice held a note of panic as her head rose and twin emerald eyes flashed wild and frightened.

"Yes, work." Amon sounded exasperated again as he stepped forward, as if coming to the side of her bed, then changed his mind and stepped towards the window instead. With a grunt, he opened the blinds wide and only squinted a little when the bright sunlight flooded in. "Keep the blinds open. It'll only make things worse to sit in here in the dark." He turned back to Robin and met her eyes once again, his own gaze seeming to have softened a little so that this time, the girl felt more comfortable holding his stare.

Something flickered in the depths of those dark eyes, something hard to see that shimmered faintly in the backlight from the sun. But just as Robin leaned in a little to try and get a closer look, Amon turned away abruptly. "Get dressed and be ready in fifteen minutes." Saying no more, he left the room, closing the door none too gently behind him.

Bewildered, Robin merely stared at the door for many long moments after it had closed. Still clutching the blankets to her chest, she allowed herself to fall back onto the bed and let out her breath in a loud whoosh. Was it just her, or had she seen a little bit of…concern in his eyes, maybe?

Shaking her head and sending blonde locks flying, the witch hunter finally let her feet slip down to the floor and rose out of bed for the first time since Amon had brought her home last night. Her stomach protested loudly and she grimaced. Hopefully, he would let her have something to eat before she left with him for the STN-J office.

---

Rubbing tired eyes lightly, Amon turned away from the stove in Touko's tiny kitchen and set a plate of food on the table. Before she had rushed out the door, the brown haired woman had informed him that the pot on the stove held Robin's breakfast and that all he had to do was warm it.

In all honesty, the dark hunter was glad the woman had left; it would have only made things twice as awkward to have her around. She was a kind, smart woman, and very generous for taking Robin in, but she also had a past history with Amon that would only complicate things. For while they could never have rightly been called lovers, Amon would prefer it if things such as their past connections would remain buried and kept from Robin's knowledge. He didn't know for sure, but still…

Lost in his dark thoughts, he didn't notice the slender, blonde form until it sat down at the table near him. Pushing a lock of raven hair out of his face he grunted and told her to eat fast, that they didn't want to be late. Nodding silently, Robin ate quickly and took her dishes to the sink, rinsing them and leaving them on the counter to dry.

Approaching Amon, she stopped a few feet away and nodded to him, signaling that she was ready to go.

Moments later, she locked the front door behind the two of them and followed her co-worker down the steps and out to his black car, parked outside.

Opening the door for her, Amon took careful note of how she still shied away a little at the closeness of their bodies, even fully clothed and still a few inches away. However, he wisely said nothing and merely went around to his side of the car, keeping his face impassive, which wasn't too hard since he did exactly that nearly every day of his life.

The soft purr of the engine and the muffled sounds of traffic were the only noises to be heard in the interior of the car. Amon's eyes seemed to be dividing their time between the road and Robin, darting back and forth every other minute or so as if doing a routine check.

The dark irises took in everything they saw, carefully logging it away for future reference. He was used to this sort of thing, since he did it everyday for his job, but for some reason this seemed more…important. It took top priority over everything else, so much in fact, that most of his hunts were shoved to the back of his consciousness.

The thing he took note of most however, was her stomach and her hands. It was as if the two were magnetically attracted to each other, for every time he looked over, there they were, resting lightly upon the blond girl's lower stomach. The slim fingers moved every so often to lightly caress the spot where, in several months time, the bulge of the baby growing inside of her would be visible. Dragging his eyes away from what must have been his fifth check-up in the past two minutes, Amon grimaced.

The silence stretched on and on, filling the car with a soundlessness that was louder then any conversation could be. Getting caught in a rather large traffic jam did not help matters any, and soon the dark hunter was drumming his fingers on the steering wheel impatiently.

His sidelong glance once more took in the blond Craft User and once more noticed the placement of her hands.

Surprising even himself, Amon turned back to look out at the seemingly endless line of cars in front of them and said, "You could always get an abortion, you know."

With a startled gasp, Robin's head turned sharply to stare at the dark hunter. "No!"

Turning to her and raising one eyebrow, Amon said nothing and waited for the explanation he knew would be coming.

"I could never take an innocent life! I don't care if this child is illegitimate, I could never kill it!" She turned away and stared out the window at the rapidly darkening sky. "No…I will keep it…" Her voice was distant, with a misty undertone and Amon found himself feeling almost a little prideful.

"Good," was all he said, before shifting the car's gear and speeding up as traffic began to move again. He himself really did not approve of abortion, not for religious reasons of course, but for his own personal motives, and supported the young girl's choice.

Now it was Robin's turn to give Amon a sidelong glance. She had somehow managed to choke back her startled exclamation at his praise, instead settling for a surprised look. Had he just…shown approval towards her? Had he just said something good about what she had done? This, coming from a man who, up until now, had considered her nothing more then a bother, a tagalong. Or…so it had seemed…

Feeling a little of the weight on her chest lift, Robin leaned back in the seat with the beginnings of a tiny smile dancing around the corners of her mouth. Maybe she had gotten through to him after all.

---

YES! Chapter 6 is done much, much faster then I thought it would be! This is partially due to my beta, Kelli, and to Finchgirl! So, here's my chapterly 'thank-you!' to both of them.

Ok, I received a comment on how Robin knowing she was pregnant two days after her rape is unrealistic; that it takes more time then that to figure out one is going to have a baby. My response is: I know this. As I have said before, this takes place years in the future (as shown from the show) so obviously the technology is a little more advanced. I have commented on this before, and it just makes things flow better in the story. I'm sorry if this seems unrealistic in 'real life' but obviously, this is not real life, it is fanfiction.

My only other real note for this chapter is: AMON IS GETTING WAY OUT OF HAND! I keep having to tweak his personality so as to warm him up to Robin, and it's driving me crazy! I know everyone hates it when characters are OOC but it's going to have to happen sooner or later…

Other then that, happy reading and please R&R!

~SanoGirl