Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ Miracle ❯ Chapter IX ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Miracle:

Chapter 9

 

---

 

The door opened with a soft squeak and Amon stepped into the darkened room with an annoyed look on his usually stony face. Not that he cared if the person sleeping inside was awakened, it was just that the squeaking of the slightly rusty hinges was irritating.

 

Nagira lay sprawled out on the floor before him, face looking pale and drawn. Gritting his teeth a little, Amon flicked on the lights and dragged his comatose brother into a sitting position, leaning against the couch. This was the third day in a row he had found the older man like this.

 

And yet, each time he found Nagira, the man did not have a hangover and neither did he complain of one. It was always a nauseous feeling that rose from the pits of his stomach to grip his entire being in iron jaws. A cold sweat would break out on the man's skin and his arms and legs would shake. Not only that, but he complained of strange dreams and half formed images that haunted his sleep like demons.

 

Now, the shadows of those nightmares showed in his eyes as they fluttered open, a small groan issuing forth as they did so.

 

Moving away, Amon opened the dusty blinds at the windows. While to outsiders, it may have seemed that the dark hunter was playing the role of a dutiful brother; both siblings knew he only came because Nagira was his only source of information for Robin's baby. They both knew, had she not been a factor, none of this would be happening. But as with everything else in their relationship, it was a mutual agreement between them, no brotherly love lost, but none gained either.

 

"Shit…not again…." the older man muttered, clutching his head. "They keep getting worse every night…"

 

Grunting in response, Amon made as if to head for the door. "Go to a doctor," he stated flatly.

 

"No…" came the bleary response. "I don't think he can help me…it's as if…as if I'm forgetting something I should remember. Something terrible. I see it every night when I dream and it nearly keeps me awake with its horror…yet, I never remember it when I wake up."

 

Amon snorted. "Sounds the crazed ravings of a drunkard to me."

 

"I haven't touched the stuff in days. I'm surprisingly sober." Staggering to his feet, the lanky man stretched and rubbed at his stomach with one hand. "I think I'll skip work today…"

 

Eyes emotionless, Amon merely nodded and left the dingy apartment, shutting the door firmly behind him. It did not matter to him if his half brother did not go to work; all he cared about was finding a home for Robin's baby. The tall hunter automatically assumed she would want to give it up; he did not even pause for a moment to wonder about her wanting to keep it. It was out of the question in his mind.

 

---

 

The experimental lab that Dr. Nakano headed was in a state of panic. If they did not do something fast, their project of a lifetime was about to blow up in their faces. Men in white lab coats scurried in all directions, fearing the wrath of the young doctor, but fearing the wrath of Zaizen even more.

 

Pacing along the cold steel floor, the young doctor hid his frustration and rage behind a mask of cool professionalism. He would not let this deter him and ruin what he had worked on for years. This was his project! The ultimate opportunity!

 

Another doctor approached him timidly, waiting until chocolate eyes rose to his form before speaking. "Apparently things haven't changed…in fact, they're getting worse…"

 

Silence…then…

 

"But how could this happen?!" Two fists slammed down on the table, causing not only the people sitting at it to jump, but the information on the computer screens as well. Shocked, the other doctor took a step back.

 

"We did the best we could, sir! The drug should have been perfect!"

 

"Well it's obviously not! He's beginning to remember!"

 

Mustering up his courage, a young intern piped up, "And it's affecting his physical health as well, sir!"

 

This seemed to be the last straw for the young project head, and he stormed over to the computer in a rage more fierce than any hurricane. The intern pointed to some information being displayed on his screen and conversed in low terms with Dr. Nakano, who barely managed to keep his own voice below a bellowing thunder.

 

"Nausea?! Nightmares?! What the hell is all of this?!" he waved one long-fingered hand at the computer screen, nearly smacking the intern in the process.

 

"W-we're not sure, sir, but we're working on it! Already, we have field teams--"

 

"I don't want to hear 'We're working on it!' I want results! And I want them soon or you'll be the ones with nightmares!"

 

He stormed out of the room, snarling to himself. That drug should have been perfect! He had worked on that for years, wasting the prime of his life in a chilly, metallic lab trying to gain the promotion of a lifetime. If things went wrong at this stage of the game…well…the prime of his life would also be the end of his life.

 

It had taken many long hours of testing to finally come up with the perfect mix of drugs and stimulants to control the complex being that was the human body. By hijacking the nervous system and the subject's brain waves simultaneously, the drug literally took over a person's body, giving the controller absolute power.

 

And that is where the most ingenious part of his invention came in. The controller took the drug too, but instead of the 'hijacking drug' they took the 'controlling' drug. This drug was linked to the other in such a way that they allowed the controller to tell the person on the receiving end what to do. It linked their brainwaves, putting them on the same wavelength so to speak turning the thoughts of the controller into the actions of the controlled.

 

It was, to put it mildly, brilliant. And the subject would have no memory of the incident afterwards, for it wasn't really their brain doing the thinking. Or, that was how it should have been.

 

But what could have gone wrong?! Slamming the door to his private office roughly, the young doctor seated himself behind the desk and put his head in his hands, running fingers through the long reddish locks that fell around his ears.

 

If that man remembered…it would spell the end of everything for his career.

 

---

 

"But I feel like I'm not being very much of a help…"

 

"Well, even if you aren't, you technically can't do anything until Amon gets back. Besides, Sakaki and I have managed the hunts fine enough by ourselves. Just wait a little more, I'm sure he'll show up soon." Karasuma offered the younger girl a reassuring smile and moved away to check something Michael had just called up on his computer screen.

 

"It's ok Robin," Sakaki said. "You really have helped us with all that paperwork. It saves us from working overtime, since most of our time at work is spent on the hunts now." He gave her a grin, then muttered, "It would also help if Doujima would show up once and a while…"

 

The youngest Hunter smiled a little, and even laughed quietly when Karasuma rolled her eyes at him and practically dragged him out the door on their latest hunt.

 

"Well, aren't they just the cutest thing? Puppy love!" Doujima commented, walking into the room as they left. The glare she received from Sakaki could have melted stone.

 

"Hello," Robin replied softly, sitting down and sifting through her pile of paperwork for the day. Her heart fell when she took note of the amount; it looked as if she were going to be stuck inside the building for another whole day.

 

Two pairs of hands suddenly reached down, each taking a section of the papers. She looked up to see Michael grinning down at her while Doujima took the chair next to her. "If we split it up, we'll be done in no time and I can go home early," said Doujima by way of explanation.

 

"She really means to say she'd be glad to help," Michael told Robin, taking the chair on her other side.

 

Nodding, Robin was reminded of how lucky she was to have Michael as her friend. She thought it was bad being stuck here all day with paperwork, but he was stuck here for the rest of his life. Helping her meant she could have a break, but there would never be one for him.

 

Chewing on her lip, a habit she had developed as of late, the Hunter resigned herself to the work, glad for the other two people in the room with her. She hated being alone.

 

---

 

Wow! Two-count them-two updates in one day! I hope you all enjoyed the little interlude I tossed in there…heh. But anyway, I had this chapter sitting half finished on my laptop, I just needed to add a little bit here and there and tweak it a little bit.

 

So here's chapter 9…I don't like it. I need to start moving the plot along; this was more of a lull in between the action, so to speak. I just felt that nothing really interesting happened in this chapter, so I promise something really good for next time.

 

Please R&R as always!

 

-SanoGirl