Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ Unbroken Chains ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Two

*Tuesday, one o'clock*

Amon stepped out of the museum and observed the people walking up and down the street. Nothing seemed out of place. A person bumped into him but he didn't get a chance to see whom. He shook his head and moved silently to his black car.

He slid into the driver's side and started the engine. Reaching over to the passenger seat, he grabbed his cell phone.

"What's up, Amon?"

"There was nothing out of the ordinary here, Michael. Just groups of students on a trip. Are any other museums having this type of exhibit?" He heard the clicking of the keyboard keys as he maneuvered the car into the traffic.

"That's the only museum. Are you sure you didn't find anything?"

"I'm positive." He hung up and concentrated on the road in front of him.

<<<<<>>>>>

Amon sat at his desk, looking at the stack of files and papers Michael had pulled up for him. He reached over and picked up the first one, flipping through the dozens of pages bound together by metal rings. He paused to look at one photo of a medieval church, as the description depicted. He took in the stained glass windows, the austere style of the building typical of the period, broad doors were opened as if to invite worshipers. Amon found himself studying the list of names on the tombstones in front of the steps, off to the left.

He book marked the picture and picked up the stapled papers of the art at the museum. A hand touched his shoulder and he looked behind him to see Robin.

"Do you need any help?" Her voice was soft, softer than it had been earlier.

"No." She didn't show any emotion as she walked back over to Michael and pulled out her bible. He watched as she began to read it before turning back to the stack he was slowly diminishing. He heard the constant click - click - clack of Michael's fingers hitting the keys of the keyboard. There was only a brief pause before he started over.

It was nearing midnight when he was reduced down to two more files. Most of the others had been nothing but useless information that wasn't needed for the case. He flipped the top of the manila folder and wrapped it around to the back.

The headline of the first newspaper clipping caught his attention.

'Man Dies in Mysterious Ritualistic Burning at the Stake'

He raised a dark eyebrow and started reading the clipping.

'Edward Mitchell was found this morning at the park where he took his usual morning jogs. The setting was obscure and rather disturbing as investigators worked frantically to find answers.
'Mitchell had been burned at the stake, a ritual that had not taken place in the United States in over 300 years. Unusual markings had been found around the area where he had bee staked. Investigators say that the scene was most likely done by a new serial killer.
'If anyone has any information on this murder, police officers are awaiting leads as to who was behind this.'

Amon turned to Michael and stood up.

"Michael, find some information on this man." He placed the clipping in front of the hacker. Blue eyes scanned through it before a slender hand pushed through ginger locks.

"All right, Amon." Amon grabbed his jacket and three files. "Good night." Amon nodded and left the building, the clicking following him to the elevator. He reached into his pocket for the keys and felt a piece of paper with them. He pulled it out.

An odd look passed over his eyes.

<<<<<>>>>>

Innocence
The white angel
Accused wrongly of someone's sin
Burning flames of rage
Too weak to fight back
Screaming one final curse
Remnants of an ancient ring
Blood upon pure wings

<<<<<>>>>>

*Wednesday, seven o'clock*

"I brought you some doughnuts, Michael."

The ginger-haired teen turned around and smiled gratefully at Robin as the blonde placed the box on a chair by his workstation. A steamy mug of coffee appeared in her hands and he took that as well, swallowing a good amount before taking off his glasses and rubbing his eyes.

He had spent the entire evening searching, and researching, various topics on Edward Mitchell. He turned to her, needing a brief break from the computer screen and smiled.

"Thanks, Robin. I needed it." She nodded and reached for one herself.

Footsteps sounded on the stone floor as Amon approached his desk and set the files on the wooden top. He shrugged out of his coat and draped it behind the chair before turning to Michael, ignoring Robin.

"Have you found anything?" Michael pointed to a stack of papers on the raven-haired man's desk.

"His death wasn't the only one like it. There were four others in the United States, seven in London, and three here. All had the same setting. A man or woman tied to a stake, burned, and the strange lettering on the ground close to them. I've been trying all evening to translate it. It's been pretty impossible." Michael stood up and stretched, his limbs weary and mostly numb. "The names of the other people and their backgrounds are in those papers. Nothing too interesting about them. The only thing linking them together is that they were witches or descendants of witches."

The baldhead of Chief Kosaka appeared in the room before he stepped in there fully. He looked angry, which was nothing out of the ordinary during this particular time of the year.

"Whatever's being discussed will have to be pushed aside. We have a new case." Michael retrieved one of the files from the Chief's hands and started typing immediately. Amon reached for a file and began flipping through the pages.

Pictures of corpses, decapitated, filled the folder. A description of each victim and what they found followed each picture. Amon closed his eyes for a second before moving to the next victim.

The pictures were gruesome. Blood had been spilt over most of the crime scene. It had probably taken hours to clean.

They had a meeting after the others of the STN-J were in the building, Michael taking his place by the computer.

"Each one was decapitated, as you can see. What makes it unusual are the marks that were found along the victims' bodies. At least one eye is missing from each one and a piece of jewelry."

"Who would want to do something like this?" Karasuma muttered to herself, her delicate fingers closing over her palm in an unconscious movement.

Doujima closed her folder and rested her head on top of it. Sakaki's jaw clenched as he, too, closed his folder. Amon stood up.

"We'll go out and find some information from the crime scene. It's still ours?"

"Yes." Michael switched the computer off.

"Karasuma, come with Robin and me. Sakaki, you and Doujima check out the other scenes." The brunet nodded and got to his feet, the blonde behind him. Robin and Karasuma walked out and grabbed their coats, waiting for Amon by the elevator. The five of them left the building and went in their separate directions.

<<<<<>>>>>

Karasuma hesitantly placed her palm on the pavement where the body had been several hours earlier, as if afraid of seeing what had the asphalt held. She closed her eyes and waited for the onslaught of gruesome images.

What she saw wasn't anything gruesome?

______________________________________________________________ __________________

Sorry that the update took so long. I've been trying to finish two other stories before focusing on this one. Thanks for having patience and for reviewing. I appreciate it.

The poem is of my own creation. Please ask my permission if you would like to use it. Thanks in advance.