Wolf's Rain Fan Fiction ❯ Hunting ❯ Hunting ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Hunting


Um...takes place somewhere...hehe. Sorry, I've seen the end and the beginning of the show, so I'm still learning.


The rabbit was plump, but fast on it's feet as it burst from the trees, crossing the meadow at top speeds. A moment laster a red and tan wolf burst free from the woods as well, chasing it across the clearing. 'Just a little closer...'
Though the woods were far from plush with vegetation, the rabbit tried to lose it's hunter through the underbrush as it left the meadow. The wolf crashed through the dying vegetation, weaving throught the trees and continuing the chase. He could feel his heart pounding in his ears, as he forced his feet to run faster. Something stirring in his blood; in his soul. The rabbit zigzagged and he prepared to pounce.
The memory came unbidden. Leara's bird, dead in her arms, the accusatory look in her eyes...The distraction was momentary, but it was enough for the rabbit to dodge. His jaws snapped air and he crashed to the ground. He heard the growl behind him, the crunch of jaws hitting the mark he'd missed. Closing his eyes, he rolled away from the painful landing and stood up in human form. When the rabbit was tossed onto the ground at his feet he wished he could make himself invisible.
"Hopeless. You're completely hopeless." Tsume, also in human form, glared at him. "I don't know why I'm wasting my time even trying to teach you to hunt."
"I...almost got it..." Toboe pointed out weakly.
"Almost won't keep you from starving!" Tsume paced in front of him.
"I'm sorry, Tsume. I just don't like..." He trailed off, realizing what he was going to say and guessing it was exactly the wrong thing.
"Well? Are you going to finish that thought or am I supposed to read your mind?" His companion demanded.
"I...I don't like to kill." Toboe got out.
"It's not about liking it." Tsume sounded, surprislngly to Toboe, not in the least bit angry at the revelation. "You don't have to like it."
He looked up at him, confused. "But...I thought..."
Tsume sighed, and Toboe could hear the 'Why do I even try?' that was behind it. "Look, kid. There's only two times you should kill. For food and for protection. And nobody enjoys themselves killing for protection. That's just survival."
"But what about for food?" He asked, and was promptly favored with a frown. Wrong thing to say again, it seemed.
"So you didn't enjoy the hunt?" Tsume asked of him.
Toboe paused, thinking back to what it felt like chasing the rabbit. The way it made him feel inside. He opened up his mouth to reply, but Tsume held up his hand to stop him.
"No need to answer...I already see it in your eyes." Amber eyes studied him for a minute before their owner turned and started walking away. "Heh. Might be hope for you yet.
Toboe's face lit up. Grabbing up the rabbit he ran after him. "I won't mess up next time. I'll make the kill."
"Sure, kid." Tsume seemed more amused than convinced.
"I mean it! I will!" Toboe insisted as they headed back to camp.


Well...that was short and pointless...but it was kind-of cute... ^-^