Wolf's Rain Fan Fiction ❯ Renga ❯ Renga ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Renga (Poetic Dialogue)
 
`'Tsume!'' came the childish voice calling his name from behind, loud and innocent, making his head hurt. `Damn kid', he thought, stopping with an exasperated sigh, turning his head to look at the red-head boy that was running with a goofy smile at him.
`'That's your name, right? I heard from the crows you were making a fuss with some human comrades. Actually, this is the first time I've seen a wolf like me! That thing you did back there was incredible! What creepy guy? Who was he anyway?'' the kid kept talking, and talking, putting him on the edge.
`'Get lost. Brats like you annoy me'' he snapped coldly, pushing back the image of the kid's terrified face as he fell, having seen his wolf side.
`'Wha-does that mean...I can't go with you?'' he asked, stating the obvious.
`'You got it'' he said, and left, leaving the redhead behind, looking at him with those innocent sad eyes.
 
**
 
That was the first time I saw him, and it wouldn't be the last. Next I saved him from the big black dog, again, and when I finally thought he'd disappeared, he came back with that annoying white wolf that kept on saying something about wolf's pride and shit like that. What was his problem anyway? And what was worse, the meddling brat, Mr.pride and some other brown chubby wolf wanted me to go with them to some fucking fairytale paradise shit.
 
I only want to leave this city, I'm tired of it. Just that. That's what I thought. Bullshit.
 
**
 
It started getting worse when I decided to leave this stupid quest and Toboe just had to come chasing after me, the pain in the ass, and almost got all of us killed, waking that robot monster.
 
What was worse, I actually protected the air head.
 
I didn't know what was happening to me. You're the lone wolf, you don't need friends, or a pack. Not after what you did, anyway. That's what I told myself. The kid just had to ask where I got my scar. Anyways, something was happening to me, and I didn't know what. I didn't know why I got a little panicky when I saw the robot was gonna shoot the kid. I didn't understand why I felt so nervous when he was licking my wound, like pack mates do between each other.
 
And I also didn't know why I was actually listening to that idiot, Kiba. I can't deny he's a good fighter and all, but hell, he was convincing me the paradise actually existed.
 
I guess once you meet that guy, anything seems possible to you. That and you become increasingly stubborn when you get on to something.
 
**
 
What I can't describe was how mad I got, the fury running at full speed through my blood and veins, when I saw those wolves working as scum-ass dogs for the humans. The old man dying out of exhaustion (who had given me quite a scare when he popped out of his hole. Funny guy). And the leader just standing there, watching it all as if it was the most natural thing in the world.
 
Kiba got really mad as well. Damn, he almost killed himself, the idiot, (although somewhere, deep down, I was happy someone had decided to make the move). Good thing we could get him out.
 
The incredible thing was that, by the time we were in the tunnel that would take us to the paradise, I was convinced we were getting somewhere, (even though I wouldn't admit it).
 
**
 
Then Cheza came along. When I first saw her, I felt a mixture of pure horror and fascination. Kiba, he seemed drugged or something. He was completely doped with her. He looked off in the highest clouds. I actually felt like that while she sang for us and we fell asleep, although I'll never admit that (I'm such a coward, always playing the hard guy).
 
Now, when we were in that creepy forest with that fucking owl, Toboe scared to death (and spraining his ankle, and then everyone got petted by Cheza, which I thought was absolutely pathetic); Kiba hysterical because Cheza was dying, and Hige just thinking of eating, well that really got on my nerves. I wanted Kiba to stop, I wanted Cheza to live, I wanted Toboe to be brave and not be afraid (by that time, I had changed a whole lot; to believe I actually loved, if only a bit, the little air head). Hige, I just wanted him to shut up. And I wanted to kill that fucking owl.
 
So, one can suppose that, after beating a massive horde of bugs, finally finding water, Cheza being fine again, Kiba once again in his creepy-calm state, Hige with his mouth shut, and Toboe as happy as the brat can be, well I was actually feeling really good. I hadn't felt so good in ages.
 
**
 
Then came the night of the full moon.
 
It's hard to explain what we all felt that night, so full of energy, so happy, so everything, a wonderful sensation like I'd never felt in my whole life. And then all the flowers, the road to the paradise, it was a dream. The dream of a better life, forgetting the cruelties of the past, the thing's I'd done, one mistake after another. A paradise for Toboe, whom I wanted to take there so much. I finally had hope for myself, I had hope for my friends, my new pack, something I thought forgotten.
 
Then he came, destroying everything in the blink of an eye. He almost killed all of us and took Cheza. I swore to kill that fucking son of a bitch just for hurting Toboe. And when the chance finally came, and we were all at Darcia's palace, us wolves, Blue (whom Hige seemed extremely attached to), and the humans, and we could've killed him, that bitch Jagara came along. I couldn't believe how scared I was when everything began to break down, when Kiba, blinded by his love for Cheza, threw himself into the disaster, and disappeared.
 
I simply couldn't believe what was happening.
 
**
We travelled for days, non-stop, but Kiba didn't seem to be anywhere. I was so fucking worried. Toboe had regressed back to wimpy state. Hige was cranky because Blue had also disappeared. And then we met up with those Indian people, and I knew since the first moment I saw Toboe look at them as if he'd found paradise that he wasn't going with us. Just as I knew Hige wasn't coming to end from the very beginning. Just as I knew it wasn't me who was going to open the door to paradise. That was Kiba's job, and he was fucking gone. Disappeared into thin air.
 
And so we ventured into the desert, and Toboe said he was staying. I tried very hard not to hit some sense out of him, or scream until my throat went dry. But he always liked humans, the little brat.
 
So we went on, and finally admitted I was becoming as stubborn and decisive as Kiba. Hige...he's a smart guy when he wants to be.
 
Now, when we found Kiba in that weird smelling ugly plant, I got really mad. Good thing I could kick those fucking soldiers all the way to hell. Fucking Jagara. Thank god, if there is one, that the Indian guy (I keep forgetting his name...) and Toboe came along, and after the old guy brought Kiba back from where ever he'd been, (although when he mentioned that thing about meeting a good woman I got a little freaked out), and then Toboe didn't understand, I just had to laugh. I hadn't laughed like that in ages.
 
Come to think of it, I've never done many good things in ages.
 
**
 
I didn't know what to make of the destruction of the city. I felt bad, because, well, I'd spent there a lot of time, and yet a small part of me was glad. I never liked it much anyways. And I got to have fun while fighting Jagara's men. And the humans were going to actually do something useful for once.
 
Then there was Jagara's city. I don't know what to make out of that place. Cold, lifeless. It seemed unreal, and the people freaked me out. And then we got separated, Hige seemed to be going crazy 8at least we found Blue again), Toboe worried me sick, and so did Kiba, because he wasn't known to think before acting, that guy was pure impulse and instinct.
 
The worst part was seeing all those stuffed wolves. All with collars similar to Hige's. It was very shocking to know that Hige had been a Noble's mutt, but there was something wrong with Hige since the beginning. At least he admitted it when Toboe and I managed to escape the cells, along with the human guy.
 
After that things got very confusing, but we all managed to escape alive from the dead city, all wolves including Blue, Cheza, the crazy wolf hunter and the human guy with his wife.
 
**
 
Things started to go downwards when Hubb's wife died when she fell down the cliff, taking the truck with her. I was having a hard time watching the poor man cry his heart out as he held her lifeless body.
 
Then Toboe had to die. I didn't give a fuck about the old man dying (well, only a bit), but why did he have to die? He was still a kid, for fuck's sake, even though he'd grown up so much since the first time I saw him. I loved him so much, fuck it all. All I wanted was for him to be happy, I wanted to take him to the paradise. I didn't want him to make the mistakes I did. I cried for the first time in my life, but I don't give a fuck a bout that either.
 
Then Hubb decided to throw himself of the cliff. Clever. Traumatize Tsume even further!
 
Then I had to fucking see Blue dead and kill Hige. I think that in that moment, when I took Hige's life away with my very own fangs, I decided nothing else mattered. Only helping Kiba open the paradise, and kill that mother fucking bastard. And I almost did it, too. But he was big, the bastard. And fucking strong. I tried not to break down when Kiba came for me. Come to think of it, he was still a kid too. It hurt me to see him like that, so desperate, his face when I told him I'd fucking killed Hige. But I let him go.
 
**
 
They say that your life goes through your eyes when you're about to die. I always thought that was the stupidest thing I'd ever heard, but it's obviously true. I know my time's come. I'm bleeding to much, and it hurts. I sigh, and lean back into the icy rock. My vision is blurring. I fall forward into the snow.
 
You can do it, Kiba. Do what none of us could. Open the Paradise, you're the only one who can make it.
 
I'll be right there, Toboe.