Wolf's Rain Fan Fiction ❯ Snow Flight ❯ Snow Flight ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Wolf's Rain, and this piece is purely fiction.
 
POV: Kiba
 
Snow Flight
 
It's there, right? I know it. I know it so much… it… it hurts me. It's there. Why can't you see it? Why do you stop running? Keep going -look- it's right there! See? Can't you see it? Look- the flowers- the streams the clouds the sky…!!! fasterfasterfaster now we can't afford to lose. No, we can't. We can't afford to lose Paradise! We've come this far, so, now. Take my hand, alright?
 
It's been this way for a long time. I've been the leader. I've never led them astray, and they count on me. Even Blue, who's been reluctant all this time, is looking up at me. I don't know how to handle it. It's right there, right? Do you all really need me anymore? So, can I go, then? I'm going to go somewhere… far, far away. I want to just… give up.
 
Watching the snow fall, gently, it feels like I'm floating, flying, somewhere above it all. In the dark of the cave, the only light is from the cloudy white sky. Everywhere you look- the sky is eternal. There is no end to the snow. There is no end to the pain. There is no end to the road to Paradise.
 
What's at the end? What will happen… and… does it… does it? Exist? It all comes back- why did they leave me? Why did you have to die? Why…? Why? Why did you leave me alone? I deserve more than this, I…!!! I watched you for so long, so… so… …please…
 
Don't cry… I want to comfort you too! But I can't! I'm not a God. I'm not a divine creature! I'm just a lost wolf, crying. I have the same power that you do! Don't look to me for hope. I'm only a wolf. I'm only… I'm… I…
 
The sky is clearing. Even the sky must rest. The light of the moon shines on my fur, leaving faint traces of warmth. The last of the snow stays, shape shifting. It disappears too fast for me to see where it lands. So, will my end be like that, too? Will I just disappear, chasing a mirage that never existed?
 
It's only clear for a moment. All of a sudden, the wind picks up, screaming in and out of my resting place. It nips at my body, beckoning me to move in, move out, move out of that place. Obeying, I pad silently towards the back.
 
I listen to the wind. She's just like me- no place to belong, eternally searching for that place, and, who knows? That place may not exist.
 
I realize how unimportant I am to the world. If I died here, the only people that might even notice would be my pack, and, even then, perhaps, a few months later, they would find a far greater leader. So, I can rest now. There is nothing more I can do. I slip into a serene sleep, wondering if I will wake again.
 
Bright lights… lit up floor… dawn. I slowly rise, squinting at the sudden radiance and beauty of the cold and hard cave I had fallen asleep in. It is a new day. My claws scratch the floor of the cave as I silently walk toward the mouth. I'm not ready to see what is out there. I think of the seeming endless night, the gravity pulling at the snow and the feeling of that calmness…
 
I step out into the sunlight. The white of my fur looks as if it is glowing. All that is left of the hard night are little puddles that litter the sides of the forest.
 
Hige looks at me expectantly. Toboe cocks his head to one side, child-like. Blue stares at my sudden emergence. Tsume just glares at me, seeming almost annoyed I came out alive. But I see the warmth in all of their eyes.
 
I'm back.
 
It can't be that farther.
Don't stop running.
Take my hand, alright?
I will lead you all to Paradise.