X/1999 Fan Fiction / Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Living For You ❯ Reconciliation ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: Don't own any of the characters. They belong to CLAMP. I think the things I've done to them aren't all that horrible compared to the serious torture CLAMP has/is putting them through lately. But that hasn't stopped me from buying their stuff. Hail to CLAMP.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 7 - Reconciliation

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

There's not a lot to recommend about lying around on a sick bed. It gets boring real quick, as Kamui found to his dismay. It was enough that morning to rouse him from his lethargy and find him going in search of some company. Now if anyone knew Kamui, they would know just how bored he had to be if he was actually looking for company.

His first success almost made him change his mind. Shaking his head, he stumbled out of the kitchen, trying not to blush too hard at the sight of Sorata playing with Arashi's hair. The two teenagers had been understandably unhappy at having been caught in an intimate moment. He beat a hasty departure and left Arashi to the process of disciplining Sorata. Kamui had always wondered why the Kanzai monk kept up his pursuit of her but given what he had just seen, it looked like he was finally getting somewhere at last.

Wandering through the hall of the apartments set aside for their use at the Imonoyama mansion, he thought about who he was going to try next. Deep deep inside, he knew there was really only one person he wanted to find. But he thought he ought to give him some privacy once in a while, given that the two of them had been rather inseparable recently.

"Subaru..." Kamui whispered the name aloud. He was still trying to get used to calling his friend by that name. The discovery that the woman who had grown so important to him was actually someone else had been a shock. But Kamui had totally identified with Subaru's troubled soul and understood the factors that had driven him into suppressing his own personality in favour of his sister's. He had promised to help Subaru deal with adjusting back into being himself. Kamui hoped he was up to the task.

As if the thought had conjured him up, Kamui found himself in the living room confronted with the sight of Subaru sitting by a small table near the window. He studied his friend's profile for a moment, noting the fine verdent eyes bent downward in intent concentration. Subaru had cut his hair a little and fine silky locks now framed the delicate features of his face. In the light of the morning sun from the window, he looked a veritable angel come to life.

Subaru looked up and smiled a genuine smile of welcome. He seemed always happy to see Kamui. Around the other Seals he was shy and diffident, and never said more than a few words of greeting. Kamui thought that was a little like himself, though he was getting a little more familiar with the others and could talk about things other than the depressing subject of the end of the world.

Curious, Kamui walked over and looked at what Subaru was doing. "What's this?" he asked, pointing to the strange writing on a stack of papers.

"It's my ofuda. I thought I'd better get around to stocking up my supply." Subaru answered with a tinge of regret, obviously thinking about the upcoming battle of the Apocalypse. "I never had much need for a lot before, since I hadn't really been working as an onmyouji too often."

Kamui nodded, understanding immediately. He was unhappily recollecting Subaru's disastrous battle against the Sakurazukamori just a few days ago, which had left him rather seriously injured.

"I think I've managed to replenish my supply for now," Subaru said. "Was there something you needed?"

Kamui shifted about uncomfortably. He wasn't sure how he was to tell Subaru that he was bored. He knew it would sound incredibly whiny and the last thing he wanted to give Subaru the impression of, was him acting like a spoilt child.

Fortunately, Subaru was a great deal more perceptive and didn't need him to say anything. "Do you want to go out and do something?"

Kamui quickly nodded his head in relief. He thought that was just so like Subaru. He could anticipate and understand Kamui's most bratty moods, and come up with ways to cheer him up. It was totally unlike his relationship with Fuuma, who had made him feel so safe and wanted, at least before he became a Chi no Ryuu. Subaru couldn't make him feel safe, though Kamui knew he did his best. But the best thing about Subaru was that he made Kamui feel accepted, the good with the bad. He didn't feel he had to be the great Kamui, the leader of the Dragons of Heaven. When he was with Subaru, he could just be himself, and that it was all right to have a selfish thought once in a while.

Subaru had packed up his writing materials and set his box aside. "Shall we look for Sorata and tell him where we're going?" He said as he walked towards the door.

Kamui thought Sorata probably didn't want to be disturbed right about now, so quickly shook his head. "No let's just leave a note."

That easily accomplished, the two Dragons left the house. A sight at the front door, froze them in their tracks. Parked on the driveway outside was a large black limosine. Kamui, supposing the people standing beside it to have business with the Imonoyamas didn't spare them a second glace, though he was enough of a teenaged boy to gawk for a moment at the sleek vehicle. So their greeting surprised him.

Two men, dressed formally in western suits, bowed when they saw Subaru. "Please, Sumeragi-sama, we need to speak with you."

Subaru started. He stood there totally still and waited for them to continue.

"Your grandmother, Lady Sumeragi wants to see you. Will you come with us?"

"Is... is she in Tokyo?" Subaru asked hesitantly.

The men nodded and opened the door to the car. Subaru looked uncertain. Kamui turned to Subaru and asked, "Do you want to go?"

"I haven't seen her in a very long time," he replied.

"Would you like me to go with you?" Kamui offered.

Subaru considered this for a moment, then nodded. Kamui reached out, took his hand and led him into the car. He thought it was a good thing for Subaru to reconcile with his relatives. He knew what it was to have nobody in the world and he didn't want Subaru to suffer similarly if he could avoid it.

Once inside, Subaru sat stonily like a marble scuplture. His face was entirely expressionless but Kamui knew he must be feeling a riot of unease at the situation. Kamui contented himself looking out the window as the limo drove through the streets of Tokyo to the centre of downtown. The vehicle was luxurious and Kamui was impressed by the quiet wealth it implied. Soon, the car came to a stop before a grand hotel. The men who had accompanied them opened the door and bowed them inside.

The suite they were brought to was huge. Stepping into the carpeted interior, Kamui took an instant to study his surroundings. The main room was light and airy, thanks to the full length windows all along one side of the wall. On a wheelchair before the window sat an elderly lady. Her commanding presence immediately identified her as the Sumeragi matriach.

Subaru hesitantly stepped forward. "Hello, Obasan," he said in greeting.

Lady Sumeragi's eyes never left Subaru's face. She stared at him as if afraid he was going to vanish into thin air before her eyes. Still her control held and she merely reached out a hand to him. "Subaru-san, I am glad to see you are well."

Subaru crossed the room and took her hand in his. He didn't seem to know what to say. But he knew he wasn't going to get a stronger welcome than this. Eventually he managed, "I'm glad to find you well also." The formality of their exchange was almost enough to make Kamui scream in frustration. Why couldn't the two of them just kiss and make up?

But the old lady nodded, and appeared to accept the greeting with more implication than Kamui had sensed. A little of the tension eased from her shoulders. It was barely perceptable, but the atmosphere in the room suddenly lightened greatly.

The 12th head of the Sumeragi clan turned to Kamui and said, "Subaru-san, will you introduce me to your friend?"

Subaru started, suddenly remembering his manners. "Obasan, this is Shirou Kamui. My friend" he said simply.

Obviously Lady Sumeragi was well-informed about Kamui's identity because she inclined her head and said, "Thank you for helping my grandson. Forgive us for the burdens that have been placed on you."

Kamui blushed. Shaking his head, he protested, "No no, it's Subaru who has helped me a lot."

"No, you are the only person who was able to help Subaru-san come to terms with Hokuto." Left unspoken was the truth that she had failed.

Subaru dropped his eyes and said in a soft voice, "I'm sorry Obasan for making you worry about me." He was genuinely contrite for having made her worry. He did love her with all his heart and he knew she only wanted the best for him. But he felt it had been the right thing for him to leave her nine years ago. At that time, his heart had not been able to deal with the wrenching loss that Hokuto's death meant and his guilt at being the one who survived. His grandmother had not accepted that, she could not accept the loss of her heir. And so he had run away

"Are you willing to accept your rightful position as clan head again?"

The stark question startled Subaru. He looked deep into her eyes and saw her wordless plea. In that instant he realised that she was no longer the hale and hearty lady who had raised him. His sorrow grew that his choice had forced him to miss so many years of his grandmother's life. "I will, but my duty as a Dragon of Heaven comes first." Subaru crossed over to Kamui and took his hand.

Subaru's grandmother's eyes widened as the import of their closeness struck her. For a moment she looked alarmed; no one else in their line of business knew better than her the possible fate that awaited a kamui. Then she bent her head in acceptance, "It shall be as you choose, clan head. But are you ready to face the Sakurazukamori?" Her question held a world of bitterness.

"I don't know." The admission cost Subaru greatly. He did not know if he could live up to expectations of fighting his opposite.

"I will help him," Kamui promised her. She studied him intently; read his full determination that Subaru would come to no harm and was reassured.

"But I'm supposed to protect you," Subaru protested to Kamui.

"And you will," his grandmother said, with an undefinable sorrow.

"I will come and visit you at Kyoto when I can," he promised. "But you should go back. It isn't safe here." He didn't need to explain further. The Sumeragis had always been well aware that one of their number would be a Seal when the Foreordained Day came to pass. There was really nothing more left to be said. The shadow of the upcoming Apocalyse loomed over everyone. Until that was settled, there would be no chance of any of them having any sort of life for themselves.

As the two Dragons of Heaven bid their farewells and turned to leave, they heard the tired voice of the matriach say softly, "Be careful, Subaru-san. Take care of yourself."

Subaru looked back solemnly and nodded. Once outside the door, he paused and brought his hand to cover his eyes. "I hadn't realised how much I had missed her," Subaru said softly.

Kamui on impulse, reached out and held him wordlessly in comfort. The two leaned on the wall outside that door, knowing full well that inside was yet another person who needed to be protected from the Angels.

~~~~~

Notes: I've decided to go completely AU and toss the X timeline entirely out the window. Isn't it much more fun this way? This chapter simply focusses on Subaru dealing with reintegrating his life again and the growing closeness between Kamui and Subaru. Yes this is a Kamui/Subaru fic so those of you thinking it's going to be otherwise, sorry to disappoint you. I've been doing a lot of Subaru/Seishirou fics lately and thought Subaru/Kamui deserved a chance as well. There's going to be quite a lot of waff in this story. Would you like to see Subby and Kamui fall even more in love? Right now they're still at friendship stage but their feelings are growing deeper. Now Lady Sumeragi is written exactly like my grandmother - boy, was she the epitome of the Asian family matriach. You would never ever hear a word of apology cross her lips to a member of the younger generation, but she would try to show her love in unspoken ways. I think Subaru's grandmother would be exactly like that.

Thank you all of you who reviewed my last chapter - it finally encouraged me to continue with this timeline. And yes the other Dragons of the Earth will start to show up and throw a kink into the relationship between Subaru and Kamui.

Lots of action coming up - Fuuma makes an appearance and engages in a big battle with the Dragons of Heaven. Will Kamui be able to stand up to him or will he display his usual jello-like qualities and need to be rescued?

~~~ OMAKE ~~~

For those of you who've no idea of what happened prior to this chapter, as it's been so long since I last posted this fic, here's a little Fic-in-a-minute summary written by April, aka Ap-chan who sent it to me. Thanks April!

Hokuto: "I'm alive!"

Seishirou: "No, you're not."

Hokuto: "You're right, I'm actually Subaru." (Cries.)

Kamui: "I still love you!"

Subaru: "Yay!"