X/1999 Fan Fiction ❯ Headaches, Humor, and Fate ❯ The Doctor is In ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own X or its characters.
Warnings: Shounen-ai hinted at. Some OOC. Temporary suspension of disbelief needed ^_^;;
Notes: My first humorous series. I'm an angst/introspective writer at heart, so this was a challenge. Thanks for giving me a chance by reading this.
 
Title: Headaches, Humor, and Fate
Chapter 1 - The Doctor Is In
 
It was a bright summer morning. The sakura trees were laden with healthy green leaves, and the birds were chirping. Loudly. If Subaru had been other than the type of person he was, he would have cursed. As it was, he was still the ever gentle, and polite Sumeragi head.
“Ah! INUKI! That was my pancake!”
That was Yuzuriha.
Subaru buried his head deeper into his pillow.
“Waahhh! Miss doesn't want to try my cooking!”
That was Sorata. Subaru gritted his teeth.
BANG!
That was the sound of Arashi hitting Sorata with the frying pan.
Subaru's head was throbbing. He grumbled, sat up and waited for more sounds from the kitchen. There was only silence. And that…was Kamui.
~~~~~~~ 
By the time Subaru made it to the kitchen for some coffee, the rest of the Dragons of Heaven were digging quietly into their breakfast, occasionally throwing concerned glances at the morose Kamui. The boy looked as if he hadn't slept a wink. He neglected his food, and the collar of his school uniform was open. Draped around his neck was an undone tie. Ever so often, Sorata would ask Kamui if he'd like any more bacon in an oddly gentle voice. Arashi would look shocked every time. Kamui just shook his adorable head of raven hair and sighed.
Really, Subaru thought the boy would at least be kind enough to reply with words.
As it was, he decided to break the tension with a bright smile.
“So, how's life been?”
Everyone just stared at Subaru in shock. A bit of half-chewed bacon dropped from Sorata's mouth. Arashi coughed, but managed to still be very ladylike.
“Nani?”
“S-Subaru-san, are you feeling alright?” Yuzuriha looked concerned.
“Hm? Of course I am.” Subaru beamed again. “I was wondering if anyone would like to go to try some ice cream at Sunshine 60 with me today.” Subaru was surprised when three sets of hands seized him and began pushing him out the door.
“Kamui-kun! Please grab Subaru-san's jacket.”
“Ah! Hai!” Kamui stumbled into the coat rack as he hurriedly picked the white trenchcoat off from one of its many hooks.
“Kamui…do you think you should be going out like that?” One green eye looked over the boy's rumpled shirt. “I could help you with your tie, you know.” With that, Subaru Sumeragi wiggled out of the collective grasp of Sorata, Arashi and Yuzuriha. With a look of serious concentration, Subaru effectively straightened Kamui's tie into a nice fluffy bow shape.
“Um, Subaru.”
“Yes?” The sweet smile was unnerving.
“Never mind,” Kamui sweat-dropped.
 ~~~~~~~
“Good afternoon!”
“Erm, hello.”
“So, where's the patient?” The man adjusted his glasses.
“Well, he is.”
“Excuse me, but you do realize I'm a veterinarian,” he smiled good-naturedly.
“I'm really sorry, er, Dr. Sakurazuka,” Sorata read the nametag on the man before him, “but the local doctors are really busy, and couldn't squeeze in anyone without appointments.”
“Ah, it is the height of the flu season.”
“Dr. Sakurazuka-san…” Arashi spoke up softly.
“Yes?”
“Have we met before?” Kamui finished her sentence. He squinted at the smiling person in front of him.
“Ohohoho…well probably not, unless you happen to be a puppy dog in disguise. I normally don't diagnose people…” Dr. Sakurazuka patted Kamui on the head.
“Ya know, you look familiar to me too,” Sorata rubbed his chin.
“…Although you do have very pretty purple puppy dog eyes,” Dr. Sakurazuka leaned in closer with a leer. Kamui squeaked, and Arashi quickly yanked him away from the doctor. Sorata lost his train of thought and placed the two safely behind his back.
“We're here because of Sumeragi-san,” Sorata's eyes narrowed.
“Ah yes, the patient.”
Subaru was busy giggling at the cat and dogs, reaching in between the bars to pet a few of them with the tips of his fingers. Dr. Sakurazuka sidled up to the oblivious onmyouji.
“Hello, Subaru-kun,” he purred.
“Oh, its just you, Seishirou-san,” with that, Subaru recommenced petting the white kitty. Seishirou coughed. Subaru kept petting the kitty. The deadly sakura blossom barrow guardian, supreme master of evilness, and impassive smirks…fell over.
“Doctor?” Yuzuriha bent down, and prodded the twitching man with a foot.
“I'm alright,” Seishirou coughed and straightened his white overcoat. Subaru giggled when a brown puppy licked his hand. “I'll examine him if you could kindly leave and afford us some privacy.”
“But!” Kamui's protests died when he noticed Subaru had taken the puppy out of his cage. Subaru was now holding it close to his chest and twirling around in a type of waltz only he could hear.
“We understand.” Sorata looked grim.
“Subaru-san, he'll be okay, right?” Yuzuriha sniffled.
“Of course,” Seishirou ushered the group out with a kind smile.
~~~~~~~ 
Outside the veterinary office, the group sat down in a neat row of chairs. Yuzuriha twiddled with her fingers, until she could no longer take the boredom. She rummaged through her backpack until she found her reserved pack of pocky and began munching contentedly. Ever so often she'd offer a stick of the strawberry confection to the empty space in front of her feet. Ever so often, a bite of it would disappear accompanied by a strange woof. Passersby looked around in alarm. One poor boy had to be dragged kicking and screaming back into the office with his injured dog by his mother; he thought there was a ghost in the room. Arashi closed her eyes and meditated, looking every bit the regal priestess she was. When a teenaged boy dared to whistle at her, a mysterious bit of lightning erupted in the room and struck his foot. He ran away screaming. Sorata coughed, shifted nonchalantly in his chair, and continued gazing at Arashi adoringly.
“Hee,hee,hee. S-Stop it!” Muffled laughter was heard behind the closed door.
“Uh, guys?” Kamui looked at his companions, they were too engrossed in their own activities to have noticed the strange outburst.
“Who's a good puppy?”
“Hee, hee. Sei- oooh…that felt nice.”
Kamui shifted uncomfortably in his seat. When further noises followed, mostly the rustle of cloth and quiet exhalations of breaths, Kamui covered his ears and sank as deep into the cushion as he could. Gradually, as the seconds ticked away, his face grew redder and redder. Finally he had enough.
“Let go of Subaru, you pervert!” Kamui flung the door open.
Subaru was blushing, and half lying on the examination table, which was not large enough for a person. Dr. Sakurazuka was leaning over him. The hand that had been rubbing Subaru's stomach stilled. Both were still fully clothed. Two sets of eyes turned toward the indignant boy.
“A-Ano…”
“Ohohoho, I didn't realize I was being naughty, er -“
“Um, Shirou Kamui.”
“Shirou-kun. But you see, I don't normally work with humans, and I always managed to calm the animals I work with by rubbing their stomachs before an examination.” Dr. Sakurazuka demonstrated. Subaru giggled and turned into a pile of contented mush upon the table.
“I see,” Kamui sweat-dropped, “But I don't think that's appropriate, Dr. Sakurazuka-san.”
“It isn't?” He withdrew his hand. Subaru pouted and moved the hand back to its original place. “Well, then, I suppose you'll want a real doctor then. I guess I could refer you to a colleague of mine.”
“B-But.”
“Oh, don't worry, he owes me a favor, I'm sure he'll squeeze you in if you give him this,” Dr. Sakurazuka handed Kamui a brief note with the flourish of his signature on it.
“Why didn't you tell us this earlier?!!” Kamui's scream was earsplitting.
“Well… “Dr. Sakurazuka cleared his ears, and rubbed his head in chagrin.
“Kamui!” Three serious Dragons of Heaven burst into the room, ready to do battle. Their stances relaxed, and the cloud of battle auras disappeared into three identical looks of confusion upon finding the savior of the Earth unharmed. Kamui sighed, and pushed Subaru out the door.
“Let's just go.”
“Please, come back some time a~gain!”
Kamui gritted his teeth at the sickeningly sweet voice, and shut the door with more than necessary force. Seishirou blinked then looked over to his real patients. He read over the chart of one ginger-colored cat, completely absorbed. Suddenly, he paused. He shook his head and smiled slyly.
“Even high on drugs, you are so cute, Subaru-kun.”
TBC…
 
Next Chapter - What's really up with Subaru? The Mystery is unraveled. Be prepared for a less than composed Arashi, cute white birds, and a sudden change in Kamui's demeanor.