X/1999 Fan Fiction ❯ My Number One Crush ❯ It's a Beautiful Day ( Prologue )

[ A - All Readers ]

My Number One Crush

(Chapter 1)

Ritsu wandered aimlessly in the school hall. He was early, but well, he needed the time to explore and familiarise himself with the place. " Of all times to change schools, it had to be the middle of my freshman year," he muttered to himself.

"Hey, new boy aren't you? So, where're you going?" Ritsu stumbled forward slightly after being on the receiving end of a hearty slap on the back. "Oomph! I'm going to the science lab after assembly, but I have no idea how to get there. By the way, that hurts..." Ritsu massaged his now sore shoulder, whatever happened to the good old-fashioned bow? He glared at his attacker, a stocky boy about his age with a wild mop of hair on his head.

"You gotta forgive Hachi. He's a little excited coz we've been hearing about the new boy since last week, see, and he desperately needs a good friend to suffer along with him on the soccer team..." Another boy popped into view, this one was a lot thinner than Hachi but about the same height and wore glasses.

"Why, it's only my first day, how come I'm getting such warm greetings? I don't even know your name and I don't think you know mine either, " Ritsu said warily. "But we do know. You're Tonoyama Ritsu. Our form teacher told us that you'd be coming last week; he gave us your name and all. You'll be in our class. Hachi here was sooo excited when he heard that you play soccer. Oh, by the way, I'm Fujima," the second boy introduced himself.

"He's Tanaka Hachi and I'm Mori Fujima, we've been friends since kindergarten!" Fujima announced proudly. "And we'll be your guide around the school if you want, right Hachi?" Fujima put his arm around Hachi, who nodded vigorously.

Ritsu smiled at that invitation. A new school wasn't going to be so bad if the students were going to be as friendly as these two boys. "All right then." The 3 boys walked off together.

"Yeah, but try out for the soccer team won't you? And...OWW! What was that for?" Fujima had nudged Hachi hard in the ribs. "Now's NOT the time to be introducing Ritsu to a certain senior of ours..." Fujima whispered into Hachi's ear. "You'll scare him off..." Fujuma hissed. "Oh." Hachi shut up, deflated.

Ritsu felt himself warming up to the two boys, a new school didn't feel too bad if everybody was this friendly. This isn't going to be so bad after all.

*************

The boys walked noisily into the science lab. "Hey, lemme sit next to Fujima, I need to borrow his brains." Hachi squeezed himself in between Fujima and Ritsu. "Lend me the results of your physics experiment, I need to fake some data..." Hachi asked Fujima.

"No! Fake the data yourself!" Fujima replied. " You've been borrowing my results since last month already, that should teach you to sleep during experiments!" "I know...but please, I can't fake if I don't know the trend can I? Oh, please Fujima, please," - Hachi clasped his hands together and looked angelic - "Only till soccer season ends...Look, I'll cover up for you if you skip PE, you know Tonoyama-sensei likes me. He'll believe whatever I say..." Hachi pleaded his case. He grinned to himself. Fujima could never resist that offer, he hated PE the way fish hate being out of water.

Fujima frowned but eventually relented. "Oh alright...But you better..." Gods, he hated being manipulated. "Yes, yes I'll cover up for you..." Hachi grabbed the precious piece of homework.

All throughout the conversation, Ritsu had been quiet. Actually he had listened to the little squabble the 2 friends had but the entrance of a particular person diverted his attention.

"Ahh..." Ritsu stared dreamily at the girl of his dreams. She was gorgeous; long luscious locks of blonde hair, beautiful hazel eyes that sparkled and a melodious voice. She wasn't very tall but that didn't matter, he wasn't a tall guy himself. That figure and the face...Perfect, like an angel sent from Heaven. All that was missing was a pair of feathery wings. I really like this school…He leaned forward, placed his chin in his hands and stared dreamily.

Fujima and Hachi finally settled their little argument and turned back to Ritsu who of course, ignored them both now that the girl of his dreams was there. They followed his gaze and saw just exactly WHO Ritsu was smitten with.

"Oh god... Don't tell me…" Hachi whispered in horror.

"I think he does, look at his face..."

"Another one bites the dust! Noo...he can't, he must be sick of living I tell you..."

"It'll be one very short life...Do you tell him or I do?"

"You tell him...This is one girl he can't chase after, not if he wants to see the next sunrise..." Hachi told Fujima. "ME??!! You tell him, you're the one with personal experience!" Fujima shot back.

"You're the one who intends to skip PE!" Hachi replied. "'Sides, I don't have the heart to disillusion him..." Hachi sat back, assuming a martyred expression. "You're the intellectual one, you tell him," Hachi said loftily.

Fujima leaned in with an evil expression on his face. There was no way in hell Hachi was getting out of this one. "You tell him...or no more borrowing practical results from me. You need the results more than I want to skip PE..." Hachi turned pale at that thought; nobody else would lend him his or her homework. He scowled. "All right, you win." Fujima smiled happily. "That's a good boy... So what do you intend to say?" He asked in an amiable tone.

Hachi swallowed nervously. This was going to be tough.

Because...

Of all girls Ritsu had to have a crush on, it had to be Monou Kotori.

<end chapter 1>

Author's note: This is the first part of an abandoned fic. I wrote the first few chapters and was stuck for a grand few years. I originally posted this in 1998. But now inspiration has returned and I intend to finish the fic; really I do!