X-Men Fan Fiction ❯ HANDS OF A STRANGER ❯ THE CHOICE ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Choice
 
I'm rating this last chapter M. You will all understand why when you read the last scene, and don't cheat and skip to the end.
 
This story has been one crazy journey. When I first started I wasn't sure where I was going to go with it. Never have I started a story without an outline, but this is one of those cases, so I was pretty much stunned by the things I came up with.
 
Well, here's the last part, and I hope you all out there in the fan fiction universe enjoy. Thanks so much for hanging in there, and keep those reviews coming. I will definitely answer each and every one of your signed reviews, well, enough blabbing and on with the story.
 
Disclosure: I don't own X-Men or any of these characters, only Adrienne Foster belongs to me. I wrote this for fun, so hope you enjoy.
 
 
 

Remy Labeau paced the floor of the Med Bay at the Xaiver's School for the Gifted. The only reason he came to Westchester was for Rogue. She was the girl he loved, and she was in dire straights. It had been only a few hours, but Rogue had not awakened yet, and it was starting to make Remy nervous.
 
“Rogue, why you do dis t'Remy? Just wake up, dat's all I want. Can' ya do dat for Remy?” She didn't stir, and that made him more nervous than anything else did. “What ya be doin' up dere, aye?”
 
He held her hand, even through his gloves he could tell they were cold. He was so fixated on Rogue he didn't notice that Logan had walked in with a young woman. He only knew this when he heard the woman speak.
 
“Monsieur Labeau,” said the young woman, holding out her hand. Remy looked up at the woman, who looked about the same age as Rogue. That's where the similarity ended. She had light auburn hair in a mass of curls that was tied back in a ponytail. She wore glasses and a white lab coat. “My name's Adrienne Foster.”
 
“You here t'help Rogue?” he asked, turning his attention back to the woman he loved.
 
“I hope so,” she said. “What Logan tells me is that Rogue has a foreign mind trapped inside her.”
 
“Yeah, an' dat girl be tryin' t'take over. Logan brought her back.”
Remy looked over at Logan who had stayed silent until now. “Adrienne knows what she's doin'.”
 
“Logan, you give me too much credit.” Adrienne put her hands on either side of Rogue head. She was careful not to touch her skin. Adrienne closed her eyes, concentrating hard. After about a minute of this Adrienne stopped. It was obvious that she was a little weak. Logan helped her into a chair.
 
“Ya alright, darling?”
 
“Yes,” she said. “I just wasn't prepared for that.”
 
“So, what's goin' on wit Rogue?” Remy asked.
 
“Simple,” Adrienne said, after she regained her strength. “When her powers returned, they did so at an accelerated rate, and with Carol's unique DNA it made the transfer permanent.”
 
“Can ya undo it?” Remy asked.
 
“No,” Adrienne said, “not where the powers are concerned, but it is possible to return Carol to her own body, but
 
“But what?” Logan asked.
 
“One, it will take time, and two, it's no guarantee Carol will wake up, and even if she does her mind might be permanently damaged. So could Rogue's.”
 
Adrienne remained seated since she was still weak. “How you know dis?”
 
“Because I'm an empath.”
 
Another woman came into the Med Bay at that moment, a woman with long white hair and dark skin. “The highest level empath I have ever encountered,” she said and smiled at Adrienne.
 
Adrienne finally felt strong enough to stand. “Storm, it's so good to see you again.”
 
“So how's our patient?” Storm asked.
 
“Still unconscious, but I think I can help her. It's a good thing I contacted Logan a few weeks ago.” She looked over to the burly man, who had nothing to say. “So when he asked me to come here and help Rogue, I couldn't say no.”
 
“So how we gonna help Rogue?” Remy asked.
“With your help, we can help Rogue control Carol until we can find a way to return her to her body.”
 
“How am I gonna do dat?” Remy asked.
 
“You're an empath too, Monsier Labeau, low level, but combined with my powers, strong enough. That's if you're willing to risk yourself.”
“I do anyt'ing for Rogue.”
 
“Alright. It involves going inside her mind. She's too weak to fight Carol alone, but with you I think she can. With my power I can get you in, then the rest in up to you.”
 
“I'll do it,” Remy said, not even having to think about it. “Just tell me when.”
 
“Tomorrow morning,” Adrienne said. Remy was about to protest when Adrienne interrupted him. “Hey, this is a difficult process, and you're going to need all the rest you can get.”
 
“Mister Lebeau,” Storm said. “I will show you to your room.”
 
“I don't want to leave Rogue,” Remy said.
 
“I think you should take Adrienne's advice,” Storm said.
 
“Don't worry,” Logan said. “I'll stay with her.”
 
Storm escorted Remy out of the Med Bay, although he didn't really want to leave. She walked him up to the second floor and led him into one of the empty rooms. “Mister Labeau,” Storm said, “I took the liberty of having your things brought up.”
 
“My t'ings?” he questioned.
 
“There was two duffel bags. Logan brought them in.” Storm smiled at him. “Get some rest.”
 
He nodded to her after she took off down the hall. Remy walked into the room and sat down on the edge of the bed. His thoughts returned to Rogue. The funny way they had met, and how she trusted him so completely, and even after Bell and her brother was chasing after them. She never once lost her cool. He remembered the night they went dancing, and how beautiful she looked. He vowed he would get her through this even if was the last thing he did. He sat there, knowing he should really rest, but he couldn't. How could he, with her down in the Med Bay suffering.
 
The door to his room was opened which at first he didn't notice until a young man showed up in his doorway. “So, you're the one?” Remy looked up, confused by the young man's statement. He young walked into the room. “What did you do to her?” he asked.
 
Still, Remy was still confused. “Ya gotta problem wit Remy?”
 
“Yea, I got a problem with a low-life piece of scum like you. So what did you do to Rogue? ”
 
“What's it to ya?” Remy said, getting up off the bed.
 
“I'm Bobby,” he announced. Did she tell you about me?”
 
Remy's eyes flared. “You're Bobby,” Remy said, laughing. “Yea, Rogue told me `bout ya. Told me ya cheated on her. Dat's why she left here in da first place."
 
“That's between me a Rogue, so why don't you get out of here before you hurt her anymore.”
 
“I ain't da one dat hurt Rogue. Dat be your doin'. Remy ain't gonna stand for it.”
 
Bobby shot up his arm and out came a stream of ice. Remy easily dodged it. “Oh, little iceboy wanna play? Remy like t' play, too.”
 
He reached into his pocket for a playing card. It was the Queen of Hearts. That reminded him of Rogue. He quickly charged the card and threw it, but Bobby's entire body transformed into ice. The blast hit the side of the doorway, crumbling the wood and plaster around the doorframe. He quickly reached for a few more cards and continued his attack. One card hit Bobby in the leg and made him tumble to the ground. He returned to his normal human form and whaled in pain from the blast.
 
Remy had taken it easy on him. He didn't want to permanently damage him, just teach him a lesson. Remy approached him and picked him up by his shirt collar and slammed him up against the wall on the undamaged side of the doorway.
 
With his hands free, Bobby put them around Remy's throat. His hands generated a cold frost that threw Remy off guard; Bobby broke free and kicked Remy in the groin. The impact sent him to the floor, but he still had a crumpled up playing card in his hand. He quickly charged it and tossed it towards Bobby. He barely dodged it before Remy came at him again. Bobby blocked his attack with some effort, finding Remy at a weak point.
 
“Does Rogue know how violent you really are? Remy, is it?” Bobby asked sarcastically, trying to regain his footing.
 
“It's Gambit to you,” he said and lunged at him. He slammed him onto the floor and punched him squarely in the face.
 
Before long there were a crowd of spectators. Some of the younger students were watching the fight in anticipation, some chanting Bobby name and others encouraging Remy to kick his ass.
 
“Hey, hey, what's going on here?” Storm demanded. She had come back upstairs to bring Remy some blankets for the night. Logan came trailing behind.
 
He pushed his way through the crowd of kids in the efforts of breaking up the fight. He stepped in-between the two young men and unsheathed his craws. “Break it up,” Logan growled.
 
Storm made her way into the room, observing the damage, not only to the room, but the damage the two men inflicted on each other. “What's going on in here?”
 
Remy wanted to go after Bobby in the worst way if it wasn't for Logan. He knew he could have held his own with Logan, but he greatly respected the man for what he did for Rogue. Bobby was another story. Given the chance he would have torn him apart.
 
“Ya both just cool down.”
 
Storm approached Bobby. “Come with me. You need to get patched up.”
 
“Not until I take care of this scum,” Bobby shouted.
 
Remy's temper flared. “Bring it on, Icepick.”
 
“Shut up, Gumbo,” Logan demanded. “Get him out of here, Storm,” Logan said, not taking his eyes off Remy.
 
Bobby protested at first until he saw the snarl in Logan's voice. He then cooperated and left with Storm. Most of the kids were still gathered around. Logan looked on at the crowd. “Show's over,” he said, giving them all an intense look that most recognized as the `don't mess with me' expression.
 
The kids dispersed within minutes, leaving Logan alone with Remy.
 
Logan looked intensely at Remy and said, “What the hell was that all about?”
 
“Not Remy's fault,” he said, favoring his sore arm. “Iceboy attack Remy first.”
 
“All I saw was you punchin' him in face,” Logan accused.
 
“After he tried t' turn Remy into a ice sculpture. He t'ink Remy hurt Rogue. He be da one dat hurt her.” There was a look of hurt and exhaustion on his face, but there was also an intensity that told Logan that this young man only wanted to protect Rogue.
 
“Hey,” Logan started in a low voice. “I know that Iceman can be
 
“An ass,” Remy finished.
 
“Yea,” Logan said. “Hey, you know there's going to be hell to pay with Storm.” Logan pointed at the door.
 
For the first time Remy saw just how much damage was done. He walked over to the door and a laugh came to him. “No worry, Mon ami, Remy fix it.”
 
At that moment Storm walked into the demolished doorway. Logan saw the look on Storm's face. He knew just how livid she really was. “Mister Labeau,” she said, a stern look coming to her face. “I just heard Mister Drake's version of events, now I would like to know yours.”
 
Remy said nothing. He didn't feel he needed to explain himself.
 
“Better answer her, Gumbo,” Logan said.
 
“Remy got not'in' t' say.”
 
“Alright, but it's obvious you can't stay here tonight. There's another empty room down the wall. Try not to destroy that one, too.” She started to walk away when she turned back and added, “And another thing, Mister Labeau, if Rogue didn't need you so badly I would throw you out of here right now.” With that Storm walked swiftly down the hallway. He could hear the clack of her shoes. Each step sounding like a shot from a gun.
 
Remy grabbed the two duffel bags and took off down the hall unaware that Logan was following him. He didn't realize it until he reached the empty room.
 
“What was that about?” Logan asked standing in the doorway.
 
“Remy tol' why he beat up dat asshole.”
 
“No,” Logan said, growing impatient. “With Storm.”
 
“Remy don't need t' explain himself.”
 
“Maybe not to her, but ya do t'me.” Remy stopped cold. “You and Rogue.”
 
“I t'ought you be stayin' wit Rogue.”
 
“Adrienne's with her, now don't change the subject,” he said, pointing a finger at him. “You and Rogue. What's the deal?”
 
“Dat nobody's business,” Remy snapped.
 
“So there's somethin' there, ain't it?” The look on Remy's face told Logan that he didn't deny it, but he wouldn't confirm it either. “That girl's important to me, and if you can save her
 
“Remy do anyt'in' for Rogue. Dat all ya need t'know.”
 
“That's what I thought.”
 
Logan left Remy's room closing the door behind him. Remy was left alone with his thoughts. All he could think of was Rogue lying unconscious in that bed in the Med Bay. He looked at the duffel bag, her bag. He opened it and found her black lace gloves, lying on top of the pile. He picked them up and noticed her scent still lingering in the fabric. He wondered if it was his imagination.
 
The exhaustion was hitting him hard. It just wasn't his fight with Bobby. A fight he could handle, but the thought of losing Rogue was more then he could bear. He knew he needed sleep. If he were to help Rogue he would need all the rest he could get.
 
 
Remy's sleep was restless as he figured it would be. He rose before dawn and made his way to the kitchen to get a bite to eat. Then he headed straight for the Med Bay. Rogue was still unconscious and to him looked weaker than she had the day before. His anxieties rose at the sight of her pale skin and cold sweaty palms. She was unmoving. If it wasn't for the monitors he would swear she was dead.
 
He didn't want to take his eyes off her. He thought that if he did she would disappear out of his life forever. Until he met her he was just coasting through life, taking all he could get. She had changed him somehow, made see there was more to life then just existing, but here she was, lying there in that hospital bed, so pale and weak. He just couldn't stand it. He would save her; he had to. Life without her now was too unbearable to conceive.
 
He didn't know how long he'd been sitting at her bedside. He never tired of her beautiful face. Suddenly he heard footsteps outside the door. He looked up to see Adrienne, the young woman he met the day before, and a blue furred mutant he had never seen before. Was he some sort of doctor? He must have been by the way he was dressed. He wore a white lab coat and stethoscope hung around his neck.
 
Monsieur Labeau, Adrienne said. Did you sleep well?
 
Ain't gonna been restin' good `til Rogue's outta danger.
 
That's understandable, the blue-furred mutant said.
 
Monsieur Labeau, May I introduce Doctor Hank McCoy.
 
Hank reached out his hand. Remy graciously took it. “So when we getting' started? Remy asked.
 
“First,” Hank began, “we will need to check Rogue's vitals and hook you up to a monitor.”
 
“Dat not necessary. Remy's ain't sick. Rogue da one who in trouble.”
 
“While you're unconscious, I will need to monitor you.”
 
Hank instructed Remy to lie in the bed next to Rogue, Remy never once taking his eyes off of her. Twenty minutes later as the monitors made their continuous beeps, it almost drove Remy crazy, but he would endure it. For Rogue he would do anything.
 
“Are we ready?” Adrienne turned to Hank and asked.
 
“Everything's set,” Hank said. “The question is, are you?”
 
“Yes,” she said with no doubt in her mind. “Remy?” she said using his first name. He nodded.
 
Adrienne put her hands on either side of Rogue's head. “Close your eyes and concentrate. Focus all your energies on Rogue's emotions.”
 
Remy did as Adrienne instructed. Almost instantly he could feel a pull, one he couldn't control. He felt himself floating. He tried calling out Rogue's name, but nothing came out. He felt as if he was trapped in a black void, until he heard something. He gravitated towards the noise. It was a girl voice.
 
He found himself in a bedroom with a teenage girl screaming and boy lying unconscious on the floor. It was Rogue, but a much younger version of her. This was merely a memory. He could see the memory, but he couldn't be part of it. For the first time he realized he truly was in Rogue's mind. It had worked. Adrienne had done it. Only someone like her could have known about his empathic power, even as weak as it was.
 
His mind was now focussed. Rogue, the real Rogue was trapped here somewhere, and he was determined to find her. He screamed out her name, but he couldn't hear anything. Until
 
“Who are you?”
 
He turned to see a little girl of five, with long brown hair and green eyes, the same green eyes as Rogue's.
 
“Hey dare,” he said, squatting down to her level. “My name's Remy.”
“Are you looking for Rogue?” she said, clutching a teddy bear in her arms. She wore a simple green dress and white dress shoes. Was she just another memory? She couldn't be, because he could speak with her and touch her. “Follow me,” she said, taking his hand. “This way.”
 
He followed the little girl. This place seemed like a maze where nothing was real. There were closed doors they passed where he could hear bits of conversations and he wondered if it were memories that lied behind each one of those doors.
 
They walked along the maze, Remy wondering how long they had been walking. He was not one bit tired, just frustrated. All he wanted was to find Rogue, his Rogue. Finally they reached the end of a long hallway and approached the only open door. It was so dark inside, but he sensed something was in there.
 
“Save her,” the little girl said, looking up at him. There was a sadness in her eyes. He looked over to the door and back down to where the little girl was standing. A moment before she was next to him, and the next she disappeared into the darkness.
 
He walked into the dark room, where he heard the sound of weeping. He looking around for some sense of where the sounds were coming from. Suddenly a dim flash of light temporarily illuminated the place. There he saw her. He ran to her.
 
“Rogue, is dat you, chere?”
 
She looked into his eyes. She was shaking. “How?”
 
“Don't matter,” he said, putting his arms around her. It truly was his Rogue, trapped in this dark place in the back of her mind. “Remy get you outta here.”
 
“No,” she said, shaking her head frantically. “She'll hear. Ah can't
 
“Yes, ya can, Rogue,” he said, caressing her hair. “Remy help you.”
 
“Ah'm scared,” she said, tears forming in her eyes.
 
“Me too, but toget'er we get outta here. Toget'er we're strong.” A smile came to her face. “Ya trust Remy.”
 
“Yea,” she said, putting her arms around him. “Yah'll help me?”
 
“Always.” He helped her to her feet. “Are you ready?” She nodded, even though he could still see the fear in her eyes.
 
They walked together down the long hallways. She flinched at some of the closed doors when they started to open. She stopped dead in her tracks as she could see flashes of light peeking through one of the doors.
 
“What is it, chere?”
 
She hesitated for a moment then looked up into his face. “Nothing. Just a memory,” she said walking up to the door. She could feel the memory, one of the most terrifying of her life. “It's the night ah died.” He came up behind her and put his arms around her. “Logan saved me, and it almost killed him. It terrifies me sometimes.”
 
He turned her around and looked into her eyes. “Ya don't have t'be afraid a dose memories no more. Don't let dat girl use dose memories against ya.”
 
“Ah don't know how, Remy,” she said with tears falling down her face.
 
“Jus' t'ink of me,” he said, and leaned down and kissed her.
 
“Oh, that's so sweet.” Rogue turned around to see the image of Carol standing in front of them. “Is this your knight in shining armor? He looks a little tainted to me.”
 
“Stay away, Carol,” she said. Even though she was frightened, she was also determined. “This is my mind, not yours.”
 
“You should have thought of that before you used your power on me.”
 
“It was an accident, Carol. Ah didn't know that mah powers were gonna come back the moment yah touched me. Ah didn't mean t'do it. If ah could
“You'd what?” Carol shouted.” You'd take it all back. You can't do it, Rogue. It's already been done. This is my body now.”
 
“No,” Rogue shouted and went after her. “This is my body, Carol. Yah can't have it.”
 
Remy, focus your energy on Rogue. He could hear the voice of Adrienne. By instinct he listened. He could see Rogue struggling with Carol, but this was her fight. She had to defeat Carol on her own. She was strong. He knew that from the beginning. A woman who could hold her own with Bell and Julien even without her powers could certainly win this battle.
 
Rogue rose to her feet with Carol lying on the ground. “Remember, Carol. This is my body. I make the decisions, not you.”
 
Suddenly Carol disappeared. Remy was dumbfounded. “She's gone?” Remy questioned.
 
“No, she's still here, but ah'm in charge now.” He came over to embrace her. “Ah'm not afraid anymore.”
 
He smiled at her and embraced her one last time. Next thing he knew he found himself lying in the Med bay still hooked up to the monitors. Adrienne was breathing heavy but still standing. She hovered over Remy's bedside.
 
“You did it,” she said.
 
“No,” he said, speaking through the exhaustion. “Rogue did.”
 
“Only because you gave her the strength. Only you could have done that. She's your soul mate.” Remy looked stunned at Adrienne's words, but somehow knew they were true. “You should rest. Rogue will probably sleep for a day or two. When she wakes, she'll need you.”
 
“How she doin'really,” Remy asked.
 
“Vitals are normalconsidering,” Hank said. “Now all she needs is rest as you do, my friend.”
 
 
Remy awoke a few hours later. Rogue was still asleep, but she looked much more peaceful. He eased himself off of the bed as Hank came back into the room.
 
“Mister Labeau,” Hank said, walking over to him. “There's something I need to discuss with you.”
 
“Sounds serious,” he said, looking a little paranoid. “Rogue's gonna be alright?”
 
“Oh, yes, Mister Labeau. This is about you. I've run some tests and came to some interesting conclusions.” Remy looked intrigued. “It seems you have an anti-absorbing gene. It laid dormant for a long time, perhaps all you life, but something has awakened it. This is very peculiar.”
 
“What dis mean?”
 
“It means you may be immune to Rogue's powers.”
 
“So Remy can touch her wit'out being knock flat on his back?”
 
“That's a colorful way of putting it, but yes,” Hank said.
 
Hank soon left after checking on Rogue. Remy was left alone in the Med Bay with the unconscious Rogue. He was apprehensive, but he had slightly brushed his hand against her face. Nothing happened. Either he really was immune to her power, or it didn't work when she was unconscious. There was only truly surefire way to test it, and it would have to wait until Rogue woke up.
 
 
Remy stayed in the Med Bay all day and most of the night, until Adrienne convinced him to get a bite to eat. It was about five a.m. the next morning that she finally began to stir. Adrienne remained by her bedside as Rogue opened her eyes.
 
She saw the young woman with a long auburn hair looking down at her. Rogue was confused and agitated. “Where am ah?” she asked, trying to rise out of bed.
 
“Take it easy,” Adrienne said. “You've had a rough couple day.”
 
“Where's Remy?” she asked, becoming more agitated.
 
“Rogue, calm down. You're at the Institute in Westchester. Don't you remember? Logan and Remy brought you here.”
 
“Ah wanna see Remy. Where is he?”
 
“He'll be back soon. Logan's here, too. Do you want me to call him?” Adrienne asked.
 
“Alright,” Rogue said, relaxing a little. She still felt so weak, but oddly she didn't feel the pull of Carol, at least not as much as she did before.
Adrienne rose from Rogue's bedside and walked over to the comlink on the wall. “Hey, Logan, it's Adrienne. Rogue's awake, and she's asking for you.”
 
“Be right there,” he said through the speaker. Rogue heard his voice and realized how much she really missed him.
 
Within minutes Rogue saw his familiar form come through the door. He smiled at her when he could see that she was awake and alert.
 
Adrienne smiled and said, “I'll leave the two of you alone.” She walked out the door of the Med Bay, not that Rogue noticed, because she was too focused on Logan.
 
“Hey, kid, how ya feelin'?”
 
“Tired,” Rogue said, her voice quiet. “Ah woke up and didn't know where ah was. How'd ah get here?”
 
“Me and that Cajun brought ya here,” he said, he face looking disgusted at the thought of Remy. “We need to have a talk about your taste in men.”
 
“Yea, alright,” Rogue said with a little laugh. “We can start with you.”
He couldn't argue that. “So tell me. He treat you right.”
 
“Logan!” she said, shocked. “He was a prefect gentlemen.” She face wore an odd smile, thinking about all the things she and Remy went through, and all the little ways he showed he cared. “Got somethin' ta tell ya.”
 
“What's that, Darlin'?”
 
“Yah don't have t'worry `bout Remy. He's a good man, an' umm I love `im.”
 
“And what about Bobby?” Logan asked.
 
“Ah don't know. Ah mean, ah care `bout `im, but not like Remy. Ah can't explain it. From the moment ah met `im there was somethin'. But promise me one thing.”
 
“What's that?” Logan asked.
 
“Don't kill `im,” she said, her eyes gleaming. Logan was shocked that she would say something like that to him, but if she only knew how bad he roughed up Bobby after she left. He would have snapped the kid into if Storm hadn't stopped him.
 
Rogue looked like she was going to doze off again. “Hey, kid, I'll let ya get some sleep. I'll be back later.”
 
“Okay, but the promise?”
 
“Alright, I promise I won't kill him, but if he does something
“Okay, okay, but yah don't have to worry.”
 
He smiled at her before walking out of the room. She fell asleep again for a while before being awakened by the door of the Med Bay opening again. Rogue turned to see who it was.
 
“Bobby?” she said, finally finding the strength to sit up again. “Why yah here?”
 
“I wanted to see you, Rogue,” he said. “I thought maybeyou could give me another chance.”
 
“What?” Rogue said, looking appalled. “No, Bobby. Ah can't.”
 
“Come on, Rogue,” Bobby pleading with her. “I just made a mistake. I don't love Kitty. I realized that when you left. I missed you.” He was rambling, but she felt as if he were being sincere which made what she had to say even harder.
 
“Bobby,” she said, refusing to look at him, “I can't.” She mustered the strength to look him in the eye. She had to. It was the only way he was going to understand. “Ah don't love you.”
 
“You love him, don't you?” Rogue said nothing, which made Bobby go into a fit. “Rogue, why him?”
 
“Ah don't know,” she said. “Why does anybody love anyone?” She looked up, and suddenly she noticed the bruise on his face. “Were you in a fight?” Bobby was silent. “Oh, gawd, Bobby, don't tell me. Yah'll got into a brawl with him, didn't yah?”
 
“How did you?”
 
“What yah say to `im?” Rogue asked, looking disgusted.
 
“Why do you think it's me? That savage
 
“Bobby!” she shouted. “He ain't no savage. He's the man I love.”
Rogue stopped dead in her tracts. Did she actually say that to Bobby? How could she be confessing this to her ex-boyfriend?
 
“Is that really true?” She nodded shyly with a glow coming to her face. That's when he knew it was true. “Then I guess there's no possible way me and you will ever
 
“No, Bobby,” Rogue said. “Ah'm sorry. Ah didn't mean for it t'happen. Ah didn't leave wantin' t'find some guy t'replace yah. We jus' met an' somethin' happened. I love `im. That's all there is to it.”
 
“Well, I hope we can still be friends. After all, you were my first love.”
 
“Alright, but promise me yah won't get inta any more fights with `im.”
 
He nodded and embraced her. Unbeknownst to both Bobby and Rogue Remy was just outside the door. He took off before either of them knew he was there.
 
Bobby left a few minutes later while Rogue got a few more hours sleep. When she awake she felt more refreshed. Enough so that she got out of bed. If she truly had been sick she didn't feel it. Hank came in to find her up and about and dressed in her everyday clothes instead of her hospital gown.
 
“Rogue, you should be resting.” Hank said.
 
“Ah feel fine,” she said, feeling more energized then she had in days. “Besides, ah hate hospitals, an' there ain't any reason for me t'be here anymore.”
 
“Alright, but I want you to page me if you feel any sort of weakness.”
 
“Okay, can ah go now?” Hank nodded and Rogue raced out of the Med Bay. Rogue walked down the hallway and climbed the stairs to the second floor. Half way up she saw Jubilee.
 
“Hey, Rogue, thought you there dying or something.”
 
“Not yet, Jubs,”she said, laughing at Jubilee's over dramatics. “Hey, ah'm lookin' for somebody.”
 
“Oh, could it be that guy,” Jubilee said, a lusty look coming to her face.
“If yah talkin' about Remy, yeah, and get that look outta your eye. He's too old for yah.”
 
“But not for you,” she said, she voice sounding like a chime. Rogue couldn't help laughing at her over-exuberance. “Oh, yea,” Jubilee said, a thought popping into her head. “I saw him in his room, packing.”
 
“Packin'? What for?” Rogue inquired.
 
“I don't know,” she said, seeming to grow tired of all these questions. “It's at the end of the hall, if you're looking.”
 
“Thanks, Jubs,” Rogue said, and ran the rest of the way up the stairs. She made her way to the end of the hall, and saw the door wide open. “Goin' somewhere?” she asked.
 
Remy looked up to see Rogue standing in the doorway. He stopped dead in his tracks. Her deep green eyes dug deep into his soul. She stepped inside and closed the door. She slowly walked up to him.
 
“Yah weren't thinkin' of leavin' without me, were yah?”
 
“Ya don' need Remy no more,” he said, continuing to put some things in a bag. “Saw ya wid dat iceboy.”
 
“Bobby?” she asked, thinking it was a little funny. Remy was jealous, not that he needed to be. “What about him?”
 
“Saw de two a you. Look like ya work t'ings out.”
 
“What?” she asked, trying to get him to look at her. “Ah'm not back with Bobby. Like ah told `im, ah
He looked up at her. She suddenly became awkward. “Somet'in' ya wanna tell me, chere?”
 
She looked up at him, the shyness disappearing. “Ah told `im that ah
didn't want `im back, `cause ah'm in love with someone else.” She took a hold of his gloved hand. “You,” she said, and a tear rolled down her face.
 
“Dat true, chere?” he asked, touching his gloved hands on either side of her face. She nodded, a small smile forming. He put his arms around her and held her.
 
After time she broke the embrace. “But you know it's impossible. With mah power I can't” She turned away from him.
 
“Rogue,” he said. “Please, look at me.” She did, but there was a bit a depressed look about her. “Do you trust Remy?”
 
“Yah know ah do,” she said.
 
“Den do somet'in' for me,” he said. She nodded. “Close your eyes.”
 
She hesitated at first, but then said, “Okay.” She closed her eyes slowly and waited. Suddenly she felt his lips on hers. She jerked away, but then realized that nothing had happened. He looked stunned by her action. “Remy, nothin' happened. I didn'thow? Are mah powers gone again?”
 
“Non, Hank say dey still dere, but ya can't hurt Remy wid dem.”
 
“Yah mean, they don't affect you,” she said. “How?”
 
“Don't know, chere,” he said. “Don't really matter. Would you like Remy t'kiss yah again?”
 
“Yea,” she said, smiling and crying at the same time. He leaned in and kissed her again, this time long and hard, there tongues intertwining together. The taste of her waking the urges inside him, and she could feel it too. His hands slowly wrapped around her as hers did with him. His hands found their way inside her tank top, as she grew suddenly tense.
 
He backed off a little. “Something wrong, chere?”
 
“No, it's just,”she said, the words refusing to come. “Ah wanna be with yah, ah do. Ah'm just scared is all.”
 
“Scared a Remy?” he askd, taking her hands.
 
They sat together on the edge of the bed. “No, not of you, ah just neverAh mean ah haven't been” She turned away, seeming to be embarrassed by her own words.
 
He put his hand on her chin forcing her to look at him. “Ya telling Remy you a virgin?” She nodded. He smiled and brushed his hand to her cheek. “Dat's okay. We don' have t'do dis now.”
 
“But ah want to. Ah was just a little scared.” She leaned forward, putting her lips to his. She was just as excited at prospect as he was. “I want you, Remy. Do you want me?”
 
“Know I do. From da moment I saw ya, Rogue.”
 
“Actually, it's Marie,” she said, smiling at him.
 
“What?” He looked confused.
 
“Mah real name. I just wanted you to know.”
 
She rose from the bed and began the removal of her clothes. She felt a little self-conscious at first, but the look on his face took her fears away. First she removed her top, then her jeans, until she stood before him in her panties and bra. He stood before her removing his clothing, observing the expressions on her face.
 
When he had stripped down to his boxers, he picked her up and laid her on the bed. He leaned down to kiss her once again. He soon joined her on the bed, working his way down to her neck to the top of her breasts. He easily undid the back of her bra and discarded it onto the floor. He worked his way down hearing her moans of pleasure.
 
“Remy, stop teasing me,” she said, her breathing heavy. “I want you so bad.”
 
“Are ya sure?” he said, looking her into her beautiful eyes.
 
“Yes,” she said, this time with no apprehension and no fear. He removed his boxers while she removed her panties. She spread her legs wide giving him full access. He entered her gently at first. She cried out in pleasure. “Oh, Remy, oh, god.” She cried out again. She moved in sync to his rhythm. The pleasure heightening with each thrust. She screamed out his name three more times and he screamed hers, her real name, over and over until he lay spent on top of her.
 
He rolled over to the other side of the bed. She curled up next to him. She looked into his eyes. “What do we do now?” she asked as she lay in his arms.
 
“Ya tire Remy out,” he said with a little laugh. He was teasing her, which annoyed her a little.
 
“No, ah mean do we stay here, or keep movin'? Ah mean, would yah want t'go back to New Orleans, or go somewhere else.”
 
He looked serious for a moment. “Ya mean, go home?” She nodded. “Remy is home. Wherever you are is home.”
 
“So, yah wouldn't mind if we stay for awhile?”
 
“Whatever yah want, chere. Dat jus' fine wit Remy.”
 
She smiled to herself. She was content. In the hands of a stranger she found the one thing she missing, the other half of her soul, and in his arms she would forever stay and he in hers.
 
Well, here we are at the end. This has been quite a journey, and thanks to all of you who reviewed. I hope you enjoyed this story as much as I did, but don't be too disappointed. I'm hard at work on a sequel. So I'll see you all soon on the next journey.