X-Men Fan Fiction ❯ Ordinary World ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 

**************************


~ Papers in the roadside tell of suffering and greed ~

 

~ Here today, forgot tomorrow ~

 

The sun came out the next morning to dry the land after nearly three days of non-stop rain.  Remy's eyes fluttered open and he smiled at the irony of it all.  It was as if the hurt and sorrow that he and Rogue had felt these last couple of days had been displayed by the heavens for the entire world to see.  And now, with his decision to put an end to the torment, the heavens were smiling down in approval, like a tremendous weight had been lifted.  He crawled out of bed and reached into the pocket of his trench coat for his sunglasses.  Making his way over to the window, he covered his eyes and opened the curtain.  Yes, it was a truly glorious day.  He took a moment to appreciate the dawn, and then slowly moved back to the bed.  Sitting down on the edge, he reached for the phone and dialed a number, closing his eyes when a familiar voice answered.

 

Rogue stirred from her slumber to the sounds of waves and seagulls.  She turned over in the bed and stared at the sheers covering the window.  The protection they afforded from prying eyes was sufficient, yet they were thin enough to allow her to see the scenery outside without much interference.  And what she saw made her smile.  The light flooding into the room warmed her soul and made her feel wonderfully dizzy.  Today she would make things right.  She would search for him and bring him back to her, no matter what it took.  Just as she was about to throw back the covers to leave the comfort of bed and seek out the phone book, the telephone rang and startled her.  Carefully, she reached out a trembling hand and picked up the receiver to answer.  There, on the other end, was the very person she wanted.

 

~ Ooh, here besides the news of holy war and holy need ~

"Hello?" she queried into the phone.

 

"Chere?" he replied from his end.

 

"Oh Remy.  I've been so worried.  Where are ya, sugah?"

 

"I checked into a motel.  I needed t' t'ink."

 

"Remy, I…I'm sorry for what I said.  I didn't mean it.  I was just angry and…and" her words caught in her throat.

 

"I know, me too.  I shouldn't a left like dat.  But, I needed t' get away and t'ink"  He sighed into the phone.  "Chere…..Rogue, I wan' t'talk about dis.  I wan' t'come back home."

 

"I'd like that very much, Remy.  Ya come on back now and I'll make us some breakfast."

 

"Non, petite.  I'll pick up some sugar stuffs and y' make de coffee."  She could almost see his smile through the phone. 

 

They hung up the phone and she hurried to get dressed.  She knew that their debate was far from over, but it was a start.  And she was more than willing to try that compromise thing she had promised to herself last night.

 

Remy checked out of the motel and headed for the local bakery.  Picking up a variety of pastries, he headed back to the home that they shared.  As he pulled up to the house, he turned off the engine and stared out the windshield at the little cottage.  She was in there, waiting for him.  He took a deep breath and stepped out of the vehicle, making his way to the door.  Pausing for a moment, he fumbled for his keys and opened the door to step inside.  He stopped and stared at her from across the room.  She was holding two cups of coffee in her hands and she met his gaze.  After a few minutes, he broke the silence.

 

"Honey, I'm home." He smirked.  Remy closed the door behind him and walked towards the couch, setting the pastry box onto the coffee table.  Rogue moved to join him and handed him his cup of coffee as they both sat down.  He shifted one leg up to turn his body towards her.  She, in turn, brought both her legs up and hugged them in front of her, never moving her gaze from his face.  He leaned forward and brought his hand up to push a stray lock of hair out of her face, tucking it behind her ear.  As he moved his hand away, she grabbed it and brought his palm to her lips, placing a sweet and gentle kiss there.  He cupped her cheek and moved forward to place his lips on hers.  After a moment, he pulled back and ran his fingers through his hair.

 

"I'm sorry, chere.  Forgive Remy for being selfish." 

 

"There's nothing to forgive, sugah.  I'm the one that's being selfish.  Forgive me for saying what I did about your…." her words were stopped by a finger placed on her lips.  She looked at him questioningly. 

 

"We bot' said t'ings in anger."  He admitted.

 

~ Ours is just a little sorrowed talk ~

 

They both sat there a while, sipping their coffee and enjoying each others company in silence.  Neither seemed anxious to start, fearing the conversation would lead down the same path to the same argument.  The morning wore on and the awkwardness grew between them.  Finally, they decided to end the stalemate.

 

"Rogue", "Remy" they both started simultaneously. They stopped and stared at each other, then Rogue giggled. 

 

"Y' go first, chere." Remy smiled.

 

"Sugah, I've been thinking and I decided that if ya don't want kids, then I can live with that.  As long as I'm with ya."  Rogue reached over and grasped his hand, pulling it into her lap as she looked into his eyes.

 

"Non, chere.  I've been t'inkin' too.  I know how much y' want chil'uns and I want dat for y'." Remy brought her hand to his mouth and placed a gentle kiss.

 

"That's sweet Remy, but I know ya don't really want that.  We don't have to have kids."

 

"But y' want dem, Rogue.  We'll have dem."

 

"No, sugah, we won't have them."

 

"Oui, chere, we'll have dem."

 

"No, Remy, we won't."

 

"Oui, Rogue, we will."

 

"No we won't"

 

"Oui  we will"

 

"NO WE WON'T"

 

"OUI WE WI…."  Remy stopped mid rant as he watched Rogue double-over in a hysterical laughing fit.  His brows furrowed in anger. "What's so DAMN funny?"

She was cackling so hard that tears were forming and she was gasping for breath. 

 

"Ya…(hahaha)…..me…(hehehehe)…R 30;and……" She couldn't form words for lack of oxygen, so she started motioning her hand between the two of them, pointing her finger back and forth and howling in laughter.  Remy realized what she was laughing at and he too began to chuckle.  After a few minutes, she was able to regain her composure and look him straight in the eye.

 

"Ain't we a pair, sugah."  She finally managed to squeak out, wiping her eyes with the backs of her hands.

 

"Dat we are, chere.  Dat we are." He beamed back. 

 

"Alright, let's try this again." She started.  "Remy, ya know it's always been my dream to have a family of my very own.  But, I know now that I can't force my dreams on ya.  And, I can't live without ya.  I'm willing to compromise if it means we'll be together."

 

"Non, chere.  Dat's not it.  Y' just took me by surprise when y' started talking 'bout having dem now.  I'm not ready, I know dat.  I haven't even adjusted to life wit'out powers." Remy finally admitted.

 

"I understand, hun.  I'm willing to wait until ya're ready.  But, do ya think ya'll ever be ready?"

 

"I dunno.  I just worry about it.  What if our kids grow up in a world run by a madman?  What if our kids grow up to be de madman running de world?  What if our kids have physical or mental problems?  What if…" Remy stopped with a shrug.

 

"What do ya want, Remy, a guarantee?  These are kids, sugah, not appliances.  We don't know what's gonna happen.  But, we can't live our lives by what ifs and fears."  Rogue reached over and again grasped his hand.  "Every morning when we wake up and get out of bed, we're making a choice to live, to take that chance that today everything will be fine.  Because, the alternative is to never leave the house.  And that's not living, sugah.  That's just existing."  

 

"I hear what y' saying, chere.  Don't make it any easier."

 

"No one said life was easy, darlin'.  If anyone knows how hard it can be, it's us X-Men.  But, even with life's little ups and downs, the thrill is the ride."  Moving closer to him, she cupped his face in her hands so their eyes met.  "Why don't we just take it one day at a time and see what happens.  If it's meant to be, it'll be.  If not, then it weren't.  Either way, we take that ride together.  'Kay?"

 

He brought his hand up to her cheek and stroked with his thumb.  A calm resolution shown in his eyes and he smiled sweetly at her.  "Oui, chere.  Dat sounds like a bon plan."  

 
~ And I don't cry for yesterday, there's an ordinary world, ~

~ Somehow I have to find. ~

 

~ And as I try to make my way, to the ordinary world... ~

~ I will learn to survive. ~


~ Every world, is my world... (I will learn to survive) ~


~ Any world, is my world ... (I will learn to survive) ~

 

The End.