X-Men Fan Fiction ❯ The Angel's Gift ❯ Ch 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

See disclaimers in Ch 1

~ represents telepathy

italics represent thoughts

 

CH 2

 

"But Professeur, why can't I go?"  Remy was very nearly whining at this point, having been unsuccessful at convincing the professor to neither postpone the trip nor send him along.

 

"Gambit we have been through this already.  It is a one person mission and you would only be in the way, a distraction from the task at hand."  Xavier's brows were knitted together and his hand went out palm side up to emphasize his plea for understanding.

 

"But, Professeur, dat still don't explain…"  Remy didn't get to finish his statement before the Professor waved him to a halt.

 

"The decision is final.  I will hear no more of this.  She is going alone and she is going now."  He paused for a moment, pinching the bridge of his nose.  "Look Gambit, I appreciate your desire to be with Rogue on this mission, especially at this time of year.  And I'm truly sorry that it worked out this way.  But, there is no choice in the matter and we'll both have to deal with that.  I want her here for Christmas as much as anyone.  There is nothing worse than for a member of this family to be away on business during this time of year." 

 

"Family, eh?  Some family."  With that, Gambit stomped off in order to find her and spend as much time with her as possible before she left.  Professor Xavier sighed sadly at the encounter.  Shaking his head in frustration, he turned back to the mound of paperwork waiting on his desk.

 

***********

 

"Dere you are, chere.  Leaving so soon?  And before dis old t'ief can say goodbye?"  Gambit strolled into the hangar with a wide grin and his arms outstretched.  He may not be happy with the way things were turning out, but he was determined to not fight with her or cause her grief before she left him.

 

"Remy!  So glad you decided to come see me off, swamp rat."  Rogue met him halfway and embraced him lovingly, being careful not to squeeze too hard.  She was nearly invulnerable with super strength, now, and had learned to be gentle with shaking hands or giving out hugs so as to not break any of her friends' bones. 

 

She pulled away from him and cupped his face, staring directly into his exotic red on black eyes.  "Listen, sugah, I want ya to participate in the holiday stuff with everyone."  He rolled his eyes at her and started to protest until she quieted him.  "Please, Remy.  It's important to me that ya try to be a part.  I know ya don't think anyone wants ya around, but it's not true.  If ya're gonna be a member of the X-men family, ya're gonna have to participate in the holiday get together."

 

He sighed heavily.  "But chere, it won't be de same wit'out you.  I bought de ot'ers gifts like you told me, but I dunno if I'll be dere.  It be easier if I stay in my room, non?" 

 

She shook her head.  "No, Remy.  Ya need to participate in the gift exchange and dinner.  Maybe some of the decorating too.  It'll mean the world to me if I'm not worrying about ya being in your room by yourself.  Please."  He finally nodded in resignation.  Never leaving his gaze, she continued.  "I know spending this Christmas with me meant a lot to ya.  I'll make it up to ya somehow, I promise.  Save your gift until I get back and we'll have a special evening to exchange 'em , just the two of us.  We'll maybe have a little candle light, some soft music, good food and wine…."  Her voice trailed off as she moved to within a whisper of his lips.  She placed a gloved finger over his lips, closed her eyes and then touched her lips to the back of her finger.  "Don't go getting into trouble while I'm gone, hun" she whispered breathily. 

 

He was panting as he pulled her tighter into the embrace and tucked her head underneath his chin.  "Never, chere" he murmured in a husky voice and kissed her hair.  She glanced back up at him as if memorizing his features, and then pulled away from him to head towards the plane. 

 

As she reached the plane, she turned back to him and called out.  "I'll have my cell phone, Remy.  But, don't call me no matter how bad ya want to, or it may blow my cover.  I'll call ya when I can."  He nodded in response and waved as she smiled at him and disappeared. 

 

Walking up beside him, Logan watched with the Cajun as the plane left.  Placing his arm across Gambit, he patted his back.  "C'mon Gumbo, I'll buy ya a drink."