X-Men Fan Fiction ❯ The Balance of Nature ❯ Chapter two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N:I apologize if this chapter seems choppy. I meant for it to be quick, to the point that it looks like scenes are flashing after a certain part but I don't know how that came across for those who read it.
.
..
...
Marie woke up early two weeks later in inside the resort's room perfectly happy as she looked at the lump in the bed that would be her husband. Deciding not to wake him she slipped out of the large bed and walked straight into the shower...she planned on taking a nice, long hot bath to relax her sore muscles. Instead, she chose the shower because there was this itching inside of her to get out really quick and go exploring the area around her.
 
The water hit her grimy flesh with a hiss and she just relaxed through the whole thing, scrubbing her hair every now and then extra harshly and then going back to just basking under the stream. Minutes later she stepped out and dried off before looking for her bathing suit she put in the bathroom.
 
"I can't believe we're married!" Marie said quietly to herself as she slipped on the one piece. She had to remind herself not to slip something over it, seeing as she didn't have her mutation any more, and it seemed very odd to just walk around in so little clothing now
 
Saying a quick goodbye to Bobby, he remained asleep throughout the whole thing- Marie walked out the door and down the hall easily enough until she got to the first floor. There she was greeted with a loud roar and it startled her fully. Banners of Congratulations and Just Married were weaved through the group and all she could do was smile embarrassedly and thank them.
 
Ms. Marvel was the only one to follow her back with the cart of presents as her reason for helping. The blond lady smiled at Marie as they pushed and pulled the cart to where Bobby was still sleeping. The kind mutant walked over to Marie, still wearing the same smile of happiness.
 
"You've overcome yourself and made a choice, don't let anyone tell you different." Ms. Marvel said gently.
 
"I know," Marie said as she tucked her strip of white hair behind her ear.
 
The older lady pulled Marie into an impromptu hug and Marie smiled to herself. She felt so much energy flowing through her, she felt so strong. The world span out and she was left grasping as her head started pounding. When she pulled back she found that the kind Ms. Marvel was as limp as a noodle and oh so cold.
 
Panic set in, then fear. Marie prodded at the limp mutant with a needing cry. Tears spilt down, one then two drops as it splashed onto the floor. "Wake up!"
 
"Help! Somebody! Help!!!" Marie cried out in despair. "Something's wrong!"
 
Marie was numb as she let Ms. Marvel go to a faceless person, she was numb as her body sunk to the floor, and she was just as numb when someone came out of her room with a dead Bobby in their arms. Internally she died, on the outside it seemed only as if she was crying. She felt herself falling into darkness as her head pounded and she knew that people were trying to help her but she didn't know if there was anything to save.
 
She was gone, again, and this time she didn't know if she was going to come back. Her life meant nothing to her now, she had killed. She had killed two people, she was a murderer and she was a widower. Marie had not killed them; Rogue had killed them as she had almost been killed.
 
All that was left inside of Marie was Rogue...and a Rogue is an eternal thing it seemed.
 
When Marie, no Rogue, realized this time seemed to slow down and speed up at the same time. She couldn't hear people and she couldn't even seem to understand that she had move that was how great the shock of her reappearing powers gave to her. Vaguely she felt her numbed body being picked up by covered hands and that she heard someone telling her they were going to a hospital.
 
Rogue didn't know how they were able to get through the examination with her, someone must have told them she was a special mutant or something because everything but her splitting headache seemed to be in order. Of course, nothing could be well anymore with her precious Bobby dead but at least her physical body was in the best condition it could be. Rogue's blurred eyes caught wisps of light and she could barely hear the shuffling of feet against the cold white linoleum.
 
She didn't now if it was days or hours later but someone was sitting beside her bed, clenching her hand through fabric and a doctor was on the other side. Rogue's eyes were to blurry and her hearing to fuzzy to understand anything completely but what she heard was disconcerting and she had no reason to focus into it.
 
(“This is a special case, for all right's it should not have happened.”
 
“What can be done?”
 
“Take it out completely, that would be my suggestion, the mass won't die if you donate it to the lab.”
 
“And of her?”
 
“She'll live.”
 
“Then start the proceeded.”)
That was all she heard and the only thing Rogue could get out of it was the fact that something was wrong with her and it was being taken out by a surgery or something. After that she couldn't remember anything but the pain of a splitting headache and the numb sleep induced by gas.
 
It was a miracle when she did wake up and was conscious enough to think that Rogue knew it would be horrible to be in a coma, but she knew still that it was worse to live. Living meant being hurt and she knew in death you could no longer hurt. She sat up slowly, noticing how her body seemed so very sore, and looked to the unidentified woman on her side.
 
This woman had light skin, a sleek form, with black hair cut shortly and light brown eyes. She wore a black skirted suit with a simple white shirt underneath and a set of normal black heals. She looked almost professional and something about her was very familiar to Rogue.
 
“Who are you?”
 
The voice she got out was unfamiliar to her, “Someone who wants to help you in your condition.”
 
“Good luck,” Rogue scuffed harshly, “Nothing can help me. I should just die, I killed Bobby.”
 
“No, the government killed your husband. They did not tell the mutant community that the so called cure was only temporary. It is not your fault he is dead, it is there's.”
 
The words were so soothing, so rational that Rogue found herself slipping into them. “It's there fault then?”
 
“Yes. I am here to train you so you can take revenge on them all.”
 
“Thank you,” Rogue said as she slipped back into her dream world.
 
-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
"Push, how do you expect to dodge their missiles if you don't test yourself now?" The lady from before in the hospital dictated to Rogue as said young adult spun in the air.
 
Rogue, after discovering her reawaken powers also found that she had gained Ms. Marvels as well. Her strength was eye turning and her body could lift into the air with some concentration, she could even fly without the aid of wings. It came at the cost of a voice in her head, angrily hissing at her more times then she cared to count, and the person she received more powers from was in a coma. For some reason the site of her prone form bothered Rogue more then anything, almost as much as the site of her late husband's dead body.
 
Rogue descended to the ground, holding her mouth as a wave of air sickness washed over her. This was something she was not going to get used to, the feeling of sickness every morning she trained in the sky. She groaned as it settled back down, wishing for once it would just come up and spill out. Rogue sat down and closed her eyes, despite what her instructor may have wanted, trying to calm down the headache and sickness she had. She ignored the feeling that something was missing from her, because she already knew what it was. Her love, her heart and her will to live for living.
 
"What do you think you're doing?" Miss Nova, her instructor and tutor, demanded softly as her feet came closer.

"I feel sick, can I take a break?" Rogue asked as she stood up again. "I've been practicing since the sun came up and all I want to do is throw-up."
 
"It would have been worse if the child survived." Miss Nova said with a sneer.

"Child?" Rogue asked alarmed, "What child?"


"Don't worry about it, the kid isn't your problem anymore."
 
 "My problem? It was mine?" Rogue asked as a tingly feeling sunk deep into her bones, the world blurred out, "How did, why did...I mean, how did you know?"

"I was there when the doctor said, I was being the good mother after all..." Her voice was changing, "I have to make up for all those years now."
 
It hit her all at once as she saw blue skin ripple around the face and Rogue did the only thing she knew how to do in this situation. Turning around quickly Rogue brushed away the angry, hurt tears as she took to the sky and speed away. The wind wiped at her cheeks and she felt the need to cry out, but rained that in as she flew over the few cabins scattered in the area.
 
'I was going to have a child?' Rogue's thought span as she straightened her flight pattern. 'Why didn't anyone tell me?'
 
The feeling of something missing crept back into her, and she forcibly landed. With the force of her fall she created a small crater in the dirt and punched the ground once more with frustration. A whimper escaped her and she yelled out, screaming her sadness to every spirit or human, even mutants out there.