X-Men Fan Fiction ❯ X-Men: Kitty and Illyanna ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kitty and Illyanna: A tale of Magik! Part Three

        Dr. Strange smiled to himself happily, dressed to the nines and returning home from a night out. The sanctum was peaceful from the outside, the old mansion rising up like some ancient fortress, protecting the world from dark magics. 'But appearances can be deceiving,' he thought.

        He frowned as he opened the front door, feeling a odd mystical vibe from within. With a gesture Dr. Strange transformed his suit to his typical mystic's garb and strode down the long hallway. He cautiously opened up the door to the main parlor, blinking in honest surprise upon seeing the small, white rabbit like creature scurry by his foot on eight little insect like legs. "What in the world?" he said in surprise.

        Kitty was wielding a large mallet, hammering down on any of the pale creatures nearby her. Illyanna wielded a similar device on the other side of the room, while a dark haired younger girl was clobbering them in the middle. There seemed to be only a few of the creatures left, but the room itself was a complete shambles, the tea service spilled across the floor.

        Both of his apprentices saw him enter the room, Kitty gasped to him, "Wait a minute!" even as the brown haired girl took out another bunny- thing.

        Dr. Strange raised his hands and chanted the beginnings of a powerful containment spell, "Let the Crimson bands of Cytorak..."

        "Don't !" Illyanna cried out, even as he finished the spell.

        SH-POOF!

        Suddenly, the room was filled with white little bunny things!

        "I told you not to," Illyanna growled out angrily, the blonde clobbering another bunny with a certain amount of excessive force.

        The dark haired girl groaned loudly, "They feed off of any supernatural power! A spell simply allows the bugs to replicate themselves faster."

        "Toss him a mallet," Kitty swung, splating a bug against the wall. "Brute force works, even if spells don't," she added.

        "Right," the girl threw Strange a mallet, even as she went back to clobbering.

        Dr. Strange hefted the mallet, testing the weight in his hand. He shrugged off his long cloak of levitation, took a few practice swings, then he joined them in bug squishing.

        Thankfu lly the four bug wackers were able to get a handle on the problem pretty quickly, and not too long afterwards they were sharing a cup of tea together. Kitty poured it gracefully, taking a bit of extra time with Illyanna's, but she did so with a certain amount of style.

        "My name is Skuld," the dark haired girl said to them apologetically, "and I'm really sorry about all of this." The little girl wore odd robes, with triangular markings on her face. There was a feeling of power around her, as well as a strange sense of age.

        "Skuld," Strange murmured, then his eyes widened. 'One of the three Norns? But what is she doing here?' he wondered.

        "It really surprised me," Kitty gently smiled at Skuld as she said, "when you erupted from my full cup of tea."

        "I didn't mean to," Skuld looked down and blushed slightly, "you see, I was looking for my big sisters, Urd and Belldandy. I thought that I sensed their powers, but it seems it was you two that I had detected."

        Dr. Strange had a very odd look on his face as he said to her softly, "You mistook the power level of my two apprentices for your goddess sisters?"

        "I guess so," Skuld nodded glumly.

        "I'm sorry I threatened you," Illyanna said to Skuld softly. When the little girl's appearance had shocked Kitty that way, she just went on auto- pilot. The Soulsword manifested in her hands, she pushed Kitty behind her, and got ready for a fight.

        That's when the first bug-bunny had appeared.

        Without really thinking about it, Illyanna had stepped forward and cut down on the fuzz-ball with her flaming sword.

        SH-POOF!

        And suddenly the three girls had been knee deep in the furry bugs. A single attempt at a spell by Kitty showed them that magic was a very bad idea, and Skuld had passed out the hammers. They were finally getting things under control when Dr. Strange had come back...

        "What were those things, anyway?" Kitty asked. She was trying very hard not to think about the warm feeling that she had experienced, when Illyanna had stepped forward to defend her. She looked up to see Illyanna smiling at her, and blushed.

        "Bugs in the World Tree control system," Skuld said grimly, "they'll keep appearing as long as I or my sisters remain on this world." After a deep breath she added, "It's why I have to find them as soon a possible!"

        Illyann a nodded thoughtfully and held up a hand, "Half a second." She summoned a stepping disk and simply disappeared, only to reappear a few moments later.

        "Where did you," Skuld blinked, a bit surprised herself.

        "I checked my scrying pool," Illyanna smiled cheerfully, "both of your sisters are in Japan, near Tokyo, living in an abandoned Shinto shrine." She didn't add that they were both staying with a young man, as Illyanna suspected she would not be too happy to hear about that.

        "Thank you very much," Skuld beamed. She sat her cup down on the table, then backed up a few steps. She gave them a sunny smile, "It was nice to meet you!"

        Skuld took a running start and then leapt into the teacup, disappearing in a burst of light!

        "Wow," Kitty murmured softly. She looked over at Dr. Strange, "Why..."

        "Accordin g to the literature," Dr. Strange murmured, "the three goddesses can transport themselves through different things. Skuld via water, Belldandy through mirrors, and Urd through electricity, or more recently through electrical devices."

        Illyanna noticed that the good doctor looked just a little bit distracted as he talked, as if the older man were considering a much greater problem than Skuld's little visit. "Is something wrong?" Illyanna asked him softly.

        Dr. Strange forced a smile, "Nothing terribly important." He rose to his feet, looking around at the mess. Rather apologetically he asked, "Would you two mind..."

        Illyanna was about to say something cross, but Kitty put a gentle hand on her arm. "Sure sir, no problem," Kitty told him cheerfully. Once the Doctor had left she said to Illyanna softly, "Remember, we're apprentices, so it goes with the territory."

        Illyan na pushed her long blonde hair back and sighed, "I guess you're right."

        Kitty chuckled, "I'm always right." They swept away for a few minutes, until she asked Illyanna, "Dr. Strange says we can have a day off soon." A bit of a blush appeared on her cheeks, "Would you like to go out with me?"

        Illyanna smiled at Kitty happily, "I'd love to." They worked on, and Illyanna laughed to herself softly. Kitty looked at her curiously, and she said to the brown haired girl, "If you hadn't asked me out soon, I'd have asked you myself."

        They both shared a quiet laugh at that.

Authors Note: the characters of Skuld, Urd and Belldandy are from the manga and anime series Oh My Goddess. The bugs also appeared early on in the series, and were defeated by a rousing game of... Twister. No, I am not kidding.