Xenosaga Fan Fiction ❯ 30 Kisses ❯ Shadow of the Snake ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Warning: This has a spoiler for XSII.

BEGIN

Junior sneaked into his brother's room to check on him. Gaignun had been acting odd all 'afternoon' according to Mary, isolating himself, looking up various military projects and UTIC and snapping at anyone who crossed his path before finally locking himself in his bedroom/office. Rubedo thought that maybe some problem had come up, either with the Foundation or that Helmer had dumped on him, but a quick call to the Representative and some discreet investigation with Shelley had revealed nothing. Even UTIC was being quiet and the Foundation was doing better than ever. So now Junior was really worried that there was something seriously wrong with his brother; perhaps he was sick or his power had been bothering him again.

The room was dim, the only light coming from the turquoise wall scones and the glimmers from the city outside. He couldn't see the bed from this angle, but the darker URTV wasn't behind his desk either. "Gaignun?" he asked softly, not wanting to wake the other if he was sleeping.

"Come over here, Rubedo." The red-headed boy started before seeing the chair pulled in front of the glass wall. He quickly walked over. "Was there something you wanted?"

"Eh, sorry for disturbing you. I was just checking if you were alright."

"Oh? Why?"

"Mary said you were acting strange this afternoon. Is something wrong?"

"No, not really. Just another of my migraines, that's all. I'm sorry for making everyone worry."

"Another one? I'd thought they'd stopped." Junior was worried. When Gaignun was growing up, he had episodic blackouts, bracketed by debilitating migraines before and after his attacks. They had eventually gone away after puberty, but he remembered how frightening it had been to watch his brother hurting then passing out and being unable to help him. "Did you black out again?"

Gaignun shook his head and smiled at him serenely. "I took a nap and when I woke up it was gone. I'm feeling much better." They spent a few moments in silence. "Come closer."

Junior eyed him carefully for a few minutes but decided that his brother wasn't lying to him and stepped to his side. "Well, you seem to be in a good mood now." he said. To his surprise, Gaignun grabbed his hand and pulled him into his lap.

The older URTV immediately tensed up. While 666, 669 and . . . while he and Nigredo had been very touchy-feely as children, openly affectionate gestures had stopped as Gaignun had grown up. As much as they did love each other, the growing disparity between them had been awkward. Hugs and affectionate touches only emphasized the differences between them and eventually had overwhelmed any comfort either received from the gestures.

Junior squirmed for a while but came to the conclusion that the other wasn't going to let go soon and simply settled back. Anyway, it's not as if his younger brother had many options if he wanted physical comfort, not like Junior, so putting up with a little closeness was the least he could do. He decided to simply spend the time staring out the window rather than dwelling on the smothering sensation.

But as time past and the silence lengthened he noticed something that made him even more uncomfortable. He could clearly see himself reflected in the window, all bloody hair and too big blue eyes. Gaignun, on the other hand, faded back. With Junior in front of the flamboyant lapel pin, and Gaignun's black suit and hair not reflecting at all in the glass and with Gaignun's arms crossed over his waist, bisecting his own image in half, all Junior could see of his darker counterpart was his face and his hands, floating separate and alone in the room. It was almost as if he, Junior, was carried by a ghost of his future self.

The boy held his breath to stop himself from screaming. What was wrong with him? Then Gaignun started speaking and Junior was relieved for the break in the tense atmosphere.

"Red Dragon"

"I'm sorry, what?"

"That's you. The Red Dragon. The most precious of the URTVs. Without you, the rest have no purpose."

And then it was back again, even worse.

"I don't understand what you mean."

"The entire URTV project was centered around you. Any and all of the others were expendable, but you were the sole exception. I think I may understand Albedo a little more now."

"Gaignun?" The other ignored him and instead kissed his hair.

"I hope you understand the importance of your continued survival right now. Ormus, the Zohars, and remember that UDO still exists despite Albedo's death. As of right now, you are an unacceptable loss."

"You're seriously starting to creep me out."

"Sorry, just thinking aloud." The vice-like grip around his waist loosened and Junior took the opportunity to escape. Just as he was about to leave, the older man caught his hand and pulled him back. "Sweet dreams, my dear son." he said, bestowing another kiss on Junior's forehead.

Blue eyes widened, then he forced a laugh. "I'm not your son, old man."

A slight smile that didn't reach teal eyes was all he received in return. Then Junior turned and all but fled the room.

END

For those of you who don't get what's going on, Junior's actually speaking to Yuriev during the whole conversation. Junior doesn't know that, but he's getting creeped out anyway.