Yami No Matsuei Fan Fiction / Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Living Shinigami ❯ Home ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Found it! I write most of my fanfiction long-hand before typing it, and the last page of this chapter went missing for a while in the bottom of my bag. But this evening, I found it, so here’s our beloved chapter. Okay, you all know that I don’t own anything, so call off the lawyers. I already have one in the family. Love you all!

“Living Shinigami”

Chapter Four

Home

A fist wrenched in Wufei’s gut as he watched the blood start to spread across Duo’s pant leg, the braided man falling.

Wufei dodged as from second shot, the one coming from a different direction. There’s two of them.

“Hey you stop... doing whatever the hell you’re doing!” one yelled, stepping into sight from a doorway. His gun was trained on Duo, who was rummaging through his packages. The American pulled out what Wufei recognized to be a calligraphy brush along with a thin strip of paper. “Stop it or I’ll shoot! Jamison, cover me!”

A second man emerged as the first approached Duo, who’d just dipped the brush into the blood that was starting to pool on the pavement under his leg. Wufei couldn’t see what his friend was writing, but their Shinigami was interrupted by a cold ring of metal being pressed against his temple.

Ignoring the gun, Duo turned his head to look at his attacker, whose hands were trembling. the man jerked back at the look in those unnatural eyes, nearly dropping his gun.

“Y-you killed Lynette!” he stuttered, sense. “Now just don’t do anything. I have to- to avenge her death!”

“And what will you do then, once you’ve killed us?” Duo asked quietly. The man relaxed slightly as Duo closed his eyes, but jumped back violently as the blood soaked brush struck down and made one final mark. “Kijin, help me!

Lightning began to strike around them as Duo collapsed fully and a thundering cry split the air.

“What the fuck is that?” Jamison yelled over the noise, staring at the sky in horror. Wufei followed the man’s gaze and gasped in delighted awe.

A glorious blue dragon was flying directly for them from the center of the sudden thunder storm. The two would-be assassins scrambled back as the dragon landed. Wufei stared in awe as the dragon wrapped protectively around them, snaring down at the terrified assassins.

“No killing, Kijin,” Duo mumbled, draping an arm over the top of one coil. “Une will yell at me if she doesn’t get to interrogate them.”

The dragon, Kijin, snorted at the braided boy’s request (order?), but settled with lashing out at the two with his tail and knocking them out. With shaking hands, Wufei took out his phone and dialed.

“Une here,” the woman said plainly.

“This is Chang,” Wufei said without taking his eyes off of the dragon which was currently nuzzling the wounded Duo. “Maxwell’s been shot. He’s alive and the assassins...” The Chinese man searched for a way to describe the event. As Duo would put it, ‘Une would give him a nice long vacation in Hotel Looney Bin, where the walls were padded and they gave you nice warm jackets with really long sleeves’ if he said that their attacks had been laid low by a dragon. “The assassins are unconscious.”

“Alright, I’ll send someone over to pick them up while you get Maxwell to the hospital,” Une said with a sigh. She hadn’t missed the fact that Wufei had been so vague on purpose. “You’d better be able to give me a good report when you get back.”

Wufei gave her the address before hanging up. Around them, the dragon was shifting, helping Duo climb onto its back with the same tail that only moments before had been utilized as a weapon. “Maxwell, what are you doing?”

“Kijin’s going to take us home,” Duo said, clearly still in a blood loss induced daze. “Even if I knew the way, I’m too tired to fly... Gonna go to sleep now. Wake me up when we get there...”

He had to move quickly to grab Duo before he could slide off of the dragon’s back and injure himself further. Wufei matched gazes with the dragon and swallowed. “Kijin-sama, will you carry me as well? Duo could fall on his own.” He held his breath until the dragon nodded, allowing him to climb on behind the sleeping boy, keeping a firm hold on him.

Kijin lifted from the earth, a gigantic blue ribbon in the sky to those below if they’d been able to see the shikigami. The higher they rose, the more nervous Wufei became. Just where does Duo consider home?

There was a flash of light as the scenery beneath them changed abruptly.

“Cherry blossoms in January?” Wufei wondered out loud, leaning over to look at the pink orchard. It was too late to stop when he realized that he’d leaned too far and was falling.

Thunk.

“That had to hurt, but I think he’ll be fine,” a cheerful voice said above him. “Should be waking up any moment. How much should we tell him, Tatsumi-san?”

“We’ll see how much he remembers first, before we decide,” a second voice, male like the first one, said.

“You may as well open your eyes, Chang-san,” a third, younger, voice put in flatly from a bit further away. “I know that you’re awake.”

With a sigh of resignation, Wufei opened his eyes to look up at the two men standing over his bed. The first was shockingly familiar, a blond man with a ponytail and glasses. “Watari?” (1)

Amber eyes widened behind round glasses as the man’s companion, the perfect picture of a Japanese businessman, chuckled and helped Wufei to sit up. “Something that you need to tell me, Watari-san?”

‘Watari’ sputtered violently, face flushed. Smirking, Wufei looked around at his surroundings, searching for the source of the third voice, and, if possible, Duo.

The room appeared to be a hospital ward, with several beds and large windows open to let the sunlight and scent of even more cherry blossoms in. So I wasn’t seeing things. One of the other beds was occupied, unless people around there had a habit of crowding around empty hospital beds. Close to the bed but watching him was... Quatre? When did his eyes change color, and that expression..?

“Soka-chan, keep that up and you’ll scare Duo’s friend!” A loud and hyper voice interrupted the startled staring contest as a tall min in a suit without its jacket threw an arm around ‘Quatre’s’ shoulders, grinning across the isle at the Chinese man. Brown hair fell slightly over a pair of haunted but laughing violet eyes.

Kami-sama, he looks almost exactly like Duo, Wufei realized with a jolt.

A pair of hands reached between the two males to push them apart, revealing Duo Maxwell sitting up in the bed behind them, also grinning. “Wuffers, you’re awake! How’s your head?”

“No worse than after going with you to a rock concert,” Wufei said, eyes narrowed as he glanced between the three. Duo and the blond boy’s face shape were the same, and the hair and eye combination, the eyes Wufei hadn’t thought he’d see more than one pair of, was identical to the older man’s. He mentally began to alternate between shaking his head and banging it against the nearest solid surface. No, it’s not possible. Duo had no living relatives.

Duo, however, didn’t seem to want to ease his friend’s mental strife. “Wu-man, meet my parents, Tsuzuki Asato and Kurosaki Hisoka.”

If anyone had asked about that moment in the future, he would have either denied it or threatened painful death upon the inquirer if he or she dared to ever repeat the fact, but due to a combination of the strain on his head from the fall and the shock of the revelation, Chang Wufei did something he’d never done before.

He fainted.

____________

A/N: Okay, to respond to sean's grrl, I’m not sure whether or not I’m going to pair Duo up with anyone. The plot doesn’t really count on it as of yet, so it’s still up in the air.

1. Don’t forget about the card from chapter one.