Yami No Matsuei Fan Fiction ❯ Intruder ❯ Intruder = Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

MysteriousIntruder - Chapter 2
 
 
“Gentlemen,” greeted Kachou. “We have a serious crisis on our hands. Our old nemesis has returned. And again, his timing was unexpected. Mercifully, Hisoka's injuries are not fatal.” He slapped his hands on the table. “Nonetheless, we are to be on our utmost alert for the next few weeks.”
 
“Agreed,” said Tetsumii, adjusting his teacher-like glasses. “Based on previous experiences, this is odd that Muraki just popped out for a sneak attack. Wouldn't he do his serial killing hobby to arouse our attention?”
 
“Maybe he wants to test the waters,” suggested Watari, rubbing the ends of his golden locks. “Face it, after not fighting with us for ten long years, wouldn't anyone want to check out our skills?”
 
“But why Hisoka? His target has always been Tsuzuki.”
 
“Because he wants to know whether our boy is able to break his curse,” explained the scientist. “Now, he has a very satisfied answer.”
 
“Hisoka's abilities has grown over the years,” Tetsumii objected. “Muraki's curse can't be all that powerful.”
 
“Your feelings are understandable,” Kachou nodded. “Watari, there was a shred of paper that Tsuzuki found in Hisoka's hand. Have you analyzed it?”
 
“Yes, sir. The ink used on the paper is odourless and colourless. To the naked eye, it's just a plain homemade piece of paper. As for the spell, it is a hex used to activate dormant curses. The hex itself can only be used on the intended victim. To rub salt into the wound, Hisoka was not be able to detect its presence at any time. Right now, I can bet his pride wounded pretty badly.”
 
“Doesn't take a genius to figure that out.” Kachou tapped his fingers. “Right now, it is best for Tsuzuki and Hisoka to stay within these premises until we receive a confirmation of Muraki's whereabouts. Watari, calibrate the sensors to pick up any unusual activities. Tetsumii, kindly inform the two of my decision. Gentlemen. Dismiss.”
 
 
 
 
 
Holding Hisoka's hands, Tsuzuki watched him drifting in and out of unconscious. Every now and then, he murmured a few nonsensical words. Twisting his lips in mixed irritation, he watched the boring green and blue lines waving in curves or jagged lines on the computer screens, jumping along to the annoying beeping of the machines. Tsuzuki heaved a sign. Guilt was all over him. He bit his lower lip. No. Muraki would be counting on him to do that. And that was one pleasure Tsuzuki wouldn't allow him. A faint movement touched his hand. Looking down, he saw Hisoka's fingers curled slightly, almost like an infant holding his mother's hand for the first time.
 
At that moment, Tsuzuki's mind went pitch black. In the darkness, he saw Hisoka's hand turning up to show its palm. Liquid flowed from the palm. It was glittering like diamonds, shining like polished gold, its smell extremely fresh that its one taste could make anyone feel immortal.
 
It was blood.
And it cried out to him.
 
 
Save me, Tsuzuki!!!
 
 
 
“Hisoka?” He gasped, too stunned to release his hand. The surroundings began to form themselves clearly to him. They were the same as before. “Hisoka?”
 
In what could be a response, Hisoka feebly made an extremely low groan. His brows twitched as his eyelids fluttered before they fully opened. Tsuzuki smiled. It was a relief to see those crystal clear green eyes. To him, there were no emeralds as beautiful as the ones he saw now.
 
“Tsuzuki…” he whispered, shifting his eyes from side to side. “Where am I?”
 
“In the medical bay. You took quite a blow.”
 
“Oh… yeah…” He coughed. “Can I get a glass of water, please?”
 
“Yeah. Sure.” Tsuzuki poured him a glass from the flask on the table. “Here you go.”
 
“Thanks.” Wetting his lips, he gazed at the window before turning back to Tsuzuki. “Muraki got away, didn't he?”
 
“Yes.” Tsuzuki hoped he broke it to him as gently as possible. “Next time we will…”
 
“Was what I thinking? I wasn't ready to handle Muraki by myself and…”
 
 
“Stop.” Tsuzuki held his shoulders, giving a comforting squeeze. “Don't beat up yourself. We didn't anticipate it to happen today. Take it easy. Right now, you should rest and recover.”
 
 
 
“Yes, that is what you should do, Hisoka,” said Tetsumii, standing by the doorway. Tsuzuki almost chocked on his saliva. “In fact, I'm informing you that due to our present circumstances, you two are stay within the agency until further orders.”
 
“What?” Hisoka sat up straight, ignoring the pain. “Kachou wouldn't do that!”
 
“He just did. Listen, we all understand your frustrations and desire to get back at Muraki but now, it is not the time. When you recover, we'll have to polish up on certain skills. All right?”
 
“Yes, sir,” he replied reluctantly.
 
“That's a good boy,” Tetsumii said approvingly. “Tsuzuki, if I may have a word with you?”
 
 
 
 
 
 
Outside, Tetsumii led Tsuzuki to the gardens where the Sakura trees were forever blooming with flowers. The giant lotus leaves floated quietly in the ponds, carrying their radiant flowers above the waters. The two walked silently, side by side. Tsuzuki detected that Tetsumii wasn't going to be `short-and-sweet' in his oncoming lecture. Taking a deep breath, he decided to make the first move.
 
“Tetsumii,” he began. The secretary turned his face at him. Lips were set in a grim position. Tsuzuki almost felt pressurized. “Regarding about today…”
 
“Nobody is at fault. It's one of those days when it happens, it happens.”
 
“Yes, but…”
 
“You don't have to tell me.” He sat at the nearest bench. “You want to investigate behind Hisoka's back. The good news is that is what Kachou wants you to do.”
 
 
 
“He does?” Tsuzuki was impressed. “Usually, he wouldn't let me do anything without Hisoka.” He slumped next to Tetsumii. “How am I going to do that without him knowing? Hisoka will figure it out sooner or later. Besides, you are not the one to face him.”
 
“According to past experiences, when it comes to Muraki, Hisoka always loses his perceptive and falls into his traps. Now, that our target has resurfaced, we can't afford any risks. Your task is to seek out Muraki's whereabouts. As for Hisoka, I can assign him to do some research in the library. The Gushoushin brothers can keep an eye on him.”
 
“No matter how you plan it.” Tsuzuki leaned back, looking up at the endless skies. “Hisoka won't be happy at all. In a way, it is strange having to work solo again.”
 
“Strange? My dear Tsuzuki, the reason for that is Hisoka happens to be gracious enough to give in to your tyranny.”
 
“Tyranny? Isn't that a little harsh?”
 
“I don't think so. Now, changing to one of our favourite topics, if I am not wrong, yesterday, you spent quite a bit on…” He arched a brow. “Muffins?”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Days past and everyone seemed to return to their daily routine. Just as Kachou suspected, the girl that Hisoka `rescued' was no more than an innocent passer-by. She was a university graduate reported missing three weeks ago. Her funeral was held in a Catholic church. Hisoka went with Tsuzuki after hours of persuading Kachou and Tetsumii. Sitting at the back, the two were silent, attentively listening to all last farewells the girl's relatives had to say. Tsuzuki dapped his eyes it was the girl's fiancé's turn to speak. Hisoka remained stoic. He had unpredictably been that way since that day. Putting his hand over his, Tsuzuki gave an encouraging smile. When it was finally over, Tsuzuki proposed a small walk to clear their heads. Hisoka said nothing and followed.
 
 
“Have you discovered anything back there?” Hisoka asked after a long period of silence.
 
“Ashes, charred grounds…” Tsuzuki shook his head. “Not a darn lead. Neither the girl's family nor friends knew who she was meeting the night she disappeared.”
 
“Time will heal their broken hearts. Poor fiancé.” Hisoka crossed his arms. “I wonder how my family react to my death. They probably glad that they have one less burden to carry.”
 
“That's not true.”
 
“Is it? The only reason my family didn't kill me is that they need a male heir. After centuries of evolution, gender equality is still an issue. I should thank them for allowing me to have some decent years of human life even though the ending was….” He laughed softly. “Why am I mumbling over a stupid past? I'm alive, so to speak.”
 
“Hisoka…”
 
“I don't know how you handle it, Tsuzuki. You try countless times before you finally succeeded in killing yourself. Instead of eternal sleep, you ironically live on for the last eighty years. Forced to face your demons and ghosts of the past. Mine is him.” Tears welled up in his eyes. “For goodness' sake, why didn't Time kill him? For once, can't I kill him with my bare hands?”
 
“There are many people who deserves to die,” Tsuzuki hushed, bringing the boy towards him. Securing his arms around his shaking body, he ran his fingers through his hair. “His time will come. When that time comes, you and I will be there to witness it.”
 
“How?” Hisoka's voice shook. “Unless…” Slowly disentangling, he wiped away the last tears with the back of his hand and sniffed a little. “I think we better get back. Wouldn't want Kachou or Tetsumii to kick up a fuss.”
 
“You sure? Since we are here, we might as well go for some comfort food. Cookie and cream?”
 
“Nah. Better not.”
 
“Don't worry, I promise not to overspend.”
 
“Tsuzuki…”
 
 
 
 
 
Peeping from the shelves, the Gushoushin brothers watched Hisoka typing onto the keyboard. There was no qualm that he was upset that Kachou had taken him out of the investigations. It was a bold and dicey move Kachou had made. Although Tsuzuki was capable of working solo, the lack of Hisoka's telepath skills would slow down the pace. On the other hand, Kachou had his reasons too. Most likely, Muraki would devise a plan to kidnap the boy and use him to force Tsuzuki to his will. The possibility was too critical to ignore, even more since that incident. After years of training, it was a bitter pill to sallow.
 
 
“Stop hiding over there, you two,” snapped the boy. “I know that Kachou has ordered you to keep an eye on me.”
 
“We are sorry,” said the two chickens. “It's just that we have seen you training so hard to defeat Muraki.”
 
“It can't be helped. At any rate, Watari is keeping me occupied by typing out his reports. Something about this new modification he did to the P7R6O sensors.” He showed a sheet to the brothers. “With this bad handwriting, it's impossible to know whether I am typing correctly.”
 
“Let me see,” offered one of the brothers. “Hmm… ah… hmm…. Interesting…”
 
“What's interesting? That he still uses an ink feather to write?”
 
“No, I mean the modifications. Watari is going to adjust the QI90 filtration to sieve out all brainwaves except Muraki. That way this will be easier to find his whereabouts.” Seeing Hisoka at a complete loss, the Gushoushin brothers spontaneously explained. “Everybody has a signature brainwave pattern like a thumbprint or DNA. However, since there are billions of brainwaves in the living world, they often counteract the signature brainwave pattern, making it impossible to detect. With the adjustments Watari is purposing, the P7R6O sensors should be able to filter out all disturbing brainwaves.”
 
“Fascinating,” said Hisoka in awe. “In other words, the P7R6O sensors are able to differentiate Shinigamis, humans and other living creatures all over the world.”
 
“Correct. The only problem is that it takes time and if the target, such as Muraki, is always on the move, the duration to determine its whereabouts will take longer.”
 
“That is true. A man like Muraki always plans three steps ahead. Is there a way that I could read up more on the P7R6O sensors?”
 
“All the data is in Watari's lab but you need a high level clearance to access it. You know how much security Tetsumii and Kachou emphasize. Sorry.”
 
 
“It's alright,” smiled Hisoka. “They have their reasons.” His fingers began to click the keyboard. “I'll just continue typing Watari's reports. If I don't hurry, I might not be able to cook dinner for Tsuzuki before he comes back.” The Gushoushin brothers looked at each other. “Don't be so surprised. I know that Kachou ordered him to work solo for now. It's understandable. Can't have someone like me to get kidnapped all the time.”
 
 
The Gushoushin brothers looked at each other again. This was maddening. Stupid Kachou. This was a bad mistake! If they don't do something now, they might go crazy.
 
“Hisoka!” One of the brothers took the papers from him. “Let me do the typing!”
 
“Yes, let us do the work for you!” agreed the other.
 
“What's the matter with you?” asked Hisoka. “Are you two having the bird flu virus? I heard that it affects chickens…”
 
“We don't!” The two protested loudly, almost throwing Hisoka off the chair. “It's just that we can't bear to see you like this. You are part of the Shinigamis and have every right to participate in the fight against that sadistic Muraki! Furthermore, you have a score to settle with him!”
 
“But what can I do? He's a lot stronger than me.”
 
“That can be solved!” The Gushoushin brothers shoved an object into his hands. “This is a pass that we specially made for you. This allows you to access into the library computer database whenever you like. Maybe, you can find something useful to hone your skills.”
 
“You made this for me?” Hisoka explained the pass. “I… I… don't know how to repay you. Are you sure it's legal? What if Tetsumii or Kachou finds out?”
 
“Don't worry about them. Take it as our way of thanking you for being a helpful assistant whenever we need help. It's our little secret.” Then, they glanced at the grandfather clock. “Look at the time. We have to go now. Bye!”
 
 
Winking, the brothers left, leaving Hisoka speechless. He sat in his chair for some time before he stood up and headed towards a door at the back of the library. Using the pass, he went in. Standing still, he examined the tiny room where the Gushoushin brothers usually do their research work. Choosing one of the monitors, he sat down and inserted the pass into the terminal.
 
 
“That was easy,” Hisoka muttered. Taking out a diskette, he placed it inside the computer. Using the keyboard, he entered in the words.
 
 
[Dimension Portals]
 
 
 
To be continued…