Yami No Matsuei Fan Fiction ❯ Painful Lessons ❯ Less Than Pleasant Company ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Yami no Matsuei does not belong to me. For if it did, Tsubaki-hime would have been physically kicked off the back of the ship (anyone who tells people to call her princess deserves such a fate) and an important kiss scene that the anime seemed to be lacking would have been added. However, I do not own it.
Note: This is my first fan fic ever! Soka-chan (my friend!) asked about a `what if' story from Yami no Matsuei, so I told her that I'd write one! In the first episode of the Kyoto arc, what would have happened had Tsuzuki not shown up to save Hisoka from Muraki?
Yet again, an unfairly long wait. I apologize for my slowness… I just can't seem to keep up with school and get these poor little updates out fast enough! Hopefully, the wait hasn't deterred anyone, and the chapters are worth the time they take to get!
Anyways, here is the next chapter! For anyone who couldn't guess who was calling last time... Our Evil Doctor has returned to the scene to stir up more trouble. Thank you to all my wonderful reviewers; your support is very much appreciated! And yes, I am terribly greedy, as I am always wanting more! More reviews are loved! And flames... they're better off toasting marshmallows.
Warnings: Well, being YnM, obviously shounen-ai and yaoi... O.o If you don't like it, why are you looking at Yami no Matsuei? If you've made it passed the second chapter, I'm sure you can handle this.

"Good morning, Tsuzuki-san. I trust you and the bouya slept well?"
“Muraki! You son of a-” Tsuzuki growled, his voice shaking with suppressed rage. His fingers tightened around the small phone, squeezing until the plastic surface creaked in protest. That bastard... Tsuzuki had forgotten that the man knew his number...
“Ah, ah… Language, Tsuzuki-san,” Muraki scolded, the sinister doctor's mocking tone enough to make the shinigami's blood boil.
Tsuzuki could tell the silvery haired man was wearing that infuriating smirk; he'd been around the twisted man often enough to tell. He was probably proud of himself for hurting Hisoka or for some similar, just as sickening, reason… Tsuzuki only wished the doctor were closer, so he could knock the expression from his face.
“I gather from your less than pleasant greeting, that you're having trouble with your current case? That recent string of serial killings?” Muraki continued, “Or perhaps you're upset about the bouya?”
Tsuzuki almost growled in response; he couldn't find words harsh enough to respond. How could that man remain so damned calm! It was that calmness that upset him more than anything; Tsuzuki felt so much guilt about the lives he'd taken, the pain he'd caused. But with Muraki... He could talk about it as though it were nothing at all... As though people's lives were some trivial thing that could be used and tossed away without a second thought.
“I see you aren't very talkative this morning, Tsuzuki-san...” Muraki commented coolly. “I actually called to ask if you'd care to join me for breakfast? I know of an excellent place-”
“Cut the crap. What is it you really want, Muraki?” Tsuzuki interrupted rudely, red hot anger licking at his insides, trying to push its way to the surface. He was prepared to hang up on the doctor, simply so he wouldn't have to hear his arrogant voice anymore. But what Tsuzuki desired above all was to make the man pay, to punish him for what he did to Hisoka... Which was something he could not do over a cell phone.
“You should learn to listen better, Tsuzuki-san,” Muraki replied haughtily, seemingly unaffected by the shinigami's rage. “I just told you. I want you to meet me for breakfast.”
“And why the hell would I want to go to breakfast with you?”
“Well, I could always come to you instead? Perhaps while I'm there, I could offer my professional services to the bouya?” The doctor offered, knowing exactly how to manipulate the other man, “He looked a little pale last night…”
`Damn him!' The last thing Tsuzuki wanted to do was leave his partner's side. Even if Watari was there to look after Hisoka, it wasn't the same as watching over him himself. What if Hisoka woke up? Then Tsuzuki wouldn't be there and Hisoka may think that he'd been abandoned once again. He wouldn't know if Hisoka was alright, he wouldn't be there to comfort him...
But then again, he knew all to well that Muraki would keep to his word. If Tsuzuki didn't meet the man for breakfast, he would show up at their hotel. And somehow, the shinigami didn't think that the doctor's presence would be helpful to Hisoka's healing process. What choice did he have?
“Bastard. Where will you be?” the amethyst eyed man snapped finally, irritated that the doctor was in control. Again.

A soft click echoed in the quiet room as Muraki lay the phone back in the cradle, a satisfied smirk curling his lips. So far, his plan was running smoothly… And though he certainly hadn't intended on running into the bouya, it had certainly been to his advantage. Yet again, his little doll had worked as the perfect bait to lure his Tsuzuki-san…
"Should I be worried?" an amused voice sounded from the doorway behind him. "Whenever you smile like that, it usually means you're up to something…"
"Of course not, Oriya," Muraki replied, his silver eyes meeting those of the voice's owner.
Mibu Oriya, master of KoKakuRoh, now stood framed by the door, his intelligent brown eyes fixed on the doctor. The silken material of his long kimono shimmered in the early morning sunlight that filtered through the window, making the colours look even more vibrant. One corner of his lips was turned up in a lopsided smile; a sarcastic expression to say the least… He knew Kazutaka far too well to think he wasn't causing trouble of some kind. What were friends for, if not to notice these things?
"And I suppose you'll be needing another favour?" Oriya continued, ignoring Muraki's answer completely.
“You do know me far too well,” the silver haired man replied softly, mirroring his friend's thoughts. Perhaps it was a sign that he asked far too much of the other man... However, now was not the time to be worrying about that. After all, if everything went according to plan, Oriya wouldn't have to put up with him for much longer.
“I need you to get me reservations for a breakfast for two,” Muraki explained simply, as he tightened his dark tie. He gestured to a business card laying on the bedside table, before continuing, “Have them hold a table for about... 8:30am?”
“Care to tell me who your date is?” the brunette responded dryly, knowing full well that Muraki wouldn't give him a straight answer. When did he ever? They played this game every time the silver haired man came to Kyoto; Muraki would take what he wanted, and wouldn't offer Oriya anymore information than he had to. Why he put up with the doctor was a mystery... Even to himself.
Instead of even attempting to answer, Muraki simply turned his back on the brunette, under the pretense of inspecting his long coat. The material that had been blood soaked only hours earlier had somehow been cleaned back to its original pristine ivory. There was not a drop of red left; every sign of his gory deeds had somehow been erased. Seemingly satisfied, he slid his arm into the sleeve, swinging the heavy garment around his shoulders.
As he adjusted the high collar, Muraki turned his head to the side, glancing at Oriya out of the corner of his eye. Once he had finished with the coat, he faced his friend once more, as though tired of waiting for him to leave.
“It seems that my beloved has finally noticed my signal,” the doctor replied cryptically, the corner of his pale lips pulling up into a smirk.
“Now, Oriya. About those reservations...?”

“Watari, look after Hisoka,” Tsuzuki instructed harshly, rising from his seat. He couldn't believe he was actually doing this. Going to meet Muraki alone, while Hisoka was still unconscious? Not to mention badly injured... But, it wasn't like he had a lot of options.
Watari, startled by the loud voice, quickly leapt to his feet. He'd heard Tsuzuki speaking to someone on the phone just a few minutes earlier, but he had simply dismissed it as Tatsumi. Though at the time, the blonde had been confused as to why the secretary would call, especially as he had just reported in... But from Tsuzuki's present tone, the scientist had a pretty good guess as to the caller's actual identity. `This isn't good...'
“Tsuzuki...” But before Watari could even begin to protest, the amethyst eyed shinigami shot him an icy glare, silencing him instantly. Any arguments the scientist had died on his quivering lips; he was actually afraid to get in the other man's way. Everyone knew Tsuzuki was the most powerful shinigami in JuuOhCho, but his idiocy and cheerfulness often made people forget that fact. But any trace of that silliness was now gone, leaving him only with that cold, hard fact; Tsuzuki was the most powerful... and the most dangerous.
“I'm going after him,” the brunette explained quietly, all too aware of Watari's fear. It hurt that his long time friend would back away from him like that, as though he were some kind of monster or...or... demon. `But then again, I must seem like one...'
“Call me if anything changes... I'll be back soon.”
And with that, the door closed and Tsuzuki was gone. Watari looked at the door for a moment, as though hoping that it was all a bad joke, and that the bubbly shinigami would barge back in at any moment. But, he knew that was just wishful thinking. There was no way any of this could end well, for Hisoka or Tsuzuki, or even Muraki.
Turning his attention to his unconscious charge, Watari began to wish he hadn't been so careless with his thoughts... When this began, he'd wondered just what Tsuzuki would do if Hisoka had been hurt or attacked by Muraki. But now that it was a reality... he really didn't want to know anymore.

Why did there always have to be Sakura petals? The cherry blossoms haunted him, awake or asleep, or... whatever he was now. Was this real death? Was it finally over? It couldn't be, not with those accursed blossoms lazily trailing through the air, just like they had that night...
But for some reason, it wasn't only the flowers this time. The rich colour of autumn leaves flashed through the rain of pink petals, intermingling and blending... Much the way his memories were. But one thing remained constant: that white clad monster was always there... There to taunt him, abuse him, violate him... hurt him.
Brushing an annoying stray petal from the front of his kimono, Hisoka dared to take a nervous look around. A stone stairway lay before him, its steep steps showered in cherry blossoms and fallen leaves. `Wh-where... is this? Where... is Tsuzuki?' He wanted to run, to find his partner, but something was calling him up those steps. It all felt so familiar... and so wrong.
“No... I don't want to go up there. I want to go home...” he whispered softly, trying to stop himself from moving.
But he couldn't stop... He was going up the steps, crushing the poor blossoms under his wooden sandals. Towards... something. Just what was up there? He knew that he knew, but his brain felt fuzzy, as though it were purposely hiding the knowledge from him. But he could feel it; something was wrong... terribly wrong...
With each step, the carpet of flowers and leaves seemed to get thicker, and for some reason... stickier. The paper thin leaves clung to the hem of his long kimono, held tight by some red liquid that looked disturbingly similar to blood...
“No...”
But his protests did little good; his feet seemed to be moving by their own volition, carrying him ever closer to the top.
As he climbed the final step, the sudden realization hit him like a ton of bricks; he did know what awaited him on the landing... And now, it was too late to escape. All he could do was scream as the white figure closed in on him, scream for a salvation that would not come.
“Tsuzuki!”

“So pleased you could make it, Tsuzuki-san.”
The doctor's voice made Tsuzuki's teeth clench, biting back the harsh words that threatened to spill out of his mouth at any moment. Why did the man have to pretend that everything was fine? As though it were simply two friends meeting for breakfast, wanting to talk about old times and what else was new... Instead of a twisted murderer forcing his prey to meet him after hurting the one they cared for most.
“Muraki,” he acknowledged coldly, reluctantly settling down in the seat across from the sinister man. Somehow, he had the feeling that he'd regret this before it was over... But then again, when did he not regret meeting Muraki?
The silvery haired man's lips curled into a small smile, an expression that one could possibly mistake for kindness or some harmless, friendly emotion. That was, unless they actually knew the personality of the one who owned the smile. Like Tsuzuki did. He knew full well that the look was far from innocent - Muraki was pleased with himself. He had gotten his way, and he knew it.
“You're even early,” Muraki commented silkily, the sickening grin not leaving his face. “If only you could be on time for everything, ne?”
`Like last night.' He may as well have said it, as the shinigami knew that he meant it. If only he'd showed up in time to save his partner, instead of sitting around waiting for him to come back. If only he'd been there early when Muraki had attacked Hisoka, instead of condemning him to torture and...
`You know this is exactly what he wants!'
He couldn't let himself get worked up, not now. He'd have plenty of time to come to terms with what had happened later... But right now he needed to focus on the vile creature sitting across from him. If he let himself get distracted, Muraki could easily pull something.
“Why did you call me out here?” he asked stiffly, struggling to keep his rising temper under control. The urge to reach across the table and physically knock the smirk off the man's face was almost overwhelming... Some small way of returning some of the pain he'd caused to Hisoka.
“Because I enjoy your company,” Muraki replied coolly, not bothering to hide his amusement. He truly enjoyed watching the shinigami suffer like that. The pain and rage burning in those lovely amethyst eyes... Not to mention the hatred. It was that cold, heartless emotion he liked the most.
“I took the liberty of ordering for the both of us,” he continued, running a slender finger around the smooth rim of his water glass. “I had originally intended for our meal to be prepared in time for your arrival, but since you are here ahead of time...”
As the doctor went on, Tsuzuki tried everything he could to not listen. If he didn't hear Muraki's words, then he wouldn't have reason to react to them... He also wouldn't have reason to summon all twelve of his shikigami right in the middle of the restaurant and completely erase the man from existence. Unfortunately, his attempts at deafness continued to fail, and Muraki continued to ramble. `Does he really like the sound of his own voice that much?'
“I actually would have preferred to have taken you to dinner, as it would have given me the opportunity to treat you to some of those sweet pastries you enjoy so much. However, my business ran unexpectedly late last night...”
“You consider killing innocent people `business'?” Tsuzuki retorted, quickly giving up on his original plan. If it had been hard to ignore Muraki before, it had become impossible after that. That he could continue to speak of his victims so casually... There was no possible way he could remain silent after that. Especially not when one of those victims had been Hisoka.
“So you've been working hard on your case? And you think I'm the one behind the killings?”
The doctor hadn't even attempted to hide the amusement in his voice. One would have thought he'd be upset at being figured out so quickly, but he seemed quite the opposite. Though, it probably should have been expected, especially with the noticeable trail he'd left for the shinigami to find. Something as incriminating as hair left on one of the victims? Not unless the killer were a complete fool. Or... the evidence was left on purpose.
“This isn't a game! I know you're the one behind it!” the amethyst-eyed shinigami snarled, his voice raising with each word. While the outburst seemed to have no effect at all on Muraki, it did earn him a few bewildered stares from other nearby patrons.
“Now really, Tsuzuki-san... You need to learn to keep that temper of yours in check. You tend to lose control so easily,” the white clad villain chided, throwing the other a mocking look of disapproval. “Especially when it concerns the bouya.”
The brunette opened his mouth once again at the mention of Hisoka, his anger reaching a whole new level; he actually dared to bring up his partner at a time like this? But before he could put voice to his rage, he was cut off by the doctor once more.
“But you're right; I am the one behind the recent string of murders.”
Why did it matter if Muraki admitted to it? It didn't change what he'd done to those women... What he'd done to Hisoka. Nor did he feel guilty about it; Muraki probably wanted to take the credit for it. Just more pain caused by his already blood soaked hands...
But still, why confess now? Was he giving Tsuzuki the chance to learn more about his newest scheme? Or was he just taunting him again?
"Why cut the victims' hair?" the shinigami demanded in a low voice, quickly deciding to avoid the subject of Hisoka. It was the best idea at the moment... He would make Muraki regret what he'd done, there was no question about that... But it was better that he first learned what he could about the murder case. After all, the silver haired man might not be so willing to talk after Tsuzuki had finished with him. That was, if he was still able to talk.
"I'm afraid I can't answer that, Tsuzuki-san," the other replied calmly as he tilted his head, causing his unruly platinum locks to fall away from his wider, unnatural eye. "Though I'm surprised... You'd worry about a few pieces of lost hair... And yet, you won't ask why I tortured the bouya? I would have thought he meant more to you than that."
Keeping calm? The idea was as incomprehensible as a foreign language...
All rational thoughts lost, Tsuzuki lunged across the small table, sending their water glasses tumbling to the floor. Without another moment's hesitation, he drew back and hurled a sharp blow towards the doctor's smirking face, no longer caring who was watching them. Forget the case, JuuOhCho, the victims... They hadn't been able to help Hisoka anymore than he had! Well, that was going to change... Right now!
'So predictable...' In a single, fluid motion, Muraki easily caught Tsuzuki's wrist, causing the punch to sail harmlessly passed its target. However, instead of releasing him, the silver haired man's grip tightened as he wrenched the shinigami's hand closer with surprising strength. Muraki's silver eyes glinted dangerously as they traveled down the smooth, flawless skin of Tsuzuki's hand coming to rest on the thick leather watchstrap that covered his wrist. A strangely wicked smirk formed on his pale lips - not a good sign.
"How rude of you, Tsuzuki-san! Attacking me so violently..."
Fiercely struggling against his sadistic captor, Tsuzuki still wasn't able to free his hand from the doctor's vice-like grip. Muraki's physical strength was far greater than the brunette had ever imagined; though now that he thought about it, it only made sense. How else could he claim his victims, if not by overpowering them?
"Let me go." Tsuzuki commanded, still writhing in the other's grasp. He hadn't taken any notice of the ominous grin Muraki wore, as he was too busy trying to pry his hand away.
"Now why would I do that?" Muraki questioned, not that he actually expected an answer; in fact, he didn't leave room for one. Instead, he gently stroked the inside of Tsuzuki's wrist, the tips of his finger running over the worn leather of the watchband.
Before the shinigami could protest, he quickly added with seemingly innocent curiosity, "I see you wear your watch on the right… Are you a lefty, Tsuzuki-san? Or perhaps... are you trying to cover the scars on your wrist?"
For a moment, the sounds of the bustling restaurant seemed to fade out, almost like a television station with bad reception. `Wh-what did he just say?'
Tsuzuki's fighting ceased almost instantly at Muraki's words; his arm fell limp in the doctor's grasp as his violet eyes widened with shock and... something that appeared to be... fear?
`How could Muraki have...' He'd never told anyone about his life, nor about the circumstances of his death... not even Hisoka. ` My death… my… my cowardice… There's no way he could have known that!' But even as the words rang through his mind, he knew that wasn't right. That hadn't just been some lucky guess - Muraki knew.
Guarded memories, that Tsuzuki had long wished to forget, crept back into the dark corners of his mind, trying once again to make themselves known. Hard as Tsuzuki tried to ignore them, to push them away… They just continued to surface, threatening to overwhelm him.
Muraki could not have been more pleased with the shinigami's reaction to his words; it was more than he could have hoped for. `My dear Tsuzuki-san… It hurts, doesn't it? Remembering… But how can you expect to survive what I have in store for you, if even this is too much?'
He carelessly let the man's hand drop back to the table, letting it land heavily on the wooden surface; Tsuzuki made no effort to stop it. His purple eyes looked vacant... empty. Much the way Hisoka's had the previous night... An expression of defeat.
"Tsuzuki-san… Our meeting in Nagasaki was where it all began... And here, in Kyoto, we are coming to the climax of this drama... and it's almost time for the finale."
Climbing to his feet, Muraki's predatory gaze didn't leave the shinigami for an instant. Not that it made any real difference; it was a lot like watching a blank wall… Tsuzuki was lost for the moment… He barely noticed the doctor's presence anymore; or at least, he wasn't acknowledging it. Instead, Tsuzuki continued to stare through his thick watchband, as though he could see the mess of crisscrossing scars that marred the soft flesh beneath. An eternal sign of his sins… The one wound that would not heal.
No longer interested in the meal he'd ordered, the doctor finally turned his back on the table, and Tsuzuki as well, his long coat flaring with the motion. He'd achieved his goal, so there was little point in hanging around. After all, it was doubtful that his lovely, chocolate-haired doll would be the best of company now…
Had he bother to notice this, Tsuzuki would have been quite happy that the ivory demon had left… But he was too preoccupied to care. He had to try and calm down! It… it wasn't important that Muraki knew how he died. He couldn't know anything else about his life… `Not true… He knows what a monster you are… He knows that your just like him - A creature of the darkness…A murderer.'
`Stop it! You can't think like that… Even if it's true… What good will you be to Hisoka, if all you can think about is yourself? You need to-'
An all too familiar ringing cut off Tsuzuki's thoughts, a noise he was beginning to despise. It had been because of that sound he'd ended up with Muraki in the first place!
His left hand reached into the depths of his coat pocket, snatching the small phone and pulling it out. He would have to invest in some better caller ID… Another unknown number.
Harshly pressing the receive button, he put the phone to his ear… This situation was far too reminiscent of before, only this time, he was ready…
“Muraki, I swear I will-!”
“Tsuzuki?”
The shinigami faltered, suddenly realizing that it was not the arrogant voice of Muraki on the other end. Which, had he not been so distracted, he would have realized made perfect sense... What would have been the point of calling Tsuzuki from just outside the front door?
“Watari? I'm sorry about that, it's just…”
“It's fine… But Tsuzuki, you need to get back here right away. It's about Bon…”