Yami No Matsuei Fan Fiction ❯ Tears From Heaven ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Tears From Heaven
Chapter One

It was just another average workday at Ju-Oh-Cho, but then again, nothing big had happened after Kyoto. No big cases, no hard working field jobs, just filing out some paperwork, which was, to most, quite dull. But then again, being a shinigami was sometimes not the roller coaster thrill people would expect. Paperwork was the most boring part. EVERYONE would agree with that. The most exciting part, some would say, was actually doing field work with sutras and guardian beasts known as shikigami. Others would just say the joy of a job well done. But still some would say that it is the friendly and open people you meet at work.

That is not true for Tsuzuki Asato. Well, not exactly. He was friendly and had a happy-go-lucky attitude that would make almost anyone smile at. He goofed off every now and then, he had a sweet tooth larger than the entire state of Alaska, and although he didn’t show it or try and show it anyway, truth be told, he was the strongest shinigami in the Shokan Division. He had twelve shikigami at his command and had immense spiritual power. He wasn’t open, however. He pretended like everything was okay, but on the inside, he was always in pain. His past had always tormented him and always will. He had died from suicide, by cutting his right wrist until he bled to death. He believed that all he did was hurt people when he was alive, so he took his life and is trying to make up for his “mistakes” as a shinigami. Currently, he had 72 years under his belt. He can’t hide his past from everyone, not after Kyoto, and certainly not from his partner, Hisoka Kurosaki.

Hisoka was a boy in his teen years who also had a terrible past. But he tried to forget it and tried to keep anyone from knowing. He had died at sixteen through a curse by a certain doctor (Cough Muraki Cough) and it didn’t help his attitude one bit, considering that now, he was a desolate person. He was cold to some people and didn’t take part in Tsuzuki’s fake cheery antics. Hisoka was an empath and possibly a combined telepath, considering he could synchronize with other people’s emotions and could sometimes read people’s minds. But he was a private shinigami, and since people didn’t pry into his past often, he didn’t pry into their business either. Hisoka thought he knew what his partner was and who he was after a few cases, including Devil’s Trill and Queen Camellia, but he was wrong. Kyoto had changed everything. He found out he hadn’t known a single thing about his partner at all. He soon found out that the cheery attitude was just a facade to hide all of his sadness inside himself. It was cowardly, but Tsuzuki had told him he didn’t care. It had hurt Hisoka somewhat to hear that from him.

And then, it had all come together. Even though he hadn’t said it out loud, exactly, Hisoka had screamed into the flames of Touda, begging Tsuzuki to stay when the older shinigami had tried to take his life again. Inwardly, he knew that he himself was a coward. When they had both nearly died in Touda’s flames in Kyoto, Hisoka hadn’t exactly said how he felt. But he knew how he felt. And Tsuzuki stayed for him. He still hadn’t told the elder shinigami how he truly felt, for a hint of fear of rejection still tugged at his thoughts. He just wished Tsuzuki would step forward, say the three words he himself couldn’t be brought to say, and just take things from there. But he didn’t expect it anytime soon. Not at this rate. So he didn’t get his hopes high.

Ju-Oh-Cho was quiet today. It surprised almost everyone that one of Watari’s potions hadn’t blown up his office again and Tatsumi hadn’t cut anyone’s pay… yet. So it was somewhat peaceful today. But the silence was strange. If you went into the library, it would be like walking in a graveyard. Normally, even the clicking of computer keys would sound out. But not today. Today seemed to be off… slow… and no one knew why.

Hisoka was quietly reading a book in his corner of the library when Tsuzuki walked in, having the whole beaten, lost puppy look. Hisoka sighed, dog-eared the page, and stood up. He began to walk to where Tsuzuki was standing in the doorway. About halfway there, he stopped, shuddering slightly.

The emotions emitting off of his partner were strange. Devotion, some happiness, the normal sadness, pain, and guilt, a touch of curiosity, and sprinkled on top of that was an indefinable feeling Hisoka didn’t know. But he wanted to find out. He walked the rest of the way and Tsuzuki spotted him, waving him over, the fake grin plastered on his face. Hisoka sighed again and asked, “What do you want?”

“Oh, come on, Soka-chan! Don’t sound so cold all the time!” Tsuzuki whined, mocking him with fake puppy eyes. Hisoka glared lightly, silently telling Tsuzuki that he should say what he wanted to say so he could leave him alone to read the rest of the book, which, he might add, was getting good. Tsuzuki returned to normal and winked secret-like, putting up higher mental shields. Hisoka was now confused. Why raise his mental shields higher?

“Just wanted to let you know something. I’m coming along all right. I think I may have finally figured it out,” Tsuzuki said, unfaltering and unwavering, keeping his mental shields up well.

“Figured out what?” asked Hisoka, confused, curious, and annoyed at the same time. But all Tsuzuki did was grin and say, “You’ll see soon!” before bouncing out of the library in a cheery mood. Hisoka was able to pick up on one thought, which confused him more.

‘Hopefully, he will understand… God I hope he will…’

‘Understand what?’
wondered Hisoka, still standing there with his book in hand. All of a sudden, his book didn’t seem important right now. Hisoka was wondering what Tsuzuki meant with his thought. What would he need to understand?

He quickly checked the book out and exited the EnMaCho library, heading towards his office. He saw Tatsumi’s door open and voices floated out into the hallway, so Hisoka hid behind the door and listened.

“I’m sure he’ll understand how you feel, Tsuzuki,” Tatsumi was saying.

“Are you sure? I don’t think he will…” sighed Tsuzuki, emotions along the lines of hopelessness.

“Give him time. He may accept it.”

“I hope you’re right, Tatsumi.”

Hisoka went out from behind the door and froze, just as he saw Tatsumi lean over and kiss Tsuzuki’s forehead. Hisoka’s eyes grew wide. That was what he needed to deal with? Tsuzuki and Tatsumi back together? His heart hurt, but he couldn’t find strength in his seemingly lead-filed limbs to reach up and clench it, hoping to dull the pain. The pain grew as he finally took it in. It made sense. It all made sense. He was leaving him. As partners? Possibly. As possible lovers? Yes…

Tears prickled in Hisoka’s eyes as he felt their emotions. He couldn’t take it. He teleported away before they saw him, back to his apartment. He sank to the floor and buried his face in his knees. And for the first time in a long time, Hisoka Kurosaki cried his heart out.

No one saw Hisoka after that day.