Yami No Matsuei Fan Fiction ❯ The difference between Day and Night ❯ Prologue ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

This is my first Yami story. I got the idea for this recently and started writing it. Hope you like it!

Thank you so much lil sis for helping me out! I owe you so much! Without you some of my stories would lack...a lot-lol-

-So All hail Wolfy!-

Btw, I just own Spirit and my sis owns Ghost.And the plot I own too^^


The difference between Day and Night

The air turned to white mist leaving his nose, becoming a part of the atmosphere once again. Lips were tightly shut together, a streak on the pale and handsome face of the grown man. With the long black coat flaring behind him he slid through the shadows of the night, unnoticed by the eyes of mortals. The fallen snow made crackling sounds under his boots as he stepped down on the ground, swiftly moving on. Everywhere he could see flames devouring the house that had fallen apart from the explosion, slowly dying out in the cold weather as snow fell down, melting to droplets of water once they came too close to the heat.

The man stepped over a piece of rubble gathered on the ground...remains of the kitchen he could tell. He had come too late this time, too late...If only he had come here earlier he may have had the chance to save those innocent souls before they vanished. He closed his eyes for a moment, searching for body warmth of the humans that were buried somewhere in these ruins.

There it was...the weak sound of a dying heartbeat struggling to survive. He followed it, steps hasty as he felt the heartbeat grow stronger and stronger the closer he got. But the moment he found the person whom the heartbeat belonged to he stopped dead in his tracks and stared wide eyed at the scene.

“ No...They are only children......”

The man`s voice was thick with emotion as he slowly approached to the two figures on the ground. Both of them were girls, maybe the age of four...His heart was shattering inside his chest from sadness as he kneeled down on the ground beside them. Reaching out a hand he brushed his gloved fingertips over the forehead of the girl lying on the left.

Her long white hair was spread around her, tattered and a complete mess. Green stripes could be spotted in the dirty white hair, and he gently stroke the little one`s head. Her face was pale white, almost snowy and her eyes were closed.The girl was dead, she was lost. He had not managed to save her mortal life, he thought sadly. But..there was still hope as long as her soul had not left the body. He placed a hand to her unmoving chest and closed his eyes to better concentrate. The noise of police cars and ambulances could be heard in the background as the news of the incident surely must have reached far.

A weak glow spread from his fingertips to the rest of his hand and he withdrew his head soon after, smiling slightly. She could be saved still if he brought her back to Meifu.
A sad smile slipped across his face. It was indeed a shame that such a young girl should be growing up in the world of the Shinigami. In that moment he decided that he would raise her himself, even if the ones higher up in the system protested. He had worked for his department of the Enmacho for more than seventy years now...he think he deserved something in return for that.

Turning his attention towards the girl still being alive he shook his head to himself before touching her forehead. She was burning with fever, a coat of sweat on her skin. She wasn`t quite as pale as the other girl, but her skin was still white. They looked alike and he did remember something about Tatsumi saying they were twin girls before he rushed of to Earth. Though this girl had white hair too it was streaked by blue strands of hair and not green.

“ I`ll leave you with Hijiri...He won`t mind looking after you little one”, he whispered and lifted the child into his arms. She was light, as was the other girl. With both girls resting against his broad chest he hurriedly walked away from the scene to avoid any unwanted attention from the police and doctors he could hear coming.

As the policemen were rushing to and fro in the chaos a couple of them raised their heads to look at the darkened sky above, catching sight of a shadow with black, feathery wings. Shaking their heads and thinking it must have been their imagination they returned to their work.

The boy raised his head from the book he currently was reading when there was a light knock on the door. Who could it be at this time of night? He didn`t know of many people who would come to visit at this hour....Unless it was-

Another knock.

Standing up from his chair he left the book on the table and went to check. When the door swung open he was slightly surprised to see the man standing at his doorstep, his large, black wings folded against his back. A look of seriousness contoured his otherwise merry face.

“ Hijiri...I need you to take care of this girl for me”, said the man in a low voice and handed him a small child. He stared at the other dumbfounded, unable to understand what was going on. Looking down at the girl he found that she was unconscious and breathing unsteadily.

“ Tsuz-”.

“ Not now Hijiri...I`ll explain later. My healing skills are weak so you have to take her to a hospital soon. I have to go now”, he said and turned around to leave.

“ No-no wait! What about the other girl? Where are you taking her?”

The man stopped for a moment and looked over his shoulder, pressing a little smile.

“ Back to Meifu Hijiri”.

A look of immense sadness crept upon the boy`s face as he watched the man unfold his wings and fly away into the night. With eyes sparkling from sorrow he looked down at the little creature in his arms, smiling softly.

“ I guess it is just you and me then kiddo. I`ll take good care of you”, he whispered and turned to go back inside, shutting out the cold from his cosy house.

He sat on his knees by the bed, chin resting on his arms as he watched the little girl sleep. They had agreed on letting him take her in and raise her if he raised her to be a Shinigami such as himself. They thought it might be better if she was raised by a powerful Shinigami as him rather than being sent to the House of Candles to stay there. He had almost beamed at Tatsumi when the man brought him the message from the bosses. There was no return for this little girl now. She had become an immortal from the moment the order was made by the elder Shinigami. Even if she wanted to go back to earth there was no possibility for her to do so. But she was just a little child....He figured she would adapt to the new lifestyle pretty quickly.

She let out a whimper and started tossing about, most likely from a nightmare. Her young face was marked by fear and panic and it made him want to help her. But much to his surprise- when he sat down on the edge of the bed and pulled her into his lap to hug her she fought back. And boy she could fight! She started hitting him on the chest with her small fits, screaming and trashing about even in her sleep.

“ Calm down...please calm down”, he begged and hugged her tightly to himself. Big teardrops rolled down the girl`s cheeks as she started sobbing, completely giving up her fight after a while to cry into his white shirt. He rocked her gently and pressed a kiss to the top of her head.

“ Spirit...I won`t leave you..I won`t..”

He listened to the prayers of the little one, wondering who on Earth Spirit was. Maybe it was the other girl..the one that had survived. He sighed, first now realizing what he had taken upon himself by wanting to raise this child. He just hoped that they could get along.

“ Hijiri? Do you think I will see my sister again?” asked a small, girly voice. He closed his book and left it on the table as he looked at the little girl standing in front of him. He reached out his arms to lift her up before placing her on his lap. She contently curled up against him, her small arms around his frame.

“ Maybe..I don`t know for certain. But if fate is willing then I think you may see her someday”, he replied.

“ That`s good `cause I miss her a lot. I wonder if Ghostie has found someone nice as you that can take care of her..Do you think she has Hijiri?” asked the child, looking up at him with innocent eyes.

“ Yes..I think she has Spirit...”, he said with a little smile, knowing that the girl in question was taken care of by his friend, the Shinigami from Meifu. And knowing Tsuzuki, that man would probably spoil the child. He did feel a tinge of sadness every time he thought about it though. Both sisters were living in different worlds, unable to see each other and longing to do so. He didn`t know how the other girl felt at the moment...But he hoped that also she would be all right.

-End Prologue-

I hope my spelling does not suck too bad^^ Please leave me a rewiew!

Yours sincerly, Kanilla and Nicholas