Yellow Fan Fiction ❯ Playing It Straight ❯ Playing It Fast and Loose ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Playing It Fast and Loose
By: eternalsailorsolarwind AKA youkai_girl
 
Disclaimer: Yellow and all of its characters are owned by Makoto Tateno, her Japanese publishers, and June. I only play with them for grins and giggles. Ken, however, is mine.
 
A/N: Written as a follow-up to my previous story, Playing It Straight, at the request of compli_cait. Time to learn a little more about Kei's boyfriend.
 
0o0o0o0o0o
 
Sliding from the bed, Ken padded naked to the windows. Looking out, he smiled barracuda-like down at the newly-stirring Tokyo. The sun just barely above the horizon made the city look drowsy; as if it had been roused too early for this new day. Watching the capital blink the sleep from its collective eyes, he stretched, noting a few twinges in certain muscles.
 
Sharp smile turning fond, Ken glanced back towards the bed. Kei slept heavily, not having stirred when he'd gotten up. His young lover had been his usual insatiable self the night before, leading him to greater - and more exuberant - passion. Hence the sore muscles this morning.
 
Not that he minded.
 
Turning, he strode towards the bathroom, intending to use the massage setting on the showerhead to ease the knotted muscles. Perhaps he'd have an aspirin chaser with his traditional breakfast. There was a meeting with the chairman this morning; he needed to be at his best.
 
Later, aches eased from his body, Ken dressed in a severe black suit, perfectly tailored to his trim figure, with a discreetly patterned royal blue tie. With his dark hair graying at the temples, he knew he cut quite the distinguished figure. Looking back into the bedroom once again, he saw that Kei was still fast asleep, though the dog - now lying at the foot of the bed - raised its head. Smiling doggishly, the stub tail wagged momentarily at seeing him. Walking over, he carefully patted the Corgi on the head, making sure not to get any hairs on his suit. Placing a fond hand on his lover's back, he waited to see if the younger man would awaken. Unsurprised when he did not, he dropped a kiss to Kei's sleep-tousled head - a rare show of affection - and left for work.
 
 
The morning was full of meetings. After his session with the chairman, Ken returned to his office. Just before his normal luncheon time, he sat down at his desk to familiarize himself with his afternoon schedule - mercifully, a block of “free” time right after lunch was inked in - at least until the quarterly budget meeting. Nodding his head as he committed his schedule to memory, he turned back to his desktop to check his e-mail.
 
Most of it was the usual notices regarding meetings and staff reviews, plus a few that he was merely copied on as a face-saving gesture. Surprisingly, there was one from his ex-wife regarding their daughter's approaching secondary school graduation. He noted the time before moving on. The address of the next e-mail froze the blood in his veins; only twice before had he received mail from this source. And given the events of two years ago, he never expected to see more.
 
Opening it nervously, he read it through. It was short; a few terse sentences followed by a question. Pausing just long enough to think through the ramifications of responding, he replied to the question in the affirmative. While waiting for the reply, Ken deleted both the original e-mail and his response from the system. While not foolproof - any hacker would find both in minutes - it would delay any search for incriminating evidence. If such a thing ever become necessary. He sincerely hoped it never would.
 
His computer quietly trilled, indicating a new message. As expected, it was the response from his contact, providing a place and a time. He frowned, as the meeting would eat up his luncheon, as well as a large chuck of his “free” time. But no matter. When he was just starting out, he had eaten from convenience stores on the run; he could do so again now. Standing up, Ken shrugged into his suit coat, and walked to the outer office. While slipping on his street shoes, he advised his secretary of the change to his schedule, then left.
 
 
As usual, Asakusa Temple thronged with tourists. Milling around the main shrine, he glanced at his watch, before moving into line at the fortune station nearest the office. Paying his 100 yen, he shook the metal canister holding the numbered sticks, finally pulling one out, looking at the number on it. Finding the matching drawer, he took his paper, stepping out of the crush to read his fortune.
 
“Good fortune,” asked a deep voice from behind him. Ken quashed the urge to jump.
 
While mentally calming himself, he considered the paper in his hand. “Mixed, I'm afraid. The outcome hangs on an important meeting.”
 
Proud that his voice remained neutral, he turned to face the speaker. The man was a bit taller than himself, with spiked blond hair and a raven goatee - both obviously dyed. From his left earlobe dangled a gold skull and crossbones. Ken quirked an eyebrow at the other man. “And I'm assuming that the `important meeting' is not my budget meeting later this afternoon. You know, Katsuro that is an…original look for you.”
 
Grinning sardonically, Katsuro nodded. “You should have seen me last week. A ponytail and full beard. Artist colonies are great places to relax. I even did some painting.”
 
Ken interpreted that statement to mean “hide out” from the authorities after that business of a couple of years ago. “Pardon my getting right to the point, Katsuro, but why did you contact me? Until recently, the police continued to pay attention to me. It still might not be safe to be seen in your company.”
 
“Why cousin,” drawled the slightly younger assassin, tilting his head slightly. Amusement sparkled in dark eyes. “You're making me feel unwanted.”
 
“I have no time for your sense of humor, Katsuro,” grated Ken, frowning up at his cousin. “I have a life to live. Business to attend to. If it is discovered that I have spoken - met - with you, it will all come crashing down. What do you need?”
 
“How is Kei?”
 
The non sequitur leeched the irritation from Ken. He wasn't expecting the question; figured his cousin needed some kind of help while here, whether in the form of money, papers, or a place to stay overnight. But this question worried him. “He's fine. Why are you asking?”
 
Katsuro assumed a patient expression. “Because I wanted to make sure he's all right. I pointed you in his direction for a reason, Ken. You two needed each other; and I could take care of some debts at the same time.”
 
Ken didn't bother denying it. Kei had brought light and color into his otherwise black-and-white existence. While completely unexpected, he liked having his lover in his life; the perfect foil for his straitlaced - and sometimes stark - personality. For that, he'd give his cousin the benefit of the doubt, at least for the moment.
 
“As I said, Kei is fine, Katsuro. Knowing you, I'm sure you were already aware of that fact.” Ken's lips quirked in a wintry smile. “Information was always your strong suit.”
 
Chuckling, his cousin nodded. “Touché. I just wanted to be sure. Mizuki holds grudges. And since we're back in Japan, I thought I'd check in with you.”
 
Stiffening at the implied warning, Ken forced himself to relax. “When I left for work this morning, he was still asleep. I'm the early riser. But he'll take the dog out eventually.”
 
Katsuro nodded, eyes watchful. “We'll be gone in a week. Less, if things…work out to our advantage.”
 
Making up his mind, Ken nodded decisively. “Perhaps a vacation is in order then. A short one…someplace else.”
 
“They say vacations are good for the health,” agreed the assassin. “I should know; just came back from an extended one. I can honestly say I feel a lot better now.”
 
Sketching a wave, Katsuro melted into the crowd of tourists. Within moments, Ken could no longer see him. Turning to leave himself, his mind switched automatically to planning mode. How was he going to surprise Kei with this trip, and make sure they were both out of Sandfish's way - without letting the younger man know the reason they were leaving the country so suddenly. But whatever the reason, he looked forward to spending some time away with his lover anyway - just the two of them.