Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou Fan Fiction ❯ Valentine's Gift ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Dedication: To Christine a.k.a. Chibi Halo, who is my Valentine. As I can't give you chocolate this year I hope you'll accept this gift instead, though I'm certain it's not worthy of you.
 
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou: Valentine's Gift
 
Alpha smiled as she awoke, her green hair flowing over the pillow. She sat up and stretched, loose pajamas handing on her slim body then slipped from the bed, quietly sliding across the still chilled floor. Dressing quickly she went into her kitchen, putting on a pot of coffee for the morning and any company that might arrive.
 
Alpha noted the date was February Fourteenth and smiled, remembering that it was Valentine's day. 'I should give Sensei chocolate,' she thought, 'and maybe Ojisan, too.'
 
The custom of girls giving chocolate to those they liked was an old one, and it was a tradition that Alpha embraced, too. Not quite in the traditional sense, for while she was giving them to those she loved it wasn't the romantic kind, but still.... Her kitchen wasn't the best stocked but she found the ingredients, the cookware and went to work.
 
Later that morning a fully dressed Alpha got on her little scooter, starting up the engine as she settled into her seat. With a beep of her horn she was off, bumping down the road as the wind rushed through her hair. The scooter was one of her favorite things, providing her with the freedom to move across the district and beyond, and helping her connect with her friends all over the area.
 
"Ho, Alpha," Ojisan waved from where he sat in a rickety chair in front of the gas station, the morning's chill having mostly passed. The short older man gave her one of his broad grins as he asked cheerfully, "Fill 'er up?"
 
"Not this morning," Alpha said cheerfully. She swung her leg over and dismounted, rummaging in her back pack a moment. Producing a carefully wrapped package she presented it cupped in her two hands, "Happy Valentine's day."
 
"Well I'll be damned," Ojisan took the package with a smile, his eyes twinkling. With a impish grin he asked, "Does this mean we're courting?"
 
Alpha laughed at that, slapping him good naturedly on the shoulder. "I'll see you tonight," she added, "the usual party is on?"
 
"Takahiro's helping organize it," Ojisan agreed, "with the rest of the kids. See you there!"
 
With a zoom she was off again, Alpha smiling as she rode on. The district was a quiet place, off in the country, but what it lacked in comforts it gained in the closeness of the people here. She waved as she passed people on the road, recognizing acquaintances and customers of her cafe eve as she drove, heading for her next stop.
 
Sensei was standing out by the beach near by her home, the thin older woman gazing out at the water, at least until she heard Alpha's scooter coming. Sometimes Alpha thought that if she was going to grow old she'd like to be like Sensei.. a fiercely independent, strong, capable woman. Alpha made her way down to the sandy shore, standing beside the woman a moment as they gazed across the gently splashing water.
 
"Happy Valentine's day," Alpha offered the chocolate, enjoying seeing Sensei's mildly surprised smile.
 
"Thank you," Sensei took the pouch in her hands, her eyes crinkling with her amusement. She looked just a bit sheepish, "I should have made you some, too."
 
"No, no," Alpha quickly shook her head, "that's all right." She paused and added with a smile, "If you want, you can give me chocolate in March."
 
Sensei blinked then laughed, "I'll do that."
 
Alpha fought back another smile, glad she had made the other woman laugh. They talked for awhile, chatting, as the breeze stirred their hair and the scent of salt was carried inland. It was peaceful here and quiet, away from the road and the house nearby.
 
"I wish I could run out to Yokohama," Alpha admitted softly, "and give Kokone her chocolate, but there's no way I can get out there and back today." She sighed, "I'd like to send her chocolate, but I guess it'll just have to be a card."
 
"You like Kokone a lot," Sensei said as she looked at Alpha thoughtfully, her pendant swinging around her neck.
 
"She's my closest friend," Alpha answered honestly, "she's very... dear to me."
 
"I'm glad," Sensei smiled. She turned to look out over the water, wind ruffling her hair, "I'm happy you'll have someone when us old coots are gone."
 
"Sensei," Alpha opened her mouth to protest and Sensei shushed her gently.
 
The older woman leaned forward and planted a gentle kiss on Alpha's cheek. "I'll see you tonight?" Sensei asked as they walked back towards the road.
 
"Yes, after I open the cafe for a bit," Alpha answered.
 
"No one would mind if you didn't open today," Sensei said gently as they stood beside the scooter while Alpha climbed aboard.
 
"No," Alpha shook her head, "I want to." She put her helmet on as she said, "See you later!" With a cheerful sound of her horn she was off, bumping on the rough track.
 
The rest of the morning and afternoon was filled with chocolate delivery and equally sweet conversation, moments spent with friends as they reaffirmed strong connections. Finally Alpha made her way back home, her mind slowly turning to consider the things she needed to do that afternoon. 'First I'll sweep out the cafe, then make the first pot of coffee... I wonder if I should take a photo tonight, too?' she wondered.
 
Rounding a corner Alpha's thoughts turned to Kokone, wishing that she could send chocolate through the mail to her. However the mail system was just too unreliable, the chocolate might be melted or bad by the time it reached Kokone. 'I need to get up to Yokohama and see her,' she thought firmly as she neared home, 'it's been too long.'
 
A figure stood by Alpha's cafe, her short pink hair flowing in the breeze as she waited by a scooter similar to Alpha's own. She turned as Alpha neared, her blue eyes lighting up as she smiled her greeting, "Alpha!"
 
"Kokone?" Alpha smiled, coming to a stop beside her and quickly getting off her scooter. "I was just thinking of you," she said as she hurried over to her side.
 
Kokone gently took Alpha's hands in hers, squeezing them gently. "I'm glad," she answered softly, meeting Alpha's gaze warmly. They seemed to be frozen, lost in each other's eyes for long moments until finally looking away.
 
"Are you here all day?" Alpha asked hopefully.
 
"I have a few days off from my delivery job," Kokone squeezed Alpha's hands slightly, "I'm here as long as you want me." Her eyes widened as her cheeks reddened slightly then she hurried to her scooter, "Oh, I nearly forgot."
 
"Eh?" Alpha followed her over curiously.
 
Kokone drew the package out and offered it in her cupped hands, a shy smile on her face as she said, "Happy Valentine's day, Alpha."
 
"I have some made for you, too," a fiercely blushing Alpha confessed as she took the beautifully made chocolates, "I was just trying to figure out how to get them to you."
 
"Then we'll share both bunches," Kokone said with a blush, taking Alpha's hand as they both walked over to the house.
 
"I'd like that," Alpha smiled over at Kokone, probably unaware of how their gazes lingered on each other like a caress.
 
Alpha never did open up the Cafe that afternoon, and when she and Kokone finally arrived at the party they were what used to be called fashionably late. There was a flush to both their cheeks and a glow about them, something that their friends all noted but carefully didn't comment on.
 
"What d'you think?" Ojisan asked softly, taking a drink as they watched the young women sitting together.
 
Sensei looked amused, "They certainly are cute together."
 
End.
 
Notes: For those unaware of the Japanese version of Valentine's Day, girls give homemade chocolate to the boys that they like. On March fourteenth it's White Day, where boys in turn give chocolate back to the girls. This is set somewhere in the middle of the YKK manga, more or less and if any details are off consider it poetic license, or something. ^__^