Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monster GX Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Rise of the Shadows ❯ Chapter 2 - The Shadows Return ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Author's Note: I know it's been a while since I stuck chapter 2 up, but I've been busy with real life (as much as it sucks) and just havn't had much time.
Also, seeing as I havn't yet figured out how to view any comments (if any) left by you wonderful people out there, I would appreciate an email to riseoftheshadows@hotmail.co.uk with any opinions, comments, questions, or just general anything to do with the story. I will reply as quickly as I possibly can :)

--------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------

"Alright" Kyle exclaimed confidently "It's my draw!"
"Make it something good Kyle, or this will be no challenge" Portman replied
Kyle drew, and took a look at his card. His eyes widened, and Portman laughed
"Not what you hoped? Oh well, guess it's detention for you then."
Kyle looked up at Portman, and opened his mouth to speak."
"I...." he started.....

Portman laughed harshly "The second turn, and already you're ready to give up. My, I was hoping for something a little more entertaining than this"
Kyle looked confused "Give up? Who said anything about giving up? I'll summon The Creator Incarnate (1600/1500) in attack mode!" he called out as his creature rose.
Portman just scoffed "That is your great move? A creature that comes nowhere near to the power of mine?"
"Just you wait old man. See, he has a special ability. I can send him to the graveyard to special summon The Creator from my hand, which I think I'll do" Kyle replied, grinning as his small humanoid was replaced with a huge red giant "Behold! The Creator!!" he called out (2300/3000)
Portman looked a little nervous. "So? It's still weaker than mine"
"Well just wait. Because The Creator has a special effect as well. See, by sending one monster to the graveyard from my hand, I can special summon a monster from my graveyard to the field. And guess what..."
Kyle finished the sentence with bringing back his Creator Incarnate, but he didn't stay long.
"I'll use his effect again to summon yet another of my top monsters, The Creator!!"

Now the field looked a little more even. While Portman did have his field spell cranking his Terrorking Salmon up to 2600 attack points, Kyles 2 monsters, both in defence mode with 3000 points would easily hold him. Question was, who would break the stalemate.

That was soon answered.

"I'll use my second creators effect to bring back my Gilford the Lightning (2800/1400), and this creature has enough attack points to obliterate your fish" Kyle exclaimed as he sent another monster to his graveyard and his Gilford rose, weilding a might sword and glaring at Portman
"Go Gilford, show him what TRUE strength really is!!" The creature lunged at the Terrorking Salmon, who tried to fight back but was easily dealt with. Portman cried out as his lifepoints fell <3800>
"Now who's ready to give up" Kyle smirked as Gilford settled back on his side of the field. "Your move old man"

'This little brat can't be this good! I can't let him win, how could I ever face my students?'
"I'll draw, and I will set 2 cards face-down and end my turn" Portman said, seeming strangely calm for someone who had left himself wide open.

"Wrong move old man, I'm finishing this now!" Kyle drew "I'll send a monster to the graveyard to bring back my Emes the Infinity (2500/2000) and I will attack you directly with Gilford!!"
Gilford launched forward, his blade aimed straight at Portman, when he was blasted by a wall of water, sending him tumbling backwards."What the hell happened?!" demanded Kyle as Gilford returned to his side, wiping the water from his sword
"My trap, Tornado Wall, let's me turn any battle damage I receive to 0, meaning any attack you do is worthless!" the teacher exclaimed "Get around that one"
Kyle growled, and ended his turn. Portman drew.

"Now I can get this back. I'll summon Amphibious Bugroth MK-3, and because of the fact that my Legendary Ocean is in play, he can attack you directly. Go my machine!!" cried Portman as Kyle cowered in pain <2300>
"Y-You'll have to better than that you old goat!"
"We'll see. I end my turn"

Kyle drew, and observed the field. 'So...I can't damage his lifepoints, but I can take out his monster, and stop him attacking mine.' he thought "Okay, I'll attack your machine with my Emes the Infinity, and remove him from MY field" He said cockily, as his Emes launched forward. Portman simply smiled as his machine was destroyed, the debris blocked by his Tornado Wall. "Foolish child, I'm still safe. As long as my Tornado Wall remains in play, I take no damage what-so-ever."
"That may be so," countered Kyle, "But at least my lifepoints are safe. And Emes' effect activates. See, when he destroys a monster by battle, he gains an extra 700 attack, making his climb to a total of 3000!"
"Still nothing you can do to me boy. It's only a matter of time till I draw what I need and obliterate you!"
"Whatever. I'll end my turn"

Portman drew, and he began to laugh evilly. "And what did I tell you. Say goodbye to the duel. It's been entertaining, it really has. But now it's time to see why I am regarded as the best duellist this side of the city! I summon my Mermaid Knight (1500/800) in attack mode, and as my field card is still here, she now has 1700 points."
His graceful mermaid appeared on the field, laughing as she stared down Kyle's monsters.
"But even with the boost, she still doesn't have nearly enough points to take me out" Kyle countered.
"Maybe not. But I can use her as a sacrifice."
"But you just summoned your mermaid knight!" Kyle shouted. 'Either this guy's cheating, or I'm in some serious trouble' he thought
"But there are effects that allow you an extra summon per turn. Like this, Ultimate Offering!!" the older man cried out as his trap flipped. "Now, by losing 500 lifepoints, I get an extra summon or set. So I'll pay the piper, as it were <3300> to sacrifice my knight in order to summon my Levia-Dragon, Daedalus!!"
The old man raised his arms and laughed in triumph as his serpent emerged (2600/1500) and settled itself on the field. "Now, for his effect. See, by tributing Umi when it is on the field, I can use Levia's effect to destroy every card on the field, except him of course, every monster, every spell, every trap."
"But you don't have Umi on the field!"
"No, in that you are correct. It is just unfortunate that when Legendary Ocean is played, it's name is treated as Umi. Now, watch me wipe the field clean!"
And so he did, leaving Kyle wide open, and with only 2300 lifepoints left, he was one attack away from being wiped out.
"Not...good..." the young boy moaned.
"Indeed not! Levia, attack him my beast! Show HIM the true meaning of power" Portman gloated, using Kyle's own earlier remark against him. The great serpent sent a blast of water at Kyle, and it struck with deadly accuracy. The crowd gasped and moaned, no-one wanted to see Kyle get hurt, and everytime Portman attacked with his Levia-Dragon Daedalus, someone always did.
The champion duellist was looking around the hall, savouring the look of shock on the childrens faces. 'They must be thinking the same as me' he thought to himself 'I would never admit this, but that runt came very close to beating me.' His train of thought was interrupted as someone shouted "He's still standing!!"

The hall was consumed by a chorus of shouts, cheers, and rather heated questions. But it was true, and to Portmans surprise, disgust and horror, Kyle was indeed still standing, an elf standing over him, covering him in light. "B-But How? You only had 2300 Lifepoints left!!" the old man spluttered.
"You're not the only one who can activate traps to get out of a tight spot." Kyle replied, though it did appear that the blast had taken it's toll; he was almost doubled over, sweat dropping form his forehead, and his speech was sluggish "My Waboku protected me, and I activated it just before you sent it to the graveyard, meaning my lifepoints are safe!"
"Hmph" Portman snorted "For now at least. But on my next turn I can wipe you out for sure!"

"We'll see old man" Kyle said slowly as he drew his card. 'Everything rest's on this. Help me, please...' he prayed silently. He looked at his card and he could not believe it. "This is exactly what I needed!!" he exclaimed, and composed himself. "Alright, you've been a tough opponent, but it's time I won this!"
All were shocked, but none more so than Miss Kamachi. 'How did he regain all his energy so quickly? This duel, and especially that last attack, should have left him almost nothing!" Portman was also thinking similar thoughts 'This hall is laced with dark energy...it sucks the strength out of anyone who isn't prepared for it...there's no way a 14 year old boy could withstand it!!'
"I'll summon my Winged Kuriboh (300/200) in attack mode" he continued, and almost every girl in the hall began to swoon amidst cries of "He's so cute!!" and "I just want to hug him!"
While Kuriboh seemed to be enjoying the attention, smiling and chirping happily as he was, Kyle had other plans."But I know he's no match for your beast, but just wait. I'll use the spell card Transcendant Wings, to turn him from a level 1, to a level 10!!" Kyle sent 2 of his cards to the graveyard as his Winged Kuriboh was bathed in a great light, and emerged again, as an amazing looking beast, with broad wings and a golden body. Even Portman looked worried, until he realised it's attack hadn't changed.
"Pitiful!" the old man laughed "Even though he's a level 10, impressive though that is, he still has the same attack points, so I can wipe you out in one attack!"
"We'll see" said Kyle, though strangely not as angry as he was just a few minutes ago. He seemed...tranquil, at this moment. "Make your last move"

"Don't mind if I do." answered Portman happily as he drew
'It will be my last move. After this, you won't be so complacent anymore'
"I'll summon my Giant Red Seasnake (1800/800) and I will attack your little floating furball with my new monster!!" said the old man with confidence.
As the seasnake lunged towards Kyle's Winged Kuriboh, it began to glow. Just as the serpent reached it, Winged Kuriboh exploded in a flash of light. Portman took a step back in confusion. "B...But...What on earth?"
Kyle looked at him and smiled. "You didn't think that he was all show did you?" he tutted "For shame. See, during my opponents battle phase, I can tribute my Winged Kuriboh Level 10 to destroy all face-up attack monsters on your side of the field."
"No! This can't be possible!!" exclaimed Portman as the flash of light consumed both his Giant Red Seasnake and his Levia Dragon Daedalus
"Oh it can and is. And there's more. The combined attack of all your destroyed monsters gets taken from your lifepoints. You do the math"
Portman was blasted back as Kuriboh re-appeared in front of him and blasted him for 4400 points of damage <0>

Some of the more responsible students ran to Mr Portman's side, but the vast majority were busy cheering for Kyle, who had taken what seemed to be certain defeat into what can only be described as a brilliant victory. But he didn't have time to bask in the adoration of his new fanclub, as within seconds of the duel finishing, he fell to his knees and blacked out.
Portman on the other hand was in a far more serious condition. The elder students could find no pulse, and his head was tilted at a strange angle. It was obvious that the blast backwards had caused him to fall awkwardly and break his neck. As a couple of the teachers tried to calm the students down while someone called the police and ambulance, Miss Kamachi strode away, a dark look on her face.

'So. Kyle survived his first Shadow Duel, and more than that, he killed the man who held the game in his power. I havn't seen such energy before. I must tell Master Mahad immediatly'

Slipping into a narrow corridor leading out of the hall, Miss Kamachi hurried away, while behind her medics were taking away both Kyle and the body of Mr Portman.

--------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------

'Where am I...'
'Who am I...'
'Why is this happening...'

A voice. Not his voice. Not his own, yet it was there, in his head, just as if it belonged to him.
'Who are you?' Kyle asked.
'So you're the one then.' the voice replied.
'The one what? What's going on?' Kyle questioned again.
'Whatever you do, don't wake up Kyle.' the voice said. Then laughing, it was gone.

Kyle shot up with a jerk. The second he did he fell back down, groaning with pain. His body hurt all over, his head the worst. "What the hell happened in that duel?" He asked himself.
"That, my young friend," an ominous voice answered him "Is something I would very much like to know"

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------------