Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monster GX Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Within: The Wandering Spirit ❯ Meetings with the Pro ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 2
xXx Lunchtime xXx
(Lisa's pov)
Lisa sat all by herself on an empty table. Every few minutes she took a sip at her drink. Why aren't I hungry anymore? she asked herself quietly. I must be depressed or something. I guess having no friends is finally getting to me.
Suddenly the entire cafeteria was in an uproar. Lisa firmly plugged her ears as she looked back to see what was so exciting. She listened just enough to hear what was being shouted. She wasn't surprised over what she heard. Random comments of Edo, come sit over here or even there's an empty seat at this table, Edo. Then she saw Edo Phoenix himself walking down the isles and trying to choose where to sit. She vaguely remembered seeing his name on the list of enrolled students when she signed up this year, but she didn't believe it until now.
Rolling her eyes at all of the commotion over the Pro, Lisa turned away and stirred her drink with her straw. “Stupid celebrities,” she muttered. Suddenly she heard the empty chair beside her move. Her cheeks turned a light pink as she turned her head and saw the one and only Edo Phoenix. Then they turned flaming red when he sat down next to her.
Oh, god! I hope he didn't hear me, she thought. Her heart started beating rapidly. Famous Edo Phoenix sitting right next to her? Even though she didn't like him much from what she heard on television, the thought still made her nervous. “Um…hi,” she managed to get out.
Silence.
“Why'd you… uh… decide to… sit by me?” she stuttered.
Edo didn't even look at her as he spoke. “Simple,” he stated. “This was the only table that wasn't shouting my name.”
“O-oh,” she struggled to say. Of course that's why he sat here. What answer was I hoping for? She rolled her eyes at herself. “So you don't like fans?” she asked curiously.
“Fans are okay,” he said. “I just don't like them on my heels all the time.”
Lisa nodded and looked away. For some reason she could hardly get her body to function and appeared very still to any onlookers. "Um... I heard you're from America," she said in attempt to start a conversation. "I am, too."
No reply. Lisa took the hint and stopped trying to small talk.
It was then that two girls whom she had tried to sit by earlier came and attempted to take seats at the somewhat empty table.
“I thought you two didn't want to sit with me,” Lisa commented, “so beat it.”
The blonde one sighed regretfully as she was startled into sitting up. “Well, we changed our minds.” Then she put her tray down although she did not sit down yet. It was as though she knew if she made one more move, Lisa would become very angry.
The other brown-haired girl nodded in agreement, apparently not noting Lisa's delicate temper at that moment. “Yeah, we want to be your friends,” she told Lisa but excitedly looked at Edo.
“No, you just want to use me,” Lisa corrected. “And guess what? I don't want anything more to do with you.” Her green eyes angrily examined the two girls. “So I'll tell you one more time. Beat it!”
“No seriously, um… ugh, I can't remember your name—“ the blonde one started in attempt to fix the situation.
“I'm Lisa,” she interrupted angrily. “And I don't want to be your friend—“
“Yeah, that was it. Lisa. We really want to be friends with you now—“ The blonde was interrupted again, but not by whom she expected.
“I believe after someone says no twice it's pointless to continue asking, so get lost,” Edo cut off sharply. The two girls looked surprised for a moment and then heart-broken. Finally they left in tears.
Lisa ignored them and looked at Edo, a smile on her face. That was nice of him, she thought. “Hey, thanks for sticking up for me,” she said politely.
Edo smirked and stood up. He had finished eating at that point. “The only reason I did that was so I didn't have a bunch of fan girls after me,” the Pro explained. “Anyway I better go. See ya.” With his hands in his pockets, Edo walked slowly away without so much as glancing back.
Lisa smiled, but felt angry with herself inside. Duh! half of her told herself. Why else would he do that for you? He doesn't like you, and you don't like him and that's final. Then her other half that thought Edo could actually be a nice guy kicked in.
So then why do you feel so jumpy whenever you think about him? that half argued.
Because he's a Pro. Anyone would feel that way around him, even a boy, Lisa's first, practical half explained.
But I wanna make sure just in case, her inward self decided.
“Wait,” Lisa shouted after him. He turned and looked at her without a single expression on his face. “If you want, you can come sit here tomorrow… But only if you want… I mean, I won't be, you know, mad or anything if you don't. And my name's Lisa, by the way.”
Lisa inwardly groaned at what she just said. That was so stupid. So stupid! He's probably gonna laugh at me now, or maybe never set eyes on me again. But to her surprise Edo just nodded and turned away in an obvious attempt to be polite. What she didn't know was that he was smiling when he faced the other way. Edo smiled only when he knew that no one would see him. But someone had been watching studiously, had seen and heard everything…
Suddenly Lisa saw someone ahead of Edo. First the strange boy stared at the Pro, and then he quickly transferred his gaze to Lisa herself. The boy was at least two inches taller than her. His dirty-blonde hair covered his forehead and half of his blue eyes. The only problem was that he appeared too perfectly proportioned and flawless to be completely human. He sneered unnaturally at Lisa and then turned and walked away.
(Jaden and his friend's POV)
“Wow!… I… love lunch…” Judai said in between bites.
“Well, you are always hungry,” commented Shou, who had finished eating a while ago along with Kenzan. Judai had got seconds and then thirds, too.
Kenzan nodded. “That's true.”
A boy that looked a year younger than Judai walked over to their table. “Hey, guys. What's up?” He selfishly pulled up a chair and sat down next to them.
“Uh…hi,” Shou said after everyone else refused to greet the boy. “Are you new this year?”
“Yup,” the boy said. “The name's Tanjiro if you want to know.”
Judai smiled excitedly. “So you're a duelist right?”
Tanjiro nodded. “Of course. I specialize in summoning high level monsters without sacrifices.”
“Wow! Really?!” Judai exclaimed, amazed. “I gotta duel you.”
“You up for it right now?”
“Of course—“ At that moment the bell rang signaling to get ready for the next class.
“Oops,” Tanjiro said and stood up. He pushed his hair out of his face. “Looks like we're too late. Maybe later, Judai.” Judai nodded his goodbye.
Kenzan stepped right on Tanjiro's path to class. “Hold on, Tanjiro. How did you know Judai's name?”
“Kenzan's right,” Shou agreed. He stood up by Kenzan
Tanjiro's face became very opaque and perfectly flawless as it creeped even the terrific Kenzan out. He transformed to completely emotionless on the outside and as though he was hiding something on the inside. “Judai's the best duelist around here. It's your names I don't know,” he explained so emotionlessly that it could either be a lie or the truth. Kenzan and Shou didn't know anymore.
Judai popped his head over. “Hey, guys, it's cool.” He smiled. “Everyone knows my name,” he added, arrogantly lifting his head and closing his eyes. Kenzan backed down from Tanjiro, who began walking away.
“I don't trust him,” Kenzan remarked after Tanjiro left. Judai and Shou were walking slowly to class along with him.
Judai yawned, ready to fall back asleep in class as soon as they got there. “Who? Tanjiro? He seemed like a nice enough guy. A good duelist too.”
Kenzan shrugged. “I still don't trust him. Still neutral, Shou?”
“I could go either way, but…” Shou paused. “Judai, you didn't see Tanjiro's face. It was so… oh, what's the word?”
“Inhuman?” Judai guessed. Shou and Kenzan fell (anime-style).
“There goes my argument,” Shou responded, amused.
“You know, we better hurry or we'll be late for class,” Judai said as he started to run. “Not that I mind. It's just I don't want to have even more detention for tomorrow.”
The three of them made it to class just in time.