Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monster GX Fan Fiction ❯ Life in the Pro League, or Lack Thereof! ❯ Visiting America ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
A/N: The next couple of chapters will be a mini-arc about Ryo being forced to go to America.for a magazine interview. I’m still sorting through all the ideas, but I have thought of some that I definitely want to put in. Oh yeah, I will try to keep this chapter void of excessive exclamation points. To get said exclamation points out of my system, I’ll put them on the following line:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There! Now they won’t get in the way of the story.

Expect some bashing of American culture. Remember, Ryo, being Japanese, is bound to think our customs are odd.

Disclaimer: I don’t own Yu-Gi-Oh GX or any of the products/companies/people that may be mentioned in the next few chapters.


Ryo could not believe his ears. He knew his agent was stupid, but this surpassed any previous stupidity.

His agent actually wanted him to fly to America and be interviewed for some magazine written for teenage girls! What is more, the agent had hinted that they would have a photo shoot. Ryo hated having his picture taken. Why smile when nothing was funny?

Unfortunately, Ryo had learned by now that his agent was so convincing, he would probably be able to do something like sell shojo manga to little old ladies if he tried enough. Next to that, convincing Ryo to go to America was nothing!



Ryo had accomplished one major task: he had gotten on the airplane without getting any major injuries as a result of mobbing by fangirls. Now that the plane was nearly 10 kilometers above ground, Ryo finally felt safe. He took out an exceedingly boring magazine from his bag. He thought it might help him go to sleep.

He had barely gotten past the table of contents when he got an eerie feeling that he was being watched. Ryo tried to ignore this feeling, but soon he could swear that someone was breathing on him.

He looked up, only to see that every single female flight attendant was crowded around his seat.

“Um...can I touch your arm?” one of the women asked hesitatingly.

“NO!” Ryo shouted, causing the attendants to scatter in a record time.

After that incident, Ryo was awake all night, despite his first-class seat that reclined virtually all the way back.


When the plane finally reached America, Ryo was in a bad mood. All he wanted to do was find a hotel so that he could get some sleep.

One good thing about America was that no-one even gave Ryo a second glance. In Japan, Ryo was among the tallest men his age. In America, he was average height at best. Ryo had heard that Americans were tall, but this was ridiculous! Oh well. If it made it so he wasn’t singled out, he was fine with it.

After he got his luggage back, Ryo wandered around looking for something decent to eat. He discovered that this would be a losing battle. Even the stuff that looked good was much too big. He saw one pastry store carrying treats big enough to feed his whole family. Even then, there would probably be leftovers!

He finally settled on a fish sandwich, meticulously picking the breading off the fish part. This earned him many curious looks from passersby. Ryo wanted to say, “How can you even taste the fish with this stuff on it?” but decided to keep quiet. The American staring was getting on Ryo’s nerves, so he left the airport as soon as possible.He flagged down a taxi, and told the driver to take him to his hotel.

----------------

In the next part, Ryo will be made to participate in activities that we Americans think of as “fun”. Ryo will just think of them as “stupid”!