Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monster GX Fan Fiction ❯ Life in the Pro League, or Lack Thereof! ❯ Ryo's Plots ( Chapter 16 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I still don’t own anything.

-------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------------

The next morning turned out to be beautiful. The sunlight streamed through the flap at the front of the tent. The birds were singing. A strong smell of smoke was in the air, and...

Wait a minute. What was that last part again? Smoke in the air? That could only mean one thing.

Monkey had obviously found the matches.

He had relit the fire. Well, relit was an understatement. The fire was now a bonfire two meters in diameter! It stopped less than a meter from where Ryo was currently standing.

Change of plans. First Ryo would have to put out the fire. THEN he could abandon Monkey in the wilderness.

Putting out the fire turned out to be quite a chore. Not only did it require most of their extra water, but Monkey kept relighting the edges when Ryo wasn’t looking! However, it did eventually get done.

------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------------------------------------


As it turned out, the fire was a blessing in disguise. Now Ryo had an excuse for venturing into the wilderness-he had to get more water!

As soon as breakfast was over, the two set off. Ryo took care to hide the matches first.

A bit into the woods, the trail divided in two. Ryo remembered which part led to the river. But chances were that Monkey didn’t.

“The river is over that way. You go ahead and find it. I’ll mark our path so we won’t get lost on the way back,” Ryo said.

They started off. As soon as Ryo was a considerable distance behind, he ran back to the other, correct path and refilled their canteens.

Ryo couldn’t help but be a bit excited. Monkey was gone! Oh sure, he’d probably find his way back eventually, but Ryo would have definitely went back to Tokyo by then.

In fact, maybe he’d cut the trip short, just to be safe. He’d start packing right away.

Just as Ryo was approaching the safety of the campsite, however, he felt it. The NECK-BREATHING OF PERIL!
Sure enough, Monkey had been right behind him all the time!

“It wasn’t the right path.” Monkey pointed out.

“Sorry...” was all Ryo could say.

------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------


Okay. Now it was time for Plan B.

Ryo thought up what he believed was an even better plan. He would send Monkey off to find firewood. This time, he’d send Monkey alone, so there would be no one for him to follow.

Monkey seemed happy enough to do the chore. Thankfully, he seemed to not have caught on to Ryo’s plan.

An hour passed. Then two. Still no sign of Monkey!

Ryo dared to be hopeful. The hope would not last long.

Ryo was almost done packing when he started to hear a dragging noise. The noise kept getting louder.

Finally, Monkey walked into the camp. He was dragging a whole tree! It had been apparently dug up by the roots.

Just how was such a skinny guy dragging that whole tree? And how had he dug it up without so much as a garden spade?

The one foolproof answer for everything: He could do it because he was Monkey.

Monkey dropped the tree right in front of Ryo. Some leaves and twigs flew off and hit Ryo in the face.

“I hope this is enough!” Monkey said in a supposedly cheerful voice. But the smirk on his face was all too obvious.

Ryo said nothing. He just sweatdropped.

---------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------


Plan C would work for sure! It just HAD to.

Ryo sure had plenty of time to think about it as he dragged the tree back a safe distance away from camp.
Finally, he thought of something. It was a bit desperate, but it would have to do.

He would send Monkey out to gather some berries. There just so happened to be a huge bush of bright red berries right outside the camp.

Ryo knew that the berries were a poisonous type. He would just “forget” to tell Monkey that.

“Be sure to taste them first!” Ryo called after Monkey as happily as he could.

Monkey was back in less than five minutes. He was rolling his eyes.

“Kaiser, that’s your dumbest plan yet. EVERYONE knows that bright red berries are usually poisonous!”

Wait a minute. So he had known all this time? That just figured.

Now, Ryo thought, it was time for Plan D. Namely, just trying to survive the rest of the trip without Monkey burning down the whole forest.



Not much happened the rest of the day. Ryo was tired from thinking up his plans, and Monkey was tired from pretending to be fooled by those plans.

They basically just had supper and went to bed. Ryo made sure Monkey stayed in the tent this time.

Just one more day, and then they could go back. Now the goal was not to get rid of Monkey. It was just to plan enough activities to keep Monkey’s mind off mass destruction!